Follow

Cyborg

Character » Cyborg appears in 2943 issues.

Half man, half machine - all hero! After a near fatal incident, Victor Stone was cybernetically enhanced by his father. He now possesses the ability to communicate, manipulate, and interface with nearly all forms of technology. As he is constantly upgrading, he promises to defend the future from any threat. He is also a founding member of the Teen Titans and in some continuities, the Justice League.

How to make Cyborg as popular as Power Girl or Green Arrow

• 53 results
    Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Captain13

Cyborg is IMO, one of the best minority characters in comics. He doesn't suffer from the same pitfalls many other minority heroes suffer from.

Great things about Cyborg that make him not just a great minority character, but also a great character:

1. Cyborg doesn't have the word "Black" in his name like so many other Black superheroes. There are many great characters who have a stigma attached to them because their names are clearly based on their race. Black Lightning, Black Goliath, Black Samson, Black Hood II, Black Eagle, Black Racer, Black Spider, Blackwing, and The Black Musketeers. Seriously, do we really need the word "Black" in every Black hero's name. We can't tell that they're Black just by looking at them? Who in the list above, would anyone call their favorite hero? None of them. Even the super-cool Black Lightning is held back by his name. Cyborg doesn't have this problem.

2. Cyborg is not a sidekick or a legacy character. Another problem with many Black heroes is that they will always be in the shadow of a White counterpart because they came second and because they are unoriginal. These characters boost diversity, but don't be mistaken, that's all they are really for--to give white heroes a cool, hip Black friend. These characters won't ever be THE main character of their own movie or cartoon franchise. The Falcon is Captain America's sidekick. John Stewart is slipping back into becoming Hal Jordan's sidekick. War Machine is Iron Man's sidekick. Goliath was Hank Pym's sidekick. Lothar is Mandrake the Magician's sidekick. Cyborg is not--and never has been--anyone's sidekick. 
    The problem with minority legacy character's like The Atom, James Rhodes, and Blue Beetle is that the fans of their predecessors will always push for the return of the first hero. Cyborg is the first of his kind, and he isn't trying to be anyone but himself.

3. Cyborg has history and name recognition. A huge problem with many minority heroes is that they are not easily marketable because people tend to only spend money on heroes with names they already recognize. No one read The Web or The Shield because they didn't have name recognition. People didn't want to spend $3.99 on heroes they know nothing about. Everyone knows who Cyborg is. He's a classic Teen Titan, and he was featured on the Teen Titans cartoon. While his miniseries wasn't a runaway success (for reasons I will address below), he is definitely a marketable property.

4. Cyborg has no criminal history. Iron Man is a m/billionaire. Thor is a doctor. Daredevil is a lawyer. Luke Cage was a jailbird. The Falcon was a street-hustler who had to be brainwashed to become a superhero. What kind of message does this send to our youth--black or otherwise? Cyborg has always been smart, athletic, and heroic. And he's never been to jail.

5. Cyborg doesn't have electric powers. There are already enough Black heroes with lightning powers, thank you. Storm, Black Lightning, Static, and Volt come to mind. Cyborg doesn't have the same old powers as everyone else.

Now, with all these things going for him, why is Cyborg not as popular or beloved as Green Arrow, Black Canary, Power Girl, Alan Scott, or Dick Grayson? Why don't you expect to see Cyborg on an Alex Ross cover?

What can be done to make Cyborg more popular and well-liked:

