Follow

Creators Edge Press

Publisher »

An independent publisher of a variety of books founded in 2010 in Puyallup Washington by the staff and friends of Comic Evolution.

Indypendently Speaking: Creators Edge Press Previews

Avatar image for hrdwrkngxsoldier
    hrdwrkngXsoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 127

User Lists: 2

Edited By hrdwrkngXsoldier

Creators Edge Press PREVIEW and Insight

Knowing the creators and sinister minds behind the titles released at Creators Edge Press has allowed me to obtain some preview material for a couple of books that are coming out this fall.   As always you can go to their homepage www.creatorsedgepress.com to order books for yourself or your shop.   (If you don’t own a shop be sure to inform your LCS of the insanity that their readers are missing out on.)

STINK #1

Writer: Chuck Messinger

Pencils: Kurt Belcher

Inks: Mike Lail

This book has me the most excited for release this fall, all because of how it came together.   Basically one day on the Creators Edge Press Facebook page, Chuck asked everybody what his next book should be about.   (Here is the link to the page www.facebook.com/pages/Creators-Edge-Press , the discussion happened in the February timeframe.)   Do you have to know this to enjoy the book?   No.    The writing is hilarious, the story is mind twisting, and the art is everything you could expect from a fantasy world gone wrong.   However, not having that prior knowledge may cause suspicions that the creative team may have had some inspiration from Timothy Leary.   Yes.   It is that wacked out.

Bringing together an eclectic cast of characters including a chain-smoking unicorn with a magic fanny-pack, an unemployed fairy-god-parent (his last ward was a famous NW alternative rocker), and a Frog that thinks he is a prince.   These are just three guys traveling North on the I-5 in search for some “action.”   Along the way the reader is introduced to some other interesting characters.   My favorite is a mutant that was dealt an awful deck of cards with a power set that includes regeneration.   Too bad the other powers are to be made of hamburger meat and have mustard for blood.

All of this happens as a result of the big STINK!   I don’t want to give that away though, but this is the best unicorn adventure since Charlie went to .   I do have to warn people that this is a mature material and could offend those sensitive to graphic language, violence, explicit content, and members of PETA.   I’m sure just about everybody else will love it.

Just another Victim

Writer: Chuck Messinger

Art: Thiago Castro

This story is a follow-up to Messinger’s first graphic novel, Breakfast with Rob.   You won’t have to have read BwR in order to enjoy this story, but if you are a fan of well written story driven content you should pick up both books.   Those familiar with BwR may try to read a little too much into the book and look for some continuity.   The one thing you should concern yourself is the little details.   I don’t know what it is like to be a single mother that attends AA type meeting.   I know Chuck hasn’t had that life experience either.   I will be interviewing him for a future blog later and be sure to ask him where his inspiration came from for the lead in this book, because I think he nailed it.   Just like Breakfast with Rob, Just Another victim seems to be much more about the human condition and perspective than it does being trapped in a horrible zombie apocalypse.

Thiago Castro continues to improve with his art and it has consistent coloring with the previous story.   I think readers and fans of the genre will definitely love this book and beg for more, be sure to check it out.

Jeff #1

Created, Written, and Illustrated by Travis Bundy

I want to assure everybody from the beginning that the idea for this book came well before anybody knew what Brutal Legend ever was.   Sometimes it just takes indie creators a bit of time to get things together.   After reading just a couple pages of this the reader will see off the bat that this is anything but a rip-off.   There are similarities but they stop at the fact that both characters are transported from one world to a world of fantasy and use an axe.

The writing will keep you laughing but engage you enough to keep you reading and in the end you will want some more.   If you like the Brutal Legend game, you’ll like this.   If you have no idea what I’m talking about and you ever played a game of D&D or some WoW then you will like this.   If you still don’t know what I’m talking about…buy it anyway there is no reason you wont like it.  I have to admit as a character I like Jeff.   I feel like I know him.   I think everybody does.   Bundy does a great job just making this fantasy incredibly relatable.

There you go, a preview for some very different books that push the limits of both fantasy and reality.

Thanks to Chuck Messinger and Creators Edge Press for the preview, I am definitely excited for these guys and the quality writing that they have been turning out. If you can’t wait for your hard copy of these books you can check out the digital versions for your Ipad and other gadgets at http://apps.creatorsedgepress.com/2010/06/23/stink-1-available-now/    

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By xerox_kitty

G-Man Said:

"This board will be for my posting of comic book previews.  Babs and I should be the only one posting here.  Often there are certain politics involved with posting certain previews.  Previews should not be posted by others unless you obtain my permission.  Once  a preview is posted, you are welcome to discuss to your hearts content."

Purpose Of This Board

You've been on Comic Vine long enough to understand how the forums work.  Let's not make this silly mistake again.    

Avatar image for hrdwrkngxsoldier
    hrdwrkngXsoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 127

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By hrdwrkngXsoldier

sorry, didn't know that.  I actually don't post on the forums that much and just thought that previews is where this belonged so nobody had to move it.  Backfired I guess.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.