Follow

Constantine

Series »

John Constantine, master of the occult, is our world's last line of defense against the supernatural. He fights to save the innocent, but is it too late to save himself?

Constantine "Non Est Asylum"

• 79 results
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

*This review contains some spoilers*

DC's invasion of the small screen continues! They have The Flash and Arrow on the CW, Gotham on FOX, and now Constantine has come to NBC. Essentially a crime thriller set in the fantasy genre, Constantine's first episode is pretty much all about telling viewers who John Constantine is and just how crazy the world around him truly is.

Actor Matt Ryan's a solid lead. Obviously, he looks the part and then some. Sure, he's not smoking (which seems silly to me considering we witness some graphic deaths, but whatever), but everything from the scruffy exterior to the attire rings true. He's not abrasive, yet he still sports a fair amount of sarcasm and snark. This balance -- along with Ryan's performance -- makes him a much more likable and humanizing character. When all is said and done, he's easily the most appealing part of this new show.

Some of the special effects aren't all that great (the opening action sequence comes to mind), but I admit that the horror elements and jump scares were implemented pretty well. Yeah, they're predictable, but little things like an eye flashing on a laptop or a light revealing a possessed character standing in the corner still gets to you just enough. Odds are you won't ever be afraid, but the thrills are still there. Additionally, there's some major fan service, especially when the characters enter the hideout. There's plenty of easter eggs scattered throughout and it makes you wonder if they're just there to please comic fans or if they'll follow-up with any of these potential story arcs. Here's hoping for the latter.

No Caption Provided

When viewers enter a world that's full of new characters, magic, demons, and all kinds of other fantasy elements, there's a lot to learn. Some degree of exposition is understandable and even mandatory, but it feels like Liv's character is there just for exposition. She's the oblivious human wandering around, asking questions and being told what's what. Instead of feeling like an actual character with real emotions, it seems like she's there just so we can learn about this new world. It really begins to add up and takes a toll on the pacing. Hopefully they can begin to make all of the necessary info dumps a little more organic as we move forward.

If you've been following news about the show, then odds are you heard that Liv Aberdine (Lucy Griffiths) was removed from the show and another character will fill the void. After watching this episode, I have to say that's good news. The character was just really bland and kind of annoying at times. Her responses to some situations seemed unnatural and other times it's obvious she's there just so we can get a ton of information. The fact the show has such a strong lead made this character seem even more disappointing. Complaints aside, the reasoning behind her departure is perfectly fine and it leaves me feeling a little more optimistic about the show's future. Also, I can't be the only one who was baffled when she walked right past police officers at the crime scene and they did absolutely nothing about it, right?

NBC's Constantine is off to an okay start. Ryan's a great lead, there's quite a few teasers and some decent thrills, but it's weighed down by a mountain of exposition and this episode basically feels like a zero issue. It's there to establish all of the basics before getting into any of the really good stuff. Yes, pilots have the tough task of setting the stage for what's to come, but this one didn't really have any jaw-droppers and the biggest positive is the excellent lead character. The potential's definitely there; now it's just a matter of seeing if they capitalize on it!

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Loved it espically the nod to Dr. Fate

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I didn't get to see this on TV tonight, but I did see the pilot, and for a pilot it was really good. I have not liked any of the comic book shows we have been getting, but this one could be really really good. Constantine is an A list character that actually works on TV just as well as film (although according to Guillermo del Toro, we may see Matt Ryan on the big screen in a few years). I can't wait to see where this is going, and I hope it doesn't get canceled, because everyone behind this seems to be doing their best to make this a good and faithful adaptation. So be sure to support it everyone, especially if you like any of DC's magic based characters.

