Follow

Convergence

Story arc »

Thought to have been erased, the Pre-New 52 universes remain under the control of Brainiac, until a new being by the name of Telos interferes with them.

Spoiler: The Future of the DCU Revealed in CONVERGENCE #8

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

One last warning: The true intentions of CONVERGENCE is about to be revealed here. If you don't want it spoiled, back out now.

With CONVERGENCE ending today, most people thought that DC would be heading into a single universe era, getting rid of all these other universes, since the whole point of CONVERGENCE was putting one world against each other where only the strongest would survive. However, what actually happened was the exact opposite.

In CONVERGENCE #8 Waverider (Booster Gold) brings back Brainiac and he works with Telos to put everything back together or "reset the universe." However, there's a problem...

CONVERGENCE #8 by DC Comics

The First Crisis, Crisis on Infinite Earths, which took the original multiverse and streamlined everything down to one world, needed to be changed. Flash and Supergirl head back, knowing their fates, but the change here is that Parallax/Hal doesn't want to go back. He wants redemption. The whole point of all of this is to prevent the multiverse crashing in on itself.

The collapse of the multiverse is prevented and everything is going to return to the way it was, before their worlds were ripped into Convergence.

All the worlds from Convergence exist, but updated and evolved. That means characters like Captain Carrot, Ted Kord as the Blue Beetle, Kamandi, and many others now exist in their various worlds in the DCU, post-Convergence.

During the final moments of this issue, we learn that the characters of Earth-2, who were homeless after their planet was destroyed, are still on the planet where the battles of Convergence took place, but it's been moved back to their universe and is now sprouting life: New Earth-2.

For a two-month event where these two issue stories felt like throw-away stories, meaning they'd have no long-term repercussions and were nothing more than "fun," the Convergence tie-ins seem to be a looking glass into a world that DC could visit again, since all these characters still exist. Fans of Blue & Gold, Zero Hour, Crisis-era characters, and various others know that there is potential for new stories within the current DCU.

What did you think of CONVERGENCE #8? What are you hopeful for?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I really don't get it.

So does the convergence worlds still exist in the multiverse but occupy the same space as the New 52 ones?

Or they became the New 52 ones?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 inferiorego  Staff

I really don't get it.

So does the convergence worlds still exist in the multiverse but occupy the same space as the New 52 ones?

Everything exists now in this multiverse, some like the original, some evolved. The title "New 52" no longer exists.

zackisme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Well this event sucked balls.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So old Pre COIE multiverse mergers with new 52 multiverse? Does that mean DC has a Megaverse or are we back to Hypertime? No this isn't confusing at all, good job DC.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

I really don't get it.

Everything exists now in this multiverse, some like the original, some evolved. The title "New 52" no longer exists.

So for example the Post-crisis earth is now Earth-0? Meaning post-crisis Superman "evolved" into the New 52 one.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the f@ck?!?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 inferiorego  Staff

@inferiorego said:
    @squalleon said:

I really don't get it.

So for example the Post-crisis earth is now Earth-0? Meaning post-crisis Superman "evolved" into the New 52 one.

The New 52 characters are evolution of Pre-Flashpoint characters. I have no clue what the Earth numbering is at this time, since everything exists and things are most likely shifted around. However, Zero Hour era characters exist in their own universe, and I'm pretty sure COIE-era characters do. We'll learn more eventually

VickBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By VickBat

Demasiado bueno para ser verdad ... The Big Brainiac ayudando a restablecer el multiverso ... No ha sido nada especial ...oh, no, the death of Thomas Wayne Again ...

Brainiac: Sólo porque me afecta adversamente

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

For my own sanity I'm just going to ignore all this and read the books I've been reading.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MAZAHS117

Umm *scratches head*

I think the answer is -2...but I'm terrible at word problems O_•

Someone might want to check my math

smeltn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SO wait.. What happened to Flash and Supergirl?

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I haven't been following this so I don't really get it.

All I know is that as much as I love Pre Crisis DC I don't think it's necessary to continue telling stories with old continuities.

Also didn't we already know these Earths existed thanks to Grant Morrison's guide book?

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This event was crazy fun!

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not reading Convergence, so I might be missing something, or completely misunderstanding, here. It sounds like nothing has changed other than Earth 2 is now called New Earth 2, and an acknowledgment that other universes still exist, and the characters within them, that may or may not be used in the future.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How foolish I was to think that DC would simplify their convoluted universe in order to make it reader friendly.

They've 'profited' for years off this inconsistent mess.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By righteous300

Not exactly sure why this is hard for some to understand. If anything I think it's a good idea. Leaves room for them to revisit other types of characters and such.

EddieHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By righteous300
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EarthsMightiest

Coming from DC in 2020 is the Convergence of Final Flashpoint Armageddon Hour on 52 Infinite Earths....our last Crises we promise!

