Follow

Cullen Bunn

Person » Cullen Bunn is credited in 1414 issues.

Writer most known for his creator-owned series The Sixth Gun.

Interview: Cullen Bunn Takes on Werewolves in WOLF MOON at Vertigo

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

WOLF MOON #1 came out this week. It's Cullen Bunn's first book at Vertigo. You've probably read a werewolf story or two in your time but this is something different. If you've read any of Bunn's work, you know he always adds his unique twist in his writing. With WOLF MOON, there definitely is a different twist to the werewolf idea.

With Jeremy Haun doing the art and Lee Loughridge handling the color, this is a book you'll want to check out right away. We asked Cullen some questions before the first issue hit the stands to find out more about the series.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: With this being your first story at Vertigo, how will that affect your writing? In other words, do you see writing a Vertigo story different from your DC (or Marvel) books?

No Caption Provided

CULLEN BUNN: I approached WOLF MOON the way I would any creator-owned project. I try to put the same thought and care into every story I write, no matter who it is for. The biggest difference, I guess, is that these characters and situations were created from the ground up. They exist in their own world. There are really no limits in terms of continuity or other books within the same universe.

Since this is a Vertigo book, we had some freedom in terms of the violence and horror. In fact, early readers for this script commented on the violence levels, but our editors gave us a couple of extra pages to add some more blood and guts! That shocked me a bit. When it comes to “superhero” books, I’m frequently asked to tone the violence down, but not here!

CV: There's been a lot of different werewolf stories over the years, what's your take on the genre and concept?

CB: In a lot of ways, werewolf stories are, themselves, shapeshifters. There are so many exciting takes on the legends. From four-legged beasts to wolf men to hulking lupine monsters—there really is something for everyone.

In WOLF MOON, we’re dealing with what seems like a traditional “hulking monster” werewolf. It’s a huge, brutish creature capable of ripping its prey apart with gleeful abandon. But the method of “contagion” is a little different. This is no gypsy curse. This affliction is not transmitted by a bite on the foggy moors. How it is contracted is a bit of a mystery, actually, but what makes it so insidious is that the Wolf “jumps” from host to host with each full moon.

One month, I might turn into the werewolf. Next month, though, someone completely different becomes the Wolf. This makes it almost impossible to track, because there is no way of knowing who is going to turn into the werewolf by the light of the full moon. The “rules” behind this bizarre transformation is something we’ll reveal in our second issue. It’s tied to some really cool American legends.

CV: What can you tell us about the lead character, Dillon Chase?

CB: Dillon is a bit of a tortured soul. At one time, he played host to the Wolf, and the actions he took during that time haunt him to this day. He has friends and allies who help him on his hunt, but he keeps them at a distance out of fear that they might get hurt. He is obsessed with hunting and killing the werewolf, but he is struggling with the notion that in order to kill the Wolf, he must kill the innocent person who has transformed into the creature.

No Caption Provided

CV: How does Dillon compare to your other lead characters you write? You tend to write characters that straddle the line between good and bad. Is Dillon a pure hero?

No Caption Provided

CB: I think Dillon is more of a true hero than, Drake from THE SIXTH GUN or Eddie from THE DAMNED. He’s trying to do the right thing and he wants to help people. He’s been backed into a corner, though, whether it’s by the elusive prey he’s tracking or by his own guilt. He has come to the decision that he’s going to have to kill one innocent person in order to kill the monster. By taking this one ruthless act, he’ll save countless others.

CV: Will your story take place in the modern age?

CB: Yes, this story takes place in the here and now, over the course of a few months’ time. A lot of my creator-owned stuff takes place in the past, so this was an exciting change of pace for me.

CV: The series will be a six-issue miniseries. Is your story completely self-contained or is there room for you to revisit the characters and world?

CB: The series is self-contained, but there is so much room to explore the mythology of the Wolf. Keep in mind, this creature has touched hundreds… maybe thousands… of lives. Every person that has played host to this creature has a story to tell. This is Dillon’s story primarily, but you’ll see how the creature has ruined the lives of many others. In the end, I love world-building and twisting existing stories on their ear. I’d love to continue this tale.

CV: Now that you've had a taste of writing in the Vertigo territory, any thoughts of doing more?

CB: I would love to do more books with Vertigo. You have to keep in mind, I was a Vertigo junkie long before I was a comic book writer. I really hope this is the first of many projects!

WOLF MOON #1 is now on sale. Be sure to pick it up ASAP. Especially before the next full moon.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Absolutely loved the first issue, as well as this interview. I normally don't read that many independent series due to a lack of time and money, but who could say no to Cullen Bunn? The story and characters were fantastic, and the art fit the book perfectly. The violence in the series is well showcased, and unlike another book at DC which I will not name, this book has real weight to the violence, when reading you can really feel it drive and inform the story. I also really enjoyed the main character's internal monologue throughout the story, and the many fears as well as ethical decisions he faced. Although what I think is most interesting is that my favorite part was probably in the back of the book where Mr. Bunn tells the story of where the idea of this book came, and his views on werewolves.

If anyone is on the fence about picking this up I highly highly recommend it (unless you don't enjoy violent books).

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By DonFelipe

@captainmarvel4ever: Alright, I was already intrigued before and now I'm definitely in. Thanks!

You should post your comment as review.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donfelipe: That's a good idea, maybe I will, thanks :)

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Nice interview. I was on the fence with picking this up but this shed some more light on the series for me so I'll be getting it from Comixology later today. Been dying for a good werewolf story, had to rewatch Ginger Snaps back in October

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

@bigl: I read the issue after I did the interview. Wanted to post a review but didn't have the time. I liked it. It's totally not "just another werewolf story." Very interesting and I'm wondering where he'll go with this.

RevivalMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

This was a great first issue. Anyone even slightly interested should definitely pick this one up. How can you say no to that cover? Probably my favorite of the week.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I kinda wanna read it just because the main character and I have the same sideburns.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@revivalmh said:

This was a great first issue. Anyone even slightly interested should definitely pick this one up. How can you say no to that cover? Probably my favorite of the week.

Defiantly, that Jae Lee cover is absolutely beautiful.

mcbean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Good start

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

I kinda wanna read it just because the main character and I have the same sideburns.

Haha, I just wanted to tell you about [the sideburns]! It's an amazing first issue: Interesting lead character, intriguing story, wonderful art, lots of blood, great coloring, more blood, and a very hungry wolf!

@captainmarvel4ever: yup, you definitely nailed it! What a great first issue! The art is amazing and the shadows... I love these shadows! The only confusing scene is when the guy who's turning into the wolf says something like "not again" but I'm sure this is not a mistake from Bunn and there'll be a reason for it.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@donfelipe: Rad! I'm a werewolf guy anyway, I'm sure I'd dig this.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.