Follow

Cyclops

Character » Cyclops appears in 11232 issues.

The first X-Man, Scott Summers possesses the mutant ability to fire powerful concussive blasts through his eyes that act as a portal to another dimension full of the force that makes up his optic blast. He is visually distinctive for the ruby quartz visor he wears to control his devastating power. A born leader, Cyclops succeeded his mentor Professor X to command the X-Men.

Cyclops' Best Battles

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Scott Summers, a.k.a. Cyclops, was once the leader of the X-Men for a good reason. Sure, he may have made some polarizing decisions, but the dude's a superb combatant and tactician. Given Summers' powerful optic blasts, he could get away with just blasting like a mad man if he really wanted to. However, that's not what he does. He's always thinking about how a fight could play out and what he can do to tilt the odds in his favor. Now, that doesn't guarantee he'll always win, but his brilliant mind and precision with his power means he's going to put up one hell of a fight. And that's most certainly what he's done dozens upon dozens of times over the decades. Slim's seen a lot of action, so obviously we won't have everyone's favorite on here, but we think the follow battles deserve a highlight. If your top choice isn't below, go ahead and share it in the comments.

vs. the X-Men

No Caption Provided

In UNCANNY X-MEN #175, Scott was put in a very, very difficult position. The X-Men viewed him as the Dark Phoenix and they came to one conclusion: their target needs to be taken down. A good chunk of this issue shows just how skilled of a fighter Scott really is. Not only does he use his emphasis on countering and throwing in melee combat to help him hold his own against multiple characters, but it also shows just how well he knows his allies. One by one, he's able to find ways to bring them down and, luckily for him, makes it out of the experience in one piece. If you love Cyclops and you really love seeing why he's a boss, this is a must own issue for you.

vs. Apocalypse

No Caption Provided

One doesn't simply put Cyclops' friends in danger. That's a lesson the powerful Apocalypse learned back in X-FACTOR #68. Even though the villain was bigger than ever, firing ginormous blasts and soaking the combined might of various X-Men and Inhumans, En Sabah Nur just couldn't withstand an enhanced blast from good ol' Scott Summers (thanks to a boost from his brother, Havok) and the projectile made the titan come crashing down to the ground. It's an optic blast that's worthy of its splash page, that's for sure.

vs. Mr. Sinister

No Caption Provided

Two mega blasts from Cyclops in a row? Sure, why not? Before Scott humiliated Apocalypse, the mutant blasted apart Mr. Sinister in X-FACTOR #39. This is another example of a big bad embarrassing Scott's allies and the leader making sure that comes to an end. Sinister could effortlessly tank anything and everything the characters threw his way, but he had no defense against Scott's mutant power. So, when Cyclops finally had the chance to step up to the plate, he didn't hold back at all. The above picture makes that pretty clear, doesn't it?

vs. Wolverine

No Caption Provided

Somewhere out there, a Wolverine fan isn't very happy that we're including this one. Look, we understand why but that doesn't change the fact that their brawl in Schism(4-5) was downright badass. Should Slim be able to keep fighting after getting stabbed in the bicep, hands, and getting adamantium smashed against his face multiple times? The dude's tough, but that's pushing it pretty far. Still, this violent melee serves the narrative well and it's a savage spectacle for fans of Cyclops.

vs. Master Mold

No Caption Provided

Way back in X-FACTOR #14, Cyclops went one on one with Master Mold. What makes this encounter special and worthy of our praise is the fact it puts Scott's tactics to the test. Not only must he attempt to protect a police officer from the towering threat, but Scott needs to find his way out of what appears to be a no-win situation. The big robot gets its hand on the X-Man and Scott sees he could set off a big explosion. The blast would defeat his foe, but it would also take his life. Scott, however, remembers his training and finds a way to cheat death by putting his powers to proper use.

vs. Sentinel

No Caption Provided

Joss Whedon and John Cassaday'sASTONISHING X-MEN is awesome (that's a fact, not an opinion). It's a great X-Men tale and an especially great arc for Cyclops. The leader has quite a few standout moments, but two come to mind immediately: "I want this thing off my lawn" and "to me, my X-Men." Both are unforgettable scenes, but how could we not include Cyclops removing his visor to obliterate a Sentinel? In fact, it's so astonishing impressive that it even made Wolverine show Scott some respect.

AvX madness

No Caption Provided

Welcome to the most polarizing option on our list! Many believe Scott Summers was right in the massive AvX conflict, and the X-Man refused to back down even when the world was against him. The Avengers, X-Men, and Professor X stood before him, but he refused to budge on his position. Seeing as this is a comic book event, they of course had a grand battle instead of grabbing a coffee and discussing it like civilized people. He even went so far as to betray Emma Frost so he could have the might of the Phoenix all to himself. And, of course, no one can forget he was even willing to kill someone very close to him in order to fight for what he believes in. Even after all of this craziness, a large amount of fans still stand by his side and believe he was correct.

vs. the X-Men (again!)

No Caption Provided

Cyclops knows his team incredibly well, so after an encounter with Proteus left them shaking and devoid of confidence, he was concerned and knew he needed to do something about it. We're talking about a team that regularly needs to take on villains, so they have to be ready at any time. What happened next in UNCANNY X-MEN #127 is basically some very tough love from Scott. Even Wolvie was impacted by the skirmish with Proteus, so Scott rudely called him out on it in an attempt to get him riled up. As if that wasn't enough, he then splashed a drink on Logan's face. His goal was simple: get the team back in fighting mode. His "dialogue" with Wolverine certainly did just that. Logan lept into action and Scott was able to barely dodge the adamantium claws while still holding his own. Slim pretty much viewed this as a Danger Room exercise -- except no one else got the memo! The rest of the team thought he lost it, so a few more join in and Scott was still able to hold his own. When all is said and done, he told them why he acted like such a jerk and, surprisingly enough, it made Wolverine praise Cyclops' abilities as a leader.

