Follow

Cyclops

Character » Cyclops appears in 11209 issues.

The first X-Man, Scott Summers possesses the mutant ability to fire powerful concussive blasts through his eyes that act as a portal to another dimension full of the force that makes up his optic blast. He is visually distinctive for the ruby quartz visor he wears to control his devastating power. A born leader, Cyclops succeeded his mentor Professor X to command the X-Men.

The Mystery of Cyclops' Disappearance Continues to Unfold

• 68 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

With the relaunch of several titles under the All-New, All-Different Marvel banner, we've been left wondering what happened to certain characters in the 8 month time period since Secret Wars ended. One of the mysteries was the absence of the adult version of Cyclops. We gathered the clues from ALL-NEW X-MEN #1 and EXTRAORDINARY X-MEN #3 and discussed them HERE. Some new startling information has surfaced in EXTRAORDINARY X-MEN #4 as well.

There will be spoilers below if you haven't read any of the above listed comics.

Before Secret Wars, we had two versions of Cyclops. Beast brought the younger versions of the original X-Men into the present and they got stuck there. What we discovered earlier was the adult Cyclops was dead.

No Caption Provided

Cyclops decided to attack the Inhumans and apparently died. This statement left readers skeptical since we didn't actually see the death occur plus this is comic books we're talking about. It could be possible for Marvel to actually have the adult Cyclops remain dead for a period. Jean Grey has been dead for years with the younger version remaining the one and only Jean in comics. Wolverine's been dead for over a year as well with X-23 taking his mantle and Old Man Logan arriving from an alternate future to fill his spot on the team.

It turns out the return of Cyclops may be sooner than we expected. In EXTRAORDINARY X-MEN #4, we discovered that Mr. Sinister has been trying to fix the fact that mutants have become sterile due to the Terrigen Mists and are on their way to extinction. Since this is Mr. Sinister we're talking about, that means he's been doing some experiments on mutants.

No Caption Provided

Sinister hasn't had much success. He figured the only way to have mutants evolve is to make them part Inhuman. Despite his attempts, he's been unable to to get the mutant and Inhuman DNA to coexist.

It appeared all of Sinister's test subjects ended up dying. As you would expect, it turned out there was one exception.

No Caption Provided

You may be wondering what all of this has to do with Cyclops. Sinister has long been fascinated with Cyclops and the Summers bloodline. Who is the one mutant that was able to survive his experimentation?

No Caption Provided

The issue ended with Cyclops emerging with some major changes. Sinister apparently was able to fuse some Inhuman DNA into him. What we don't know is what this has done to him or how he ended up in Sinster's hands.

Cyclops has been determined to help mutantkind survive. It doesn't seem likely he'd volunteer to be part of Sinister's experiments. What we heard before was he attacked the Inhumans. It's possible the attack left him beaten and weak. Perhaps Sinister happened to be close by and managed to scoop up Scott's body to see if he could make his idea work. Maybe he even made some sort of deal with the Inhumans since he's also managed to acquire a large amount of Terrigen Mists.

Even if that was the case, why has Scott remained with Sinister all this time? The cover to the next issue gives the impression he may be willing to do Sinister's bidding and could be fighting the X-Men.

No Caption Provided

It also looks like Cyclops' entire body becomes hardened by a new exterior. Has the experimentation affected his mind as well? Has Sinister managed to make Cyclops his puppet? Is this just a Cyclops clone? Unfortunately we'll have to wait until January 13 to find out more.

Has Cyclops now become part Inhuman and what will this mean for the future of the X-Men? At least Cyclops isn't dead. The question is whether or not this change is for the better.

What do you think of this latest outcome?

Avatar image for brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie
    brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I think Marvel needs to tell readers what the **** happened already and stop dragging it out. There's no way whatever they reveal in the end will be worth it.

