Follow

Cullen Bunn

Person » Cullen Bunn is credited in 1413 issues.

Writer most known for his creator-owned series The Sixth Gun.

Interview: Cullen Bunn, Trevor McCarthy, & Brad Walker Talk GREEN LANTERN: LOST ARMY, AQUAMAN & SINESTRO

• 53 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Cullen Bunn is a busy busy guy. There’s some changes coming up in GREEN LANTERN: LOST ARMY. Bunn is taking over AQUAMAN with Trevor McCarthy and is still on SINESTRO with Brad Walker joining him. We sat down with the three gentlemen to find out what’s happening in all these books.

COMIC VINE: Let’s start with GREEN LANTERN: LOST ARMY. What is it?

GREEN LANTERN: LOST ARMY
    GREEN LANTERN: LOST ARMY

CULLEN BUNN: One of the things we’re going to find out, coming up in June, is the Green Lanterns are going to be taken off the table in the DC Universe. They’re going to vanish. I can’t tell you where they’re going but basically LOST ARMY is going to be the story of what happened to the Green Lanterns. The Green Lantern Corps is continuing on in GREEN LANTERN: LOST ARMY.

CV: So Hal Jordan…

CB: Essentially Hal is going to be the sole Green Lantern in the DC Universe. All the other Green Lanterns are being put into a universe they have no connection to. They are completely unfamiliar with it. They will not know where they are. They literally start the first issue lost.

CV: Even Simon Baz?

CB: Well, because it’s all the Green Lanterns, I have to focus on a core group. Simon is not in the core group that I am focusing on.

CV: Can I ask what characters we can expect?

CB: I can tell you who my core group is going to be. Some of it is a little bit of a spoiler though…I can tell you some of them. I can tell you, you’ll see John Stewart, Kilowog, Arisia, …you’re going to see a couple of new Lanterns that you haven’t really seen much of and you might see some others that’ll be surprising to you to see as part of the Green Lanterns.

CV: I guess this won’t tie into SINESTRO then?

CB: Well, there is one tie in. With all the Green Lanterns gone from the DC Universe, Sinestro is pretty much going to decide, this is my moment. This is my moment to take my rightful place.

CV: Let’s shift to AQUAMAN. You generally write more villain-type characters. Is Aquaman going to turn into a villain? (joking)

AQUAMAN #41
    AQUAMAN #41

[laughs]

CB: No. Aquaman is not going to become a villain. He’s still going to be the Aquaman I think people know and love. He’s going to be going through some changes and facing some new challenges that may shake his world up a little bit.

CV: What do you do to get into the AQUAMAN mindset?

TREVOR MCCARTHY: To get into it, I went and got my back issues and started reading.

CV: Did you get an aquarium?

TM: Yeah, I went and got myself an aquarium. Did a little deep sea diving.

[laughs]

I just did some back issue reading and sketching around, really. That’s how I start getting into a character. We haven’t really settled into anything just yet but there’s definitely going to be a visual change with Aquaman. Probably a little bit with the costume and with some of the other characters, you’ll see some visual shake ups. Aquaman himself…you’ll see. I guess we haven’t really said anything yet.

CB: This is going to be different. Aquaman is in a tough spot. He’s sworn to protect Atlantis but when we jump on, we’re going to find out the people he’s been sworn to protect have turned on him.

CV: What about other character like Mera and The Others?

CB: Mera will definitely play a big role in this.

TM: Yeah, definitely.

CB: The Others, maybe. We just really wanted to focus it down on Aquaman a little bit. I don’t know if we’re going to see the Others jumping in a lot. We are going to see a lot of guest stars running in to team up with Aquaman right away. We want it to be his story for a bit.

CV: What about Topo?

CB: Topo…? I don’t know.

CV: Topo has changed in the New 52.

CB: I think people that know who I am as a writer will think that’s the kind of thing I’m going to gravitate to. You’re going to see a lot of Topo-esque elements, I guess.

CV: Or maybe Topo turns evil and then you can write him.

CB: That’s the thing, I do write a lot of anti-heroes and villains but I write a lot of stuff. I’m not stuck on the anti-heroes and villains. Although Topo being evil might be fun.

TM: The tonality of the book might be different now. I think that’s one of the things we were talking about. Just slightly.

CB: There’s a vibe we want to go for in the book. More of a science/fantasy kind of vibe. I think the elements of Aquaman that I love, and thankfully when Trevor and I talked we were both on the same page, is a little bit more of an epic feel to Aquaman.

SINESTRO #12
    SINESTRO #12

CV: Let’s jump back to SINESTRO. Brad, what are you bringing to the book?

BRAD WALKER: I’m going to try not to screw it up.

