Follow

Daredevil

Character » Daredevil appears in 4764 issues.

As a child, Matt Murdock was blinded by radioactive waste while trying to save an elderly stranger about to get hit by a truck carrying the dangerous material. In turn, his other senses were heightened to superhuman sharpness and he gained a form of "radar sense". By day, he is a successful trial lawyer; but by night, he guards Hell's Kitchen as Daredevil: the Man Without Fear.

Daredevil season 2 - which characters they got right?

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By poisonfleur

Which character do you feel they did the most justice as a comic book adaptation this season?

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By poisonfleur

Personally I LOVE the actress who is playing Elektra-- (Punisher too!) However I feel the story has a long way to go before Elektra is the World's deadliest assassin and Frank is truly THE PUNISHER, that we all love and fear.

Baby steps I guess. They have good actors for these parts.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I personally loved them all and thought they were all done very well.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have a problem with the actress, but Elektra herself just really annoyed me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a3162faeafe3
    deactivated-5a3162faeafe3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the casting was spot on for Elektra and Frank. Though he still has development left (which is great) I'd argue he's the definitive Punisher.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6 JediXMan  Moderator

Punisher was great. I didn't care for Elektra; she came across more as a thrill seeking rich girl than a hard, disciplined ninja.

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Punisher was great.
    • Elektra didn't seem that great. Didn't dislike her, but she didn't seem that great.
    • Turk was cool.
    • Karen is another one that they are changing a lot, but in the comics her charecter was essentially non existent before Born Again.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@immolation: Elektra was great to me personally. But to each there own I suppose.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a39006e28280
    deactivated-5a39006e28280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the casting was spot on for Elektra and Frank. Though he still has development left (which is great) I'd argue he's the definitive Punisher.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@jedixman said:

Punisher was great. I didn't care for Elektra; she came across more as a thrill seeking rich girl than a hard, disciplined ninja.

Yup.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#12  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@jedixman said:

Yup.

That's how Elektra originally is in the Man WIthout Fear origin story. She doesn't become the disciplined assassin until after. This is a build up, just like Matt and Fisk weren't Daredevil and Kingpin in the first series. Frank and Elektra are on a journey to become the characters we know currently.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@comicace3 said:
    @jedixman said:

Yup.

That's how Elektra originally is in the Man WIthout Fear origin story. She doesn't become the disciplined assassin until after. This is a build up, just like Matt and Fisk weren't Daredevil and Kingpin in the first series. Frank and Elektra are on a journey to become the characters we know currently.

Well, I think Frank in his "costume" at the end was probably meant to be him now being the punisher, similiar to Daredevil at the end of season 1 being in costume. In this season Frank spent his time actually avenging his family going after the specific people involved and the gangs involved now that that his vengeance is complete he will just wage his war, because as he said "Maybe I need the war!" We will probably either see him in his own series showing all about what that means or see it continue in one of the other series.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e73afcc9b00
    deactivated-57e73afcc9b00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Punisher was good but I didn't like all the changes made to Elektra.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Alot. Just from off the top of my head. She wasn't raised by her father, no mention of her mother being gunned down, she was originally trained by stick instead of the hand, her reasoning for becoming a assassin is completely diffrent, her "father's" death was mentioned but it seemed to have no effect on her, she kidnapped the fixer, the reason for Matt and Elektra breaking up was completely different, she seemed bloodthirsty, meeting Matt was originally a mission for her, she was killed by Nobu instead of Bullseye, no mention of her brother, she was not shown to of experienced a extreme trauma as a child that made her see and hear things, she was supposed to re-enter Matt's life as a well trained assassin and not the girl from Man Without Fear, and she was the black sky.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hellsangel:

She was raised by her father in the show, she even talks about him quite a bit.

Stick was a member of The Hand.

No, the reason for Matt and her breaking up is the same.

Matt being a mission for her is not a contradiction, it's mentioned in the comics.

Who cares who killed her? Bullseye hasn't been introduced yet and shoehorning him in to this season would have been a terrible idea.