1. Give Cyborg a cooler costume and make his face look completely human. Probably the biggest reason Cyborg isn't more popular is his costume. Even his fans complain that it's too garrish and outdated. Why does he have a metallic wifebeater? Why are parts of his thighs and biceps exposed?
    Another problem with his costume is that it's confusing. Can he take it off or is he just naked all the time? If Cyborg is ever to gain real success, he needs to get a cooler costume. One that looks like it can be taken off. One that doesn't look so 70s. One that doesn't expose awkward areas of his body. 
    And here's the thing that may be holding him back the most--the half face. Yes, Cyborg is supposed to be the Teen Titan version of The Thing, but there are two problems with that. One, no one calls The Thing their favorite character. Yes, he's likable, and people may call him ONE of their favorites, but at the end of the day, he looks like a freak. And Two, Cyborg can have the recurring Thing-self-loathing storyline without looking like a freak. He's a cyborg now, which means he had to give up his life's passion--Sports. On top of that, even with a completely human face, he not completely human. He's a cyborg.
    Cyborg's image issue draws attention to the fact that he's a Marvel character is the DC universe. People like DC heroes because they are ideal. We want to be them. We want to fly like Superman and be as intelligent as Batman. But who honestly wants to be Cyborg? No one. He looks weird.

2. Upgrade Cyborg's powers. Yes,there a plenty of minority heroes in DC with medium level powers and no powers such as Mr. Terrific and Vixen, but there a few Black heroes who seem like they could ever keep up with Green Lantern or Wonder Woman. Yes, there's Black Lightning and Icon, but the former will always be held back by his name and the latter will always be held back by his origin, personality, and costume.
    Instead of making Cyborg an Iron Man level hero, make him a Magneto or Green Lantern level hero.

While the clip above is about The Flash, it shows us that tech heroes can be immensely powerful also.
    What should Cyborg power's be? Here's a list:  *EDIT* NOTES ADDED
    1. Give him at least Aquaman level (100 ton) strength, but preferably make him as strong as Wonder Woman.
    2. Replace his Sonic Cannon with an energy based cannon. In video games and cartoons it already looks like energy anyway. 
    Or give him a cannon with multiple effects (sonic, energy, etc.)
    3. Give him technopathy--the control of machines. Cyborg should be like a good version of Sky-net. (Forget this. Oracle still needs a job)
    4. Boost his invulnerability to Aquaman levels, and allow him to regerate by using the metal around him.
    5. Allow him to assimilate the machinary around him like War Machine used to be able to do.
    6. And maybe give him some "liquid metal" features like the T-1000 or T-X. (Forget this. It's a little much.)

If you're wondering how he should get his upgrade, just make him get sucked into his father's multi-dimensional portal (you know, the one in his origin) and have him come out mysteriously better than before. Bam!--we already have a new Cyborg storyline. It's not hard.

3. Give him a girlfriend. Let's see another side to his personality. We already know he's a good friend, leader, and mentor, but we haven't seen him with a woman yet. No Bumblebee doesn't count because they haven't gone out in the comics. After he's gotten a full-face, let him date Sara Simms or Starfire.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

@Captain13:
    Just going to add my critiques and a few things here.. 

1. Give him at least Aquaman level (100 ton) strength, but preferably make him as strong as Wonder Woman. 
     I think his strength level is fine where it is. If he becomes any stronger he'll be in danger of just being another brick.

2. Replace his Sonic Cannon with an energy based cannon. In video games and cartoons it already looks like energy anyway. 
     Maybe a multi-purpose cannon with a variety of blasts?

3. Give him technopathy--the control of machines. Cyborg should be like a good version of Sky-net. 
     I don't like this idea. 

4. Boost his invulnerability to Aquaman levels, and allow him to regerate by using the metal around him. 
     This alls under my early critique and I think it'd lead to him being just another brick.

5. Allow him to assimilate the machinary around him like War Machine used to be able to do. 
     I like this idea. Give him multiple ports like an Ipod. LOL

6. And maybe give him some "liquid metal" features like the T-1000 or T-X.  
    Not really a fan of this. 

All in all I don't think he needs that much fine tuning or modifying, just a monthly comic to showcase him. Maybe something where he's working alongside other DC geniuses and fighting crime at the same time. I'd love to see him work with John Henry Irons.
    Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Captain13
    @Jake Fury:  Thanks for reading my long post. =)

We don't completely agree, but I see where you're coming from.
    While I guess he shouldn't get ALL of the ugrades I listed, I still think he should get about 3 of them. Maybe 1, 2, and 4 or 1, 2, and 5? 
    I know that not everyone will be a fan of the upgrades, but I think the change or changes could really earn him some new fans--hopefully around 
    as many as the number of Power Girl or Green Arrow fans.