[laughs]

It was in a pretty good place with Dale [Eaglesham] starting it and Rags [Morales] did some that I thought was beautiful. I came over and was really into the scripts. I like, considering there’s a pretty large cast, there’s an opportunity there with following Sinestro and his emotion through the book. I enjoy that kind of acting with the character and trying to help bring through what Cullen is writing with how Sinestro is reacting to the journey that he’s on to find the lost Corps Guardians. He wears his emotions on his sleeve very much. For a guy who says he has controlled his own fear, he’s very emotional. That’s a fun thing to play out.

CV: What about drawing the constructs? Are they laid out in the script, what’s to be drawn and so forth?

CB: I do usually say in my scripts, “This character is making this construct.” Especially in those double page spreads, I’ll have bulleted lists of this is what the character is doing and so forth.

TM: That’s really helpful for me. That’s probably the worst part for me, even as a kid liking Green Lantern, I remember reading Green Lantern books and thinking, “How do they…it’s got to be the worst thing to come up with something interesting for the rings to make that doesn’t look corny.” I’m never really 100% satisfied with my constructs but there’s another page the next day to make a better one. Every time Cullen suggests one, I greatly appreciate it.

CB: And really, they’re suggestions. I’ve said before, Brad, he has the visual eye. If he really thinks something is much better than what I’ve written, it’s out there for him.

CV: And what’s next for LOBO?

CB: LOBO’s in for a bit of a tonal shift as well. We’re wrapping up, with issue 6, the current story arc. I think issue 6 ends on a very dark note. Issue 5 was already starting to move a little darker. Issue 6 is, I think, really dark. When we go into issue 7, you’re going to see a very different take on Lobo. It’s a darker, sleaker story. He’s going back out into space. He won’t be on Earth after issue 6.

CV: Have you ever thought of doing a Cullen Bunn Crossover? You have four books now. You could have your own mini-event.

[laughs]

CB: It’s actually interesting, with Lobo going out into space, there’s definitely potential for there to be crossovers among these stories and have the characters interact with each other. I think it could be cool. I think Sinestro and Aquaman would be a good team up.

BW: It would be the most contentious writing team you’ve ever worked with.

[laughs]

CB: Yeah, it would be terrible. Of all the writers I don’t want to work with, I’m the one at the top of the list.

Here's the solicits for some of Cullen's books:

GREEN LANTERN: THE LOST ARMY #1

Written by CULLEN BUNN

Art and cover by JESUS SAIZ

1:25 Variant cover by BEN OLIVER

On sale JUNE 24 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.

Imagine waking up in a strange place where you didn’t recognize anything, and everyone you knew and loved was nowhere to be found. Now imagine that you are a Green Lantern. The rest of the Corps is missing, you don’t know where you are and there’s not a Power Battery to be found for as far as your ring can scan. Where are you? How did you get here? Those are just two of the many questions facing our heroes.

Starring John Stewart, Two-Six, Kilowog and Arisia, and featuring a surprise guest-star we promise you’ll never predict, LOST ARMY is an incredible journey of discovery, survival, morality and heartbreak. Never has the Corps been challenged in this way – and not everyone is going to make it home!

AQUAMAN #41

Written by CULLEN BUNN

Art and cover by TREVOR McCARTHY

THE JOKER Variant cover by WALTER SIMONSON

On sale JUNE 24 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.

Aquaman is on the run from Atlantis! The kingdom he once saved now wants him dead – and nothing will ever be the same again!

SINESTRO #12

Written by CULLEN BUNN

Art by BRAD WALKER and ANDREW HENNESSY

Cover by MARTIN COCCOLO

THE JOKER Variant cover by JOSHUA MIDDLETON

On sale JUNE 17 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.

There’s a traitor in the Sinestro Corps who has set New Korugar on a path to certain destruction! The smart move would be to evacuate the Korugarian refugees from the planet, but Sinestro knows finding the identity of the traitor is more crucial, which leads to an unexpected betrayal from someone you would never expect, and a punishment from Sinestro that will alter someone’s life irrevocably!

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Essentially Hal is going to be the sole Green Lantern in the DC Universe.

TYRESE GIBSON BTFO

Simon is not in the core group that I am focusing on.

@jaken7 BTFO

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, there's no Kyle

I don't like this

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By longbowhunter

I dropped off Aquaman shortly after Pelletier came on board. I like Bunn and McCarthy a good deal though.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Dumb

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hal Jordan is the only green lantern left in the universe

mcbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Little nervous about him coming onto aquaman, but hopefully it's as great as Jeff parkers run. Love the cover.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

I know where the Lost Army is. There are on an island. =P

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Wait, Cullen Bun is gonna be writing Aquaman & Lost Army, while also writing Lobo & Sinestro? Or is he gonna take off from Lobo? ( I hope not :c ) Or just stop writing Magneto?

