Follow

Constantine

Series »

John Constantine, master of the occult, is our world's last line of defense against the supernatural. He fights to save the innocent, but is it too late to save himself?

Constantine: Episode 104 - "A Feast of Friends"

• 50 results
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

A man brings back an artifact from the Sudan and a place officer breaks it, unleashing a whole bunch beetles which kill the officer. The man, Gary Lester, visits Constantine and tells John he exorcised a hunger demon from a man and put it into the artifact. The demon is inside the police officer and he's on an eating bender, but the host dies and the demon moves on. However, this demon is too strong for John to trap.

Zed finds something deeper and darker within Gary. This leads her to finding some clues about what type of demon this hunger demon is. John meets Nommo who can lead him to some answers that it is Mnemoth. They both learn where the demon came from and that it was purposely contained in the boy Gary found in the Sudan. In the end, John has to sacrifice Gary for the greater good in order to stop the demon.

No Caption Provided

Fans of the series HELLBLAZER will recognize this as the first story of the series, with a bit of a tweak. Originally, it was Papa Midnight who helped out John with figuring out what this demon was. This time, we have Nommo, a shaman. The change works fine, as Papa Midnight has been set up as more of an antagonist than anything else. Nommo is a pretty cool addition to the cast, especially if the character is who Justice League Dark fans think he is: Doctor Mist. Maybe we're seeing the early days of this character? This show teases characters and ideas, so far, a bit better than Gotham. They don't say the character's names over and over again and I don't feel smashed over the head with Constantine mythology. It's subtle.

It's refreshing to see such an iconic HELLBLAZER story line on the show. This is one I really was excited to see play out, even though it was very different from the original. The changes made to the story worked though and all-in-all, while it is just another villain (demon) of the week story, it provided a lot of fun.

John may not be as smarmy as he is in the comics, but I loved the moment when John walks into a eat locker and sees two dead bodies and changes the number of days before last incident. It's a fun little moment while he's surrounded by a much larger problem.

The series really is developing who John is though, rather than jumping into something larger, which fans new and old will appreciate. He's not the most powerful exorcist around and he is going to come up against forces he can't stop. He can merely contain them, for now. The writing team is giving us great moments of success and failure with this character. Here, Gary tells Zed the story of Astrid and what happened at Newcastle. John has demons in his past, no pun intended, and it's making his a more well-rounded character.

The only thing I'm not fully digging on is Zed. She feels like a brick wall in John's way. Chas is more of his post to lean on, but he's vacant from the episode. Sure, Zed growing as some form of mystic is a pretty cool feature, but her dialogues with John seem like moral battles that she refuses to back down from more than anything else. As of right now, she is the weakest link on the show.

A part of me and probably everyone else, wonders what this season is building towards. All we know is that there's a lot of crazy demon action happening around the city, but there haven't been too many clues to where this is going to lead John. However, being that it is the first season, there's still a lot to set-up, so there is a conflict there for fans.

NBC and DC throw some fun little Easter eggs into the show to keep fans happy. In one scene, there's a metal skull aka Pandora's Box that makes a cameo as John scratches some containment spells on a bottle. In previous episodes, we saw Doctor Fate's Helmet, and I have a sneaking suspicion that John's sanctuary is the House of Mystery.

All-in-all, "A Feast of Friends" is a great episode. This and last week's "The Devil's Vinyl" were the biggest hits of the season, but I'd probably put this episode a bit out in front because it was so heavily tied to that iconic opening HELLBLAZER story. It may not be the show fans of the comic want, but what Constantine, the show, does incredibly well is pull in that Sleepy Hollow crowd by giving them a horror-mystery show that's not actually frightening. Sadly, as I've mentioned on the Comic Vine Podcast numerous times, this show is in the time-slot of death, which doesn't show the network has a lot of faith in it. However, Constantine proves for a second week in a row that it is a fabulous show and it's truly capable of bringing these characters to life and reaching a larger audience. We're getting some emotional moments that really hit home to the viewers and its characters, and that's what's making this show a hit.

