Follow

Cyborg

Character » Cyborg appears in 2943 issues.

Half man, half machine - all hero! After a near fatal incident, Victor Stone was cybernetically enhanced by his father. He now possesses the ability to communicate, manipulate, and interface with nearly all forms of technology. As he is constantly upgrading, he promises to defend the future from any threat. He is also a founding member of the Teen Titans and in some continuities, the Justice League.

Why Cyborg Will Always Be Inferior To John Stewart

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

About Cyborg. I don't wish that character or his fans ill, really. But to be totally honest, there are definitely things involving him that bother me. Ultimately, I feel he's on the League more for the sake of White people than he is for Black people. I think he's there so White people can meet a quota without having to sacrifice any precious White heroes.

I've seen some Black people speak out against this and the exchange usually goes like this:

Black person: I would rather have John Stewart on the Justice League. Because I'm Black and I want an idealized Black role model on the team.

Non-Black person: You have Cyborg.

Black person: He's got no penis, only half a face, and he's a robot. He's far from idealized.

Non-Black person: I think you're the only person who worries about that.

Black person: I'm not. I think it's a legitimate grievance in this setting. I'd rather have John Stewart.

Non-Black: Cyborg is his own hero. At least he's not an alternate version of an already White character.

Black person: Okay, but I'd rather have John Stewart because I think he's way cooler.

Non-Black person: At least people can relate to Cyborg because of x reason(s).

Black person: I relate to John Stewart. He's a role model for me. I don't think I relate to a robot with no penis.

Non-Black person: Well, John Stewart doesn't have a motivation, a supporting cast (other stuff).

Black person: Yes he does. Just as much and even more so than Cyborg.

Non -Black person: But Cyborg... (and on it goes).

---

So, what I'm getting at is I see people who are not Black (and usually probably not any minority) and who are not faced with the issues I mentioned in the above post, trying to impress Cyborg upon people who are Black and implying that they should like him better than John Stewart, even when they don't (and I feel this is what DC has tried to do). And honestly, I don't think a lot of people who fervently support Cyborg do so because they like the character, but rather so he can fulfill the role of 'Black guy' and they can have the White Green Lantern. That is the ultimate tokenism, if you ask me, because then that character isn't even there to appeal to actual Black people, but rather to ultimately serve an agenda for White people. This isn't to say that there aren't genuine Cyborg fans and genuine fans of his who are Black. But, I do think this is what is going on.

I just see so much wrong with Cyborg in the Justice League. It's not even so much about the character in and of himself, but rather what he's being used for, and what his being there brings out in certain fans I've seen. If DC/WB puts John Stewart is put in the Justice League, with or without Cyborg, all of this will go away.

http://community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?1107-Green-Lantern-John-Stewart-Appreciation-Thread/page21

Discuss

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sounds like if someone who only exposure to the League was via the DCAU because John wasn't really important to the League in the comics also liking a character because of their race is just superficial. I am not to sure why they are pushing Cyborg as part of the League so much when he was already apart of the Titans.

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well said--

I don't think this was done on purpose, but this ****ing bothers me:

No Caption Provided

That juxtaposition totally goes against everything the "Black is Beautiful" movement was about.

No Caption Provided

This movement began in an effort to counteract the prevailing idea in American culture that features typical of "Blacks" were less attractive or desirable than those of "Whites". Research indicates that the idea of "blackness" being ugly is highly damaging to the psyche of African Americans, manifesting itself as internalized racism.

Loading Video...

It would be different if everyone else on the team looked deformed or strange, but they don't.

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/vote-for-the-next-character-of-the-month-2-15/1100-151108/

Also:

Loading Video...

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

A little tiring seeing you use your alt to preach the same message over and over again Captain13. And I've been far more impressed by Cyborg's character than I have been by John Stewart's in the comics.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OutlawRenegade

These are points that DC I think should address. I don't think it's done on purpose, but it has weird racial implications.

Tikbaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd very much prefer having John Stewart, Vixen, Icon, and/or Black Lightning on the Justice League roster, as opposed to Cyborg, personally. No disrespect to Cyborg and his fans, but I believe he would be better off with the Titans; his original team.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd said:

This sounds like if someone who only exposure to the League was via the DCAU because John wasn't really important to the League in the comics also liking a character because of their race is just superficial. I am not to sure why they are pushing Cyborg as part of the League so much when he was already apart of the Titans.

I believe it was done to add a bit of youth to the team as well. He's the new, reluctant hero. And by DC's new timeline, he was never a Titan.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Kidd

@scouterv said:

@the_kidd said:

I believe it was done to add a bit of youth to the team as well. He's the new, reluctant hero. And by DC's new timeline, he was never a Titan.

Well if his purpose is to add youth to the team them they kind of failed at that because they don't spent much time developing his personality but I do like the friendship he has with Shazam.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm Black and I like Cyborg way more than John Stewart who isn't even my favorite Green Lantern

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@tikbaz said:

I'd very much prefer having John Stewart, Vixen, Icon, and/or Black Lightning on the Justice League roster, as opposed to Cyborg, personally. No disrespect to Cyborg and his fans, but I believe he would be better off with the Titans; his original team.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

I dont mind Cyborg being on JL and i would be ok if Jonh joined the team when Hal left. But i hate the fact that let put just one woman or one black hero for diversity so that people can´t call the team racist.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reason why John Stewart grew and boomed in popularity is because of the Justice League cartoon. That's my theory anyways.

Children shows really drive a audience and when they grow up they're the new fans.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tikbaz:

I think that being stuck on same and role can be damage to a characther. Cyborg has potencial but without a solo series and major role it is what is damaging Cybor´g on fan´s appeal but at isnt worst as other characthers on same position.

Tikbaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius said:

@tikbaz:

I think that being stuck on same and role can be damage to a characther. Cyborg has potencial but without a solo series and major role it is what is damaging Cybor´g on fan´s appeal but at isnt worst as other characthers on same position.

I hear you on that, but I didn't suggest those other characters to replace Cyborg as the token black, I suggested those other characters because I personally feel they are more interesting than Cyborg. It doesn't just have to be one of them added to the roster either, as I feel Black Lightning and Vixen are both cool enough to have a place on the squad. John is/was made popular because of JL and JLU, and I like him more than Hal. I agree Cyborg seems to be on the team just to have a black guy there, but if that's what DC is going to do, I'd just prefer we put one of the more interesting black heroes on the roster in his place.

Actually, since we're all talking about who should and shouldn't be on the team, why not just post our most preferred JL team? Mine would be, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, A Flash, Martian Manhunter, Black Lightning, Vixen, A Green Lantern, and Aquaman.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. @tikbaz:

Well i see Vixen on JL than Black Lightining for many reasons. I think i am terribel building team because i made massive cast. But i like the Justice League of America from (2006-2011) there you have diverse heroes and diverse roles.

TheGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll say what I said in the other thread

TheGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with those who said they just put Cyborg on the Justice League to fill a quota.Why didn't they use someone who had more history with the JL. Why not use John. Why always use Hal or Kyle? like for one you'd think they'd use Stewart because of the iconic Jl cartoon and again more history,but at the same time brings diversity. Also the fact that in the DC cinematic universe Reynolds bombed as Hal,and it'd be good to introduce John Stewart to take his place,instead of Victor. Like for F^ck sakes he's even getting his own movie...like What is Cyborgs movie gonna be about???

Can he really be a solid standalone character.Will it chronicle his young teenage life before that horrible accident that turned him into Cybrog?

Cyborg has always,and will forever be a Titan. They're taking him away from Teen Titans. Cyborg was like the smartest on the team and their tech man. They could have put John,Vixen or Static in his place. Static even had his own tv series.

He should make his debut in a TT film dammit!

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tikbaz said:

I agree witht his.

