Follow

Cullen Bunn

Person » Cullen Bunn is credited in 1413 issues.

Writer most known for his creator-owned series The Sixth Gun.

Interview: Cullen Bunn Talks LOBO, The Pariah, and Bekka's Future in SINESTRO

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Writer Cullen Bunn has been working up a storm over at DC with LOBO, SINESTRO, and the recently announced AQUAMAN, post-Convergence event. With things heating up in both of his on-going book he answered a few of our questions about LOBO and SINESTRO.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: You've spent a lot of time rebuilding Lobo from the inside out. Instead of a loud-mouthed, witty, cigar smoking, we have a more slick, silent killer with regret in his past. Would you say this version of Lobo is as much a reflection of the times as the pre-52 Lobo was?

CULLEN BUNN: I don’t think about that too often, but I think that’s a fair assessment. Certainly, I think the new version of Lobo is a little more accessible to today’s readership. I’ve said it before. I liked the pre-52 Lobo quite a bit, but I’m not sure he would appeal to as wide of an audience. I’d read those stories, but I don’t know how many other would. At the same time, it’s a bit of a double-edged sword. I think a lot of readers see “Lobo” and picture a kind of character who is much more at home in the “extreme” 90s, and that turns them off a bit. The stories I’m telling with Lobo, especially from issue 5 on, are lean and mean and sexy and very, very dark.

CV: Lobo takes quite the beating in issue 5 but heals from it pretty quickly. Is this character indestructible and are there any surprises coming down the line with his powers?

CB: Lobo’s regenerative abilities make him very hard to kill. He’s not indestructible, but he can take a major beating and keep powering through. That’s going to come in handy for him as he faces tougher and tougher challenges.

As for his power set, I don’t think we’ll be seeing much in the way of new powers. We will, however, be exploring the limits of the powers we already know he possesses. We’re also going to see a number of new toys in terms of tech and weapons.

CV: Would you consider Xrexians and Czarnians to be the Hatfields and McCoys of space?

CB: Not in the past. The Xerians were more like second-class citizens who wanted o build their own life on a world near Czarnia. Maybe now they are, only there are only two of them, and one of them apparently wants to use the other to repopulate their species.

CV: Aside from beating down Lobo, The Pariah seems to be just into trying to get into Lobo's head to defeat him. The ending of issue 5 leaves the reader to believe that The Pariah may have been responsible for Czarnia. Is this another power-play by Pariah or is there something more to this?

CB: If it’s just a power play on the Pariah’s part, she’s sticking by what she said. If she is telling the truth, it will change pretty much everything Lobo believes in. I feel like issue 5 was a bit of a shift in terms of tone for the series, and issue 6 takes that a few steps further. If Lobo discovers that what he believed about Czarnia’s destruction was untrue, it will take him into some very dark territory.

No Caption Provided

CV: The end of the latest issue of SINESTRO shows Bekka, a New God, as a member of the Sinestro Corps. While Sinestro has sacrificed a lot of members during this run, is Bekka, the Sinestro Corps member, going to carry through Convergence?

CB: Bekka will be around for quite a while. Sinestro has plans for the New God, and those plans will carry through the storyline for many issues to come. There are also more than a few questions remaining about Bekka’s motivations for donning a yellow ring, and we’ll be exploring that as well. These two are playing a dangerous game that I think will be a lot of fun for readers.

CV: Mongul and the Sinestro Corps have a long-standing relationship of sorts. Mogul, once again, is craving the power of Parallax and is willing to do almost anything to get it. Would you say Mongul's plot is more about revenge or power?

CB: Mongul certainly wants power, and he is more than capable of claiming it. It’s his desire for revenge, though, that gets him into trouble. Mongul has drawn Sinestro out using tactics that would have worked on himself. He struck at Korugarians in hopes that Sinestro would rocket headlong into a trap. But Sinestro, I think, is a little more level-headed about such things. Even when he’s angry, he’s always planning a few steps ahead.

CV: What drives your writing when it comes to the father and daughter dynamic in this book?