I like your idea of showcasing him along with other DC geniuses in a monthly comic. The more he's used, the more likely it is that he gets some development.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

@Captain13:
    My pleasure. 

I think the lack of exposure is one of his only problems. I think most people see him and think "Oh look, it's that guy from the Teen Titans!" 

He just needs a chance to shine away from his former Titan teammates.
    Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Captain13
    @Jake Fury: I agree. His lack of exposure and his image are probably the main things keeping him from getting more fans.

I was so happy that he was used in the DC Universe Online cinematic trailer.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By DEGRAAF

ur really pushing this. If your currently reading the stuff with him in it, he is in the process of rebuilding Red Tornado, making him indestructable. I figure if he can do that with RT than he could do that for himself as well. Ive alsways liked him but i agree he always seems like he is being held back. With his knowledge of technology and biology, he should surpass anything John Henry Irons (Steel) could create for him self, they both seem to be very smart, and with cyborg he should be able to upgrade his processing and memory to beyond human capabilities, making him much smarter than most. I dont have a problem with having the half face thing going one but i agree, he needs something. He could use the spray on synthetic skin like they've shown in movies, but i think the reason he doesnt cover it it because he doesnt want to hide who he truely is. I htink he needs to get past the whole battery problems i've always seen him have (ive mostly only seen him in the Teen Titans show) I think he should be on par with Cyborg Superman. He could even create a synthetic version of Kryptonite that doesnt harm Kryptonians so he could have an unlimited power source. I always thought that his cannon was an energy based one. Now that he is older, he should upgrade to more serious add-ons. I think the liquid metal would be cool but probably a little to much. I agree he should beable to use the metal and technology around him to upgrade himself.
    Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Captain13
    @DEGRAAF:  Thanks for reading my post. 

I still think he should get a whole face, but I agree with the whole rest of your post. 
    Maybe he could lose his powers temporarily again, but turn himself back into a Cyborg that looks human like on Smallville?
    His battery problem is huge, and I like your idea for a new source of energy. Maybe he could shield the Kryptonite with lead?

I agree with you that now that he's older, he should get some upgrades. He should push himself to reach his full potential.
    MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MrMiracle77

Making Cyborg more popular and well-liked seems to be the name of the game.  Lets take a look at some of these ideas:

Give Cyborg a cooler costume and make his face look completely human or 
    Upgrade Cyborg's powers 

Cyborg has actually had a wide range of appearances over the years, including a number that afforded him faces ranging from completely human to completely robotic.  The golden version of Cyborg and the fully robotic version displayed a number of the suggested heightened powers from the originating post.  Ultimately, readers seem to enjoy the classic Cyborg.  One of the more interesting things about the character is that anyone could have been potentially granted the cybernetics that his parents developed for Star Labs.   Moreover, the transformation that Cyborg underwent has made him something that is both more and less than human.  It makes him more relatable to everyone.

And I happen to think the half-face is awesome.  Its a metaphor for his entire existence.  One of my favorite exchanges in the Teen Titans Tv series was as follows:
    Starfire: Do you know what it means to be seen as different?
    Cyborg: Of course I do.  I'm half robot.

If you want more stories with variations of Cyborg's looks and powers, why not pursue the ones that already exist?

Give him a girlfriend:
     Something Wolfman said regarding Sarah Simms:
    " At first I thought of it. And then decided there was nothing wrong with a good healthy friendship that is not based on a sexual background between them. I received a letter that sort of helped me change my mind, from a black leader who felt that we had seen a lot of interracial relationships, but we haven't seen that many good, solid black-black relationships to show that a black hero doesn't always go together with a white heroine and vice-versa. And that sort of got me thinking. That came very early in the relationship, that it made a lot more sense in terms of their needs to be very good friends. He has no girl friend who he is totally in love with in a sexual way at this time. He's just very good friends with her, And that in itself is a slightly different relationship."