Also remember, NBC has the highest cancellation rate of any network (yes higher then Fox) if you want this to stay, be sure to tweet like crazy (because networks are now using that as a rating system) and buy the DVD.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

i liked it . even tough the ending reminded me of heroes

KINCART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 35

#4  Edited By KINCART

@captainmarvel4ever: The one that aired tonight was different from the one that got leaked so if you get a chance to watch the tv version do it because some things were changed.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

#5  Edited By SynCig

Loved the pilot. I'd definitely go 4 stars. It has room to grow but Matt Ryan was an absolute delight as Constantine and I am super pumped for the future of the show. My only issue was Liv but she has been written out of the show already so that won't be a problem going forward. I liked this pilot more than I've liked Gotham, Agents of SHIELD and most definitely more than Arrow in it's inception. I'd say this was on par with The Flash, which I also love.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kincart: I figured some things would be changed.

@syncig: I'm also sad to see her go, I really really liked her.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@kincart said:

@captainmarvel4ever: The one that aired tonight was different from the one that got leaked so if you get a chance to watch the tv version do it because some things were changed.

Oh is it? I DVRed it even though I'd already seen the leaked pilot and wasn't crazy about it.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

If this image Matt Ryan Tweeted doesn't say he was born for this role, I don't know what will :)

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

@captainmarvel4ever: I'm actually glad she is gone. I understand the confusion. My wording wasn't the best there. I had issues with Liv as a character. She felt completely out of place. I thought the actress was fairly sub-par as well which really showed when her and Matt Ryan were together. I didn't hate her character but I don't think it would have been a good move to make her John's "side kick" like they intended.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 the_stegman  Moderator

It was okay for a pilot episode, not great but not terrible either. Also I'm glad that actress is gone, she wasn't really that great at all.

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

My biggest problem with the episode was Constantine's little tag-along. The episode could have been instantly improved just by leaving her out completely. I really hope the character they're writing in to replace her fits more organically into the plot.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syncig: I actually thought the actress did a good job because I too hate the forced female sidekick thing, but I thought she was good. Still, no major loss because everything else looks like it was ripped trait from the pages of the comic.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I missed it!

Avatar image for blueninjapanther
    blueninjapanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a very good show. Very interesting. I saw a little bit Dr. Fate there.

Blackice709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wanted this to be about constantine not that thing! >.>

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Makes me wish I read Hellblazer :/

Liked the pilot and can't wait for the next episode.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

lol, I just found another Tweet from another cast member, that is pure Constantine

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pokeysteve said:

The comics are all on sale for about half price on Comixology, and tomorrow select stores are giving away free horror comics, so it's the perfect time to start reading.

WilliamYates8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't gotten around to watching it yet on TV but I loved the pilot. I thought the choice to drop Liv was smart, I wasn't a fan. I'm also glad his smoking is referenced, but it wouldn't have made me not watch it if he was a non smoker. I can't wait for the next episode!

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The pacing was so....

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

It was okay for a pilot episode, not great but not terrible either. Also I'm glad that actress is gone, she wasn't really that great at all.

This sums it up for me. Pilots never tend to be all THAT great, since they need to establish the world, what's going on, and answer questions the viewer is going to have as to what exactly this new world is all about.

3/5 seems fair. The lead was fantastic, the easter eggs where pretty cool, and despite the annoying side kick I did enjoy it.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have only watched the first version. I didn't mind the character that much. I think there was some emotions about her farther and mother. Besides you can't expect a pilot to have emotions for all the characters that will come as the show goes on.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Was that Pandoras Box I saw or was I imagining things?

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Cloakx14

its ok.

Loki2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Loki2u

I really enjoyed the pilot! I've never read a Hellblazer or Constantine storyline so I am unfamiliar with the mythos. I was able to get a grasp of what was going on, and I think I enjoyed the show that much more because I had no idea what to expect and was able to view it without prejudice perhaps like a non-comicbook fan might.

I actually enjoyed this pilot more than Flash and Gotham and will be along for the ride of this show.

I agree with your review on Liv's actions being innapropriate and I think Ryan was excellent.

You mentioned they will replace her with a different character. Does that mean no more Liv, or a different actress will be playing Liv?

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What are the changes in the new pilot??

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I gotta see it. When do they show it again?

