Follow

Cyclops

Character » Cyclops appears in 11232 issues.

The first X-Man, Scott Summers possesses the mutant ability to fire powerful concussive blasts through his eyes that act as a portal to another dimension full of the force that makes up his optic blast. He is visually distinctive for the ruby quartz visor he wears to control his devastating power. A born leader, Cyclops succeeded his mentor Professor X to command the X-Men.

Is Cyclops a mutant supremecist?

• 82 results
    karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By karrob

@Soulstealer: Well said!

Spidey_Guy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Spidey_Guy1

Cyclops has a lot of pride for the mutant race just like anyone else would for their race. The only difference is that mutants are the next step in human evolution. And that can bring along a lot of fear and hatred from the baseline humans. No more mutants being born was something that was forced on mutantkind. Cyclops is just doing everything he can to preserve his race at this time. He's gone far beyond the call of duty compared to Professor X (Where is he these days?) and Magneto. Cyclops has come a long way and I'm very impressed with his much needed evolution.

Spidey_Guy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By Spidey_Guy1
    @tg1982 said:

@jrock85 said:

Character derailment.

Personally I think they been doing it since Morrison's run way back when (really since when he "sacrificed" himself to Apocalypse...

Cyke used to be my favorite X-Man back in the 90's (when I first got into comics) and I even got a few old school back issues and the Essential X-Men starting with the Giant X-men #1.

In a way merging with Apocalypse for a while was a derailment. But how many mutants can merge with En Sabah Nur like that and still find his way out of the darkness? Wolverine, Gambit, Archangel and others were only Horsemen while Scott was merged with evil incarnate. If anything I'd say that this was a "gut check" moment in his life. Sacrifices were made, his great union with Jean was over and he eventually left Professor X in the dust while embracing Magneto's views on mutantkind. And now it's to the point that he finally checked Wolverine with not much regard to the schism that was caused afterwards. I always loved Cyclops as a character. From his awkward, humbled beginnings to his do or die assertiveness, Scott Summers will always be my favorite mutant.
    karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By karetaker

@ExtraLarge: why would he want to let his species die off?

oraclefyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By oraclefyre

90s Cyclops was really good. People say the Cyclops of the last 10 years is the "real" Cyclops, But people forget that 90s Cyke was a great leader and tactician. I think people sometime confuse his character development with his leading ability.

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Crimsonlord53

He may not be now but his actions are taking him down a dark path.

Being the only one making the "hard decisions" may turn out to be bad for scott and the X-men.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#57  Edited By ReVamp

@oraclefyre said:

90s Cyclops was really good. People say the Cyclops of the last 10 years is the "real" Cyclops, But people forget that 90s Cyke was a great leader and tactician. I think people sometime confuse his character development with his leading ability.

Cyclops was always an extraordinarily good leader. Back in Claremont's run, he definitely showed this exceedingly well.

Hareil0079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Hareil0079

He's a great leader but not all great things are made to last and i'm sure we're gonna see that in AvX

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#59  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

Enough with the "AvX is gonna ruin him and make him evil" speculation crap.

Hareil0079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Hareil0079

I'm saying it's gonna go bad like beings who come into power end up happening in the MU it's history simply repeating itself

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61  Edited By BatteredArmor

@god_spawn said:

After the cover of him and Emma tearing each other apart I've become convinced (and depressed) that this is exactly what will happen.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@BlackArmor said:

@god_spawn said:

After the cover of him and Emma tearing each other apart I've become convinced (and depressed) that this is exactly what will happen.

And covers majority of the time are wrong.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By BatteredArmor

@god_spawn said:

@BlackArmor said:

@god_spawn said:

And covers majority of the time are wrong.

Usually I'd be one of the first to dismiss it as a cover but I've read 2 interviews by two different AVX writers that basically state that Cyke and Emma (and Namor) are going to fight, last time you convinced me that Cyke would be fine partially because he and Emma are so popular as a couple but at the very least they're going to have some serious problems and if Marvel is willing to do that I don't see them thinking Cyke's life is all that sacred

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@BlackArmor: And all these events have had minimal effect on things. Siege didn't do much. Fear Itself just made Steve Rogers Cap, Bucky Winter Soldier and Thor was gone for 2 issues in his own series. As I keep saying, even if they fight it's just going to bring things to square one. Scott and Emma may need the fight so Emma shows Scott the importance of her and other things. It's a wake up call.