Cyborg started dating a woman in Titans, just before Blackest Night started.

Allow me to present the position that Cyborg is already cool.  Sure, his fans (like me) aren't the rampant post-slathering supporters that Storm's fans are.  I'm of the firm belief that good characters don't necessarily need movies and tv shows, and that I enjoy reading them just as they are in the comics.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By danhimself

Green Arrow and Power Girl?   what completely random characters that you chose

Avatar image for metatron_da_don
    Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don
    @MrMiracle77 said:
    " One of my favorite exchanges in the Teen Titans Tv series was as follows:
    Cyborg: Of course I do.  I'm half robot."
    Lol. I remember that. I thought they were going to go into a deep race relations monologue on a kids show.
    moshimoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By moshimoshi

make him a chesty white girl

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Captain13
    @MrMiracle77:  The examples you gave of Cyborg's other costumes strayed too far from his original design, which is why I think they didn't stick. Superman's current costume isn't his first, but it worked because it's similar to the first.
    I think if his new costume used the white and metallic look Cyborg is known for, but had more coverage, no one would complain.

I see how the half-face is a metaphor, but I find it wholly unnecessary. His name is Cyborg for chissake.  Yes, Cyborg is supposed to be the Teen Titan version of The Thing, but there are two problems with that. One, no one calls The Thing their favorite character. Yes, he's likable, and people may call him ONE of their favorites, but at the end of the day, he looks like a freak. And Two, Cyborg can have the recurring Thing-self-loathing storyline without looking like a freak. He's a cyborg now, which means he had to give up his life's passion--Sports. On top of that, even with a completely human face, he not completely human. He's a cyborg. All the drama is still there. If you must have robotic parts showing, give him a visibly robotic arm or something. 
    Little kids want to be the cool looking heroes like Spider-man or Green Lantern, not current Cyborg, The Thing, or Etrigan.

Since Cy's identity is public and everyone knows he's half robot, this exchange would still make sense:

Cyborg: Of course I do.  I'm half robot.  

:

" Give him a girlfriend:  Something Wolfman said regarding Sarah Simms: " At first I thought of it. And then decided there was nothing wrong with a good healthy friendship that is not based on a sexual background between them. I received a letter that sort of helped me change my mind, from a black leader who felt that we had seen a lot of interracial relationships, but we haven't seen that many good, solid black-black relationships to show that a black hero doesn't always go together with a white heroine and vice-versa. And that sort of got me thinking. That came very early in the relationship, that it made a lot more sense in terms of their needs to be very good friends. He has no girl friend who he is totally in love with in a sexual way at this time. He's just very good friends with her, And that in itself is a slightly different relationship."  Cyborg started dating a woman in Titans, just before Blackest Night started.  Allow me to present the position that Cyborg is already cool.  Sure, his fans (like me) aren't the rampant post-slathering supporters that Storm's fans are.  I'm of the firm belief that good characters don't necessarily need movies and tv shows, and that I enjoy reading them just as they are in the comics. "

The whole Sara Simms thing is a dumb reason to keep them apart IMO. Their races shouldn't be factored into their relationship at all. I don't care what some Black leader said.
    I'm happy Cy is dating someone new. I haven't read that story yet.
    I agree that Cy is already cool personailty-wise and concept wise, but he's being held back from reaching his full cool potential. The execution of his character just needs a little bit more work IMO.
    I want people to think Cyborg is so cool, they call him their #1 favorite superhero. Yes, he has fans, but I don't think any of them like him enough to call him the #1 coolest hero or their favorite hero.
    And the more well known a hero is the better. It's not a big deal if they're unknown, but I want to see Cyborg succeed in various mediums, because I truly like his personality and his concept.

