Follow

Constantine

Series »

John Constantine, master of the occult, is our world's last line of defense against the supernatural. He fights to save the innocent, but is it too late to save himself?

Constantine Episode 108 - "The Saint of Last Resorts"

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

*Yes, this review contains some spoilers. Leave now and don't come back until you've watched the episode!*

"What? You mean sister flirtatious? She started it!"

Last week's episode of Constantine was without question the best one yet. Unfortunately, this week's episode takes a wee bit of step back, but that doesn't stop it from still being all kinds of enjoyable. The best part about "The Saint of Last Resorts" is the way it focuses on John Constantine's personality. The show's given us a great insight into the lead, but the introduction of Anne-Marie, a former lover who's grown to hate John, really brings out some compelling conversations. Why does John have this attitude? Can we care about him or is he just too much of a jerk? Constantine's dialogue -- along with Matt Ryan's consistently awesome performance -- continues to have me totally captivated. Not once did I lose interest in seeing how he'll proceed in the case or how he'll interact with others. Yes, he can be a jerk at times, but man, he's quite the charismatic and likable jerk, isn't he? There's a good amount of banter which is sure to make you smirk, but there's some really heartfelt material in here as well as the story jumps deeper and deeper into his character. Aside from Anne-Marie, this case may not bring about interesting characters or especially powerful themes (you know, except for Constantine's inner struggle), but it does one hell of a good job humanizing Constantine and continues to make him the highlight of the series. It's only fair since his name is the title of the show, yeah?

Another cool part of this episode is there's several haunting and immersive shots. There's a look in front of a van and there's a tree lurking behind it. Light is spilling between the branches and fog slowly rolls across the ground. It's a terrific way to establish the scene and really keeps you on your toes. It always leaves you feeling like you're entering a place that isn't safe and anything can happen. No matter how far-fetched or nightmarish the thought may be, the show makes you feel like anything is possible in these settings. Even something brief like Constantine standing in front of the fountain as a full moon looms above him was an effective way to set up the situation. There's a lot of horror tropes when it comes to the demon, but the makeup was solid and they had plenty of creepy shots of the creature's disturbing hands. Speaking of twisted, the human fruit scene was seriously messed up and made quite an impact. It was a nice little dose of horror and gore without going totally over-the-top.

The material between Constantine and Anne-Marie is by far the highlight of the episode and the other situations just aren't quite as interesting. We're slowly beginning to learn more and more of Zed's past (her pictures were excellent in this episode, by the way) and watching her kick some butt instead of being helpless is good fun, but the tension and mystery wasn't that gripping. There's obviously plenty of potential for jaw-dropping developments after this cliffhanger, but for now, it kind of felt like one big teaser about the fact we'll eventually learn about her past.

No Caption Provided

My initial reaction to the cliffhanger with John was mixed. Right when it happened, my mind began to race and I thought of all of the other things they could have done. Why not just aim the gun at John and make him stay there as she gets away? Maybe shoot him in the foot instead of the gut? Still, given their history, John's blunt lesson (which is basically "you gotta do what you gotta do"), and the urgency of the situation, it's understandably why she made the harsh call and it was a fitting end to the main theme.

As for the case, it once again alludes to the bigger picture (one can never have enough hype for the future), but the situation with the demon and the family it's going after didn't feel up to par with many of the other cases. There was impressive makeup and some decent thrills, but it feels like it's just there to give us a little more of a look into who Constantine truly is. That's great and all, but more substance with the other events would have been really appreciated.

I'm so happy the show no longer tries to dance around the fact Constantine smokes. Hell, they even have a close-up of him lighting a cigarette in this one. They're done shying away from it and I'm glad because watching the way they'd try to cleverly avoid it was distracting (I know this didn't begin in this episode, but it's worth bringing up). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "yay for smoking!" but it's part of the character and to censor that while allowing so much bloodshed would be baffling.

Does anyone else find it a little funny that Chas is just kind of along for the ride? I dug the moment when he called out Constantine and did a bit of damage control -- it's a good contrast to John -- but, when you have a dude who can heal and he's wandering around the sewers with a knife, it feels like a bit of a missed opportunity not to put him to use.

"The Saint of Last Resorts" does a phenomenal job shining a spotlight on Constantine. The introduction of a former ally brings about some really engaging conversations and puts John's morals front and center. The episode's camera work, makeup, and locations generate an appropriately creepy atmosphere and we get not one but two solid cliffhangers! Both are sure to keep you wondering what'll go down in the next episode. Shows often have a rough first season, but Constantine continues to show a ton of promise. It would be incredibly disappointing if this doesn't get more time to grow because it certainly deserves it. It may not be all that scary and the action may not be executed all that well (I wasn't a fan of the quick cuts at the fountain), but the performances and the script are consistently strong and you can tell they're having a bunch of fun showing us more and more of this world.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Lazarus Pit confirmed.

AMajorDoubter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

UUUUURGH YES. As a Hellblazer fan, increasingly in fact, this episode made me incredibly excited.