It's MASSIVELY clear that she has experienced trauma as a child. Hell the actress even talks about it in interviews.

Oh she was supposed to was she? No, she wasn't supposed to do anything of the sort. This was her character build up just like every other character in the show.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By comicace3

@jonny_anonymous said:
    @comicace3 said:
    @jedixman said:

Yup.

You and I remember elektra very differently. I don't remember her being the thrill seeking rich girl as Jedi mentioned nor do I remember her as manipulative, mildly insane and bloodlusted. The hard disciplined ninja I can agree with but the blatantly obvious crazy girl persona they gave her in the show was nothing like she was in the comics.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous:

She was raised by her father in the show, she even talks about him quite a bit.

It was said that the man stick left her with was not her father.

Stick was a member of The Hand.

Still not the same. In the comics she originally went to stick for training but was rejected. That might of been retconed.

No, the reason for Matt and her breaking up is the same.

No it is not. She didn't leave him because he refused to kill in the comics.

Matt being a mission for her is not a contradiction, it's mentioned in the comics.

Don't remember it. Probably another MWF retcon from after miller went bad.

Who cares who killed her? Bullseye hasn't been introduced yet and shoehorning him in to this season would have been a terrible idea.

And he probably should of been introduced before Elektra.

Oh she was supposed to was she?

Yes in the comics she did. You asked what was changed. If you didn't want to hear it then you shouldn't of asked.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:
    @comicace3 said:
    @jedixman said:

Yup.

You and I remember elektra very differently. I don't remember her being the thrill seeking rich girl as Jedi mentioned nor do I remember her as manipulative, mildly insane and bloodlusted. The hard disciplined ninja I can agree with but the blatantly obvious crazy girl persona they gave her in the show was nothing like she was in the comics.

So you've never read Man WIthout Fear then.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By comicace3

@jonny_anonymous said:
    @comicace3 said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:
    @comicace3 said:
    @jedixman said:

Yup.

Oh? So you really have to go there? Wanna bet on that?

So far you have completely got wrong..

Why Elektra and Matt broke up.

Let me clarify to those who don't know.

In the show Matt and Elektra separated after Matt was manipulated into beating the shit out of the man who killed Matt's father. Matt refused to kill him, and Elektra left.

In the Comics Elektra and matt separated after Matt tried to save elektra from a couple of kidnappers, only to have Elektra's father killed in the process after the police mistook the kidnappers as hostages when they were thrown out the window.

In the show Matt first hates Elektra for what she did ( but loves her in a way) and wants nothing to do with her. In the comics it is exactly the opposite.

r2datu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, Netflix Elektra was a lot more interesting than the Elektra Miller wrote.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@comicace3 said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:
    @comicace3 said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:
    @comicace3 said:
    @jedixman said:

Yup.

In the show Matt and Elektra separated after Matt was manipulated into beating the shit out of the man who killed Matt's father. Matt refused to kill him, and Elektra left.

In the Comics Elektra and matt separated after Matt tried to save elektra from a couple of kidnappers, only to have Elektra's father killed in the process after the police mistook the kidnappers as hostages when they were thrown out the window.

In the show Matt first hates Elektra for what she did ( but loves her in a way) and wants nothing to do with her. In the comics it is exactly the opposite.

DUDE the entire POINT of Man Without Fear was showing that Elektra is a thrill seeking rich girl. AT the ONLY REASON Matt and her are not together is beacuse she is a killer assassin and Matt can't take that.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally loved how they handled all the characters though I would love to know exactly what a "black sky" is. The only thing I'm iffy on is Karen. I know in the comics she became a junkie and sold Matt out for a fix. Now I'm not necessarily complaining if there's some changes made but I was kinda looking forward to seeing her downward spiral or dark past being explored rather than her rising above it all.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicace3 said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:
    @comicace3 said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:
    @comicace3 said:
    @jedixman said:

Yup.

DUDE the entire POINT of Man Without Fear was showing that Elektra is a thrill seeking rich girl. AT the ONLY REASON Matt and her are not together is beacuse she is a killer assassin and Matt can't take that.

