Follow

Crossover

Concept » Crossover appears in 4489 issues.

A crossover is when two or more universes collide and characters from two distinct universes interact.

Robbie Thompson & Justin Jordan Talk PLANET OF THE APES/GREEN LANTERN Crossover

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

DC Comics and Boom Studios are unleashing the next big and unexpected crossover. We recently looked at some crazy comic book crossovers we've seen from the past. These happen more often than you might think and not just when you're talking about when heroes like Batman and Superman joining forces to fight a supervillain. There are moments when comic book publishers get together to combine different franchises in one epic story.

With the Planet of the Apes/Green Lantern miniseries, the two worlds will somehow be brought together. We talked to writers Robbie Thompson and Justin Jordan to find out how this happened and what we can expect.

No Caption Provided

Comic Vine: Who first pitched this crossover and how did everyone get involved?

Justin Jordan: Well, for me, it was simple: They asked me. Specifically, Dafna [Pleban] reached out when Robbie's schedule became such that he couldn't do the actual scripts. Since it was both a chance to do Planet of the Apes and work with Robbie and Barnaby, I was all in, right away. I'd have said yes to anything with any one of those three, but I got the trifecta.

Robbie Thompson: I met Dafna through some mutual friends, and I'm a big fan of her work. She's a very talented editor, and I was hoping to get a chance to work with her. I was lucky enough to get a call to pitch on this story. It was a blast working with her and [Boom Associate Editor] Alex [Galer] in figuring out how to bring these franchises together. The best part was going back and watching all the original movies--not a pain to do that research at all! And yes, while my schedule got overloaded, it ended up being the best thing ever for the book because Dafna brought on Justin and he's done an outstanding job bringing this story to life.

What characters will be used in the story?

Jordan: ALL OF THEM.

Well, damn near. Basically, every ape that's appeared in the original films (except for Ceasar), plus Sinestro, Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner, Kilowog, and a whole bunch of other Lanterns. This may actually have the largest cast of any comic I've written.

And a surprise guest star in issue three!

Did DC and Fox give any restrictions or limitations about what could happen or which characters could be used?

Jordan: They didn't to me. Actually, DC suggested we could use a character that had--until then--not been in the story. Which was good, because they proved to be hugely important, so that worked out.

Thompson: Not really restrictions or limitations, but they both have a profound understanding about the franchises they're steering. I have to say that they were enormously helpful throughout the early stages of crafting this series, pitching in great ideas for the series and a ton of great "casting" ideas.

No Caption Provided

Who's your favorite Green Lantern and which is your favorite Apes movie?

Jordan:John Stewart is probably my favorite GL and, ironically, he's not in this. I am also--given that I wrote him for several hundred pages--a big fan of Kyle Rayner, but I consider him a White Lantern. I will say that writing Guy Gardner ended up being probably the most fun bit here.

My favorite Apes movie is Beneath the Planet of the Apes. It's not as good as the original, but it really amps up the craziness, and it has the most hilariously bleak ending of maybe any movie I've ever seen. Seriously, check out the end narration.

Thompson: Hal was my first Green Lantern and will always be my favorite. I do love Guy quite a bit, though, too.

And while I have a special place in my heart for the first Planet of the Apes, my favorite is hands down Beneath the Planet of the Apes. That movie blew my mind when I was kid, especially the insane ending that Justin's talking about!

What are you most excited for readers to see?

Jordan: So, so many options for this answer. Barnaby [Bagenda's] badass art, for one thing, but I'm particularly pleased with issue five where we really lean into the amount of mayhem we get up to.

Thompson: I'm really excited for readers to see Barnaby's amazing art and the incredible variants that Boom has assembled.

Planet of the Apes/Green Lantern #1 is on sale now in stores and online. The art is by Barnaby Bagenda with colors by Alex Guimaraes. Be sure to check out the preview pages above.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Interesting concept.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 the_stegman  Moderator

DC is like "We'll crossover with everyone!...Except Marvel"

ShadowWing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm not sure about this.

