Danny West was first introduced in the New 52 volume of the Flash during the title's Zero Issue, set five years prior to the first issue. When Daniel was born, his mother died, making his father William feeling hatred for the boy and becoming an alcoholic. Abusing his children, Daniel eventually came to a breaking point and he pushed his father down stairs, crippling him. Afraid of what Iris will think about him, he ran away, becoming a small time crook. Danny was seen driving a getaway car before being stopped by Flash and getting arrested. Danny would then have another encounter with Flash but with him this time being out of costume, in which Barry would help the police stop Danny from escaping the prison.
Danny would once again make an appearance five years later during the Gorilla City invasion of Central City. Danny, having gotten out of prison early on parole, tries to reach Iris West before getting attacked by a Gorilla soldier. Danny is then seen going to Iris' apartment to find her, yet finds that it has been vacant for days after looking at the mail. Daniel vows to find her. However, he was captured by Gorilla's and was rescued by the The Rogues who wanted to rob him. Daniel was able to escape by stealing Doctor Elias's monorail car which was powered by the Speed Force, giving him the ability to turn back the time.
Becoming Reverse Flash
Daniel took the name Reverse Flash, hunting down and killing everyone who has the connection with the Speed Force in order to absorb it into himself and gain enough power to travel through time and kill his father. When Barry find out the Reverse Flash can track down the speedsters and the reason why he still did not track down Barry is because his costume stops him from tracking him down, he gave one the Iris who at the time was also connected to the Speed Force.
When The Flash came to Doctor Elias' lab, he confronted the Reverse Flash and the two speedsters started a fight. Reverse Flash took one of Doctor Elias's weapons and when he tried to kill the the Flash with it, his sister Iris came to the scene when she took the blast in Flash's place. When Daniel find out that he actually killed his sister, he used his power to absorb Flash's speed and he started to go back in time to when he was eight years old and he killed his father. However, younger versions of himself and Iris saw Daniel, calling him a monster while looking at him with fear in their eyes. When he realized his mistake, Daniel gave up his powers and the Flash absorbed all of it, going back in time and fixing the time stream. Back in the present, Iris actually survived. She ran to her brother thinking that he was possessed by something but Daniel told her that everything he wasn't possessed and when he gets another chance he will try to do it again.
Daniel was sent back to the Iron Heights, telling Iris how he only wanted to stop his father from driving him and his sister apart. He only wanted to give them good lives they deserved. He just does not regret trying to fix everything despite the fact that he killed people. Iris just told him how everything that happened to them should make them stronger. It's Iris's past that made her what she is and it is something that nobody should take away from her. Iris claims how her brother died years ago and turns her back on Daniel for good.
Five years from the current DC timeline Barry Allen runs off to save innocents in Peshawar, Pakistan. While back in Central City Danny West is on the loose once again to cause mayhem which let up to a tragedy that resulted in Iris West's permanent disability and Wally West's death.
Twenty years in the future, Barry Allen traveled back in time to stop various tragedies he was not able stop in the past, one of which was Daniel escaping Iron Heights which led up to Wally's death. In the encounter future Flash makes Danny West realize the impact of his actions and his connection to the coming tragedy then later resolves to fix the situation by saving Iris and Wally from the eventual tragedy and killing Daniel by breaking his neck.
Some time after his incarceration Daniel was transferred from Iron Heights prison to Belle Reve Penitentiary, where Waller integrated him into the Task Force X program.
Powers and Abilities
- Speed Force Connection: Daniel gained the connection to the Speed Force by coming into contact with it's energy from Doctor Elias's battery, giving him the ability move time backwards and absorb the Speed Force from others. When the monorail was destroyed, the metallic remains were fused to Daniel's body giving him the armor.
- Temporal Speed: Like all Speedsters, Daniel has the ability to move, run and react at super human speeds. With a hitch, for unlike a true speedster, Daniel doesn't necessarily move at high velocities but just dialates time to appear like he's moving faster than everyone else. He was fast enough to easily keep up with The Flash (Barry Allen) and even overpower him (although it's clear Barry wasn't using his full power). After he regained his speed, it appears he is not as nearly as fast as he was before.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Daniel's reflexes are enhanced to incredible levels.
- Speed Force Absorption: Daniel has a unique ability to absorb the Speed Force from others who are connected to it, even Barry Allen. Daniel consistently becomes more powerful the more Speed Force he absorbs. When he absorbed all of the speed force from everyone connected to it, Daniel gained the ability to reverse time.
- Speed Force Detection: Daniel also displayed the ability to tract down every person connected to the speed force in order to kill them and absorb their speed force energy. Although he wasn't able to detect Barry because of his costume so Barry gave the one to Iris as well so Daniel wasn't able to track down Iris either.
- Phasing: When the man called Kyle Korot was killed by the Future Version of the Flash by getting his heart pureed after Barry vibrated through it, during his autopsy Parry claimed she has seen people getting killed the same way during the time Reverse Flash was active. This means that Daniel has the ability to phase through solid matter by vibrating so fast to turn his molecules intangible as he killed people the same way Barry killed Korot.
- Metal Armor: When the monorail that gave Daniel connection to the Speed Force was destroyed and the metallic remains were fused to Daniel's body, Daniel gained an metallic carapace which increased his strength and durability while giving him the ability to project deadly sharp metal projectiles from his body which are charged with a magnetic field. The armor also gave Daniel sharp claws and razor sharp spurs with which to shred and impale enemies with.
- Enhanced Strength and Durability: Daniel's connection to the speed force and metal parts of monorail fusing with his body gave him enhanced strength and durability. He was able to easily crush a cup to pieces with one hand and he didn't hurt his hand after cracking a stone wall with a punch.
- Electromagnetokinesis: Like all Speedsters, Daniel is capable of unleashing large amounts of electricity from his body. So much such as that he can generate his own electromagnetic field, projecting speed force imbued EM electricity through his body and into his metal projectiles to conduct them, manipulating their flight path and recalling them like boomerangs.
- Temporal Manipulation: Daniel's core ability is to manipulate time; e.i. stopping it and reversing its flow. By absorbing Speed Force energy either from every person he's killed who're connected to it, or by embibing it from a raw source, he gains the ability to move time backwards which allows him to change things in the past in order to reverse the timeline and change the future the way he wants. While Daniel regained his powers, it seems that he no longer has the same level of control over this ability as he once did. Either because this particular power has weakened or he needs to absorb more Speed Force like he did before.