Another member of the Newcastle crew pops up, THE INVUNCHE, 8th episode in a row (that's all of 'em kids) with John smoking, Zed/Mary! The Crusaders are heeeeeeeeeere. As a fan, I'm very excited to continue to see the developments there and how the writers work it out.

This is a 2-parter, which makes sense in terms of cliffhangers, so come January 9th... we'll see how it all shakes out. For what it looks like, a possessed John is always exciting.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Another good one. We're 8 episodes in; 4 of them I've really liked, the other 4 I haven't. I have come to look forward to Friday nights a bit more though. Hope the show continues past the 13 episodes.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Another fantastic episode, I really want this show to stay.

#SaveConstantine

WilliamYates8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a huge fan of "American Gothic", this episode might've been the most nerd excitement I've had with all the DC shows this season. January can't come soon enough. #SaveConstantine

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

This episode was a 5 for me. None of the episodes so far have been below a 4 in my opinion. I love this series. It's such a good time every week.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I loved it so much! (っ˘̩╭╮˘̩)っ

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@syncig said:

This episode was a 5 for me. None of the episodes so far have been below a 4 in my opinion. I love this series. It's such a good time every week.

Agreeeeed.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I loved it so much! (っ˘̩╭╮˘̩)っ

Are you sure it doesn't have to do with something hot and pink? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Crimz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Crimz

Loved the episode and can't wait till January, and Zed is just..... damn.

Dapperpomade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great review Gregg! This by far has been my favorite episode. Everything just hits it on the nail. Some wonderful character moments, giving them all more depth and understanding. The set pieces and direction were awesome. A certain scene reminded me of Exorcist 3 (not to mention a shout out to a certain god related to the 1st film). Matt Ryan continues to bring John to life, and I couldn't imagine anyone else in that role. Constantine is easily my fav DC Comics show, wait favorite TV SHOW on right now. Kudos to all involved in the production. Love it. #SaveConstantine

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Great episode! May like it more than the last, actually. Constantine's really shaping up. I hope it's rocky few first episodes haven't doomed it to cancellation.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Wow, after hearing so many good reviews I should really start watching this show again (I've stoped after episode 3, I think)

#savethewhales

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zed has an amazing ass. 10/10 would definitely bang. She is so hot. This show must stay on air.

#SaveConstantine

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I really liked the gothic horror they had in this ep

vasu12360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

Wow, after hearing so many good reviews I should really start watching this show again (I've stoped after episode 3, I think)

#savethewhales

Oh god yeah, 4 was the best imo. 4 Was the game changer that kicked the show into better quality.

vato315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want more 2 part episodes for Constantine. I just feel there is so much more depth that needs to go into a story of Constantine that one episode isn't fair. Love the idea of a cliffhanger every episode.

Avatar image for tylerdurden7272
    TylerDurden7272

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5/5 for me. I absolutely love this show and I agree with Gregg. I'm so glad they stopped dancing around the smoking. It comes with the character. Ether you get the cynic smoker Constantine or no Constantine at all. I find this show and Flash are battling it out for my number 1 spot every week and since Flash isn't coming back till January, I think Constantine will take my number spot. Love this show

Avatar image for completely_subjective_guy
    Completely_Subjective_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This review is completely subjective. Anyway... This is one of the best comic TV shows out right now! Its basically CIS featuring your favorite con man, John Constantine! Couple this with great acting, actual comic characters, an awesome plot, and a few DC references here and there, and you get perfection! I officially have a reason to watch TV again!

As far as the actual episode goes, I pretty much agree with this review. However, I do prefer last weeks episode. Manny is such a great character and that was the episode where he receive the most development. [Or at least at the moment.] The chat between him and the Fallen Angel had some of the best dialogue I've ever seen. Plus this where things really start catching steam. [At least in regards to the whole "Rising Darkness."]

But this isn't a review of last weeks episode. As I said, I pretty much agree with this review. [But I'm still somewhat swaying towards a five due to all the Hellblazer stuff in this episode.] But that's just my opinion.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@vato315: Well it's the first season, and any show's first season usually follows a creature of the week formula.

Radx_Konkin75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved this episode. Made me want to read Hellblazer #11 again.

Also, anyone else notice Zed wearing a thong? ;)

IAmTheCrowning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This episodes was great! Wonder how John wiggles himself outta this one.Oh and Zed is so darn sexy! Pink thong>>>>>>

ForeverMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

2 good episodes in a row now. It's a shame this show might be hitting its stride a bit too late.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just began watching this two days ago and now I really enjoy this. Don't watch much TV but got hooked on this. Shame I hope they don't cancel this. :(

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
    HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@radx_konkin75:

Loved this episode. Made me want to read Hellblazer #11 again.

Also, anyone else notice Zed wearing a thong? ;)

Oh yeah. I had to rewind it just to make sure that's what I saw! Yay!

hyperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

does anyone know what the name of the actor who played Eddie is?

Xframe29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#SaveConstantine

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This episode was great! The human fruit made me legit uncomfortable

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.