undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

This issue gives us a glimpse at Pre-FlashpointDick Grayson and Barbara Gordon as they adapt to life under Brainiac’s dome, and find them doing surprisingly well. Outwardly, at least. This issue mostly covers what’s been going on in the wake of the dome being raised, and goes into some incredible detail as to exactly how it’s been affecting the denizens of Gotham, even the criminal element is experiencing things in a way that one wouldn’t expect. Gail Simone returns to a pair of the characters she helped define, and she hasn’t lost a step. Seeing them together again is nice, and she writes them extremely well as a couple, but it’s truly the rest of Gotham that shines brightest in her writing. The scene with Mr. Freeze is very subtly disturbing, particularly with what we learn of Oracle and when the action jumps off as a pair of ruthless, vicious Thanagarians make their presence known, it feels like Simone has given us stakes worth caring about right away. There’s a great economy to how this issue is written, weaving in character development with flashbacks and even exposition that make it feel like not a single panel was wasted in telling this story.

Jan Duursema does well for the most part on pencils, moving through Gotham with a wandering, almost stargazing, pace that ensures the reader never gets lost while still keeping the pace moving enough that they also don’t get bored. The characters look good, especially in close-up where lost of finer details give a tremendous sense of emotional impact and help communicate without using too much text. Dan Parsons’ inks also help in that realm, making every smile, frown and wistful look have some real gravity and the punches and kicks that define the quick action have a kinetic force behind them. Wes Dzioba’s colors are bright and interestingly contrast the darker, more desolate tone of the story. It’s at the beginning of the issue where these look especially great, lending a sense of dusty dryness to the town.

The Bad

While this isn’t an action issue, the action we do get is overly chaotic and feels posed. Rather than capturing a moment in time, it feels like it’s capturing people who are standing still and when they’re at a distance, the characters become much less distinct and lose a great deal of the detail that makes other panels resonate so well. This wouldn’t be as glaring if the visuals in the issue weren’t so critical to conveying the story.

The Verdict

This is a clinic on how to make an effective, self-contained story. Whether a fresh-faced newbie or a seasoned, salty veteran this is a story that will resonate emotionally. Gail Simone adores these characters and that adoration comes through on the page, but doesn’t stop her from putting them through the ringer and taking them to their limits. The art conveys the writing wonderfully, and the story feels tremendously effective from start to end.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By youknowwhattodo

Definately one of the stronger issues to come out this week with solid art and a lot of great character moments.

One of my favorites was Poison Ivy helping to feed Gotham.

Scott Lobdell should take note as this is how you use narration boxes.

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Once Convergence is over, gonna miss this version of Nightwing and Oracle all over again. Very much enjoyed the artwork for this series.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@youknowwhattodo:

To be fair, he also needs to take notes in others areas as well

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fantastic issue. 10 stars out of 5. yes, i said it.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Poor mister freeze

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for victorcheenoanleu
    victorcheenoanleu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By victorcheenoanleu

Does is bother anybody else that freeze was in two places at the same time?

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
    Fastestmanalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was pretty solid. The art was fantastic. Am a little confused why Nightwing had a costume change but it looks ok so I'm fine with it.

The Flashpoint Hawks were also pretty cool and vicious.

Even though the new 52 Dick Grayson didnt change that noticeably from pre new 52 still seeing the old version of the character was really nice and makes me miss him.

Solid issue. 4/5 stars for me.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Only thing I didn't like was the fact that one universe was already killed off, off panel. I wouldn't have mind picking up a western JLA book.

BumBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BumBurger

When i saw Convergence was just basically the secret wars i immediately tagged out of the story.might still get the book to see the characters though

regiebravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved it. 100/10

Avatar image for handofprometheus
    HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Which Earth was those Hawks from feel like I missed it.

Xframe29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes poor mr freeze

Segal27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can someone please tell me when this story takes place? Wasn't Grayson Batman in the pre-new52?

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was so good to see Nightwing again (and his is proper colors, too!).

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dick was double dipping

KASPERCOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The story in this one was pretty good and the art was pretty solid. But I don't care about Hawkman and Hawkgirl, especially these versions.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Which Earth was those Hawks from feel like I missed it.

They're from Flashpoint. It's only mentioned in the solicits, because there's no real way for a character to organically refer to their homeworld as "Flashpoint," or what have you.

This issue was pretty solid. The art was fantastic. Am a little confused why Nightwing had a costume change but it looks ok so I'm fine with it.

The Flashpoint Hawks were also pretty cool and vicious.

Even though the new 52 Dick Grayson didnt change that noticeably from pre new 52 still seeing the old version of the character was really nice and makes me miss him.

Solid issue. 4/5 stars for me.

...umm. This. Exactly. Word for word.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@segal27 said:

Can someone please tell me when this story takes place? Wasn't Grayson Batman in the pre-new52?

Loading Video...

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mfundroid

Dick and Babs for life! However, I also love Dick and Kory, I just hate how Kory is made into a home wrecker. Dick is such a douchebag. This issue was the bomb diggity, how dare you give a 5/5 stars comic book a 4/5 stars review :D

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had high hopes for this issue that werent quite met loved seeing the versions of these characters that I know and love but the whole plot seemed a little weak

Zelos797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I really liked this issue. Can't say I'm too impressed with Convergence overall though. The Convergence issues themselves are decent and I liked this one but I did not really enjoy Speed Force that much to my surprise. I just don't dig the event as much as I thought I would.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure if others would agree, but I feel like there was nothing romantic going on with Dick and Kory. I mean, sure, she makes it kinda obvious that she still has feelings but I don't think he's cheating on Babs with her. He just invited her to talk about the proposal. If it was Donna instead of Kory, everyone would be like "oh, they're just being sibling-like". However, since Dick and Kory had a history, I feel like people aren't giving these two the benefit of the doubt.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked this issue.

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
    QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked this, the artwork was great and loved seeing Dick and Babs together again!

UltronMk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fantastic issue. Convergence has come out strong IMHO. I thought the tie ins would be hit or miss, but after reading Titans, this and convergence 0 and 1 I've enjoyed all 3. And I've seen good reviews for the Question and Superman (which I haven't gotten to read yet but I will). Overall this will be s strong even if it keeps this pace. Thought this issue was excellent. Makes me want more of this version of the characters.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@segal27 said:

Yea it takes place a year after we last saw them...but Bruce is alive and well and their both trapped in the same city under a dome trying to keep order. Why confuse the issue with 2 Batmen?

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

It is beyond amazing to see Oracle again. It feels like she was never gone.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.