Daredevil #13

Avatar image for undeadpool
Posted by Undeadpool (726 posts) - - Show Bio

The Good

Mark Waid is proving that the notion that major comic publishers aren’t doing anything new with their already established characters is a myth. Waid has taken Daredevil to places that are familiar to any longtime fan of ol’ Hornhead, but are still telling unique, interesting stories that have really never been seen. The names are all familiar, but the events are dynamic and bottomlessly interesting. Case-in-point: the return of the Owl. Waid had previously included him in an arc, but left it on a mysterious moment of Owl seemingly having come into powers of his own, but what they were weren’t clear. By the end of this issue, he not only shows us what they are, but lets us know that they have the potential to take the character to a completely unseen level of villainy. A lot of times when an unpowered villain gains powers, they’re not the most dynamic abilties, or they’re very 1:1 with the villain’s personality. This power makes sense, but it’s defintiely not the first thing one would think of with the Owl. The main storyline of the book focuses on Matt’s anxiety over his identity being public and it placing Kirsten McDuffie in danger, but as Waid does best: this also gets turned on its head in a way that is both brilliant and so utterly satisfying to read. McDuffie’s clearly being set up as not just an equal to Matt in terms of her wit and candor, but her ability to look after herself AND have a life outside of the fact that she’s dating Daredevil, and Waid is doing a great job making it feel organic and normal.

Chris Samnee, sharing a storyteller credit with Waid as he always does, has some phenomenal linework in this issue. There isn’t a lot of what could be called “action,” but there’s a ton of tension and a great intensity to the middle and end of the issue. Samnee is also amazing at using negative space in a way that feels like it’s serving the story rather than a way to cut corners. The darkness helps set the mood and the creative use of shadows helps reinforce that Murdock’s life is, even at its happiest, shrouded in shadow. Matthew Wilson provides colors and is also tremendous at establishing tone and tenor. Even when this book is bright, it STILL manages to have an air of sinister darkness, but it never becomes overbearing nor does it prevent the bright spots from having their own sense of whimsy.

The Bad

There’s not much in here that isn’t great. There are SOME concerns over where this story, particularly as it relates to Kirsten is going based on where Daredevil’s romances usually go, but holding a possible future storyline against this issue isn’t fair, and the issue itself is incredible.

The Verdict

This is an issue that sets a lot up, but never feels like it’s either filler or getting overly expositional, and that has got to be a difficult job. Waid and Samnee seem more than up for the task though, and based on what they’ve started with this issue, it seems that there’s going to be a great deal of payoff here, particularly since the Owl has been a specter hanging over the title, and for him to finally come through is thrilling.

Avatar image for crazyscarecrow
#1 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (2312 posts) - - Show Bio

As always excited for a brand new issue of Daredevil. I really hope Kirsten makes it out Waid's and Samnee's run alive. I would hate to see her go like all of Daredevil's old girls. I really, really, really like Kirsten. I hope she sticks around for a long time.

Avatar image for longbowhunter
#2 Posted by longbowhunter (9425 posts) - - Show Bio

The "I have my own arch-foe!" moment was pretty great. Nice seeing the Shroud again too, even if it is leading to something awful.

Avatar image for daredevil21134
#3 Posted by daredevil21134 (15939 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope Bullseye murders Kirstin

Avatar image for grenadeflow
#4 Posted by GrenadeFlow (2140 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
#5 Edited by deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3 (12864 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for sparty_dbq
#6 Posted by sparty-dbq (967 posts) - - Show Bio

Little tip for you folks:

Doin' it on the beach? Not that great.

Avatar image for weddep
#7 Posted by Weddep (78 posts) - - Show Bio
@sprior93 said:

@grenadeflow: @daredevil21134: Damn, you guys don't give up lol

Yeah, it's really funny to see how some people hate Waid's run so much that they can't find even a single redeeming quality in it. I'm in the majority when I say that his run has been great. It brought a lot to DD's mythos like the truth about his mother, deeply explaining Matt's depression and why DD has been written as both dark and light-hearted in the past.

Avatar image for daredevil21134
#8 Edited by daredevil21134 (15939 posts) - - Show Bio

@weddep said:
@sprior93 said:

@grenadeflow: @daredevil21134: Damn, you guys don't give up lol

Yeah, it's really funny to see how some people hate Waid's run so much that they can't find even a single redeeming quality in it. I'm in the majority when I say that his run has been great. It brought a lot to DD's mythos like the truth about his mother, deeply explaining Matt's depression and why DD has been written as both dark and light-hearted in the past.

It's also funny to see how some people let a minority of people's opinion bug them so much.I didn't hating on a character was also considered hating on the writer or the series.But whatever.

Avatar image for weddep
#9 Edited by Weddep (78 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134 said:

It's also funny to see how some people let a minority of people's opinion bug them so much.I didn't hating on a character was also considered hating on the writer or the series.But whatever.

You are pretty vocal with your disdain for the series and Waid. It is your opinion, and you seem well versed with Daredevil so it is what it is. I only found it funny that you have now come up with yet another reason to hate the series with Kirsten. I don't share your opinion obviously, but again, it is an opinion and we are both entitled to them. I hope you get the Daredevil series you are looking for as you seem like a fan. I'm just lucky that I really enjoy Waid's run I guess as I can enjoy reading new Daredevil books every month.

Avatar image for daredevil21134
#11 Posted by daredevil21134 (15939 posts) - - Show Bio

@weddep said:

@daredevil21134 said:

It's also funny to see how some people let a minority of people's opinion bug them so much.I didn't hating on a character was also considered hating on the writer or the series.But whatever.

You are pretty vocal with your disdain for the series and Waid. It is your opinion, and you seem well versed with Daredevil so it is what it is. I only found it funny that you have now come up with yet another reason to hate the series with Kirsten. I don't share your opinion obviously, but again, it is an opinion and we are both entitled to them. I hope you get the Daredevil series you are looking for as you seem like a fan. I'm just lucky that I really enjoy Waid's run I guess as I can enjoy reading new Daredevil books every month.

Of course but in this instance I wasn't hating on Waid.And me not liking Kirstin is nothing new.I loved the Bendis series and hated Milla so just cause I don't like Kirstin doesn't mean I'm hating on the series.I actually have respect for the people who like it even though I don't understand why.

Avatar image for owie
#12 Posted by Owie (7248 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't care so much for the last Stuntman arc, but this brought it all back in full force. I'm really on board with Waid's Shroud, and I agree, I like how the Owl's new power is nothing you expect him to get, it adds something all new to him. And Kirsten's last scene or two there were fantastic.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#13 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for starbrand1
#14 Posted by StarBrand1 (661 posts) - - Show Bio

everytime i start really liking the shroud, waid does this and makes me feel like hes awful. i want to like him!

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
#15 Posted by deactivated-097092725 (10555 posts) - - Show Bio

Really jamming it into my throat here. I get it, already. Kirsten is just totes perf and stuff.

Little tip for you folks:

Doin' it on the beach? Not that great.

Haha, right? I mean...thanks for the tip. >_>

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.