Follow

Cyclops

Character » Cyclops appears in 11232 issues.

The first X-Man, Scott Summers possesses the mutant ability to fire powerful concussive blasts through his eyes that act as a portal to another dimension full of the force that makes up his optic blast. He is visually distinctive for the ruby quartz visor he wears to control his devastating power. A born leader, Cyclops succeeded his mentor Professor X to command the X-Men.

Was Magneto right?

• 58 results
    acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By acer51

Many fans of Cyclops believe he was and is right in the methods and actions he took to achieve survival of the mutant race. But since he's becoming so similar to Magneto in his ways, he becomes more like him every issue, so could it possibly be that given the full story, some of us actually agree with Magneto. Coexistence is unachievable, extreme measures must be taken to insure the survival of mutant kind, there must be a war, a revolution for Mutant-kind to take its rightful place as the homo-superior, if they are ever to defeat human oppression they must fight back. This is what Cyclops stands for, this is also what Magneto did and still does stand for, although Cyclops is less extreme then Magneto was for all intents and purposes he now fight for Magnetos side of the argument.

Now that we as readers see where Cyclops is coming from, how many of us agree with Magneto, that Xaivers dream was wrong?

How many of us have decided Magneto was right?

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Decoy Elite

I disagree with the "coexistence is impossible" but I do think mutants should be ready to help each other out if the mobs start heading their way. 
    At the end of the day a compromise between Magneto's and Xaiver's ideologies would work the best and Cyclops is in the position most likely to achieve that.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By havoc1201

Magneto and Cyclops are right

snyderman567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By snyderman567

I agree and disagree. While co-existence is possible and admirable, mutants will never live in a world were everyone respects them and their lives are nothing but sunshine and unicorns. Just like in the real world, we will never live in a world where people of every race, gender, and religon will fully get along. What is possible is reducing prejudice to a rareity and increase morality and understanding. It may not be the ideal utopia, but it will be damn close to a perfect co-existence.

chocobojam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By chocobojam

I'm still not really sure what exactly is Cyclops really try to accomplish right now. As far as i know right now, he is just recruiting new mutants and/or saving them from their oppressor. I wouldn't say that he is really like magneto yet.

For now maybe Cyclops just want to be a protector for this newly emerge mutants. but i dont think that he has anything against humans at all.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By havoc1201

If you look at our evolutionary History whenever a new species emerges it takes over the less evolved species and replaces, we use to believe that they breed with each other but now it has been proven that one kills off the other so really if we look at it like that it truly is impossible for homo sapian and homo superior to co-excites with each other, so i feel that Magneto and Cyclops is right that Superior must take its place as the Alpha on earth.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@Decoy Elite said:

I disagree with the "coexistence is impossible" but I do think mutants should be ready to help each other out if the mobs start heading their way. At the end of the day a compromise between Magneto's and Xaiver's ideologies would work the best and Cyclops is in the position most likely to achieve that.

Hey, look. Decoy said something smart for once.

No Caption Provided
    Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Decoy Elite
    @god_spawn: I only say smart things when my AV is stupid. Fact.
    Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Onemoreposter

No, Magneto wasn't right. Magneto is just some (to quote a favorite author of mine), "old terrorist twat."

soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By soduh2

@Decoy Elite said:

I disagree with the "coexistence is impossible" but I do think mutants should be ready to help each other out if the mobs start heading their way. At the end of the day a compromise between Magneto's and Xaiver's ideologies would work the best and Cyclops is in the position most likely to achieve that.
    Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Blood1991

Magneto is wrong and Cyclops is wrong. With every action they divide humans and mutants further making Coexistence a more difficult path. Through peace and reason African Americans and women in the United States obtained their rights through strength of character, and patience. Overtime the United States has made great strides in eliminating prejudice in these groups. People are afraid of what is different and what they struggle to understand, but even with homosexuality today time and exposure open peoples eyes to see that we are all people.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#14  Edited By akbogert

@snyderman567 said:

I agree and disagree. While co-existence is possible and admirable, mutants will never live in a world were everyone respects them and their lives are nothing but sunshine and unicorns. Just like in the real world, we will never live in a world where people of every race, gender, and religon will fully get along. What is possible is reducing prejudice to a rareity and increase morality and understanding. It may not be the ideal utopia, but it will be damn close to a perfect co-existence.