I understand your points, but I don't think it could hurt to at least try something new for a while and see how comics readers feel about it. If they feel the way you do, he can go back. If they like the changes, his character will have evolved.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Captain13:
    for him now that he's in his 20's probably, he should be looking at what powers he would like to obtain (presumably by looking at what the team needs most of of a teammate). With the way he is right now he could easily observe, research, breakdown and create any superpower he might want to replicate and add to his arsenal. He could be programmed like people are in the Matrix. 

Potential of robotic engineering: 
    Steel 
    Cyborg Superman 
    Metallo 
    Amazo 
    Red Tornado 
    Mr. Fantastic (his ability with his T-spheres) 
    Iron Man 
    War Machine 
    Jocasta 
    Ultron
    MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrMiracle77
    @Metatron_Da_Don said:
    Lol. I remember that. I thought they were going to go into a deep race relations monologue on a kids show. "

There was a time in the 1980s when I think they would have done just that.  One of the things that I think Glen Murakami picked up while working in Warner Animation alongside Bruce Timm is that sometimes a good moral doesn't have to be laid out for all to see with a sledgehammer. 
    Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Captain13
    @danhimself said:
    " Green Arrow and Power Girl?   what completely random characters that you chose "
    I chose them because they're popular but not as popular as Superman, Batman, Flash, etc. I wanted the title to be within the bounds of reason. 

@Metatron_Da_Don said:
    " @MrMiracle77 said:
    " One of my favorite exchanges in the Teen Titans Tv series was as follows:
    Cyborg: Of course I do.  I'm half robot."
    Lol. I remember that. I thought they were going to go into a deep race relations monologue on a kids show. "
    Me too. LOL.
    The voice actor paused for 1.5 seconds before saying "half robot".
    Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Captain13
    @DEGRAAF said:

" @Captain13: for him now that he's in his 20's probably, he should be looking at what powers he would like to obtain (presumably by looking at what the team needs most of of a teammate). With the way he is right now he could easily observe, research, breakdown and create any superpower he might want to replicate and add to his arsenal. He could be programmed like people are in the Matrix. 

That's cool! Have you ever watched Zoids? There's this robot called Liger Zero that could change parts to prepare for any situation. He had speed armor, close-range armor, and long range armor. If Cy could  prep for fights by changing his parts or downloading new techniques, that would be pretty rad.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Captain13:
    yea i used to watch that too. That would be cool. You would think that Cyborg would of had something like that from the moment he started upgrading.
    Avatar image for metatron_da_don
    Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don

this idea reminds me of the Centurions reruns from the 90s, when they got their upgrades

Edit:   this was the only short clip i could find, I think this is from a followup series 

PS lol 1 guy turns into a sled 

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Captain13
    @DEGRAAF said:

" @Captain13: yea i used to watch that too. That would be cool. You would think that Cyborg would of had something like that from the moment he started upgrading. "

Yeah, you said it. I guess all we can do now is hope that writers realize how much more potential Vic has. @Metatron_Da_Don said:

" this idea reminds me of the Centurions reruns from the 90s, when they got their upgrades

Edit:   this was the only short clip i could find, I think this is from a followup series 

PS lol 1 guy turns into a sled 

"
    LMAO! 

I've never seen this show, but it looks pretty... extreme?
    Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Captain13

BUMP

Vermillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Vermillo

Hmm...I argee with all your statement and would like to see Cy get some more face time in DC comic. But I believe that another reason why he is over shadow so much is because he too simple and most fan would consider him as a relic instead of a member. Not a bad thing but in DC universe you can't be too simple and be popular. I hate to point out but Steel, his neice, Mr. Terrific,  and the new Toy Man, Cyborg superman, red torendo are used more because they relate thier experts in cybernetics or because of thier personilities. While Cy been around a long time, he never really expand from just being that a cyborg. When writers try then never find the right fan base and he get recycle. I like the idea of some of the upgrades thought and just wanted to throw my 2 cents into the mix. 