@vitalius said:
    1. @tikbaz:

Well i see Vixen on JL than Black Lightining for many reasons. I think i am terribel building team because i made massive cast. But i like the Justice League of America from (2006-2011) there you have diverse heroes and diverse roles.

There was a time when Justice League of America featured heavily diverse heroes under Dwane Mcduffie (R.I.P, sir), but it was a shame there were so many complaints against DC because of this. When Mcduffie was fired and replaced, the sales dropped.

But I don't see the point to make this thread a John vs Cyboring debate. It's a little irritating and I don't care for Cyboring. And considering that John is (surprisingly) winning in polls, why even bother? John is winning. What else more do you want to prove?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysoulz:

I personally dont like John is treated as The Black Green Lantern so does mean we should treat Batman as white tech hero. And this Justice League has a huge problem there is too many powerhouses on team, exept Batman, Captain Cold, Lex Luthor and The Flash, all other members are powerhouses.

ubungqingili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

martian was never was in he never will be black they needed a black member of the founding members thats why he was replace, having martian be fake black was insult to the black community, we needed someone who was actually black not a wannabe shapeshifter who can be any ethnic group.

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

It's 2015 and people are still complaining about Cyborg being a FOUNDING member of the Justice League. Get over it already!!!!!!!!

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People about trying to start some racial controversy out of something.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius said:

@mysoulz:

I personally dont like John is treated as The Black Green Lantern so does mean we should treat Batman as white tech hero. And this Justice League has a huge problem there is too many powerhouses on team, exept Batman, Captain Cold, Lex Luthor and The Flash, all other members are powerhouses.

I understand what you're saying, but regarding power-houses, Geoff Johns seems to isolate multiple members from the team to have better focus on them individually. In the upcoming Darkseid War, it makes sense for him to use most if not all of the members if you know what I mean :) So I doubt he's setting aside any characters there.

Avatar image for ancient_0f_days
    Ancient_0f_Days

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they were going to make Vic a better character, I bet he'd be more fitting in the league, but all he does is shoot white noise at fodder and chauffeur his team around via boom tube...he has not once fought against any major threats or been a crucial part of the team like John was simply because the writers don't think he should be a brighter star than Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman etc.... whether it is because he is a black man will never be revealed because DC would lose many customers ... but by simply making Cyborg a basic and unappealing hero, there will be no reason to keep him around for anything other than a Token....and fans will accept it, cus who wants to read about a black hero that basically does nothing. That is why they discontinued the appearances of Static, Steel, Black Lightning, Mr. Terrific, Jackson Aqualad and Bronze Tiger as well reducing Icon and Micheal Lane Azrael strictly to cameos. What purpose does Batwing serve? He shows off what could be Batman Beyond but Lucas Fox has no solo series, no major fights, barely any appearances at all and hes been around for over a year .... The only reason Victor Stone even exists right now is because the Executives and Writers don't want fans to think that the only black hero around in the DC universe is John Stewart, who also lacks a current series that was most likely canceled as well. Right now, Vic is getting more attention than John, which is a good and a bad thing...because no one wants to use either of them in comics right now .....

Ancient_0f_Days

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am black and Cyborg is just more interesting than John.

@ancient_0f_days: I feel like he is one of the more important characters in the team.

That's nice, what major villains has he taken on, what upgrades or downgrades has he gotten recently, what's his most riveting plot line as of late......... Batman has defeated Joker and Lincoln March recently, lost most of his memory in Convergence and became a god during the Darkseid Wars, right now he's dealing with his current loss of memory in one story and the fate of Gotham as he wields the mobius chair in another story. Superman recently had minor struggle with Deathstroke and Rao, he's had his powers reduced in his solo and has become a god after the Darkseid Wars, he is currently still slowly regaining his powers as he battles at a lower level in one story while bullying Lex Luthor with godly powers in another. Hal Jordan recently gained guantlet of Krona which boosts him as he continues his rouge expeditions. Flash is the god of death and pretty much killed Darkseid. Wonder Woman is making changes as the center point for the Darkseid Wars story. Aquaman is being hunted by Death Flash.....Everyone BUT Cyborg is actually doing something, how is Victor currently more important than anyone else on the team....

