Follow

Daredevil

Character » Daredevil appears in 4762 issues.

As a child, Matt Murdock was blinded by radioactive waste while trying to save an elderly stranger about to get hit by a truck carrying the dangerous material. In turn, his other senses were heightened to superhuman sharpness and he gained a form of "radar sense". By day, he is a successful trial lawyer; but by night, he guards Hell's Kitchen as Daredevil: the Man Without Fear.

Daredevil...where to start?

tobiasPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By tobiasPUNK

I've recently just read Daredevil: Yellow (Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale) and it's given me a thirst for more, but where do I start?

Can anyone give me an idea of a good issue or story arc to start at.

Apologies if this topic already exists, I couldn't find one.

Thank you.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Gambit1024

I read Daredevil: The Man Without Fear just the other day and it's an excellent place to start. It's probably the best origin story I've ever read.  

I've heard great things about Bendis's run, so you can look out for those trades (I just ordered the first one myself) 

Daredevil: Born Again is highly praised on Amazon, and I'm looking to buy that on my next paycheck.  

Daredevil: Guardian Devil is also an excellent read. Kevin Smith did a great job with this story and the art is fantastic. 

Hope this helps and I'm sorry you had to wait 3 days for an answer :/

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By daredevil21134

agreed
    LuckyLeft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By LuckyLeft

Born Again & Guardian Devil

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By daredevil21134

yeah
    IronKnight2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By IronKnight2404

start with Man Without fear, then read Born Again then you can either read Frank Miller's visionaries or if you want to jump on a continuing series straight away you can collect all of DD vol. 2 in trades and they start at Guardian Devil by Kevin Smith and include Bendis's run. There are a lot of DD stories there but all worth reading. 

Hope that helped.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By longbowhunter

Well since a new #1 just came out for Daredevil I'd suggest that. I started with Brubaker's run and really enjoyed it. Read my way back through Bendis' fantastic achievement. Man W/O Fear and Born Again are solid suggestions. 

Honestly I envy you having never read these stories. Prepare for DD to take over your collection. Your gonna love em!
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By ReVamp

I heard great things about Brubaker's run, though I do not have a thorough experience with Daredevil.

GreenTengu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've got some opinions on a volume 1 reading order. (Which is to say the stuff pre-Guardian Devil, essentially.)

Man Without Fear and some early Silver Age Daredevil I think are good starting points. I read issues 1-7 and got impatient with it, but if you want, issue 21's where the first physical volume stops. (Yellow's good too, but I feel it works better as a sort of companion to Guardian Devil later on.). After that I can't really speak to much until Frank Miller's run, which I'd suggest starting from 159 (He started an issue earlier with 158, but it's the end of a storyline so it'll make little sense.). Frank Miller's main run keeps going til issue 191, and is all worth reading. It's even all collected in trades (Though there is some extra fluff to these collections that I dislike. Basically skip the Spider-Man stuff at the beginning of volume 1.).

Denny O'Neil's run ain't worth checking out in its entirety, but there are some choice stories in here that might be worth your time. 196-200 gives nice resolution to an arc from Frank Miller's run, 205, 216, and 217 introduce Matt's very brief love interest for this part of the book without intersecting with the dumb Micah Synn storyline that dominated this part of the book. After which, I'd probably recommend 220-225. (Unfortunately for reading this portion legitimately, you'd need to seek out some single issues, since the trade of Denny O'Neil's run kind of sucks and leaves out some of the better stories.)

After this, of course, is Frank Miller's famous storyline, Daredevil: Born Again. Spanning from 226-233, this is a must-read. There's no wavering on that point. To many, this is the best Daredevil ever got, and I consider it a pretty great sort of grand finale to the Miller era of the book, changing the status quo for the character for somewhere in the ball park of 65 issues after it.

A lot of people skip this part of the book, but Ann Nocenti's run, while not particularly consistent, is some good shit. There are some good story arcs in her earlier stuff, but I'd recommend starting at 248 and at the very least reading from there to 263. While it does get a little weird from there with this plot about Mephisto and some bizarre new characters introduced, I'd say her entire run is worth checking out. (Though it does lean pretty hard into left-leaning politics, if that's something that would bother you.)

The part I ended volume 1 on was the first 9 issues of DG Chichester's run. He starts out with a kickass two-part interconnected storyline about The Punisher and The Hand before the four issues Last Rites storyline. Last Rites is basically what I consider to be the best dropping off point for volume 1, resolving the remaining plot threads from the Touch of Typhoid arc from Nocenti's run, and giving a really cathartic, climactic resolution to the entire Kingpin plot thread starting from his first appearance in Miller's run.

There might be more worth reading after Last Rites in volume 1, but I didn't bother with it since I knew the book got pretty awful for a good while after this. (The 90s hit Daredevil pretty hard later in Chichester's run, it looks like)

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jb681131

@tobiaspunk said:

I've recently just read Daredevil: Yellow (Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale) and it's given me a thirst for more, but where do I start?

Can anyone give me an idea of a good issue or story arc to start at.

Apologies if this topic already exists, I couldn't find one.

Thank you.

Here of course: Daredevil: What tpb/book to read - I'd like to know what you think

To sum up my previous link

1. For his origins I would go with Man Without Fear by Frank Miller.
    2. Then I would go with Frank Miller's DD run in 3 Volumes. At first he only draws, but once he becomes the writter it's probably the best DD run you could find.
    3. Then I would again follow with a Frank Miller story, Born Again. Or maybe you can read it before reading his original run. It is probably the best DD arc.
    4. To get the full background behind Born Again you can also read Love's Labor Lost by Denis O'Neil.
    5. Then you can continue with the following runs, in order or not.
      1. Ann Nocenti's A Touch of Typhoid and Heart of Darkness.
      2. The Fall of the Kingpin and Fall From Grace by G. Chichester.
      3. Widows's Kiss by Joe Kelly, or Gardian Devil by Kevin Smith.
      4. You can also read the 2 runs of David Mach on Echo. Daredevil/Echo: Part of a Hole and Daredevil/Echo: Vision Quest.
    6. After those runs comes 2 long runs by Bendis and Ed Brubaker. Both available in Omnibus format.
    7. Mark Waid's run is to ignore.
    8. Other good read include: Bulleyes: Greatest Hits, Daredevil: Father by Joe Quesada, Daredevil: Redemption by David Hine and Daredevil: Reborn (not canon)
    9. The current run by Charles Soule is also interresting.

Always try to look for Epic Collections or Omnibuses if available.

I hope this helps,

more interresting suggestions at the link at the top of my post.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.