Ideas: 
    Update his appearance to that or higher to his cartoon counterpart. Or here something crazy upgrade is model like Wildcat Spartan or Iron man type.  
    Let him specialize in on area of cybernetics where nobody can touch.- like in the cartoon he was the only expert in his techs and nobody could copy it right. 
    Make the big dogs of DC go to him more often with cybernetic problems too. Or upgrade him to nano technology instead of cybernetic 

Upgrade: 
    - A New look and more personality. 
    - A more humaniod look -like a spartan idea or something.  
    - I like the technopathy and metal assumilating idea because then he would have a area of specialities. 

Well that just my 2 cents though. I like Cyborg and just would like him to get the respect he deserve.    

Avatar image for kitsuneconundrum
    kitsuneconundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kitsuneconundrum

green arrow is popular? 

that aside, i think they should update his character and explore some themes like in dues ex (the game) where the people are on the verge of switching from mechanical to nano implants. that should bring him back towards a more human nature while still exploring the 'is he really a human' aspect of him.

webling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By webling

As for the costume I like the costume from the tv show. It is a lot more fun to look at than a plain white jumpsuit.

No Caption Provided

webling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By webling

Also it looks like he's going to have a major role in Flashpoint.

No Caption Provided

VIZION2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By VIZION2011

How about lets try making him "cool" ? I think he one of the most lame characters ever created just to add a bit of color.
    Rspence155

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rspence155

First off, great article (as an African American man) I think you made some very good points and great observations.
    Secondly, I just wanted to make some comments on your ideas for improving cyborg as a character.

I definitely agree, or at least in the ball park of 100 tons. I think sometimes people are afraid of making a hero too strong but honestly I think it is just a good opportunity for a hero to take on bigger, badder, and more powerful foes. If a hero has trouble taking down C list villains no one is ever going to be interested in seeing them get their own series.
    Or give him a cannon with multiple effects (sonic, energy, etc.)
    Agreed, but I say go big or go home! I think its time he moved on from the old sonic cannon and moved up to shape changing weapons. In the days after Batman's OMACs, Jaime's new usage of the Scarab, and when Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman have a meeting room in a pocket dimension it's not like he can't find the tech for it. And besides, honestly who's going to say "no" to seeing Cy sport some BFGs?? 

No Caption Provided

3. Give him technopathy--the control of machines. Cyborg should be like a good version of Sky-net. (Forget this. Oracle still needs a job)
    Definitely agree, I feel technopathy is such a cool and underused power. I also feel like it plays in well with the concept of his inner struggle ("am I more man or machine") because if you could control all of your own tech (PC, laptop, MAC, ipod, TV, cellphone, etc.) with your thoughts or better yet kiss all of it goodbye, wouldn't you wonder the same thing?
    I agree with boosting his invulnerablity also. Do I want him to go toe-to-toe with Supes? Of course not but I still feel like it would play into the inner struggle that I discussed before that has become an integral part of his character. And I think it's a cool idea to be able to melt down and integrate metal in his surroundings to repair himself, but the problem with that is since his cybernetic parts are supposed to be made of  molybdenum steel (at least his bones are) I can see there being issues of compromising the integrity of his cybernetic parts by combining them with weaker metals.
    5. Allow him to assimilate the machinery around him like War Machine used to be able to do.
    Going along with what I said with #4 still a cool idea, but maybe instead of assimilating the machinery, being able to scan it and replicate its capabilities to some degree (but with reasonable limitation, not as far being able to scan a power ring and then go join the corps)
    6. And maybe give him some "liquid metal" features like the T-1000 or T-X. (Forget this. It's a little much.)

I think its actually a great idea. I feel like it fits right in with the shape changing weapons and replicating technology. And if you aren't familiar with the character the engineer (Angela Spica) from The Authority, it makes for a really cool character.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

And as far as the full face goes, at first I was a little hesitant to agree because I feel like that plays into the half-man-half-machine concept, but I do agree with the fact that people want to read comic book heroes that they want to be, and frankly no one wants half of a head. So I think in order to boost his popularity I think it would be a smart move, or at least make the metallic part seem more human in color, like shiny skin almost.

