dmstarz's Daredevil #12 - Sightless, In a Savage Land! review

Avatar image for dmstarz

Daredevil 12

Matt Murdock may be good at knocking villains over like skittles but, almost straight away, we find him totally hopeless at guessing a lady's true feelings.  On the second page of the story he pines once again after Karen Page - "Yet the emotion I mistook for love was merely pity... pity for a man without sight."  Pass the tissues, folks.  Matt is on his Foreign Legion kick here - he has to get as far away from his love as possible... to forget!

After a run of good issues, sorry to report that this tale is more like some of the extraordinary yarns that Lee cooked up in his association with Joe Orlando, though it is populated with some interesting characters.  This issue we're introduced to the Plunderer, another peculiarly named foe, particularly so when his alias, Captain Plunder (aka Lord Parnival Plunder - yes, you read that right - Parnival), would surely have been just as good for the pirate.  But I guess the names are a sign of the times.  Ka-Zar turns up too, as you can see from the cover, pounding his chest and speaking of himself in the third person, perhaps a little like a certain Lord Greystoke.

There's also a fairly exciting sequence early on with Matt rushing over the New York skyline to reach the ocean liner that will take him far away from America, comparing himself to "Promotheus unbound", which seems rather unwieldy.  Perhaps the whole Prometheus legend was big in the 60s.

But the most significant element of this issue is that, not only is Jack Kirby on board, doing layouts, but it introduces a man who was to become a legend in comics history - John Romita!  So it's by no means all bad.

Interesting aside - Ka-Zar lives again, the cover tells us.  I didn't realise that he had such a heritage back into the early days of Marvel.  At this rate, he's right up there with some of the earliest Marvel superheroic creations.  (I've just checked ComicVine - his first appearance was, alongside the original Human Torch and Submariner, in Marvel Comics 1 in 1939!)

2 stars out of 5

Other reviews for Daredevil #12 - Sightless, In a Savage Land!

To Hell with the Devil 0

Ka-zar stars in 'Daredevil', with a special guest appearance by DaredevilAs you can see by the cover, Daredevil visits the Savage Land in this issue. And, once again, removing Daredevil from Hell's Kitchen proves to be a mistake.The new artist beginning with this issue is John Romita, previously primarily known for his work on romance comics, which is probably why when the comic opens with an emotional scene of Matt Murdock leaving behind a pensive Karen Page in the arms of Foggy Nelson, Stan Le...

Ka-Zar not Tarzan 0

After a decent tale in the last two issues, we return to a childish one where all the characters are their own best P.R. agents. Tons of silver age silliness, including the old chest nut that has 2 heroes fighting each other before they decide to talk with each other.  In this case Ka-Zar and Daredevils first meeting is a panel showing DD hitting Ka-Zar at the same time he is telling him he does not want to hurt him.   It isn't all bad, we get some Jack Kirby layouts, i always have said that was...