DC better get him into an exclusive contract before it's too late xD they might lose him like they lost Charles Sole.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully nothing bad happens to Kyle after his final issue.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Cullen Bunn is awesome, but I'm still worried this will be Legion Lost Part II and will sideline John away from the real action. Completely separating a character from mainstream continuity is rarely a good thing. I'll give it a try anyway. I hope Bunn alleviates my fears.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: Kyle isn't a Green Lantern. The other Lanterns are apparently still in the mainstream universe.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, Cullen Bun is gonna be writing Aquaman & Lost Army, while also writing Lobo & Sinestro? Or is he gonna take off from Lobo? ( I hope not :c ) Or just stop writing Magneto?

DC better get him into an exclusive contract before it's too late xD they might lose him like they lost Charles Sole.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14 the_stegman  Moderator

Innnnteresting.

Supersmoothers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Supersmoothers

No Stewart no sale, even tough Cullen Bunn is writing it :-(.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#16  Edited By Teerack

Since they are getting rid of the book staring Guy Gardner I'm going to probably slowly fall behind and never catch back up with the Green Lantern books.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I loved the last Aquaman arc but these guys are saying all the right things! Also that is a much better tridant design, it actually IS a trident!

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

@supersmoothers said:

. No Stewart no sale, even tough Cullen Bunn is writing it :-(.

Uhhhh, Stewart IS in the one Cullen Bunn is writing. Hal is going to be the only Green Lantern in the main universe in the Green Lantern series, but the solicit clearly says John Stewart is part of Lost Army.

Avatar image for aquamanisthebest
    AquamanIsTheBest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By AquamanIsTheBest

As soon as he said there might be some costume changes for Aquaman I stopped...the image of Khal Draquaman popped into my head...and I screamed. Dear god, keep that away from us. FAR away. Don't stray from the classic look to make it movie like. Ever.

Oh, and Arthur hated by his own people? THERE'S an original story!

Holding out on this, hopefully it's good...but we'll see

As for GLTLA...Where's Guy? Or Kyle? DA HELL!? Why does Johm get another book! Screw this!

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By donmeca2020

when will they end this Lobo already???? ughhh as for the lost Army and so fourth, they all sound interesting.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

I am intrigued!!

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always been a fan of Walker's art, might tale a look just because of him.

Never had much love for Sinestro himself.

Supersmoothers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I believe Cullen Bunn is one of the greatest writers DC has to offer!

Desh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So looking forward to Lost Army!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

when will they end this Lobo already???? ughhh as for the lost Army and so fourth, they all sound interesting.

Why does it need to end? Why can't you just not read it?

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Excited to see where Bunn is going to take us in Aquaman and Lost Army! He's been killing it in Sinestro!

comicbook_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved everything Jeff Parker did as the writer for the Aquaman series, so I'm nervous about this change. What Bunn said could be cool, but I'm still skeptical. Hoping for the best!

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020 said:

because this series is a mockery of the original and the original character... I also don't read it, that would be a waste of money, and space in one of my boxes.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

@donmeca2020 said:

because this series is a mockery of the original and the original character... I also don't read it, that would be a waste of money, and space in one of my boxes.

So why do you care that it exists? I don't like onions but I don't go to shops and tell them to take them off the shelves so nobody else can eat them.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@donmeca2020 said:

So why do you care that it exists? I don't like onions but I don't go to shops and tell them to take them off the shelves so nobody else can eat them.

Because this a comic forum, and I like many others are entitled to post my opinion or thoughts on the particular subject matter. I don't get butt hurt when someone comments about how Superhero X series sucks or is better then superhero Y... its a forum and with your 30 thousand plus post count should know how to react to someone's comment.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Bunn! Sad though to see Aquaman rise to 3.99...

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: I know how to react and this is it. If you don't like a comic don't buy it, there is no need to for the "I don't like it so nobody else should mentality.

jas0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Might pcik up GL: LA only for Saiz, he's an amazing artist.

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Green Lantern: Lost Army sounds good.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Honestly I thought Lost Army would be like a new Green Lantern team book with all the Earth Lanterns with some other Lanterns calling themselves the Lost Army. I'll still check it out.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: I know how to react and this is it. If you don't like a comic don't buy it, there is no need to for the "I don't like it so nobody else should mentality.

The way your reacting I don't like... so will you change that for me ? i think i can have any type of mentality i want.... some schmuck on a forum has no say in that. furthermore i never told anybody not to buy the comic, i just stated i don't like it and it should be gone. Then again thats why DC is giving getting rid of it come june.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

Wait, there's no Kyle

I don't like this

But Hal Jordan as the sole Green Lantern, I can dig it.