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Billy Batson

@pokeysteve said:

The comics are all on sale for about half price on Comixology, and tomorrow select stores are giving away free horror comics, so it's the perfect time to start reading.

Only the first eight new trades, City of Demons and Shoot are on sale. The rest are in normal price.

BB

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@loki2u: Liv's character is being written out entirely. The lead female role will then be a character called Zed, played by Angelica Celaya.

I think the creators of the show mentioned that they decided on having a character who was on a little more even footing with Constantine.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm mainly a Marvel guy- but I'm a sucker for DC's supernatural/horror characters, esp. John Constantine, Swamp Thing, Phantom Stranger, Dr. Fate, etc. & supernatural-type shows in particular, was already watching this channel since Grimm came on beforehand, another of my favorite shows. I got really excited for the show after seeing more & more scenes of Matt Ryan in the role, & he is a spot-on John Constantine! The attitude, the snark, some details of his hard early life, his love of punk rock- love that they focused on such a pivotal event in John's life like the Newcastle Incident, & I loved the Dr. Fate nod! It just brought a smile to my face. All in all I walked away pretty satisfied; it makes up for the awful Constantine film. Matt Ryan IS John Constantine! Really great start; every pilot has its slow points to start off, but I think they'll get the feel with each new episode...as long as they keep this up, they've got a weekly viewer out of me. Always love shows where there's a new supernatural threat to be faced, with legend/mythology mixed in, something that the Hellblazer/Constantine comics pretty much defined more creatively than anyone else; can't wait to see what John's facing next, & what Easter Eggs we'll see in the future! (I'm hoping one day we'll see the Trenchcoat Brigade!!)

Schmidty816

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really enjoyed the episode and looking forward to where it's gonna head. It gave me a very big "Dark Doctor Who" kind of vibe, which I really liked.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JonSmith

I am counting down until the lady dies. I'm not even going to bother remembering her name. She's dead. It's coming. If she makes it through the season, I'll be very disappointed.

Avatar image for mister_sensational
    Mister_Sensational

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noj said:

Was that Pandoras Box I saw or was I imagining things?

Indeed it was! And I totally had a nerdgasm when I saw it and Doctor Fate's helmet, but unlike the helmet I totally didn't see that one coming. ScreenRant.com also pointed out that the wand of Ibis the Invincible can be seen just behind Fate's helmet but I don't know much about that character.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

i enjoyed it! It had a very vertigo feel to it. I was hoping they would show his younger days as well. And the effects were pretty neat too! I hope this guy stays in the movie universe and has crossover with arrow or Flash.
    Just one complain

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Pass

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish Zatanna was in this show...

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

#40  Edited By StMichalofWilson

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC is having a Hellblazer sale right now on their digital site. Collected books for only $5.00.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#42 k4tzm4n  Moderator

I believe I saw a Zatanna easter egg. Could have sworn I saw backwards writing for a split second in the place I think we should call "The House of Easter Eggs."

Numbuh1Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really loved it. Liv does seem a little pointless, but luckily enough, now she is! I just wonder what they're going to do about that whole trouble-detection thing she could do (can't remember what it's called) now that she's leaving, since that seemed to be what they would be using to set up our weekly plots. I'm looking forward to seeing the magical side of the DCU take the stage, especially Dr. Fate, Zatanna, and hopefully one of my favorites, Etrigan.

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By viin

I thought it was pretty good..better then Gotham and Agents of Shield..I would say definately has potential to be better then arrow and flash but we will have to see what happens.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@awesomeperson said:

I believe I saw a Zatanna easter egg. Could have sworn I saw backwards writing for a split second in the place I think we should call "The House of Easter Eggs."

She's going to be in the show at some point.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Easily the best pilot of the comic tv shows.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

_ANDY_CAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NBC should cancel this show and let Guillermo Del toro direct a justice league dark movie with Matt Ryan.

WheatStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Written by Goyer" should come with the same red-flag avoid-at-all-costs warning "Directed by Bay" does, now.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.