FIXER22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't read this. Basically the new 52 is still around, only it's not called new. the pre -new 52 is back, but all the other universes that were around before the multiverse collapsed is back also? so in essence. the multiverse, the post crisis universe, and the new 52 are ALL around? that should make people happy. Everyone gets the universes they want now. Maybe I can read DC again. I hate the new 52. love the old 52, never read the pre crisis books. That's a hell of a lot of Supermen. OH CRAP Superboy prime is back then.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AwesomePerson

Can someone explain this to me?? In words that I could possibly understand???

Because I have no idea what I have just read...

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a Batman on the forefrone of every universe. my goodness

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

Yeah I'm confused because of the timey whimey nonsense not being grounded in character but that's a different issue. Huzzah that everything is "back" (even though it never existed because I'll make hypertime a thing HA).

And hey the E2 Society preview was actually pretty good.

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
    knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Sounds like this whole event just set up Multiversity a year after Multiversity even started

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

You made it more confusing, DC. That deserves props.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From my understanding... DC Universe is now like how the current Marvel Multiverse is. Except that Battle World is going to make Marvel Multiverse similar to how DC Universe was pre-convergence. It's like DC and Marvel switched hats basically.

BattleWorld is going to make One main earth

Convergence is going to make multiple universes.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One thing for sure. The title of this event is very misleading...

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what an awesome issue to end just a great event I really enjoyed and loved.So happy for Earth 2,and was just nice to see alot of these heroes from the multiverse.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So after some events Brainiac decided to learn and in process was changed by this events and after reliving them changed this events? %)

scrawlx101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By scrawlx101

so nothing changed except there are now multiple planets with different versions of characters?

Snipergallo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I haven't read the issue, will do it after violin, it looks like a result no one expected (and kinda messy) but I wonder how much time will happen when DC will unite all universes in one?

Still, there is potential for a lot of good stories, let's see what the future will bring

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When they said they were taking the emphasis off continuity, they weren't joking.

worldFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By worldFlash
    worldFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrtummytumms: Thats because most people don't like to think and when they do it hurts their brains.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The repercussions of the poorly thought out Flashpoint decision continue to manifest. It never made sense that a change in a timeline resulted in an entirely new Universe.

This also seems like a lazy conclusion. DC already had a multiverse, and I'm sure there was a more elegant solution than simply undoing CoIE. Like maybe just keep some of the universes and expand the multiverse past the arbitrary 52 that DC was attached to.

On the upside, I didn't see this coming. I figured everyone would survive somehow, but did not see them doing it this way.

Whatever. I'm just glad the Post-crisis versions of the JL are restored, as well as the Injustice universe.

Hoping for some good stories in the future in spite of Didio's poor handling of the properties.

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this whole event was just so the Earth-2 heroes can regain their world? The one they failed to save from Darkseid?

deathcamps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For my own sanity I'm just going to ignore all this and read the books I've been reading.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what a waste of time and money for everyone who hoped for good to come out of this.

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By EarthsMightiest

@earthsmightiest: How is it confusing?

Could you please explain how the New DC Megaverse continuity works from back to present. Plus if COIE didn't happen, then the set up for The Darkseid Wars makes no sense: Justice League #40 makes a specific reference to COIE.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Loading Video...

Okay so allow me to give my thoughts as to what this means... Pre-New 52 has merged with New 52, thus meaning that hopefully somewhere down the line they just totally replace the rather lackluster and not all that compelling versions of Superman and any other character that DID NOT work in the New 52 with their Pre-New 52 selves.

For Earth 2, I'm assuming that this means the old Earth 2 is just gonna be home to the new ones with barely anything having changed in the grand scheme of things.... At least I hope so because Earth 2 ended on such an idiotic and COLOSSALLY stupid note that I despised it SO much....

Really this is almost adding up to Convergence being entirely pointless. UNLESS we get to see a lot of these Earths getting their own series then I could not care less.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@squalleon said:

I really don't get it.

So Multiversity is pretty much retconned?

FIXER22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have thought people would have been happy for this. Now we have the old pre- new 52 back ALONG with the new 52................................and every other DC universe ever created. WELL????? There's the difference between Secret Wars and Convergence. Marvel is collapsing it all.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok so is Pre-Flashpoint still around or not ?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Squalleon

@inferiorego said:
    @squalleon said:

I really don't get it.

So Multiversity is pretty much retconned?

I think everything was left as it is. Since all the new earths are the Multiversity ones.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Huh....hmmm...ehhh...wait..wait what?

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@z3ro180 said:

Ok so is Pre-Flashpoint still around or not ?

As far as I can tell, this is DC throwing their hands up in the air and saying "Ok every version of a character in every version of a universe is still around somewhere! Are you happy now!?!?!?"

juanclunac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fixer22: you have a point, people was asking for pre new 52 stuff, but you know... its DC so there must be hate.

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a solution.

Just go with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6078d92bc3efb
    deactivated-6078d92bc3efb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Ha, glad I don't spend any money on DC. A confusing and pointless event if there ever was one

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.