Follow

Daredevil

Character » Daredevil appears in 4764 issues.

As a child, Matt Murdock was blinded by radioactive waste while trying to save an elderly stranger about to get hit by a truck carrying the dangerous material. In turn, his other senses were heightened to superhuman sharpness and he gained a form of "radar sense". By day, he is a successful trial lawyer; but by night, he guards Hell's Kitchen as Daredevil: the Man Without Fear.

Should I read Daredevil by Mark Waid (2011-

• 59 results
    Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Poll Should I read Daredevil by Mark Waid (2011- (38 votes)

Yes 82%
    No 18%

I have never read Daredevil and I have noticed that the series gets very good reviews, I just need some advice on this.

• 
    CptPanda29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yes, it's been one of the most consistently brilliant books with loads of WHAAAAAAT moments.

It's dope.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

No!

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If I was you I would start reading The Man Without Fear (DD's Year one) then Born Again (also by Miller) after this Guardian Devil by Kevin Smith and last Jepg Loebs DD Yellow. After this you can either start reading Bendis, Millers or Brubaker's run.

Howard_Go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the waid run and i honestly didnt care for daredevil at the beginning now he's in my top five favorite superheroes

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#5  Edited By Extremis

I haven't even read it and I say Yes

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Nope there are better runs to start reading

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

I haven't even read it and I say Yes

Sigh.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for banestrokelobogrundybatarrow
    BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Only if your a DD fan.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By the_tree

If you don't mind a more lighthearted Daredevil, then yes. You should check it out and form your own opinion.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are better stories of a lighthearted Daredevil than Waid's run.Joe Kelly and Karl Kesel are both better

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

It's no longer that dark character he was before but I like the book.It's not as good as Bendis' or Brubaker's run but it is quite good.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis: Why recommend something you haven't read.

There are better stories of a lighthearted Daredevil than Waid's run.Joe Kelly and Karl Kesel are both better

Five me the trade.

JJ62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's not as good as previous DD runs, but it is still amazing and easily top 2 Marvel titles out right now.

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 52

You could read daredevil dark of days?

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz said:

@daredevil21134 said:

Five me the trade.

There is none.You gotta read back issues bro

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tupiaz

@daredevil21134 said:

@tupiaz said:

@daredevil21134 said:

Five me the trade.

There is none.You gotta read back issues bro

I know. It was meant as a complaint.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a good read but DD isn't emo here so some people have a problem with that.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m3th said:

That's not why we complain.I've read a lot of great Daredevil stories without him being emo

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m3th said:

For me it is more the loose plots and and the use of Deus Ex Machina (the Omega Drive). Not that the Omega Drive in it self is a bad idea. but that it just kid bumps into DD's hands out of nowhere bugs me.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz: Could you specify some of the loose plots for me please. I don't have a problem with the Deus Ex Machina, and I think is very common in fiction. But, I respect your opinion.

@daredevil21134 :

Ok fair enough. I've just seen a lot of complaints saying that Waids DD isn't the one they know and love. I've seen people give examples of the "real" DD that for me are examples of an emo character.

Would you mind informing me on great stories of DD where he's not emo. I am interested.

Thanks for reading and replying (if you do.)

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc95e8faaad6
    deactivated-5cc95e8faaad6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m3th said:

@tupiaz: Could you specify some of the loose plots for me please. I don't have a problem with the Deus Ex Machina, and I think is very common in fiction. But, I respect your opinion.

@daredevil21134 :

Ok fair enough. I've just seen a lot of complaints saying that Waids DD isn't the one they know and love. I've seen people give examples of the "real" DD that for me are examples of an emo character.

Would you mind informing me on great stories of DD where he's not emo. I am interested.

"Emo Character"... you silly child. :)

OldManDuncan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's great and fun stuff. But not the best work featuring Daredevil.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By daredevil21134

@m3th said:

@daredevil21134 :

Yes, the stories Denny O'neil wrote are classic noir style Daredevil stories that don't have Matt Murdock walking around brooding on how crappy his life is 27/7.They are fun good stories that have it's own style of humor.Look no further than a character called Micah Synn.He also wrote an epic story where Daredevil went to Japan and met a woman named Yuriko who would later become Lady Deathstrike,it one of my favorite Daredevil stories ever.A lot of people assume Mark Waid critics don't like his work because he writes a lighter tone but that's not true I have other reasons why I don't like his work outside of the tone of the book.Another writer that wrote a lot of good noir style Daredevil stories was Ann Nocenti,a lot of people just remember her for her Typhoid Mary stories but she had one of the longest runs in Daredevil history and a lot of her stories had a kind,gentle Matt Murdock trying rebuild his life after Born Again with Karen Page they were even some funny parts with a group of kids named the Fat boys.Her Daredevil didn't really start brooding until towards the end of her 5 year run.D.G Chichester also wrote a lot of stories of a not so brooding Matt Murdock,but kept the book very adult orientated,but just like Nocenti people only remember him for his Fall from Grace and Tree of Knowledge stories but before that he had wrote good noir style crime stories without screwing with Murdock's personal life too much, as a matter fact he wrote my favorite Daredevil and Spider-Man team up when they take on a criminal named the surgeon general.There are ways to write good Daredevil stories without him complaining about how crappy his life is and staying true to who he is.Which is a bad ass street vigilante that lets his fighting do the talking.You don't have to ruin his personal life to make good Daredevil stories nor do you have to make him some lighthearted,quick witted swash buckling super hero either.Daredevil Redemption is also another story that was good without screwing with his personal life.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m3th said:

@daredevil21134 :

First issue seven that won a fucking eisner award (that makes my head hurt) where Daredevil is on a field trip the bus crashes and Matt put on his suits. It doesn't make sense since the the children is calling him Matt. If he hadn't put it on it would have been a great story. Then there is the story arch with Mole Man and the reason DD fights him is pure accidentital since the Mole Man is lfor his death wife and there takes down Matt's father's grave. It just feel cheap and could have been done better.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tupiaz
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz said:

@daredevil21134 said:

as a matter fact he wrote my favorite Daredevil and Spider-Man team up when they take on a criminal named the surgeon general.

Funny I have heard people complain about it:http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/linkara/at4w/6072-dd305 and http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/linkara/at4w/6209-dd306

Well,I enjoyed it.It definitely had it flaws but overall I enjoyed the team up

It is fair. I don't mind the concept even though it is just an urban legend it is still an interesting idea.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz: @daredevil21134:

Thank you for sharing. I feel like I understand the dislike for Waid's DD more.

@Piaz: I honestly didn't have a problem with the moleman story. Again the Deus Ex Machina is common for me. I also personally understood why Matt put on the mask. *Spoiler* I can't hide it so stop reading*** I remember his clothes being ripped and like most heroes he had his costume underneath so instead of people seeing Matt Murdoc wearing a DD costume he chose to put on the mask and blindfold the kids so they heard his voice "seeing" Matt. That is just my interpretation of the situation though.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By daredevil21134

@m3th said:

@Piaz: I honestly didn't have a problem with the moleman story. Again the Deus Ex Machina is common for me. I also personally understood why Matt put on the mask. *Spoiler* I can't hide it so stop reading*** I remember his clothes being ripped and like most heroes he had his costume underneath so instead of people seeing Matt Murdoc wearing a DD costume he chose to put on the mask and blindfold the kids so they heard his voice "seeing" Matt. That is just my interpretation of the situation though.

no prop

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m3th said:

no prop

This might be true, I will give it a another try. The Moleman story still seems cheap though.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz: I aint mad atcha. I respect your opinion.

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RedLantern23

I really enjoy it. I'm a casual Daredevil fan but it has grabbed my attention. I cant compare it to past stories but I think they do a good job. The latest few issues and characters introduced have kept things interesting.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m3th said:

@tupiaz: I aint mad atcha. I respect your opinion.

Why should you be mad?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know, I wish the villain revealed in Daredevil 26 would have been Death Stalker.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz: Disregard. It's just something I always say.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#39 vance_astro  Moderator

@daredevil21134 said:

It would make more sense to read current Daredevil instead of trying to find extremely old issues. If they have the same style of Daredevil, then there should be nothing wrong with reading Waid's Daredevil.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

It would make more sense to read current Daredevil instead of trying to find extremely old issues. If they have the same style of Daredevil, then there should be nothing wrong with reading Waid's Daredevil.

Just because something has the same style doesn't mean they are equal in quality. Blessed Death and Slayer both play Thrash metal, Slayer is good blessed death is bad. Style has nothing to do with quality. Your premise is therefore false.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@tupiaz said:

Just because something has the same style doesn't mean they are equal in quality. Blessed Death and Slayer both play Thrash metal, Slayer is good blessed death is bad. Style has nothing to do with quality. Your premise is therefore false.

This also doesn't have anything to do with what I'm saying. He may not even be able to FIND Joe Kelly's run, so IF he's fine with a more light-heated approach to Daredevil it would make more sense to TRY Waid's run. Quality is in the eye of the beholder, I'm not arguing quality, I was talking about style for a reason.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz said:

This also doesn't have anything to do with what I'm saying. He may not even be able to FIND Joe Kelly's run, so IF he's fine with a more light-heated approach to Daredevil it would make more sense to TRY Waid's run. Quality is in the eye of the beholder, I'm not arguing quality, I was talking about style for a reason.