Once again, great thread :)

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By Kallarkz
    It'd be pretty hard.You can tell that he is very low on the popularity list as all his toys are always in stock at the Target by my house.
    Well...the 1 toy he has actually from the DC figure series. They always have like 15 of him and 0 of the others
    Sir Duke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28  Edited By Sir Duke

Putting him on the Justice League with Aquaman, Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, and the Flash sure seems like a step in the right direction.  Sad to see Martian Manhunter get shunted off, but I think the addition Cyborg makes for a better Big Seven.

gridlock464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By gridlock464

I agree with Sir Duke, his addition to the soon to be rebooted JLA should do a lot for him. Not just the higher profile gig but with Johns writing it... it should do wonders. I mean he took Booster Gold and made him into a significant character in the DCU

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Mega_spidey01

cyborg 's a cool character i'll check out justice league tpb just to see how his character will develop

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By the_tree

LOL 
    This thread has become incredibly ironic. OP must have given Geoff Johns some ideas.

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Superdork

bump

No Caption Provided
    Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By Rumble Man

Make him less human like MM

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Superdork

@Rumble Man said:

Make him less human like MM

Robocop!

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Rumble Man

@Superdork: I was thinking more on the lines of

If you want to replace someone you have to be better (cyborg still weaker than MM)

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#36  Edited By Black_Claw

I agree with everything the OP said about Cyborg, except the part about making Cyborg's face look completely human. If you do that you might as well change his name to "Android".

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SUNMAN

wow this thread is ironic. Also we aren't setting the bar that high are we? I think overtime Cyborg has the potential to really rise in popularity.

He's got a distinct origin, Wolfman and Perez did a great job flushing out and establishing his character. He's a very modern hero for the digital age, being a technopath not to mention he's like a combination of Megaman an dMaster Chief in terms of combat.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By fodigg

I don't think you need to change Cyborg at all, just give him a chance. Give him his own title with seriously talented creators or a Green Arrow-style TV show and the fans will come. People still talk about his appearance in the latter seasons of Smallville for Pete's sake.

Yes, he could stand to be less mechanized, but I do think it's important to know at a glance what he's been through. But his visible mechanics should be cool despite their tragic necessity, like Cyclops' glasses.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SUNMAN

@fodigg said:

I don't think you need to change Cyborg at all, just give him a chance. Give him his own title with seriously talented creators or a Green Arrow-style TV show and the fans will come. People still talk about his appearance in the latter seasons of Smallville for Pete's sake.

Yes, he could stand to be less mechanized, but I do think it's important to know at a glance what he's been through. But his visible mechanics should be cool despite their tragic necessity, like Cyclops' glasses.

well seeing as this thread was posted over 2 years ago, Cyborg has actually changed quite a bit in that time frame

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AtPhantom

Well DC pretty much ruined Green Arrow and Power Girl already so... Mission accomplished?

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#41  Edited By Black_Claw

Well at least Arrow's got his tv show right?

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By fodigg

@SUNMAN said:

@fodigg said:

well seeing as this thread was posted over 2 years ago, Cyborg has actually changed quite a bit in that time frame

Well, the discussion is still ongoing considering how often new Cyborg threads are made. It's actually good to see someone use the forum search button and necro something other than making another one.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By OutlawRenegade

bump

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strength should be a step bellow Wonder Woman, durability without shields should be Aquaman level, with shields it should be Green Lantern Level. He should have decent fighting speed, but not as fast as a speed blitzing superman, or Wonder Woman defending attacks. His blaster should be on par with Superman's heatvision, except for crazy feats. He should also learn to use his teleporters like Nightcrawler.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AtPhantom

@drgnx said:

Strength should be a step bellow Wonder Woman, durability without shields should be Aquaman level, with shields it should be Green Lantern Level. He should have decent fighting speed, but not as fast as a speed blitzing superman, or Wonder Woman defending attacks. His blaster should be on par with Superman's heatvision, except for crazy feats. He should also learn to use his teleporters like Nightcrawler.

