Follow

Constantine

Series »

John Constantine, master of the occult, is our world's last line of defense against the supernatural. He fights to save the innocent, but is it too late to save himself?

Would Moving Constantine to Syfy Work?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

NBC's Constantine has been struggling to really find its audience. While the show is far from a failure, it's also not what television execs would call a success for a first season. The show has sat in "season renewal purgatory" as NBC has made no clear call on what to do with the show. It isn't cancelled, but no one has come out to say it's been picked up for another season.

However, there are some rumors that NBC may move the show to one of its other networks. According to Cinelinx, their sources say that NBC is toying with the idea of moving it to one of their other networks in order to give it a second season because they do not want to give up on the show. Cinelinx is clear in saying this is currently an idea being talked about and not 100%.

Where does NBC apparently want to move it to? Syfy, where a recent marathon of Constantine did extremely well. In addition, if this were to happen, the show would be getting rebranded as Hellblazer as well, which will make fans of the comic book extremely happy.

While reading that original rumor, the first thought that came to my mind, as a fan of the show, was "if you don't want to give up on it, then just order a second season of 13 more episodes." That fanboy, illogical, overly-emotional thought aside, could moving the show, to a brand new network, for a new season really work?

Constantine on NBC made fans happy because they got to see a version of Constantine that was, how do I put this lightly, a lot better than the film and featured a British actor cast as the main role. On top of that, fans feel like John Constantine was captured extremely well. The essence of the character is up on the screen and the episodes that were adapted from the HELLBLAZER comic were awesome. It felt like the writers of the show got it. So the writing was there and the acting was there but the fans weren't. It didn't get the viewers it wanted.

However, taking a look back at the Syfy marathon, which apparently did very well. Could Syfy be a good home for the show? The die hard fans will for sure come over and if you've been keeping up with what Syfy has been doing, then you know as of last September, they were working on developing four different properties based off of comic books including DMZ, LETTER 44, PAX ROMANA, and RONIN. Also, with 12 MONKEYS going strong (it's really good), this could be the perfect time for them to take control over a second season and really focus on making this show even better. Yes, it's possible for this show to get better... and darker. Going to Syfy could easily allow for this show to get darker and tell stories that would't work out on a major network.

No Caption Provided

Changing networks isn't a new idea for shows. It's happened in the past, like with ABC's Cougar Town, which found new life on TBS. The idea really could work and the regular Syfy audience could find Constantine to be something they love. However, there's got to be some downside to all of this, right? Well, chances of the budget being as high as the first season at NBC are relatively low. Sure, Syfy could pump money into it, but it won't make as much in ad revenue as a show on a major network. However, you don't really need a major special effects budget for the show, consider that many times, the angel Manny doesn't appear with his full wings, in all his glory. He just appears in human form, and not all of John's magic tricks really need special effects when practical effects are a lot cheaper.

Whether NBC goes forward with Constantine or passes it off to Syfy, the show needs to go on. It may not have found the audience NBC was looking for, but it is one of the, if not the best start to a television show based off a comic book property. Where do you think Constantine should go? Should it stay on NBC or go to Syfy?

Sychotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Let's hope so! Show is really great.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

I just want another season.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I think it's a great idea, especially considering the creators would likely have greater creative license and could abandon the procedural format (if they desired.)

Dapperpomade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyway to get more Matt Ryan as John Constantine, I'm in. The 2nd season will be epic.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#5 inferiorego  Staff

Anyway to get more Matt Ryan as John Constantine, I'm in. The 2nd season will be epic.

As long as it doesn't go to CW, which is a rumor. But yes, more Matt Ryan. He's fantastic

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

maybe

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

As long as I can still watch is on Hulu!

Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue

Yes.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Moving to Syfy sounds like a good idea. I'm down with that

Avatar image for street_level_hero
    Street_Level_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish they had have moved Heroes to Syfy :(

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Yeah Syfy is the right way to go. They will get to go darker and won't after to pander to the teen market so much. Also John has never been about fancy "shooting fireworks out of your hands" style magic anyway so a lower budget shouldn't be a problem.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

nope. less viewers and less money to spend on the show. nbc should have never changed the timeslot and used more action in the show. it was too much like a supernatural procedural and they have that in grimm.

sbyrstall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Actually moving it off of Friday would be a better idea. I don't watch a lot of tv on a Friday night. By the time Saturday rolls around I do a forehead bop and say darn it.

Synack1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Constantine on NBC never made much sense. NBC would water down the character, much like the New 52 book did. But a second chance on SYFY, which has a history of creating excellent shows, battlestar, could be just what the show needs. If picked up, I'd for sure give it a chance.

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't watch anything on Syfy and don't know if I ever will but they need to take Matt Ryan, recast everyone else, and get new writers. Preferably someone who has a history with Constantine.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh no not SyFy, I think this show deserves better.

Still, I love this show and Matt Ryan so much I'll take what I can get.

#SaveConstantine

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How I read the Title: Would a Constantine Movie with Sci-fi work?

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MakkyD

Amazon might be another good choice, since they've shown interest in the show (they became the 'network' for UK audiences). Although it might be an extra expense for some people, streaming networks typically don't water stuff down and can have good budgets. Also, it's good for us international audiences :)

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh no not SyFy, I think this show deserves better.

Still, I love this show and Matt Ryan so much I'll take what I can get.

#SaveConstantine

Agreed.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'd still watch it on whatever channel, it doesn't matter to me.

Numbuh1Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That sounds pretty okay with me. It's infinitely better than having the show cancelled, anyway. I'm really hoping you're wrong about the special effects budget, since the show only seems to be going to bigger, more FX reliant places. Dr. Fate, Felix Faust, and the Spectre are either coming or are here, and they'll likely need the special effects a bit more than Constantine alone.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it would be a good fit. Syfy has had some ups and downs, but lately they seem to be refinding themselves and working on their quality a lot more. I think Constantine would work really well given the right scheduling and if paired with a good lead in.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SyFy would be a great home for Hellblazer

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

dammit I wish Constantine HELLBLAZER was on FX or HBO!

~MiB

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dapper_dan said:

As long as it doesn't go to CW, which is a rumor. But yes, more Matt Ryan. He's fantastic

This, I'm pretty sure Matt Ryan is Constantine, like they used some crazy magic and pulled him right out of a comic

Degalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Degalon

This makes me angry because its easily the BEST Live action DC show to date.

Been trying to watch The Flash and Arrow, but the terrible highschool drama CW writing leaves me cringing constantly.

Then again, I just watch it on Hulu. But if it goes to Sci Fi channel, then the special effects would probably go to hell.

Baggers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only option for UK viewers is Amazon Prime. They had little of no details about it - just appeared the day after it aired in the US. Great! So as long it doesn't change that, and Matt Ryan stays involved, all is good!

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will find this show wherever and watch it

Mokey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would rather the show die than suffer on SyFy.

botenmaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if syfy needs more money for constantine they just had to cancell defiance. And everybody'll be happy!

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This show lost me after the first episode.

ChocolateFrogs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Syfy has renewed their shows with less viewers and more FX (Stargate Universe, anyone?). So picking up Constantine shouldn't be too worrisome in the viewership angle.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.