Again style doesn't real do much here you can either eat a cake made of garbage or chocolate. Most would pick Chokolate because it is better. The reason Joe Kelly was mention was to give a better version of the lighter Daredevil. The thing there is wrong is that the opinion was that Waid's run is bad. You then claim because the have the same style it doesn't matter which one you choose. Well it does because when it come down to what matter it is the quality nit the style. The OP was just being lead towards a better version of the lighter one. Also Kelly's run should be able to be track down either digital or in most comic shops. There aren't on the most wanted poster of comics.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 vance_astro  Moderator
    @tupiaz said:

Again style doesn't real do much here you can either eat a cake made of garbage or chocolate. Most would pick Chokolate because it is better. The reason Joe Kelly was mention was to give a better version of the lighter Daredevil. The thing there is wrong is that the opinion was that Waid's run is bad. You then claim because the have the same style it doesn't matter which one you choose. Well it does because when it come down to what matter it is the quality nit the style. The OP was just being lead towards a better version of the lighter one. Also Kelly's run should be able to be track down either digital or in most comic shops. There aren't on the most wanted poster of comics.

Your garbage\chocolate analogy doesn't make any sense. I know why Joe Kelly was mentioned but a user is asking if they should read current Daredevil because they are trying to get into the character. The style is one of the reasons that some people don't like the book. So style and quality are being lumped together. If he doesn't have a problem with style he should try Waid's run. It's the only thing happening with Daredevil that matters right now.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

I know.I just was giving out a suggestion

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz said:

Your garbage\chocolate analogy doesn't make any sense. I know why Joe Kelly was mentioned but a user is asking if they should read current Daredevil because they are trying to get into the character. The style is one of the reasons that some people don't like the book. So style and quality are being lumped together. If he doesn't have a problem with style he should try Waid's run. It's the only thing happening with Daredevil that matters right now.

1. Of cause the cake analogy make sense they are the same style and one is good the other isn't.

2. The style is not necessary the reason why people don't like Wais run. Again just because something are the same Style doesn't mean it is good. There for it makes more sense to try something good rather than something bad. How hard it was to find I don't really cared for.

3. The story isn't good there is no reason why you should read a bad comic just because it is ongoing. It is better to then just read old good comics.

Anyway I don't feel like debating this for ever since we are not going anywhere.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@tupiaz said:

1. Of cause the cake analogy make sense they are the same style and one is good the other isn't.

It doesn't make sense because of course those a both cakes but if you put GARBAGE in a cake it's not up for interpretation of whether it's a good cake or not. It's not and nobody will say otherwise. Comics are an art form, how good it is..is opinion based.

@tupiaz said:

2.The style is not necessary the reason why people don't like Wais run.

I've read posts on comicvine that say otherwise.

@tupiaz said:

Again just because something are the same Style doesn't mean it is good. There for it makes more sense to try something good rather than something bad. How hard it was to find I don't really cared for.

Why are you saying this "again"? I'm not arguing with this and it doesn't have anything to do with what I'm saying. I was never making a point about equal quality. I'm dismissing quality altogether because I don't know how the user who made the thread will receive Waid's run, I don't know there style or what they like. I'm taking a more objective approach. If among runs with the same style, you don't like Waid's run, there's no reason to read any of it; you might want to lean toward a darker style Daredevil instead, because Kelly and Kesel's runs are irrelevant now. It's not like with Miller's where going back will be beneficial to understanding the character.

@tupiaz said:

3. The story isn't good there is no reason why you should read a bad comic just because it is ongoing. It is better to then just read old good comics

This sentence should have started with "if". The user who made the thread doesn't know if it's bad or not, that's why they are asking.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't make sense because of course those a both cakes but if you put GARBAGE in a cake it's not up for interpretation of whether it's a good cake or not. It's not and nobody will say otherwise. Comics are an art form, how good it is..is opinion based.

This is still a taste you can say that most people or a normal person wouldn't eat it.

2.The style is not necessary the reason why people don't like Wais run.

I've read posts on comicvine that say otherwise.

There is plenty of post that don't like Waid's run for other reasons for instance because of the plot holes/weak plots. And I know for a fact that daredevil21134 dislike Waid's run for other reasons than the style.

@tupiaz said:

Again just because something are the same Style doesn't mean it is good. There for it makes more sense to try something good rather than something bad. How hard it was to find I don't really cared for.

Why are you saying this "again"? I'm not arguing with this and it doesn't have anything to do with what I'm saying. I was never making a point about equal quality. I'm dismissing quality altogether because I don't know how the user who made the thread will receive Waid's run, I don't know there style or what they like. I'm taking a more objective approach. If among runs with the same style, you don't like Waid's run, there's no reason to read any of it; you might want to lean toward a darker style Daredevil instead, because Kelly and Kesel's runs are irrelevant now. It's not like with Miller's where going back will be beneficial to understanding the character.

There could be plenty of reasons to checkout different writers with same style, if what you this like is something else than the style. You don't know why the readers don't like Waid's run (assuming they are) and therefore the might like Kelly and Kesel's runs. The two runs don't become irrelevant because you don't like Waid's run.

This sentence should have started with "if". The user who made the thread doesn't know if it's bad or not, that's why they are asking.

I know the reason he/she the are asking. My point is there is no reason to read a bad ongoing title just because it is ongoing. Then it is better to just read a good old book.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.