Hareil0079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Hareil0079

Pretty much what scott needs.. a wake up call. Personally I think

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By BatteredArmor

@god_spawn: Marvel's perpetual status quo is a good point. But if they make him seen as a villain his safety isn't as assured. Admittedly I avoided Fear Itself and Siege like a plague but if I'm not mistaken hero's who are not seen as being heroes anymore don't usually get to go back to how things were before the event and with Cyclops gaining cosmic power he's certainly in a position to no longer be seen as a hero

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@BlackArmor: Technically so was Iron Man after Civil War. Sentry in Siege became a villain (Void) and they went to his funeral. As I keep saying, he may be shaky for awhile as in people don't trust him but it's square one afterwards.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By BatteredArmor

@god_spawn: I guess we'll see how far down the path of shakiness but the moment he goes from shaky to evil (if he does) we might as well consider him dead where he stands (or floats if hes still Cyenix). What bothers me most is that if he does go evil or is killed it won't be well written or in character

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@BlackArmor: Nothing about this event is well written except for a few tie ins. But neither was Siege or Fear Itself and those didn't do much.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By BatteredArmor

@god_spawn: I guess we'll see if that applies here.....well the bad writing definitely applies here but I mean about the not doing much part

Hareil0079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Hareil0079

@BlackArmor said:

@god_spawn: I guess we'll see how far down the path of shakiness but the moment he goes from shaky to evil (if he does) we might as well consider him dead where he stands (or floats if hes still Cyenix). What bothers me most is that if he does go evil or is killed it won't be well written or in character

I don't see him getting killed off but definetly his actions whatever future ones we see will set them back to square one

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@Hareil0079 said:

@BlackArmor said:

I don't see him getting killed off but definetly his actions whatever future ones we see will set them back to square one

It's a vicious cycle and honestly, that's pretty much all their events have done. Just set something back to square one.

oraclefyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By oraclefyre

@ReVamp said:

@oraclefyre said:

Cyclops was always an extraordinarily good leader. Back in Claremont's run, he definitely showed this exceedingly well.

Very true. I grew up reading 90s comics and that's led me to be more familiar how he was in the 90s. But it just frustrates me to no end how people say that Cyclops was a dud before the 2000s. People somehow manage to blame his "crappy leadership" on Jean, which is just a cop out it my opinion and a pathetic excuse. Cyclops leadership has always been great. I remember someone calling Scott of the last 10 years more "relevant" somewhere. If I had his optic blasts I would use them often and frequently. I hate how people seem to treat Scott like separate entities based on the era (which I realised I did, but for arguments sake). Scott has always been Scott. Sure he's gone through changes, but he's merely reacting to circumstance, which is natural.

So yeah...I just get really defensive when it comes to Slim.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but the writers are not doing him any favors in portraying him in a way that does not leads others to feel this way. Too many situations where he is shown in a manner where is unusually arrogant or confrontational when it really is not necessary. I'm pretty sure once AvX is over and the writers no longer need to manufacture conflict to push the event he will be portrayed in a more even keel manner again.

tchalla3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By tchalla3000

even in the most recent comics, cyclops is not portrayed as a supremisits, just as a man who has been pushed to far. he still believes in prof. x dream, he just accomplishes this dream in his own way.

soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#76  Edited By soduh2

I'd say he is a Mutant nationalist before a Mutant supremacist. Sort of like the Black Panther Party in the 1960s. People like to compare the mutants to the 1960s civil rights movement, commonly Xavier is MLK jr and Magneto is Malcolm X (both having a change of heart). Using these parameters I would say Cyclops is Huey Newton (mixed with Bobby Seale), only Cyclops is more successful in establishing a "nation" for there respective groups.

LaryKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By LaryKing

@god_spawn: Look,we might have disagreed in the past,but i sure as hell agree with you in that one.Cyclops has nothing to do with magneto.Magneto tried to kill all humans to ensure mutant survival,while cyke only defends mutants under attack ,without killing people

Tweetie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uhmm he did murdered Xavier, his mentor, someone who was like a father to him. Also, he was the Dark Phoenix during AVX who wanted to destroy the whole world and the heroes. That's including his teammate as well, xm. So yes, he's supporting magneto's path. That's no question.

Avatar image for deactivated-60e87a786cc9c
    deactivated-60e87a786cc9c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@tweetie said:

Uhmm he did murdered Xavier, his mentor, someone who was like a father to him. Also, he was the Dark Phoenix during AVX who wanted to destroy the whole world and the heroes. That's including his teammate as well, xm. So yes, he's supporting magneto's path. That's no question.

You're wrong.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

even in the most recent comics, cyclops is not portrayed as a supremisits, just as a man who has been pushed to far. he still believes in prof. x dream, he just accomplishes this dream in his own way.

Right.

Toratorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnihal: would you please stop bumping year-old Cyclops threads?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toratorn said:

@mrnihal: would you please stop bumping year-old Cyclops threads?

Why?Mute your notification.Is this against rules?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.