This comes pretty close to how I'd answer it. I've always read Magneto's position as an analog to racial differences in real life, so I certainly hope that coexistence isn't impossible.

That said, I think it's a bit short-sighted to believe that certain cultures and religions can persist in unity with one another. Some worldviews are so diametrically opposed to one another that the only means of achieving true peace would be the complete eradication of one of the two groups. Peace through conquest rather than through compromise. Now whether such a peace is actually better than a state of constant warfare, that's a very different question, but I think it's important to understand that Magneto and those who agree with him would bring about an end to war; the question is, at what cost.

trutrutru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By trutrutru

@acer51: magneto is wrong...but cyclops's views are far enough from magnetos that he wouldnt move to create a situation in which only mutants existed. not even phoenix cyclops was pushing for anything like that

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By satyrgod

Three can be no peace between human and mutant.  That wouldn't sell comic books.

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By slimlim

Xavier's dream was co-existence. Magneto's was dominance.

Cyclops still seeks co-existence. But he's willing to take more aggressive steps to ensure the survival of the species first. With mutants reappearing, he's willing to take more aggressive steps to protect the race.

I disagree with the notion that he's becoming Magneto (not yet anyway). If anything he wanted to achieve what Captain America is trying to do in the wake of AvX. Cyclops started the "Astonishing" era in order for mutants to be more in the public eye as heroes on par with the Avengers & FF. Even the Extinction team had the same goal, the only difference being they were more aggressive in seeking out bigger threats to demonstrate themselves as a deterrent to enemies of the mutant race. His methods only mirror that of Magneto's in terms of aggression, but not the goals.

For me, Cyclops was right in what he aims to achieve. But its certain methods and actions that may be questionable.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Decoy Elite

@satyrgod said:

Three can be no peace between human and mutant. That wouldn't sell comic books.

It'd actually be interesting to see a mutant/human team that faced threats from both sides. At least I think it would be. :X

And I'm not talking about Uncanny Avengers.

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By satyrgod

I'd like to see Cyclops leading a team of the X-Mens' deadliest adversaries, mentored by Magneto, counseled by the White Queen, and transformed into a real combat force.  Toad, Juggernaut, Sabertooth, Lady Mastermind.  The world relates to the X-Men as rebels, let 'em act the part and cause a scandalous ruckus between human-mutant relations and be a colossal pain in the but to Wolverine and the more valid, mainstream X-Men who are trying to earn a positive name for themselves.

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I just want to see Uncanny X-men taking on the Avengers...w.ww.wutwut. O.O

EDIT: ...and yes mags was right

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21  Edited By lorex

In a perfect worlt Xavier would be right but the Marvel Universe is far from perfect. Given the unballanced approace Marvel has always taken toward the superpowered beings, treating some like heroes and some like their worst nightmare come alive the Mutants have always gotton the worst end of the stick. Yes Magneto is right, the only way most mutants will be treated equally is from a position of strength. If Marvel is serious about a closer intergration of their main properties then I would live to see the hate groups that have focused on Mutants for so long to direct some of that toward the Avengers, Fantastic Four and others.

antemiusenteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By antemiusenteri

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@Decoy Elite said:

how is he in a position for that , he killed Xavier other x-men don't trust him and he's a wanted man...................thats no i deal position

Avatar image for markus_langbourn
    Markus_Langbourn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Markus_Langbourn

Both were wrong. They both were seduced by Extremism. 