Ancient_0f_Days

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ancient_0f_days: he has helped the league take on Martian Manhunter, helped them get rid of Darkseid on their first meeting, had a tie-in on Forever Evil, always plays a part in the technical parts. I could go on. He in building up.

he got his ass kicked and that was a while ago, their FIRST MEETING, Forever Evil happened almost two years ago, that's his only JOB......you really cant go on that's all he has

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mysoulz

If they were going to make Vic a better character, I bet he'd be more fitting in the league, but all he does is shoot white noise at fodder and chauffeur his team around via boom tube...he has not once fought against any major threats or been a crucial part of the team like John was simply because the writers don't think he should be a brighter star than Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman etc.... whether it is because he is a black man will never be revealed because DC would lose many customers ... but by simply making Cyborg a basic and unappealing hero, there will be no reason to keep him around for anything other than a Token....and fans will accept it, cus who wants to read about a black hero that basically does nothing. That is why they discontinued the appearances of Static, Steel, Black Lightning, Mr. Terrific, Jackson Aqualad and Bronze Tiger as well reducing Icon and Micheal Lane Azrael strictly to cameos. What purpose does Batwing serve? He shows off what could be Batman Beyond but Lucas Fox has no solo series, no major fights, barely any appearances at all and hes been around for over a year .... The only reason Victor Stone even exists right now is because the Executives and Writers don't want fans to think that the only black hero around in the DC universe is John Stewart, who also lacks a current series that was most likely canceled as well. Right now, Vic is getting more attention than John, which is a good and a bad thing...because no one wants to use either of them in comics right now .....

Well at least John is going to be making an appearance in the JL during the Darkseid War. Don't know what their plans are for him, but wouldn't get my hopes up. DC executives wasn't sure about releasing his solo series, considering many other titles has been cancelled, which was expected, according to Dan Didio. So that's one of the reasons it took them a while to finally give him a series. Considering that Ivan Reis is leaving Vic's title to work with Geoff Johns and co. the sales may have a higher chance in declining. Having one of the JL founders to have a series cancelled would look really bad, which it seems they had some thoughts about it. Luke Fox's series also got cancelled, due to low sales, which the series already had bad rep after David Zavimbe departed from the title along with the previous creative team. Another problem is that other minority led titles are being written by mediocre writers like Mr. Terrific and Static. Aqualad (Kaldur) was supposed to make an appearance in Teen Titans, but Geoff Johns wanted him to be in the Aquaman title. He's still no where to be seen.

I would admit that it's blatantly obvious that Cyborg is a token character. Even writers uses him in guess appearances just because he has boom tube tech.

@ancient_0f_days: he has helped the league take on Martian Manhunter, helped them get rid of Darkseid on their first meeting, had a tie-in on Forever Evil, always plays a part in the technical parts. I could go on. He in building up.

Cyborg may have been focused on in other story arcs, but his stories have been tragic, which is why other readers out there still don't see a difference on why he should be just as appealing as the other members. And him being the only character maimed and disfigured doesn't look good, which is problematic to others.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Cyborg and John Stewart don't have anything in common other than being black and members of the Justice League.

News flash there are other black members of the Justice League.

John's not even the main Green Lantern. Hal Jordan holds the number one spot. He's not even the clear number 2. I think GL is a cool concept but it's real messy.

I lean more towards, Cyborg, Vixen, Static and Black Lightning. Green Lantern has too much convoluted baggage for me.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still think Cyborg is much more interesting

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he was a better choice for the JL but just because I think he is a better character than Hal Jordan and Cyborg, I don't even know if this text is serious

SuperDoahBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like both characters and see no point in comparing them.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.