Follow

Daredevil

Character » Daredevil appears in 4762 issues.

As a child, Matt Murdock was blinded by radioactive waste while trying to save an elderly stranger about to get hit by a truck carrying the dangerous material. In turn, his other senses were heightened to superhuman sharpness and he gained a form of "radar sense". By day, he is a successful trial lawyer; but by night, he guards Hell's Kitchen as Daredevil: the Man Without Fear.

Daredevil Rights At Marvel Studios

• 120 results
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Daredevil hasn't exactly had the most ideal history on the big screen. His 2003 solo film was met with very mixed opinions (mostly ranging from "Get that out of my memory" to "I kinda like it"), and more recently, Fox's time with the character was coming to an end. The clock was ticking before the rights would revert and Director Joe Carnahan clearly wanted a shot at the Man without Fear. However, luck wasn't on the director's side as it was widely speculated the studio let the rights go back into Marvel's hands -- and it looks like that's exactly what happened. Speaking with Newsarama at an Iron Man 3 press junket, Kevin Feige, Marvel Studios' President of Production, confirmed the hornhead is now back with Marvel Studios.

Nice popped collar, bro.
    Nice popped collar, bro.

Now, I can't help but wonder if Marvel's already constructing plans for Murdock or if they'll save him for a much later date. While quite a few say he'll feel out place in Marvel Studios' universe, I beg to differ. If they can have Black Widow, Hawkeye and Nick Fury serve a purpose in their cosmic environment and manage to pose a physical threat (Daredevil would beat the listed characters IMHO), I'm sure the hero from Hell's Kitchen would be a more than welcome addition to keep their street level world varied and alive. Viners, do you want to see Daredevil connected to the Avengers or would you rather have him do his own thing?

Source: Newsarama

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

sweetness

Hot_Sawce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hot_Sawce

Daredevil needs to stand alone.

Avatar image for batmanonthemoon
    BatmanOnTheMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BatmanOnTheMoon

Maybe they could have a Daredevil-centric Shield episode. That could be ballin', if they aren't planning another movie.

grenade728

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Awesome! He should definitely do his own thing!

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By Trevel8182

The directors cut of Daredevil is actually pretty good not spectacular but pretty good.

Daredevil would make a better TV Show.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Urgh

SimonM7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SimonM7

Yeah, stand alone for sure. I have to say, if SHIELD wasn't the show they're making, I think Daredevil would've been a perfect fit for serialised storytelling. Split between super heroics/lawyer stuff and relationships would've made total sense.

Avatar image for deactivated-6212d9bb8a06e
    deactivated-6212d9bb8a06e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah...a great opportunity for a fresh start for The Man Without Fear.

I say let Daredevil do his own thing, for now-- give him a new solo film that'll be a (preferably very) good new, fresh start. Small steps, Marvel.

Walzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'd love to see a show based off of the comics. Have some of that Avengers money funding it, premiere it on a primetime cable network (or, my preference, AMC) and then have a good balance between the lawyer side and the hero side of things.

Call it, "The Man without Fear" or something like that.

Chewish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Chewish

This is great news :D Let's hope we get a Daredevil film after the Doctor Strange movie and the inevitable Black Panther movie.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tupiaz

His own thing definitely. Maybe a team up with Black Widow but not a Avengers tie in movie. However this was kind of clear a couple of months ago.

the_fallen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about a Marvel Knights universe? Street level heroes in their own movie? Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, Luke Cage, Iron Fist? Eh?? I donno..I'm rambling.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

What about a Marvel Knights universe? Street level heroes in their own movie? Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, Luke Cage, Iron Fist? Eh?? I donno..I'm rambling.

If you have Daredevil, Luke Cage and Iron Fist on the team, they could just call it New Avengers and make loads more money.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i loved daredevil and i still do. yeah i said it. and yes he would do better solo.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By sora_thekey

Just please don't make him join the Avengers in the Cinematic Universe!

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By the_tree

I hope to see Marvel develop their street level corner of the MCU soon. They've got a perfect group of characters for it with Daredevil, Punisher, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By longbowhunter

I'm really glad to hear Marvel has DD back. I'm sure it'll be sometime before we see Matt Murdock appearing on the big screen though. Anyone hear that Sony holds the right to the Kingpin and loaned them to Fox for Daredevil?