THAT SAID, Cyclops was right until Schism, when Marvel decided to make him a villain. Idiots.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By havoc1201

@Blood1991 said:

Magneto is wrong and Cyclops is wrong. With every action they divide humans and mutants further making Coexistence a more difficult path. Through peace and reason African Americans and women in the United States obtained their rights through strength of character, and patience. Overtime the United States has made great strides in eliminating prejudice in these groups. People are afraid of what is different and what they struggle to understand, but even with homosexuality today time and exposure open peoples eyes to see that we are all people.

i see what you are saying but the Mutant race is superior to homo sapian and evolution has taught us that the emerging species can not co-exsietce with each other when it comes to black and gay rights it is different we are the same species but with mutants they are here as the next step of evolution and humans will never allow peace between the two.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Blood1991

@havoc1201 said:

@Blood1991 said:

i see what you are saying but the Mutant race is superior to homo sapian and evolution has taught us that the emerging species can not co-exsietce with each other when it comes to black and gay rights it is different we are the same species but with mutants they are here as the next step of evolution and humans will never allow peace between the two.

Well actually a group that creates a new adaptation "such as a white butterfly turning yellow to look poisonous to local predators" white butterfly will die out do to predators leaving the yellow butterfly "the better surviving species". When we look at it this way humans have no natural predators, so the reason for the X gene in the first place goes against recent development in the theory of adaptation and evolution. The only reason I can think of in the first place was that due to the rise in superhumans people began to adapt to the environment by producing their own powers. During Secret Invasion the Skrulls were afraid to invade the planet because of mutants better explaining the need for the mutation as a selfdefense to recent invaders on the planet. Anyway the reason mutants and humans can co-exist because mutants "usually" don't eat people.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By havoc1201

@Blood1991 said:

@havoc1201 said:

@Blood1991 said:

Well actually a group that creates a new adaptation "such as a white butterfly turning yellow to look poisonous to local predators" white butterfly will die out do to predators leaving the yellow butterfly "the better surviving species". When we look at it this way humans have no natural predators, so the reason for the X gene in the first place goes against recent development in the theory of adaptation and evolution. The only reason I can think of in the first place was that due to the rise in superhumans people began to adapt to the environment by producing their own powers. During Secret Invasion the Skrulls were afraid to invade the planet because of mutants better explaining the need for the mutation as a selfdefense to recent invaders on the planet. Anyway the reason mutants and humans can co-exist because mutants "usually" don't eat people.

just because mutants do not eat people does not mean that humans and mutants should exist together past steps in human evolution did not eat each other either but the superior species killed of the lesser ones so in pure evolution law Homo Superior is destined to take over for homo sapian the are not meant to share one planet.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Blood1991

@havoc1201 said:

@Blood1991 said:

@havoc1201 said:

@Blood1991 said:

just because mutants do not eat people does not mean that humans and mutants should exist together past steps in human evolution did not eat each other either but the superior species killed of the lesser ones so in pure evolution law Homo Superior is destined to take over for homo sapian the are not meant to share one planet.

I disagree completely. Species adapt to their environments and the other species in it. They cohabitate. This includes species that are believed to have evolved from a common ancestor. Many species that are incredibly similar live in the same areas together. Yes species out live and kill off others, but others live and thrive together and two species who are capable of reason should be able to achieve this.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By havoc1201

@Blood1991 said:

@havoc1201 said:

@Blood1991 said:

@havoc1201 said:

@Blood1991 said:

I disagree completely. Species adapt to their environments and the other species in it. They cohabitate. This includes species that are believed to have evolved from a common ancestor. Many species that are incredibly similar live in the same areas together. Yes species out live and kill off others, but others live and thrive together and two species who are capable of reason should be able to achieve this.

if you read any modern research paper on evolution they clearly state that when a new species of man emerged the less evolved species would be wiped out there has never been a time where to species of man florished along side one another if there had been then we would have multiple species of humans on this Earth and we do not have that, we have different races but not species.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Blood1991

@havoc1201 said:

@Blood1991 said:

@havoc1201 said:

@Blood1991 said:

@havoc1201 said:

@Blood1991 said:

if you read any modern research paper on evolution they clearly state that when a new species of man emerged the less evolved species would be wiped out there has never been a time where to species of man florished along side one another if there had been then we would have multiple species of humans on this Earth and we do not have that, we have different races but not species.

