inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

This two part story is much more about the journey of Guy Gardner more than the Green Lantern Corps as a whole. There are a few team-work moments towards the end of the issue that will get fans pumped up as Hal, John, and Guy take on a giant, but that's not really the heart of the story, much like with the first issue.

Guy Gardner is pretty awesome in this issue, and that's obviously the most important part of this two-part CONVERGENCE tie-in. Here's a few quick notes on Guy's awesomeness: He hits a dragon in the face with a baseball bat, while on a motorcycle. He makes friends with a dog. He wins an armwrestling contest by going Over The Top, and he punches Hal in the face because Hal totally deserves it. I would love to see David Gallaher and Steve Ellis get a chance to tell their own Guy story, together, rather than something that's part of Convergence. I'd like to see this writer and artist with a bit more freedom since they have a great handle on the character.

Ellis, along with Ande Parks on inks and Hi-Fi on colors, really make this issue a lot of fun. The art and writing have similar tones, and anything that comes off as a little more fun really works for a Guy Gardner story. Never forget, this is the dude who had his own bar, "Warriors." Ellis' style gives this book an animated feeling, especially with Parks' thicker ink lines and Hi-Fi's colors, which makes the book feel like an early modern age book, around the early 90s/late 80s, so it hits it's mark well.

The Bad

The book starts off by skipping a beat. The idea that these heroes just rushed off to battle, in between issues, is pretty nice, so there's no wasted pages, but readers will start off a tad lost, like they missed something at the end of issue #1, since issue 2 starts off with Hal in the clutches of a giant.

The second issue, overall, did lose me a bit. We get a lot of great moments with Guy, who is written incredibly well, but the overall story feels a bit rushed which is not so much on the creative team as it is on the event itself.

The Verdict

As far as this goes for a Guy Gardner story, it's awesome. It's a really fun issue, even though it doesn't live up to the first part of this two-part story. Guy's journey is what fans will love and they'll really be rooting for him. The issue does start off in the middle of a fight, which could make readers feel like they missed something and the overall issue does feel rushed because of restraints for this book, but overall, this was a really fun read and if you loved the first issue, you should check this one out at well. It's a fun read for fans, but just an alright book overall.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Terrible issue. I must be the only who loved how convergence started but hates how it's turning out to be. Two issue tie ends aren't enough to tell a story.

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No one does heroes vs. heroes better than Marvel. That being said, I haven't been too impressed with convergence thus far. It's had some cool moment, but as a whole, not too pleasing.

Avatar image for spacemanspiff85
    spacemanspiff85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This read like really bad Guy Gardner fanfiction, to me.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Terrible issue. I must be the only who loved how convergence started but hates how it's turning out to be. Two issue tie ends aren't enough to tell a story.

I've disliked Convergence from the start.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.