THAT was not my take from it AT ALL. Minor ticks like her being mildly insane was not apart of the comic elektra as well. Please show me where you saw THAT. NOW are we go to STOP using CAPS LOCK?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@jonny_anonymous said:
    @comicace3 said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:
    @comicace3 said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:
    @comicace3 said:
    @jedixman said:

Yup.

THAT was not my take from it AT ALL. Minor ticks like her being mildly insane was not apart of the comic elektra as well. Please show me where you saw THAT. NOW are we go to STOP using CAPS LOCK?

Oh you know, like the time she outright states it and then jumps off a cliff just for the lol's

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicace3 said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:
    @comicace3 said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:
    @comicace3 said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:
    @comicace3 said:
    @jedixman said:

Yup.

Oh you know, like the time she outright states it and then jumps off a cliff just for the lol's

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Oh, THAT man without fear. The one written in 1993. Pft well if anyone mentioned that that I guess you'd be right. Hm. I was talking about DD #168, and DD #174 and a couple of other issues written by Frank Miller. Not this one in particular. We are talking about the same Elektra, just in different time periods. So we are both right in a way.

vanceastro2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Contrary to what many people think,the series as a whole has not gotten Daredevil right:

*The series completely ignores Daredevil's radar sense, in spite of it being his most distinguishable feature and replaces it with an stupid "world on fire "thing which does not even comparr to the feats the radar has in the comic. The radar sense can "see" in an omnidirectional way for very long distances(up to 60 metres as it has been shown in the comics),can see through things unfaffected by climate conditions or darkness. The "world on fire" is just a far cry from the radar sense.

*The series completely ignores Matt and Karen's romance. I mean,really? In the series it feels like as if he does not even feel attraction to her, yet in the comics they fall in love at first sight. Their romance really meant a lot to both of them, but no reference to that in the series.

*The series changed completely the way how DD got his red costume. In Daredevil #7, it is explicitly stated that DD himself designed his costume, while the series tells us that Melvinn Potter did it.

*The series has made it look like like DD is always a devout catholic: The key word here is "always". The religiosity of the comic Matt varies depending on who is writing him. Writers such as Mark Waid, Stan Lee,Chichester and Joe Kelly rarely if ever have written him going to churc, while Miller, Smith,Noccenti and Diggie have shown more religious elements in his stories. Clearly, DD is not always a religious person though the series states otherwise.

*Completely changes how The Kinpin is defeated: I don't wanna make any big spoiler, but anyone that reads the "Fall of the Kingpin" story arc can easily see that it is nothing like the series The Kingpin does not really "fall", in the sense that he is never permenatly defeated, though this is the first time the we see him losing his empire as a consequence of DD. His falls involves Hydra, some SHIELD interest and Kingpin's growing ambitius of becoming more than just a crime lord. The series "Fall of the Kingpin" does not do it justice.

Dont get me wrong the series is still pretty good in itself. Both seasons are pretty good, they are just not a good reference to the comics. Kind of like The Wolverine movie: very good in itself, but definetely not a good reference to the comics.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By daredevil21134

• Punisher was great.
    • Elektra didn't seem that great. Didn't dislike her, but she didn't seem that great.
    • Turk was cool.
    • Karen is another one that they are changing a lot, but in the comics her charecter was essentially non existent before Born Again.

Elektra wasn't great at all. That's just my opinion though.

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked some of the stuff with her towards the end. She doesn't seem like our Elektra, though.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@daredevil21134 said:

I liked some of the stuff with her towards the end. She doesn't seem like our Elektra, though.

It's funny cause I told a friend the same thing. The last few episodes I didn't mind her so much but overall her character just felt off.She came cross more as Typhoid Mary than Elektra. Oh, I forgot to tag you in my Luke Cage thread to get your opinion on the trailers so if you wanna head over there and post I'd appreciate that.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well Im not super well versed in DD comics but man did they do Punisher justice.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.