duo_forbidden's Daken: Dark Wolverine #8 - Collision, Pt. 2 review

Avatar image for duo_forbidden

Will Daken and Laura team up, or will he end up betraying her?

Synopsis: What is Daken's goal?

What's Good?

I'm not going to lie, I hate crossovers between a book I read and another book I don't read, and Daken: Dark Wolverine is that book. I'm not really a huge fan of Daken even though he's the Wolverine Logan should be. After the first part in X-23, I didn't know what to expect with this book plot wise. Luckily, the second part of this crossover shines. Daniel Way shows readers what kind of person Daken is and what effect he has in the city of Madipoor. He controls the city. Being manipulative is his way along with being ruthless. Way is also joined by Marjorie Liu, and while this is Daken's book, I think Liu adds some old and new characterization with both Laura and Gambit.

Personally, I prefer Marco Checchetto's artwork over Ryan Stegman from X-23 #8. The opening pages looked wonderful like a real brutal battle took place between Laura and Daken. Considering the kind of person Daken is, the dark atmosphere around him and in Madipoor is perfect. Besides Daken, Gambit also stands out thanks to his powers. Things get even more graphic as the issue continues.

What's Bad?

I don't really have any complaints. The plot moved along quite nicely.

Overall: Daken: Dark Wolverine #8 was very impressive. I'm hoping Marjorie Liu can follow up in X-23 #9.