_Vex_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think Cyclops actually volunteered for the testing despite what the article says. Think about it; He literally betrayed every single one of his morals that was taught by Xavier and turned into a basic Magneto. It would be of no surprise that he would sacrifice himself in some manner or another.

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe he died. Sinister experimented and reanimated him. I gotta be to used to manga tho. I really don't see how this has been dragged out, it's only been a few issues.

Avatar image for brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie
    brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nite_nite: What's dragged out is the way all characters are talking about him in ridiculously vague terms since ANAD started, dancing around not saying what happened so much that it comes off as awkward & cheap dialogue.

If I see one more character ominously say "...What Cyclops DID......" ...just ugh

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad the old visor is back.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just thought it was one of the many clones of Cyclops that Sinister has.

No Caption Provided

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Better off dead than Inhuman. That said, I don't mind the storyline so much. Just resolve it soon...

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@dondave said:

I just thought it was one of the many clones of Cyclops that Sinister has.

I still think that but who knows with Marvel these days. They're just doing whatever with their characters now.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

@dernman: Where'd you got the winking puppy from?
    (It looks familiar somehow...)

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dernman

@donfelipe: From a comic book. It was some time back so I don't remember what book it was. It wasn't Marvel or DC.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is that young cyclops or old cyclops ?

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Poor X-men... Marvel is just doing anything with them right now and that bites the big one.

First they kill off Logan last year, gambit also has not been in a X book as far as i can remember, and now cyclops has been turned half mutant half inhuman ???

If i was a regular X-men reader i would be pissed.

Avatar image for amazingspiderdan
    AmazingSpiderDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about a we uncover the mystery behind why Humberto Ramos keeps getting work

Zaeroar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for currentthor2015
    CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To everyone saying they should all just tell everyone what happened during the 8 month skip right away, understand not everyone wants the plot spoonfed to them right away in the first couple of issues and may actually enjoy not knowing everything right away.

SEGENIS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MARVEL PLS STOP HATING CYCLOPS

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way they talk about Inhumans being on the rise and Mutants dying out seems to relate to the MCU/Fox situation.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
    CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@segenis: Young Scott is doing a bit better in All-New X-Men

beaubier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I'm sick of the "what Cyclops did" dialogue as well. Whatever it was, it's not going to measure up to the hype at this point. They just keep beating around the bush about Cyclops and about what the terrigen cloud is really doing in several books. It's annoying when it keeps being mentioned in this way.

The whole thing about mutants becoming sterile doesn't even make sense considering the majority of the mutants come from human parents. Honestly I'm already tired of this whole story.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

@dernman: Ah, man, thanks. I'm a dog! I knew it!

Final issue of Rover Red Charlie. One heck of a comic book. Time to re-read.

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"What Cyclops did doesn't bother me because they were saying the same stuff after he killed Xavier. It's natural for them to say what he did and not give some exposition because why would they gibe it to each other? It's only bothering because the reader feels left out about something that all the characters know. I'm fine with it.

Btw that is obviously a clone. Clone, clone, clonee

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays, what do you think about this?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donfelipe: yeah I liked that. Little disappointing with the ending but otherwise good book.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not the real Scott its a Fake!!!

No Caption Provided

Sinister no doubt has some DNA and built his own Scott to play with, this is to easy a return.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good, now he can truly be the villain Bendis laughably tried to convince us he hasn't been since Schism.

Darkpesmerga10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MultipleMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't read anything in a while but at least the x visor is gone it looks like, I'm just gonna start going for the villains at this point also. Maybe they will just destroy everything.

doombot890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: where is this from? I need to own this

doombot890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bl00dwerk: I don't think Mutants can become Inhuman (other than by editors retconning). Isn't that the whole storyline of extraordinary X-men ..that the terragon mist are killing mutants ??

elam1999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn it, that asshole isn't dead yet

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35 owie  Moderator

I could totally see recent Scott working with Sinister if it involves reigniting the mutant future. Just look at what he did to get Hope.

zackattack93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He'll come back as a black trans woman in a wheel chair because marvel just isnt PC enough and they HAVE to let us know about it.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beaubier said:

Yeah, I'm sick of the "what Cyclops did" dialogue as well. Whatever it was, it's not going to measure up to the hype at this point. They just keep beating around the bush about Cyclops and about what the terrigen cloud is really doing in several books. It's annoying when it keeps being mentioned in this way.