Sakurafire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I keep saying that having a loose big screen adaptation of Waid's series would be fantastic. It's funny, romantic, dark, dramatic... It's got everything. They just need to get Fantastic Four out of Fox's hands!

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^ This!

dtschemmel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I'd like a Daredevil show. Like Smallville or Arrow, am I weird...

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they do make a TV show, I don't want to it to be another Batman rip-off like they did with Arrow. Don't get me wrong with that, I like Arrow, but was making him pull the ninja trick on someone really necessary?

DougCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel would be smart to make a few movies with no Avengers tie-in and i think that Daredevil is the PERFECT place to start. they should do Born Again, not only because its the best Daredevil story, its story and title could also serve to symbolically revive the character in the eyes of filmgoers who are only familiar with the Ben Affleck movie.

Deledom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Michael C Hall would be a great cast!

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

YES! My favorite Marvel character. I hope Marvel Studios starts a series of street level films with Daredevil. I would also be down for a Secret Avengers style team movie if they feel like making him part of the Avengers properties. Move Hawkeye and Black Widow over to Secret Avengers with Daredevil and some other characters. That way we can have a larger focus on characters that aren't Iron Man, Thor, and Cap while at the same time opening up roster spots on the main Avengers team.

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
    Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to see a darker tone in a stand alone DD flick.

Equal parts action, character development (make him meaningful!) and drama.

A splash of mysterious martial training wouldn't hurt. Perhaps be introduced to "Stick" (but in a gritty, mystical and dangerous / 'violent' kinda way).

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@sora_thekey said:

My thoughts exactly.

Also Mark Wahlberg as Daredevil. Yeah I said it. I think he can pull it off. I think he's got the right look and acting ability to pull of Matt Murdock.

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By thatlad

Great news, they should save daredevil for phase 4, can be their gritty Nolan-esque style hero. Well as gritty as a guy in red leather can be

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By daredevil21134

@smart_dork_dude said:

@sora_thekey said:

My thoughts exactly.

Also Mark Wahlberg as Daredevil. Yeah I said it. I think he can pull it off. I think he's got the right look and acting ability to pull of Matt Murdock.

I like that idea

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By daredevil21134

@syncig said:

YES! My favorite Marvel character. I hope Marvel Studios starts a series of street level films with Daredevil. I would also be down for a Secret Avengers style team movie if they feel like making him part of the Avengers properties. Move Hawkeye and Black Widow over to Secret Avengers with Daredevil and some other characters. That way we can have a larger focus on characters that aren't Iron Man, Thor, and Cap while at the same time opening up roster spots on the main Avengers team.

Cool idea

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

That makes things interesting

Cypher4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Stand alone. I wouldn't mind a mention of him or even a brief cameo like Hawkeye in Thor or Doc Sampson in The Incredible Hulk. But I don't think he should play a big part in the Avengers.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By daredevil21134

I'd like this as long as it's nothing like the current series.

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What they should do IMO is this;

In Phase Three:

-Introduce a Heroes for Hire movie starring Luke Cage and Iron Fist

-Reboot Daredevil

In Phase Four:

-Begin Marvel Knights, a team up movie that involves only street level characters.

-Culminate Phase Four with Avengers 4 featuring Civil War as the story.

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Not every damn hero needs to be connected to Marvel's Avengers franchise. Daredevil will do just fine on the Silver Screen alone.

ghost_runner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ok so now we just need to wait for the fantastic four....... and the x-men........ and spider-man........

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

@daredevil21134: Thanks. I have been pitching that idea to my friends ever since the rumors of Marvel getting DD back started. Ideally I would prefer a noir style Daredevil movie but since Avengers is a massive money-maker I think Marvel would want to include him somehow.

Avatar image for thesmallvillefan12
    TheSmallvillefan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like a Daredevil show. Like Smallville or Arrow, am I weird...

I think it would make a great show.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not every damn hero needs to be connected to Marvel's Avengers franchise. Daredevil will do just fine on the Silver Screen alone.

agreed

@syncig said:

@daredevil21134: Thanks. I have been pitching that idea to my friends ever since the rumors of Marvel getting DD back started. Ideally I would prefer a noir style Daredevil movie but since Avengers is a massive money-maker I think Marvel would want to include him somehow.