CB: The relationship between parent and child is something I’m always interested in exploring. With Sinestro and Soranik, it’s particularly interesting, because they are seemingly complete opposites in every way. What’s exciting for me is that Soranik and Sinestro is that they are engaged in this kind of tug-of-war and we’re not sure who will win. Will Soranik drag Sinestro into the light? Or will Sinestro pull his daughter into the shadows? One side will definitely gain a lot of ground in the next few issues.

CV: You were recently announced as the writer for AQUAMAN, post-Convergence. What are some of your favorite moments for the character?

CB: I’ve been a big fan of Geoff Johns and Jeff Parker’s runs with the character, but there are a few other moments that stick out in my mind. I really enjoyed Kurt Busiek’s “Sword of Atlantis” take on the character. And I remember working in a comic book store long ago and taking great delight in the confrontation between the 90s Superboy and Aquaman. In that battle, Superboy says he’s unimpressed by Aquaman. So, Arthur calls up a tidal wave and calls out, “Hey, Punk! Impressed yet!” I enjoyed that scene quite a bit.

Thanks to Cullen Bunn for answering our questions and make sure to check out LOBO #6, as wells as SINESTRO, which is currently on sale at your local comic shop.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm curious as to when they'll be bringing back the original Lobo? ? ?

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

This feels... Like they want to make him over the top like Classic Lobo, but they also want a DEEPER character to him. If anything? From this? I am getting MAJOR Wolverine vibes... Kinda like Ultimate Wolverine done right. I've said before I like the look... If it wasn't Lobo, but.... Man this is a hard one... I think this is DC trying their best to SAVE Lobo as a character.

Let me explain. We all, if not love, at least LIKE Lobo. He's a fun character! He's an over-the-top parody of violent anti-heroes, he's pure machismo and testosterone personified. Many have said he's DC's Deadpool because of it... But.... I started to realize a key difference about Deadpool and Lobo when this new version sprang up..... Deadpool is more than just a parody. He has a deeper character under the insanity and goofy nature, and that can really be explored to make a very compelling story.

Lobo.... Lobo was never made with the intent of being taken seriously and.... That's kinda why for the longest time after the 90's ended, hell even DURING the 90's, Lobo never held a series that lasted any major length, and just had various appearances around the DCU. That was just it... As fun as he was... And as extremely badass as he was... It was the fact no one took him seriously that held him back. You make a joke character, even if the character is popular... Just means he's a popular joke.

I am a Lobo fan... But man this is REALLY hard. I think I actually like the direction they're TRYING to go with this new Lobo. The look they gave him? If they went with anything TOO much like the Old Lobo then this new direction would not have worked. Is he the best character at the moment? No, because I think it's due to the fact this is a new take on a character that up until a few years ago was the epitome of an over the top and bombastic male power fantasy and is suddenly trying to be written as an actual character and not a joke.

Is it perfect? No. Is he as fun as the old Lobo? No. But, for the life of me? I find it harder and harder to HATE on this change. I can't help at least liking the GENERAL idea of what they're trying to do.

Yeah I'll just leave this here

Loading Video...

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#3  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I tried to get Cullen to dish on his Aquaman run but he wasn't for it

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about Green Lantern Lost Army?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By gmanfromheck
    veronicacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm curious as to when they'll be bringing back the original Lobo? ? ?

when this series get cancelled

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ando123
    Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@smart_dork_dude: Deadpool is not a parody character, he is a comedy character.

Also it's not really a change, Lobo just needed to be updated to properly parody what's popular nowadays. Also of course you love it, it's Cullen Bunn, he's f*cking amazing.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: Soon this Lobo series is selling poorly and might get cancelled in the next few months.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By DonFelipe
    @captainmarvel4ever said:

@smart_dork_dude: Deadpool is not a parody character, he is a comedy character.

Also it's not really a change, Lobo just needed to be updated to properly parody what's popular nowadays. Also of course you love it, it's Cullen Bunn, he's f*cking amazing.