Neanderthals and Cromagnum are theorized by man anthropologist to have existed side by side for many years, but the reason for Neanderthals extinction is unknown "though some believe that Australian Aubergines may actually be related to them vs Cromagnum". Regardless these species had natural predators, and unlike Homo Sapiens were unable to manipulate their environment. How two species of humans would exist in the conditions we live would be vastly different than how others did. Now homo-sapiens may die out eventually do simply to mating and random adaptation "the X-Gene", That does not mean to species cannot co-exist for centuries until the adaptation becomes fully integrated.

Batnandez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Batnandez

is logan the new xavier?

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Blood1991

@Batnandez said:

is logan the new xavier?

Hmmmm Kinda. He Kitty and Ororo seem to be juggling the role among themselves.

Kitty is teaching the Original five

Ororo is Headmistress "she hasn't really done anything yet"

Logan is headmaster and Teen Cyclops's adoptive father figure in the making.

soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By soduh2

@Blood1991 said:

@Batnandez said:

is logan the new xavier?

Yeah... I hope not.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By havoc1201

@Blood1991 said:

@havoc1201 said:

@Blood1991 said:

@havoc1201 said:

@Blood1991 said:

@havoc1201 said:

@Blood1991 said:

Neanderthals and Cromagnum are theorized by man anthropologist to have existed side by side for many years, but the reason for Neanderthals extinction is unknown "though some believe that Australian Aubergines may actually be related to them vs Cromagnum". Regardless these species had natural predators, and unlike Homo Sapiens were unable to manipulate their environment. How two species of humans would exist in the conditions we live would be vastly different than how others did. Now homo-sapiens may die out eventually do simply to mating and random adaptation "the X-Gene", That does not mean to species cannot co-exist for centuries until the adaptation becomes fully integrated.

I understand what you are saying but modern man can understand that if the next step in evolution shows up then sapians days are close to an end and i really doubt they would be very welcoming to the new species. Millions of years ago they were not as cognative to change as we are now, also most researchers believe that yes the new species breeding with the old but they also killed them off bc at that time in our history survival of the fittest was very much in play. Now a days the Mutants probably would not just kill of Sapian but i highly doubt a peaceful co-habition of the planet would happen there would be hate and fear, and sapian would do all they could to hold on as the top of the food chain, look how well we share the planet with the same species just differant races and religion, now add people who have powers..I dont see peace between Mutants and Humans we cant even get along with our own species.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Blood1991

@havoc1201 said:

@Blood1991 said:

@havoc1201 said:

@Blood1991 said:

@havoc1201 said:

@Blood1991 said:

@havoc1201 said:

@Blood1991 said:

I understand what you are saying but modern man can understand that if the next step in evolution shows up then sapians days are close to an end and i really doubt they would be very welcoming to the new species. Millions of years ago they were not as cognative to change as we are now, also most researchers believe that yes the new species breeding with the old but they also killed them off bc at that time in our history survival of the fittest was very much in play. Now a days the Mutants probably would not just kill of Sapian but i highly doubt a peaceful co-habition of the planet would happen there would be hate and fear, and sapian would do all they could to hold on as the top of the food chain, look how well we share the planet with the same species just differant races and religion, now add people who have powers..I dont see peace between Mutants and Humans we cant even get along with our own species.

I understand yours as well, but attempting peace and understanding no matter how unlikely is better than up and killing each other. Humans can cooperate. We have found common ground with each other even if it took centuries of injustice to achieve it. I honestly think that the two could find peace and mutual understanding.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Blood1991

@soduh2 said:

@Blood1991 said:

@Batnandez said:

is logan the new xavier?

Yeah... I hope not.

Daaaaw, but Teen Cyke calling people bub and threatening to blow their heads off will be so much fun. Also incredibly ironic and painful....

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ssejllenrad

@Batnandez said:

is logan the new xavier?

Nope. He's got hair and can walk. Not to mention he can't read minds.

