Follow

Daredevil

Character » Daredevil appears in 4764 issues.

As a child, Matt Murdock was blinded by radioactive waste while trying to save an elderly stranger about to get hit by a truck carrying the dangerous material. In turn, his other senses were heightened to superhuman sharpness and he gained a form of "radar sense". By day, he is a successful trial lawyer; but by night, he guards Hell's Kitchen as Daredevil: the Man Without Fear.

Reading Miller's Run For the First Time

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By renamed040924

Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Vol. 1

After much deliberation, I finally pressed that confirm sale button on Comixology. They must be having some kind of super sale, because the original price was $24.99 but I got it for only $4.99. I checked Barnes and Noble and the price was the same, $24.99, so how on Earth could I resist such an opportunity? The thing that held me back most was that I really would have preferred a physical copy, but when you've got a deal like that you can't really say no.

I'm looking at the description now. Damn, Spectacular Spider-Man #27-28, Daredevil #158-161, AND #163-172?! That's 14 issues! For only five bucks, oh my goodness what a steal, I almost feel like I'm missing something when it said only $4.99. That is QUITE a bargain!

But enough about that, I would have bought the book even at regular price tag. Bit of background; I've always considered myself a Daredevil fan, but the truth is aside from an omnibus that I read as a child and barely remember (it included the story where Karen Page learned Matt's secret identity and also a story where some D-grade villain found out Daredevil's identity and forced Matt to fake his death, if that helps narrow it down) I haven't actually read any Daredevil comics. After the Netflix series, I figured the perfect re-introduction to one of the coolest superheroes around would be Miller's acclaimed run, which is often regarded as signature Daredevil material. Did I make a good choice? Y'all excited to see someone else who will soon join your ranks?

I'll keep this thread updated on my progress through the run, for anyone interested. Well, here I go!

EDIT: In the meantime, does anyone have something that'll put me in a "Daredevil-mood" before I begin?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@nickzambuto: Keep in mind that vol 1 of that paper back only has like one story actually written by Miller

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: Keep in mind that vol 1 of that paper back only has like one story actually written by Miller

Damn, too late now. That's kinda... wrong then, how they market it as the beginning of Miller's run. When does his legendary run that people always talk about actually begin?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@nickzambuto: He starts co-writing with Roger McKenzie on Daredevil #165, but it really picks up at #168 and onwards(imo). Also, while I like the run, I think 'legendary' is pushing it a little bit; lower your expectations.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: I think he was doing the art before he starts writing

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So the first two issues were from Spectacular Spider-Man #27-28, a story arc where Spider-Man lost his vision and had to team up with Daredevil, the arc was titled "The Blind Leading The Blind". The whole arc was hilarious in an awful way, terrible dialogue, everything was so cheesy, it was pretty much the most "comic booky" story I've ever read. Hopefully things pick up now that I'm getting into the actual Daredevil stuff.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 said:

@nickzambuto: He starts co-writing with Roger McKenzie on Daredevil #165, but it really picks up at #168 and onwards(imo). Also, while I like the run, I think 'legendary' is pushing it a little bit; lower your expectations.

It's usually cited as some of the best Daredevil reading material out there. Since the first two issues with Spider-Man though, my expectations are plenty low :P.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: You probably should have just started at vol 2, that's actually where Miller get's proper creative control on the book. Also you should read Man WIthout Fear first.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: It'll get much better once you get to #163-172. If you end up not enjoying those issues, then you probably won't like the rest of the run, and I suggest jumping to Bendis's stuff.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@sprior93: And skip Man WIthout Fear and Born Again???

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@nickzambuto: You probably should have just started at vol 2, that's actually where Miller get's proper creative control on the book. Also you should read Man WIthout Fear first.

He doesn't necessarily have to read Man Without Fear first. It wasn't Miller's first story.

BB

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

He doesn't necessarily have to read Man Without Fear first. It wasn't Miller's first story.

BB

I know he doesn't need to need to, but it's his defining origin so it's a nice place to start when getting in to the character.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right, I already know Daredevil's origin so I decided to start with some new material that I haven't seen. If I enjoy Miller's writing then I'll definitely read Man Without Fear, but I am going in released-order rather than chronological. So it'll be Miller's run, Born Again, and then Man Without Fear, then perhaps I'll jump to Waid's stuff since Bendis' run is pretty controversial in terms of quality, unless you all think Bendis should be first?

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, luckily I got it on such a discount. If I had to pay the full $24.99 only to realize Miller wasn't even involved, then I might have been a bit upset.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: If you end up enjoying Miller's writing, then you should absolutely continue with his run. However, no matter what you do, don't skip the Bendis and Brubaker runs.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93: Well since you feel so strongly, how could I possibly disagree? :P

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right, I already know Daredevil's origin so I decided to start with some new material that I haven't seen. If I enjoy Miller's writing then I'll definitely read Man Without Fear, but I am going in released-order rather than chronological. So it'll be Miller's run, Born Again, and then Man Without Fear, then perhaps I'll jump to Waid's stuff since Bendis' run is pretty controversial in terms of quality, unless you all think Bendis should be first?

Waaat? Dude, it's the opposite way around. Waid's is the controversial one, Bendis's Daredevil run has unanimous praise.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Well in that case I know for sure what's next. I'm not too heavy into the Daredevil fandom (yet) so I must have formed that comment off a few negative opinions I've seen, but apparently that's not the majority.

Kharms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@nickzambuto: You gonna like it. Miller's Daredevil has all the pieces in the right place. Story, art, atmosphere, epic, enemies, brutality, ninjas. Enjoyable work.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm about halfway through, and so far it has been very entertaining, although I'm expecting it to get better once Miller takes over completely. There was an awesome issue where Daredevil fought the HULK, and it really put his determination on full-showcase. Reminds me of the Spider-Man "Unstoppable" story where he fought Juggernaut.

There was also a short arc where Bullseye kidnapped Black Widow and fought Daredevil in an amusement park. Matt being the cool guy that he is always keeps things interesting, but Bullseye was actually extremely disappointing. He was little more than a generic, mustache-twirling villain obsessed with simple revenge on Daredevil, and in the end he turned out to be a coward and gave up after Daredevil scared him. That's not how Bullseye usually is, right?

Kharms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Kharms

@nickzambuto: You need to give him a time. Yeah, Bullseye is definitely a coward but obsession and rage can have a really terrifying outcome. Humiliation can't be washed out easily.

Miller's run with every issue just gets better and better. Development is the key word in this series, for story and for characters.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kharms said:

@nickzambuto: You need to give him a time. Yeah, Bullseye is definitely a coward but obsession and rage can have a really terrifying outcome. Humiliation can't be washed out easily.

Miller's run with every issue just get better and better. Development is the key word in this series, for story and for characters.

That's good to hear. I never actually read a story with Bullseye in it until now, but I always considered myself a fan of the character just based off the information I knew and scans I've seen. Needless to say that story arc was disappointing considering how generic and cowardly he was, but perhaps that was just the one bad portrayal.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By renamed040924

Daredevil 166 might be the most campy story I've ever read. Gladiator is an amazing villain, he gets rejected by the woman he loves and his response is "This-This can not be! Unless... I see! You want me to fight for you! Then I shall kill Daredevil and prove myself, because that's what you want!" and Betsy is just like "WHAT?! HOW DID YOU REACH THAT CONCLUSION??"

They were fighting in a museum, and there's literally a part where Gladiator is stalking around looking for Daredevil as he passes by a wall of statues and mannequins, and one of them is just Daredevil posing as if he's totally camouflaged with a cheesy grin while Gladiator dumbly walks by.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.