Deadpool's name and costume are some sort of parody though, but he was meant be just a fun guy... and not to be taken very seriously.

Whatever serious aspects you, @smart_dork_dude, are talking about have been added (much) later. What you're relating to may be the arc Dead from 2012 when he finds a cure to his healing factor and decides to become mortal for some period of time.

Lobo on the other hand was created as a ordinary albeit hard-boiled villain (from another planet but not Czarnia), and his origin was changed in the 1990s when he became that crazy ass bastich (now from Czarnia).

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donfelipe: Not really, Rob Liefeld just based his costume on Deathstroke, just like most characters he created which are mostly based on pre existing Marvel and DC characters.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HES TAKING OVER ON AQUAMAN?!?!?!?

THIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME !!!

CAPS ON !!!!

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Great interview! I'm excited to see where Bunn goes with Bekka. And also where he is going with Sinestro and Soranik seems very interesting.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bottom line they need to bring the Original back.... this new one is just pitiful, everytime i see an issue of it in my LCS i want to just look away quickly in disgust. If you all are down with the Twilight saga looking Lobo, well good for you.

BRING BACK LOBO !!!

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: You contradict yourself, if you want the real Lobo then he has to look like he came out of Twilight or he's not a parody.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: You contradict yourself, if you want the real Lobo then he has to look like he came out of Twilight or he's not a parody.

He's supposedly the real Lobo in THIS series.... im sure considering it's a comic, they can bring him back and then a story can come out and correct it, that the 90s lobo is the real deal.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: No he isn't, he can't be the real deal, his parody makes no sense, people don't like 90's characters anymore, now we know they suck. So naturally he has to look like Red Hood or Moon Knight, characters that fit a certain archetype that is becoming overly popular these days.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: No he isn't, he can't be the real deal, his parody makes no sense, people don't like 90's characters anymore, now we know they suck. So naturally he has to look like Red Hood or Moon Knight, characters that fit a certain archetype that is becoming overly popular these days.

How so ?? they were still using that look in one of the Injustice annuals last year.. i know because i have it, as well as sideshow collectibles just made a statue of that lobo as well. so nobody likes that Lobo or design anymore?? tell me again, considering i know im not the only one who feels that way.

Also how could you compare Red Hood and moon knight to the queer Lobo?? both RH and MK look bad ass.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: That's because the Injustice comics are based on the Injustice games.

You just proved my point.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: That's because the Injustice comics are based on the Injustice games.

You just proved my point.

It doesn't matter.... bro are you mad because you might be one of the only fans of Queerbo?

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: No quit a few other people like Lobo, and this series has been getting great reviews (as expected of a Cullen Bunn comic)

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By donmeca2020

@donmeca2020: No quit a few other people like Lobo, and this series has been getting great reviews (as expected of a Cullen Bunn comic)

realistically if it's close to the shitter, what makes you think " people like this lobo "

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: As I just said, the very good reviews this series gets seems like a good measure.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like the old lobo better because of his persona. but this Lobo is more interesting.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: As I just said, the very good reviews this series gets seems like a good measure.

Not enough good to keep this series afloat though.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: Well that's the fate of many series, it managed to avoid DC's pre Convergence culling, so it clearly has an audience.

icecold14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like this new Lobo :)

EddieHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new Lobo is more interesting than the old one.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: Well that's the fate of many series, it managed to avoid DC's pre Convergence culling, so it clearly has an audience.

Your wrong... not the good ones.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: No plenty of good series get canceled all the time. Vibe did, Demon Knights did, She Hulk did, Electra did, FF did, and today so did Swamp Thing, as just a few of many examples.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
    Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

...still waiting for the real Lobo to come back.

And btw, the Lobo I am referring to did not need an update, because 90'ties comics have not gotten better, people's attitudes towards them have not improved, and thats why a parody of them is still funny.

Nolidoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, if you want a new interesting character or hell even one of Lobo's race then bring that in!

