Follow

Cyclops

Character » Cyclops appears in 11232 issues.

The first X-Man, Scott Summers possesses the mutant ability to fire powerful concussive blasts through his eyes that act as a portal to another dimension full of the force that makes up his optic blast. He is visually distinctive for the ruby quartz visor he wears to control his devastating power. A born leader, Cyclops succeeded his mentor Professor X to command the X-Men.

Is it time for Cyke to remove the lenses?

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is it time that Cyclops learns to control his mutant powers?

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

He's already had a couple of times where he did. And considering his powers have finally undergone an alteration that is barely over a year old, no.

ChildoftheAtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wanted to point it out that lets say he finally masters the powers he would need a name change. Plus the powers could still physically represent he is a mutant as his eyes could always glow red like gambit. Now about him still being a cyclops no he won't have to lose an eye but rather when he is about to use his powers( like storm) or gets emotional the energy comes in front of his eyes so intense that it cover the bridge of his nose in a chaotic fashion.

I think this would look so cool and still have him look mutant all the time. Which I think was the main deal with the visor

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

He's already had a couple of times where he did. And considering his powers have finally undergone an alteration that is barely over a year old, no.

This.

Also the more limitations/faults a character has the better.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Wolverine008

@jonny_anonymous said:

@god_spawn said:

This.

Not at all. A character being flawless/limitless isn't good, but more flaws doesn't necessarily equate to a more depth filled character. Writing like that honestly just comes off as forced and cliched. The flaws/faults have to feel natural and flow with the character in question. Too many flaws will cheapen the weight those flaws are supposed to bring about.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I prefer the iconic look, so no.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

@god_spawn said:

This.

Not at all. A character being flawless/limitless isn't good, but more flaws doesn't necessarily equate to a more depth filled character. Writing like that honestly just comes off as forced and cliched. The flaws/faults have to feel natural and flow with the character in question. Too many flaws will cheapen the weight those flaws are supposed to bring about.

I disagree, I think a good character is defined why what he cant do, not what he can.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@god_spawn said:

This.

I disagree, I think a good character is defined why what he cant do, not what he can.

In a sense, but like I said, just gratuitously piling on flaws upon flaws is going to garner eye rolls and sighs rather than a reader actually connecting with a character, which is the main goal at the end of the day. Comic book writers are better off giving characters a few select, well defined and well explored flaws rather than just constantly throwing them at a character.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

@wolverine08 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@god_spawn said:

This.

In a sense, but like I said, just gratuitously piling on flaws upon flaws is going to garner eye rolls and sighs rather than a reader actually connecting with a character, which is the main goal at the end of the day. Comic book writers are better off giving characters a few select, well defined and well explored flaws rather than just constantly throwing them at a character.

I think it depends in what the laws are

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ubungqingili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its been time hurry it up already in he can still be called cyclops why does he need his powers too not be in his control.

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

having issues of control as so eloquently pointed out by Joss Whedon through Emma Frost is what gives Scott Summers depth. however, i would also be keen to see him grow as a character. but not so soon. we have seen future versions of Cyclops with glowing red eyes and no visor. however, if we do see it in regular continuity, i would go for perpetually glowing red eyes when he isnt in combat, but the addition of the visor as part of his uniform for fights where he needs more precise control.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#13 god_spawn  Moderator

Its been time hurry it up already in he can still be called cyclops why does he need his powers too not be in his control.

It's had its time on a couple of occasions. Its had its time just 2 years ago. And someone finally changed his powers in some way and that is barely a year old. How about we let that actually run for awhile before we change it.

Pizzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's more well known that way. Another writer will come and make him lose control later anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.