Follow

Daredevil

Character » Daredevil appears in 4764 issues.

As a child, Matt Murdock was blinded by radioactive waste while trying to save an elderly stranger about to get hit by a truck carrying the dangerous material. In turn, his other senses were heightened to superhuman sharpness and he gained a form of "radar sense". By day, he is a successful trial lawyer; but by night, he guards Hell's Kitchen as Daredevil: the Man Without Fear.

Is Born Again truly the greatest Daredevil story?

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Daredevil:Born Again by Frank Miller. Is held has the greatest Daredevil tale and one of the best Graphic Novel stories every. So my question for fellow Daredevil fans and fans in general, is that so?And if so why?

Why is Born Again the greatest Daredevil tale of them all?

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Uncanny_Doom

I would say it's very arguably the greatest, and personally it's probably my pick. It essentially captures the essence of Matt Murdock as a character, telling a great tale of rebirth with great themes and smart writing, along with well done symbolism and art so pretty it makes my eyes swoon.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@immolation: That is very true and you have a very valid point sir.

So do you think it is the greatest, also what is your favorite Daredevil tale?

@uncanny_doom: I would say it's very arguably the greatest, and personally it's probably my pick. It essentially captures the essence of Matt Murdock as a character, telling a great tale of rebirth with great themes and smart writing, along with well done symbolism and art so pretty it makes my eyes swoon.

^^^^^^^^^^ You pretty much summed up all my feelings on the novel.

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rogueshadow  Moderator

It's pretty much the definitive Daredevil and I'd say yes, it probably is the greatest.

My personal favourite might be End of Days though, even if it does fall away a bit towards the end.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow: I agree with pretty everything you said good sir. That unique favorite to have. May I ask why?

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rogueshadow  Moderator

@rogueshadow: I agree with pretty everything you said good sir. That unique favorite to have. May I ask why?

It's funny that my favourite DD story is one that he's barely physical in, but I love the way his presence is felt despite that and how it deconstructs everything Matt Murdock is, what he represented and the ultimate fate of street-level heroes in Marvel (and in many ways, real world unsung heroes, policemen, soldiers etc), it has a genuinely compelling narrative etc. I also just think it's really emotional and intelligently written throughout.

As depressing as it is, it's pretty much my head-canon ending for Matt's story too.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow: That was an very interesting and unique summary of End Of Days. I only read a few issues here and there, but I did feel Matt's presence through the issues I've read.

How did it per say deconstructs everything Matt Murdock is, what he represented? Please go in to more detail and depth about this and also, the ultimate fate of street-level heroes in Marvel.

I fully agree about the narrative, it very compelling. I also think the emotional content level was very high. Along with the intelligent writing.

Same here man. It is depressing, tragic and sorrowful. But it is my head-canon ending for Matt's story too.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rogueshadow  Moderator

@theheaven_guardian10:It juxtaposed the nihilistic aspect of what these guys do, their ends and how they wither into nothingness after a few days in the media, with what they actually accomplish and their legacies. When I started the run, I probably would've said Spider-man is the Marvel Street-leveller, but after finishing it I really wouldn't, I also loved how the story just took its time to breath and just do this case study on a fallen tragic hero.

AgentNumber86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a huge darevil fan and I have a daredevil tattoo. I would say born again is the greatest. It changed the face of comics and it's the ultimate tale of the fallen hero rising. You see him at his lowest point for several issues it wasn't just a one and done thing. To see him struggle like that and get back to himself was amazing to see. The bendis run is a second for me after Miller. The splash pages and him in the fetal position was quite profound. Also the religion Irish Catholic was great bc it wasn't preachy at all to me and focused on the positives (redemption) of the religion.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow: It juxtaposed the nihilistic aspect of what these guys do, their ends and how they wither into nothingness after a few days in the media, with what they actually accomplish and their legacies. When I started the run, I probably would've said Spider-man is the Marvel Street-leveller, but after finishing it I really wouldn't, I also loved how the story just took its time to breath and just do this case study on a fallen tragic hero.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Fully agree with this assignment, thank you for taking the time and answering my questions. You should do an essay or something on End Of Days. I would love to read

@agentnumber86: I fully agree with ever line you wrote man.I feel the same way about DD and Born Again. Welcome to this forum bro, please come around more.

AgentNumber86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just_sayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Born Again is my favorite. My second favorite is the arc where Bullseye kills Electra.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dan12456

Not my fav at all. But probably the most important character wise.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I certainly wouldn't say the greatest, but I WOULD say it's one of the best, for reasons that have already been given.

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my opinion its better than dark knight returns. Now is it daredevils best story? IDK the man without fear and guardian devil are really good too...

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jb681131
    Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep! It's in my top 5 comic book stories of all time!

Butt_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the greatest comics ever written.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't say it is the greatest but personally thinks it's one of the best.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.