How would in any way add to his popularity?

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#46  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Shove him down the readers' throats.

Oh wait, that hasn't worked.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Updated power set.

1. Strength should be a step bellow Wonder Woman
    2. Durability without shields should be Aquaman level, with shields it should be Green Lantern Level
    3. He should have decent fighting speed, but not as fast as a speed blitzing superman, or Wonder Woman defending attacks
    4. His blaster should be on par with Superman's heatvision, except for crazy feats
    5. He should also learn to use his teleporters like Nightcrawler
    6. Give him limited timeshift like Cable had in the old x-men fighting games

@AtPhantom said:

@drgnx said:

The OP believes that enhancing his power-set would help increase his popularity; I'd assume it because it would make more useful in battle and therefore more acceptable to readers. I'm giving this the benefit of the doubt; using this premise, I'd think the best way to do so would be to enhance some stats, but have the focus be on him utilizing his unique abilities rather than ripping off trademark stats of his other team members.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SUNMAN

@drgnx said:

Updated power set.

1. Strength should be a step bellow Wonder Woman
    2. Durability without shields should be Aquaman level, with shields it should be Green Lantern Level
    3. He should have decent fighting speed, but not as fast as a speed blitzing superman, or Wonder Woman defending attacks
    4. His blaster should be on par with Superman's heatvision, except for crazy feats
    5. He should also learn to use his teleporters like Nightcrawler
    6. Give him limited timeshift like Cable had in the old x-men fighting games

@AtPhantom said:

@drgnx said:

The OP believes that enhancing his power-set would help increase his popularity; I'd assume it because it would make more useful in battle and therefore more acceptable to readers. I'm giving this the benefit of the doubt; using this premise, I'd think the best way to do so would be to enhance some stats, but have the focus be on him utilizing his unique abilities rather than ripping off trademark stats of his other team members.

Well he's got Promethian armor and going by the proximity mind he took in Justice League #16and the electric shock he took in Superboy Annual #1 I think his durability is pretty good. We know he's bullet proof and unlike Aquaman machine gun fire won't draw blood on his robotic parts.

From the Perez days Cyborg always had a little superhuman speed and agility. He was an athlete after all and his enhancements should only enhance his athleticism.

-I'm not sure how strong his blasters are I actually made a thread about it a while ago. His sonic Cannon seems really strong though, might be his most powerful weapon

-You want to give him timeshift on top of the boom tubes?

Personally I think his powers are great where they are only thing I'd probably throw in is a grappling hook or extendable hand or something as he has had in the past.

I think as long as he is written competently Cyborgs popularity will rise with more exposure. Its important to remember he is human. Thats one of the most important aspects. I worry Geoff Johns is getting a little too carried away with all the Cybernetics. Hopefully other writers will reinforce that he is human.

Lastly I think DC needs to give us some more info on what he does outside of the Justice League or if he is simply on Watch Tower duty the majority of the time.

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By JohnnyGat

Well they've addressed one of my complaints with Cyvborg in the New 52 with the recent issues of JL. I like Jim Lee's art don't get me wrong but I always thought he drew Cyborg a tad bit too bulky. With Reis and Prado's work he looks better at least from my perspective. Also the fact that we finally got a bit more exposure to Cyborg in this New 52. I guess that's what I want to see from Cyborg now. Simple exposure because so far I like how Johns is handling him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SUNMAN said:

-You want to give him timeshift on top of the boom tubes?

Timeshift allowed Cable to attack an opponent from different angles 2-3 places at a time, kind of like Naruto using shadow clones, except they disappear after each attack. It was actually Cable teleporting short distances in time, overlapping with different (temporal) versions of himself, the 2 abilities worked hand in hand. It could be over the top, I just loved the concept, throw in holographic copies, and you could mess an opponent up big time.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.