Avatar image for everybodyhateschris
    EverybodyHatesChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

Wait, there's no Kyle

I don't like this

But Hal Jordan as the sole Green Lantern, I can dig it.

I dig this too. I would not rule Kyle out he may just not be part of the story yet but I feel like the possibility of him showing up could happen. Also Cullen Bunn writing? I am there for all series except Lobo. There is so much my wallet can handle :(

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is why Hal left his ring in his locker and stole Krona's gauntlet! This is why Guy is still a Red! But I do wonder what happened to the Templar Guardians.

And @g-man Are you sure that Brad Walker said "Corps Guardians" and not "Korugarians"?

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like things are going to benefit for Sinestro, since the Green Lanterns Corps aren't going to be in the way of his plans. This will give time for Sinestro to build a greater army. And considering how Sinestro recruited Bekka, a New God and still have the Parallax Entity, they are going to be a huge threat for the Green Lantern Corps. Sinestro has always been regarded as a master strategist. I believe once the Corps return into the normal universe, they're going to face a considerable threat towards the Sinestro Corps.

There will definitely be a crossover later down the road.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

Simon is not in the core group that I am focusing on.

@jaken7 BTFO

@saren said:

Wait, there's no Kyle

I don't like this

I can't even feel vindication or satisfaction from this realization, because Kyle is my 2nd favorite Lantern. :/

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mysoulz

@jaken7: Kyle isn't going anywhere. I just seen Cullen Bunn responded to a user and said "stay tuned!" when a remark was made about the concerns for Kyle and Guy. But I don't think Kyle would be the one of the main focus on the book, unfortunately.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysoulz said:

@jaken7: Kyle isn't going anywhere. I just seen Cullen Bunn responded to a user and said "stay tuned!" when a remark was made about the concerns for Kyle and Guy. But I don't think Kyle would be the one of the main focus on the book, unfortunately.

I figured, it's just unfortunate because we've been downsized to only 2 GL books. One of which focuses solely on Hal, and one of which that does not focus on Kyle or Simon as part of its main cast. So when my 2 favorite Lanterns aren't going to actively be a part of any of the GL books, it's like, when are we going to see 'em?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I really like the writer Cullen Bunn has become but I can never really like this guy. Just look at the interview - he seems like a stiff man that cannot take a joke and cannot even make us, readers, wanting to buy the book or at least to like the concept.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@mysoulz said:

I figured, it's just unfortunate because we've been downsized to only 2 GL books. One of which focuses solely on Hal, and one of which that does not focus on Kyle or Simon as part of its main cast. So when my 2 favorite Lanterns aren't going to actively be a part of any of the GL books, it's like, when are we going to see 'em?

I understand. All Earth lanterns having their own runs was the best thing going for them, but unfortunately both Red Lantern and New Guardians sells were low, but wasn't in cancellation levels, which was a good thing. If the main Green Lantern book was able to sustain sales near Johns GL era, other lantern sub books would be higher than they already are, which I don't think both lantern books wouldn't be reduced currently. It's evident that the Green Lantern franchise/brand isn't a high profile series without Johns' writing (since him alone brings in an extra percentage in readership).

About Simon, I don't think writers are really interested in him at the moment, which is sad. He might appear alongside Hal Jordan in the main GL title possibly, but he was supposed to train and work with Jessica Cruz. I don't know why Geoff Johns would use Hal instead of Simon.

We'll see what happens with Kyle's final issue.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysoulz said:

@jaken7 said:

@mysoulz said:

I understand. All Earth lanterns having their own runs was the best thing going for them, but unfortunately both Red Lantern and New Guardians sells were low, but wasn't in cancellation levels, which was a good thing. If the main Green Lantern book was able to sustain sales near Johns GL era, other lantern sub books would be higher than they already are, which I don't think both lantern books wouldn't be reduced currently. It's evident that the Green Lantern franchise/brand isn't a high profile series without Johns' writing (since him alone brings in an extra percentage in readership).

About Simon, I don't think writers are really interested in him at the moment, which is sad. He might appear alongside Hal Jordan in the main GL title possibly, but he was supposed to train and work with Jessica Cruz. I don't know why Geoff Johns would use Hal instead of Simon.

We'll see what happens with Kyle's final issue.

Fair points.

Yeah, I'm confused as hell on that. Especially since Simon was already on Earth serving as the Green's only presence there (with the approval of Guy, whose Reds hold dominion over sector 2814 now), and the one kind of keeping an eye on Hal's family. I don't understand why Johns would write about near-future events in his last GL issue, and then not follow through with said near-future events.

I suppose we'll have to wait and see, yeah.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dig Hal as sole GL, but I'm a little concerned about the rest of the Lanterns.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.