There was no reason to take everything about the character and destroy him, he was popular before, he almost got a movie before the New 52 and if he gets one now, I would bet money that they would use designs and the personality of his old comic character and not this one.

His story before had dark undertones ( he destroyed his own race before it was ever written in the New 52)

He was the black to the pearly white innocence that his nonviolent alien species was, the ultimate black sheep, and yes while the 90's biker look may seem dated his personality as an insane adrenaline junkie that could trade punches with superman is not dated. If this guy the new "suave" Lobo fights superman what the heck do I care? Why would I read that comic its like every other villain with strength out there, to put it simply it is boring.

I liked the insane biker that was crazy, fun and almost childlike at times. Whenever he showed up be it comics or animated shows it was always a wild ride. Now I have a character that they decided is "lean, mean, sexy". If you wanted that then why not make an original character?

I don't get it, even when the changed Harley Quinn's character, the suicide squad movie still gave her a costume similar to her old one and her personality was while not identical to her old one definitely leaning towards it. I personally think it's because that is what attracts people to her, just like I believe a Lobo movie will lean towards his old self.

If it's not broken don't fix it.

And if your bored writing an old character then try something completely crazy and unheard of and create a new character.

But hey if others like it then others like it, I'll have to wait and see how it all plays out.

Nolidoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lastly I would like to point out Lobo was a parody of Wolverine.

This Lobo is certainly not that. Not even today's Wolverine before his death,

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By donmeca2020

@captainmarvel4ever said:

@donmeca2020: No plenty of good series get canceled all the time. Vibe did, Demon Knights did, She Hulk did, Electra did, FF did, and today so did Swamp Thing, as just a few of many examples.

Maybe they were good in your eyes and your eyes only... while i'm semi partial to Swamp Thing and FF. the numbers being sold don't lie and obviously they weren't doing good enough to continue producing these series for the long run.

As for your comment prior about people not likeing 90s characters or their appearances BULLSHIT. if people don't like all things or characters from the 90s why is BOTH Harley quinn and deadpools first appearances selling for close to $1600 bucks a pop depending on grade?? because wouldn't you know it, they are at this moment and last year and abit prior the BIG TWOs cash cows.... everyone is going crazy over harley and Deadpool. speaking of Old Lobo, why did sideshow collectibles make a statue of him that is priced for a pretty penny? Obviously he still has a fan following and people will spend their hard earned dollars on items with him on it. i have not seen not one statue,toy,artwork or anything up for sale for the new one

I'll be looking for you once they shitcan this the metro sexual Lobo series and they end up bringing back the version that should have had his series return. we can discuss this again and see how your comments are...

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I really want them to just do a story where all these Lobo robots are revealed to be sent by the classic Lobo, and then Lobo could be revealed to be a family name and the new and classic Lobo can be referred to as the Brothers Lobo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

@captainmarvel4ever: You're the only person I've ever seen like Vibe. What did you like about it so much about it?

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: i can see them bringing classic Lobo back before the series ends and he frags this pretty boy bastich for impersonating him. The minute the intergaltic bounty hunter with dawg comes back, i'll be quick to add into my pull list.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: Couple guys told me they liked it and that I should check it out, I did and I liked it, I thought it was a pretty good book. There was nothing in particular that stood out, I just thought it was a nice story about a relatively new super hero who has to deal with the fact that he may have gotten himself mixed up in something dangerous. I also really like his powers too.

@donmeca2020: No, I'm saying they were good because they all got very good reviews, and the writing within the books was top notch.Harley Quinn isn't a 90's archetype character, and Deadpool is popular because people find he's funny, not because of specific character traits, just because he's funny (which is fine since he is a comedy character).

Even if it is canceled that doesn't mean it's bad.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: Couple guys told me they liked it and that I should check it out, I did and I liked it, I thought it was a pretty good book. There was nothing in particular that stood out, I just thought it was a nice story about a relatively new super hero who has to deal with the fact that he may have gotten himself mixed up in something dangerous. I also really like his powers too.