I think you're right on that

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

I really liked the movie, the director's cut was so much better than the theatrical version.

Going along with what other's have said, a Marvel Knights/ Heroes for Hire/ Street level heroes movie/ film series would be excellent; but a TV series is the way to go.

The problem with a movie would be over-saturation, we already get two movies a year with Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor single character franchises and an Avengers franchise there is not much room for anyone else unless they don't franchise Guardians of the Galaxy or Ant-Man to give other heroes a chance.

A TV series on a cable show would be ideal, unfortunately the best channel would be FX since ABC/Disney doesn't have a channel for more adult themed shows but that is not an option anymore. It would probably wind up on ABC which sucks because it would have to be more all ages instead of a more realistic or "gritty" show. (i.e. Justified or something like that)

alex1321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he should stand on his own and then gradually be added to the Avengers universe.

ChillinNKillin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ChillinNKillin
    @walzo said:

I'd love to see a show based off of the comics. Have some of that Avengers money funding it, premiere it on a primetime cable network (or, my preference, AMC) and then have a good balance between the lawyer side and the hero side of things.

Call it, "The Man without Fear" or something like that.

I think it would be better to put it on Starz or HBO so the show could depict more gruesome scenes.

@sora_thekey said:

My thoughts exactly.

I think that Matt Damon or Christian Bale definitely do it too (better than Mark IMO); especially Matt Damon.

krexxxx4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trevel8182: Agree about the director's cut, but disagree about the TV show idea. Daredevil is my favorite character (so maybe I'm slightly biased), but he has so much potential to have a great film series. Hell I'd even go as far as to say that Daredevil could be Marvel's equivalent to the Dark Knight Trilogy if they played their cards right. I know those are big expectations, but that's just my opinion (don't wanna see a giant internet war break out because I brought up the Nolan Bat trilogy (I know how big people are when it comes to defending the Nolan films)).

Mandrewgora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best news I've heard all day!

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#44  Edited By The Mast

There are people in this thread who hate Waid's run, but want Wahlberg as Matt? *Insert Sara catchphrase*

@k4tzm4n Anyway, there's an easy and epic way to do this. You do not even NEED a Daredevil movie to introduce Daredevil. You don't even NEED Daredevil. Here's how you do it:

Stark or Hawkeye, someone in the team, gets in trouble. Maybe even an employee at Stark Industries. Stark/Fury decide they need a lawyer. Fury says he knows "a guy". We cut to a law firm. A secretary says, "I'm sorry, he's not in the office at the moment. I'll get him to contact you as soon as he's free."

They walk out, the door closes. "Nelson & Murdock: Attorneys at Law."

...aaand the crowd goes wild. You've established he exists for those who know. You've given a retro-active reference point for people to go back to if you DO bring him in. That's the bare minimum. You could even just have Foggy. Have Stark prod him with, "Where's your collegue?" "He's uh...busy."

If you wanted Matt himself, just have him do a lawyer bit. Maybe have Stark crack a joke, "You'd be a better hero that some of these useless S.H.I.E.L.D. agents! Hah!" "That'll be the day, Mr. Stark." Maybe even, "Hey, know anyone who could join our team that'd be better use than these guys?!" "I might know a guy..."

It's not rocket science.

Avatar image for zack_manwithoutfear
    Zack_manwithoutfear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely stand alone. but maybe this time with a good costume =p

mcbean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By mcbean

Please not Avengers there is too many of them and if Daredevil has a good script he can hold his own movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-579e79a09210d
    deactivated-579e79a09210d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, i like daredevil, but they need to give other heros a chance. Like Gambit, deadpool, scarlet witch, ant-man, nova, captain marvel, black panther, green arrow, and the flash

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why do people have to dig on Ben. The guy is a good actor, and a better director. I don't have problem with him. It's not his fault that Daredevil sucked as a movie.

Samuel_Simmons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Samuel_Simmons

He needs to stand alone. He could have a cameo, or be mentioned in avengers I guess. A punisher-daredevil or spider-man-daredevil movie could work. That is, if I enjoyed the movie version/versions of Spider-man.

@dtschemmel Yeah, a show would prolly be the best idea.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.