What's YOUR favorite Cyclops battle? Don't be shy, share it with the world in the comments section!

gjohnston786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

1st! Good article Katzman, I enjoy when Scott and Alex fight

KikeJunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those X-Men!!! They're always betraying Cyclops!!! hahahahaha

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kikejunior

Those X-Men!!! They're always betraying Cyclops!!! hahahahaha

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Yup, the fight in Schism will always be one of my favorites

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Cap10nate

Does Cyclops have enhanced physicals that allow him to take excessive abuse or is he basically human in his durability?

Also, does the power source to his eye blast ever drain? If he were to just leave the visor off for a long time, would the blasts come out forever or would they taper off?

One final question, is there an origin story for Scott that shows him as a kid the first time he opens his eyes and blows something up. I think it would be interesting to see a story where he is dealing with the fact that he cannot open his eyes until someone figures out that the ruby quartz will neutralize it?

I've read a lot of Marvel books but never too much from the X-Men side.

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Love it when writer's show Cyclop's tactical/strategic mind.

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By vandinejd_1991

You certainly aren't doing anything to improve my opinion of Scott are you @k4tzm4n?

Although these battles are really awesome. Cyclops is still a douche though.

American_Flag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always loved me some Cyclops.

cresShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cap10nate: mutants are sometimes considered to be more resilient than the average person. also, his powers come from a non-Einsteinian universe that opens up whenever he uses his optic blasts Cyclops' eyes contain inter-dimensional apertures, releasing powerful energies from another dimension into his own via the beams so in theory they are endless but it's like keeping your eyes open without blinking. you gotta shut them at some point. and yes there are a few origin stories

Cernokus1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cernokus1984

I loved it when Cyclops took off his visor and blasted Onslaught in the gut wayyyy back. Classic

cresShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cresShadow
    No Caption Provided

this little moment right here

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love the AVX fight. It's the definition of apocalyptic.

Nerd Of A Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 2

I love the Fight with him vs Wolverine in schism. Most. Epic. Fight. Ever.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And that is why Gambit doesn't beat Cyke.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By owie  Moderator

Good stuff. Another reason why the Master Mold battle is so good is how it acts as a way for him to get through/past some pretty tough personal times. He's up there in Alaska, looking for his wife Maddie, who's missing, and also conflicted about the recently-resurrected (for the first time) Jean, so his head is really not in a good place. But Slim doesn't let stuff like his personal life get in the way when the going gets tough, and he uses his training to do what he has to do, even against the massively huge (albeit somewhat mentally dysfunctional) Master Mold.

Thanks for including it.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

You know the guy is awesome when he manages to earn Wolverine's respect, especially since all they ever do is argue.

(I only notice how little Storm's old costume covers when she's not wearing the cape XD )

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

awesome posts

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know the guy is awesome when he manages to earn Wolverine's respect, especially since all they ever do is argue.

(I only notice how little Storm's old costume covers when she's not wearing the cape XD )

ahh well......the lady is quite the looker is she not?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 k4tzm4n  Moderator

You certainly aren't doing anything to improve my opinion of Scott are you @k4tzm4n?

Although these battles are really awesome. Cyclops is still a douche though.

How so? I mentioned AvX is polarizing, but everything is shows how he's putting his talent to use and even earns Wolverine's praise twice ;)

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

@amazingwebhead said:

ahh well......the lady is quite the looker is she not?

Damn right

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#24  Edited By Teerack

I always loved that Cyclops and Cap vs Namor fight. From the Namor Annual.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Transformers1024

There was a fight in his Icons mini that ranks as one of my all time favorite comic fights. I may try to find the scans later.

pingclang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

These are perfect choices. Definitely some of his best moments.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

"That's what you get for optic blasting me in the face in Schism"

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manclops.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I have been saying in a few Cyclops battle of the week threads that he can do the AOE blast and turn [Nightwing, Robin (any or all), Wolverine, Gambit] into a bare skeleton. According to the Sentinal and Mr. Sinister scans above, no one can argue with me.

killerburrito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's really cool! I just started reading X-men and I had no idea Cyclops was this awesome. I started with the movies and actor is good but he didn't do much in it

Hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hassun

I thought there fight in Schism was pretty awful actually (although maybe Schism being an awful book also has something to do with that).

Cyclops is supposed to be a tactical genius, and he makes a tonne of really boneheaded tactical decisions in that fight. Not to mention the writers trying to make him look bad by making him say the Jean thing. Awful.

Instead I would nominate the one where the Dark Avengers assault Utopia and seemingly beat up the X-Men, but then Cyclops turns it around on them brilliantly.

No Caption Provided

clayscarface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edblank said:

I have been saying in a few Cyclops battle of the week threads that he can do the AOE blast and turn [Nightwing, Robin (any or all), Wolverine, Gambit] into a bare skeleton. According to the Sentinal and Mr. Sinister scans above, no one can argue with me.

The thing with the battle of the week, though, is that it's supposed to be in character. Cyke wouldn't do that to a human he knows next to nothing about. He knew the Sentinel was a machine and that Sinister would bounce back somehow. That's why the massive blast is really only a possibility with Wolverine, since he knows Logan would probably survive. The others? He wouldn't risk it.

Yeison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34  Edited By Yeison
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-60e87a786cc9c
    deactivated-60e87a786cc9c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.