Batnandez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Batnandez

@ssejllenrad said:

@Batnandez said:

is logan the new xavier?

derp

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ssejllenrad

@Batnandez said:

@ssejllenrad said:

@Batnandez said:

is logan the new xavier?

derp

Wait! I take it back!

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By chasereis

@Markus_Langbourn said:

Both were wrong. They both were seduced by Extremism.

Well said sir, Well said.

Avatar image for supremehyperion
    SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#40  Edited By SupremeHyperion

in the end like everything Coexistence is impossible when there is atleast one person who doesn't want it to happen (magneto before, cyclops now along with all the mutant hating humans) the history of civil rights or lack there of.

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DarkxSeraph
    cyclops now along with all the mutant hating humans

There is nothing that said Cyke doesn't want co-existence. He wants to protect his people from the other side.
    CTG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By CTG

@SupremeHyperion said:

in the end like everything Coexistence is impossible when there is atleast one person who doesn't want it to happen (magneto before, cyclops now along with all the mutant hating humans) the history of civil rights or lack there of.

What are you talking about? Cyclops still wants coexistence - he even said so in AvX: Consequences. He's allowed Wolverine and the Jean Grey School to continue that fight, while he protects the new mutants popping up from injustice and persecution.

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By chasereis

@CTG: I wouldnt argue on the point of coexistance, on one level or the other, but he is taking the wrong approach to achieve that end and has been for years. He could defend the new mutants that are popping up just the same from the school POV. He just chooses not to and is now hiding behind the facade of being a criminal on the run to justify his actions, short term gain for long term damage.

CTG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CTG

@chasereis said:

@CTG: I wouldnt argue on the point of coexistance, on one level or the other, but he is taking the wrong approach to achieve that end and has been for years. He could defend the new mutants that are popping up just the same from the school POV. He just chooses not to and is now hiding behind the facade of being a criminal on the run to justify his actions, short term gain for long term damage.

That makes no sense. He doesn't want to be a criminal - he didn't choose to be hated, however he knows that his situation right now. Why would he choose to "hide behind the facade of being a criminal" when ultimately, he's looking for redemption. Out of everything we've seen from him post-AVX, he's only defended mutants. He's never gone looking for trouble, he's never used unnecessary force - he's only ever been engaged in violence when (literally) in defense of mutants.

The JGS POV is that they shouldn't have to fight, while Scott's is that the fight is inevitable - that was the entire point of Schism. So no, he can't do the same thing at the JGS. Not to mention there a few there who want to (at least) hurt - if not flat out kill him.

You can disagree w/ his approach - that's apples and oranges, but to ignore what has clearly been told to us since Schism is mind boggling.

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By chasereis

@CTG: Who ignored what? I'm just saying his methods are counter productive in the end that is it. Nothing more or less.

xtremexfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By xtremexfan

My theory is that Charles Xavier jumped into Scott's mind just as he died. Now Charles is using Scott's body to screw with everyone's powers and he's decided fuck peaceful cohabitation, all it got me was death, and now he's fucking with everything.

tahmidk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By tahmidk

Cyclops and Magneto are both wrong, they are creating further rift and divide between mutants and humans. However Cyclops is right in forming a revolution to protect mutants from harm, but in the long run making things much worse.

GAMBIT WAS RIGHT

Imperfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Imperfect

Cyclops was right and there is one thing I don't get, why did Magneto rescue Cyclops out of jail and in Uncanny X-Men he want Cyclops to be back in jail ?

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#49  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@Imperfect said:

Cyclops was right and there is one thing I don't get, why did Magneto rescue Cyclops out of jail and in Uncanny X-Men he want Cyclops to be back in jail ?

Because at the time he didn't realize his powers were skewered? That seems to be the biggest blow to him despite it being a shoddy reason.

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By OmgOmgWtfWtf

When is Jean Grey gonna come back? I just want her to kick Scott in the balls and tell him to stop being a dickhead for once. I wouldn't mind if she just did that and died again.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.