The whole thing about mutants becoming sterile doesn't even make sense considering the majority of the mutants come from human parents. Honestly I'm already tired of this whole story.

It actually does make sense. For example with cats, Calico males are rare and usually sterile since the gene is on the X chromosome. This is just how the X gene is affected by Terrigen Mists, so I'm assuming when or if a new mutant is created by humans, they're born sterile.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bl00dwerk: I don't think Mutants can become Inhuman (other than by editors retconning). Isn't that the whole storyline of extraordinary X-men ..that the terragon mist are killing mutants ??

Didn't you read the issue? Sinister claims to be trying to combine mutant and inhuman dna, or whatever. That's what that Cyclops is suppossed to be: The one combination that has managed to survive, so far...

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Koays  Online

@zearing: I think Cloneclops is Cloneclops and if its not Cloneclops then I'll still have to pretend it is for my sanity.

Really though, its pretty clear that all the hyping they're doing for Cyclops and what exactly he did to/with the inhumans would be ruined if he was turned into some giant Cykezilla monster for Sinister

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

jaybefre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jaybefre

I'm thinking it's either a Cyclops clone along the lines of what they did with Magneto's clone Joseph back in the day. He's not going to remember anything about his past and the Extraordinary X-Men are going to take him in and rehabilitate him. Or, this is indeed our 616 Cyclops, Scott Summers, who after this altercation, fight or battle will come out of it with his memory erased like Angel, Warren Worthington III during the Uncanny X Force run. Bottom line: I'm just happy to see Cyclops again. Maybe Jeff cannot write him as a jerk or Marvel's punching bag.

doombot890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

haven't read the issue. but will now. I honestly don't know what is going on in the world of mutants after secret wars...I've mostly been reading Iron Man and Inhumans (the one with Blackbolt as I'd like to see how they get their son back, and Kang...love Kang)

Avatar image for germancomicidiot
    GermanComicIdiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clones clones clones. Just a matter of time, until 616 Wolvi comes back with the help of Deadpool and Rogers. It´s so boring.

Avatar image for child_of_the_past
    Child_of_the_Past

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edblank: It's funny how even though Marvel seems to be plainly stating that in the books people still are under the impression that the whole thing is a conspiracy against the X-Men. Isn't the whole point of a conspiracy to keep things hidden or at least subtle. The way Marvel seems to be parading this issue around makes me believe that they are openly mocking those who actually believe the conspiracy exists. If Marvel actually snuffs out the X-Men they might be the dumbest company in the history of comics. They would have to realize that would destroy their comic sales and cause even casual fans to lose respect for them.

My main point here is that things may not be as they seem.

MK5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I like this development. Cyclops' is determined to survive. Really interested to learn what his state of mind is.

BIGGGHEADTJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@child_of_the_past: i agree it wouldn't make sense in a business perspective X-Men and Spider-Man are pretty much Marvel two biggest franchise and it wasn't until recently that the Avengers was popular. I mean before Brian Micheal bendis took over the Avengers title they were only no big names in the Avengers besides Iron Man and Cap. Also i recall before Iron Man came out on the big screen almost no one knew about him except for comic fans. So basically ill I'm saying is that Marvel really can't get rid of Spiderman or Xmen because thats like DC stopping batman titles

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@_vex_: Wait, is that past or present cyclops ( also the fact that I need to even ask this shows us the current state of the X-Men, this all new bull is annoying )

MasterOfEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spoiler alert: Marvel turns all the mutants into inhumans.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.