Lord-Parallax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

chrisburgess99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most sectors have two GLs. George Taylor portrayed by Charlton Heston could be the other GL for this sector.

KalvinEllis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait a minute, if John Stewart isn't in this series, why is he on the covers?

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is bizarre.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@kalvinellis: Well really only on the first cover, with guy, but that is a good question, also is that Spectre in the 2nd cover?

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Wait....No John...Then why even have the crossover?!

KalvinEllis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kalvinellis: Well really only on the first cover, with guy, but that is a good question, also is that Spectre in the 2nd cover?

He is in the third issue's cover too. And I doubt that's Spectre, I believe it's the Lanterns' crypt keeper. Forgot his name.

KalvinEllis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait....No John...Then why even have the crossover?!

Well it's not like you "need" John Stewart or any particular GL in order to do a crossover like this. Still, I didn't think he won't be there, too.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heatblaze123 said:

@the_stegman said:

You can't blame DC, Marvel won't even do crossovers with Star Wars.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f
    deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Yassassin

. I will say that writing Guy Gardner ended up being probably the most fun bit here.

I'm already sold. I love it when writers have fun with Guy.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 the_stegman  Moderator

@king_krown: Imagine Rocket and Groot meeting Han and Chewie.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

will read

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, no....

apg103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC is so desperate nowadays

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

@apg103 said:

DC is so desperate nowadays

Yeah they should be like Marvel and re-hash old ideas and re-start old series because new ideas, even franchise cross-overs are for losers! Yeah!

I don't read either right now but this cross-over is at least somewhat clever. Marvel is the desperate party, re-hashing the Clone Saga of Spider-man, re-starting Old Man Logan and Civil War. They've run out of ideas.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apg103: Movie wise? Yes... Comic wise?No. I don't know what you're smoking.

@doc-holiday Yea,Man! DC should also forget about Villains and spam hero v hero like Marvel. What's with these New characters? Lark?Gotham Girl?Variant? Ikon? pfttt They should kill & replace their old characters instead of making new ones!

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doc-holiday Yea,Man! DC should also forget about Villains and spam hero v hero like Marvel. What's with these New characters? Lark?Gotham Girl?Variant? Ikon? pfttt They should kill & replace their old characters instead of making new ones!

Totally. They should also go the route of forced diversity. Have every single super replaced by their ethnic and gender opposite. Oh and have the dialog bogged down with leftist-propaganda and echo-chamber style self-affirmations.

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tvc-15 said:

. I will say that writing Guy Gardner ended up being probably the most fun bit here.

Writers always have fun with guys, the main problem arises when they meet girls.

#BadPunSaturday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_krown said:

Totally. They should also go the route of forced diversity. Have every single super replaced by their ethnic and gender opposite. Oh and have the dialog bogged down with leftist-propaganda and echo-chamber style self-affirmations.

Exactly! Where is the progress DC? Why isn't Superman a woman and gay? Batman should replaced by Latino. The Justice League should be spreading the leftest ideals! Also change Wonder Woman's name to Captain Wonder. The gender identifier is unnecessary. You know... for sec I step back and thought "...oh my goodness,someone at Marvel actually ok'd all those things".

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doc-holiday said:
    @king_krown said:

Exactly! Where is the progress DC? Why isn't Superman a woman and gay? Batman should replaced by Latino. The Justice League should be spreading the leftest ideals! Also change Wonder Woman's name to Captain Wonder. The gender identifier is unnecessary. You know... for sec I step back and thought "...oh my goodness,someone at Marvel actually ok'd all those things".

Worse yet, at Marvel, it's done with no thought. That failed Angelyne, sister of Thor series they bought the character from Image for, had Borr...father of Odin...making and I quote "unsolicited comments about Israel"...why? Why!? Why would Borr, the father of Odin, former ruler of Asgard, care at all about Israel?

Famorii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tvc-15 said:

Writers always have fun with guys, the main problem arises when they meet girls.

#BadPunSaturday

LURF

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Aunrael said:
    @abdullahzubair said:
    @tvc-15 said:

#BadPunSaturday

LURF

That's quite hurtful..

:(

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.