Follow

Crossover

Concept » Crossover appears in 4491 issues.

A crossover is when two or more universes collide and characters from two distinct universes interact.

Do crossovers help or hurt comic books and What is crossovers really ?

fmen2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

"Crossovers." In comic books , it's an inter-company were it's a one shot or miniseries like Superman meeting Spiderman in July 1981 ,by Jim Shooter and Marv Wolfman as an example . But my question comes in two parts.

1: Does a "Crossover" Help or Hurt comic books ?

2: Does a Charter like Green Lantern meeting Space Ghost count as a "Crossover"?

Now as for myself I love "Crossover" they are fun reads they can answer the question of "What If" , but I find for most part they don't really move the story along as far as Charter development and over all story arc , because like in the case of Superman meeting Spiderman that "Crossover does not come up in any of later arcs of either charter as far the stories go.

Now as far as a inter-company " Crossover " like Green Lantern meeting Space Ghost both own by DC Comics where it could impact the landscape of later arcs I don't see them as a true "Crossover" .

So back to my questions Do crossover help or hurt and what is crossover really ?

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@fmen2016:A Crossover is when two or more different series are part of a comon story. This means that each serie has at least one chapter dedicated to the comon story.

1. This totally depends on how the crossover happens and how the story is told.

2. Well if it's the two series having a comon story, yes it's a crossover. If it's juste the appearance of characters (one or more) from other series into a serie it is a team-up or a guess-staring.

Then you mention crossovers between two compines, these are usually non-canon and/or stand alone events.

One thing about crossovers is that they are hard to read if you like buying issuses. But as collected editions they can make very interresting stories because they imply different characters.

fmen2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By fmen2016

@jb681131: ok so let me ask you this should crossover have impact on the over all arc or not like superman meeting spiderman and does Green Lantern meeting Space Ghost who is own by DC comics be called a crossover vs a spin off ?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.