Follow

Cyborg

Character » Cyborg appears in 2940 issues.

Half man, half machine - all hero! After a near fatal incident, Victor Stone was cybernetically enhanced by his father. He now possesses the ability to communicate, manipulate, and interface with nearly all forms of technology. As he is constantly upgrading, he promises to defend the future from any threat. He is also a founding member of the Teen Titans and in some continuities, the Justice League.

Cyborg and Nanotechnology

Sinestro2828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

While I consider the Justice League War film from a while back to be one of the worst DC animated movies yet, if not THE worst >_<, it did introduce the idea of Cyborg's creation being tied to nanotechnology....Which is both interesting yet at the same time troublesome, to me at least.

Now yes, to be fair, the idea of Cy's mech body being born from experimental nanotech would explain why Stone style cyborgs are not more common in the DC universe, i.e. he's one of a kind and the procedure done to save his life was VERY risky, & it also explains how he could survive the extensive surgery required to save his life if it involved a more exotic treatment than merely attaching mechanical parts to his ravaged body. However, nanotech is often used as an excuse for crazy stuff like self-repair/regeneration, assimilating other technology borg style, & so on and so forth...basically, stuff that would make Cyborg a bit too OP, especially against other tech users. Plus, part of Vic's struggle & part of what makes him interesting is how he has to repair & maintain his own tech to keep on living & better his odds against the baddies, as he once said in the TV series, "its a natural part of being unnatural."

So I'm of the opinion that nanotech works fine as the means by which Cy survived his accident and became Cyborg, but that the nanites used to create his biomechnical body should go inert afterwards to prevent him from being too OP, or at least they have limits to what they can do, like internal repairwork for minor damage like a Beast Wars transformer character, as opposed to the more radical stuff like absorbing lab equipment or other people's weapons etc. Granted, his old origin with no nanotech involvement still works too >;3

What do you guys think?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.