@donmeca2020: No, I'm saying they were good because they all got very good reviews, and the writing within the books was top notch.Harley Quinn isn't a 90's archetype character, and Deadpool is popular because people find he's funny, not because of specific character traits, just because he's funny (which is fine since he is a comedy character).

Even if it is canceled that doesn't mean it's bad.

Harley quinn is NOT FROM THE 90S???? are you on crack or smoking some good ish??? last i recalled her first appearance came out in Batman adventures # 12 which came out September 1993. deadpool is also another product of the 90s his first appearance in NM # 98 came out feb of 1991. harley quinn have not really changed since then, other then the new 52 doesn't have her in her outfit any longer, well for now at least. Both these characters of the 90s have survived and stood the test of time.. hell the last 3 years or so these two have been blowing up like crazy. every fanboy looking for something hip,new or trendy has been buying deadpool, and alot of women have been flocking to Harley's material. not to mention it has that comical appeal and kind of crude comedy that the ORIGINAL Lobo had.

While some people don't like to admit it Deadpool is just a lame knockoff of Deathstroke.... that topic has been beaten up numerous times though....

If it's canceled that doesn't mean it's bad??? LMAFO how so ?? if it was good they wouldn't be getting rid of any of these series or already have. it's not producing the numbers the Big 2 want for sales, business wise why would they continue producing any series that isn't making a good profit for them. and in MORON terms that means the series wasn't doing well and they weren't making the money they want so SHIT CAN YA GO !!!!!

Once again let's have this discussion again when how predictably quick they get rid of this Lobo. and tell me again how you and 2 others on here commented on how this was a great series....

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: I didn't say she wasn't from the 90's, I said she wasn't a 90's archetype. Also as I said, Deadpool is not loved for being a 90's character, he is loved because he's not really a character, just a means for comedy.

He's not a knockoff of Deathstrok, his design is based off Deathstroke, just like how most Liefeld creations are based off existing Marvel/DC characters. Other then his look and his name he has nothing in common with Deathstrok, Deathstroke is a villain, and Deadpool is a pure comedy character.

Many good series have been canceled, A book can be good but still canceled. Like GI Zombie, that's a great series, but since not many people care or know about the character, not many people buy it.

If you've been reading the series (which you should) you'd know that it has great writing and art, which is the definition of a good book.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By donmeca2020

@donmeca2020: I didn't say she wasn't from the 90's, I said she wasn't a 90's archetype. Also as I said, Deadpool is not loved for being a 90's character, he is loved because he's not really a character, just a means for comedy.

He's not a knockoff of Deathstrok, his design is based off Deathstroke, just like how most Liefeld creations are based off existing Marvel/DC characters. Other then his look and his name he has nothing in common with Deathstrok, Deathstroke is a villain, and Deadpool is a pure comedy character.

Many good series have been canceled, A book can be good but still canceled. Like GI Zombie, that's a great series, but since not many people care or know about the character, not many people buy it.

If you've been reading the series (which you should) you'd know that it has great writing and art, which is the definition of a good book.

Once again If it was a worthwhile money making hit they WOULDN"T be getting rid of them now would they ?? your comments are starting to sound completely moronic....

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: Just because a book isn't selling doesn't mean it's not good, if that's truly you're one dimensional way of viewing comics then I truly feel sorry for you. because you're going to miss out on a lot of good series.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: Just because a book isn't selling doesn't mean it's not good, if that's truly you're one dimensional way of viewing comics then I truly feel sorry for you. because you're going to miss out on a lot of good series.

bro, it's obvious you aren't reading my posts thoroughly or correctly..... I'm not saying myself im saying in the eyes of two of the biggest companies that produce these comics. what logical sense does it make to continue producing crap that isn't selling? they're losing profits. is there any reason they should continue selling these and producing these?

how old are you by way ? your posts are just getting more and more irrelevant and pointless.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: I never said they should continue making it if it doesn't sell, I loved Vibe's book, but if it isn't selling, it isn't selling, that's just how it goes.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Seriously need to read his Lobo series.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.