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

This was the best episode yet. Loved that it was faithful and did horror well

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

This was the episode that decided whether or not I continued watching. I liked this one considerably more than the previous 3, probably because I'm a sucker for the source material. There were instances in this episode where John acted like a real bastard, and I liked that, but he seemed to soften on Gary there at the end and it kinda' washed all the meanness away. Zed was utterly useless in the episode, as was the angel. I liked how weird the trip with Nommo got. The show could use more of that.

SoftMachineOo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

This show just keeps getting better. Hoping that they let it grow.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This show is great. Ill cry if they cancel it.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@timelord said:

This show is great. Ill cry if they cancel it.

^This

Like I said, spread this show, and Tweet about it, Twitter can be a huge huge boost for a show.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By eamon542000

Great show, scene in grocery store with the demon and the security guard was so well done

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Constantine is like what would happen if Sherlock and The Doctor merged, with a hint of Supernatural thrown in.

And his playing card reminds me of the Doctor's Lil paper that makes people see what he wants them to.

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 2

Easily the best episode so far. It was much more than just the villain of the week, it was a lot more personal and actually showcases one of the best traits of John Constantine that makes him such an interesting character. His willingness to do whatever it takes to save the bigger picture.

Also, I love that ending shot. Where we see John holding Gary's hand as he screams in agony for five days, and than Manny shows up to finally claim his soul and take him to heaven. The fact that they managed to showcase so much emotion with no dialogue and just one shot, shows that this show has so much potential to be great.

So far, this is the episode I would recommend to people who aren't sure about this show. My only complaint was that this episode had a severe lack of Chas, which they just brush off by saying he's "fixing his taxi." That was kinda lame.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This episode just renewed my faith in this show. Easily the best so far.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Crap! I always forget it's on /: Well, time to go try to torrent it for the 3rd week in a row.

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Happy to see this is improving

I want a Boston Brand appearance in the worst way

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

#12  Edited By SynCig

This would be a 5 for me. Loved every second of it. This show is hitting on all cylinders for me. I am a big Hellblazer fan (it is one of the greatest comics ever) and I have enjoyed each new episode of this show even more than the previous one. This and The Flash have both been blowing me away.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

One of the best EP so far.. I hope to see Z sometime in the future.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Oh my god, are they doing the insect demon story? That story was AWESOME!

WilliamYates8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely the best episode of the season. From an adaptation standpoint, I thought it was really well done. The path to the ending was different, but the result was the same, which I was happy with. Wish they would've had Midnite involved like the comic but I enjoyed the shaman character. Can't wait to see where they go from here.

CitizenJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CitizenJP

Loving this show. Matt Ryan is a great Constantine.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigl said:

This was the episode that decided whether or not I continued watching. I liked this one considerably more than the previous 3, probably because I'm a sucker for the source material. There were instances in this episode where John acted like a real bastard, and I liked that, but he seemed to soften on Gary there at the end and it kinda' washed all the meanness away. Zed was utterly useless in the episode, as was the angel. I liked how weird the trip with Nommo got. The show could use more of that.

I agree with both these statements. Loved the faithfulness to the source material, the use of Mnemoth, more horror & downright creepy moments, & John acting like a manipulative bastard, but all for the greater good, which is in true John Constantine/Hellblazer fashion. The entire ordeal with Gary was very intense, kinda leaves you with a foreboding feeling afterwards, but that's in true Hellblazer fashion as well.

Glad to see that I wasn't the only one who thought that the shaman might be Dr. Mist!! (I'm a compulsive Easter Egg searcher, always on the lookout.) I was thinking that the place John is staying at might be the House of Mystery, but I'm also leaning towards it being this universe's version of Wintersgate, Baron Winters' mansion(or Jasper Winters, as he's known here.)

All in all a great episode, I knew things would be picking up as the series progressed, people just had to give it a chance. Matt Ryan nails Constantine's character every time, from the snark(loved him messing with the days without incident sign), to his manipulative side as we saw here, & even his tragic side. If this show is cancelled, then there is really no justice in this universe!!

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Constantine is such a bastard.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First episode was pretty bad, but I saw sparks of potential in it.

Second was below average, but at least it was better than the first. The potential was still there.

Third episode was okay. I enjoyed Papa Midnite...even if the actor couldn't keep his Carribean accent in half his scene. =D

This episode was good. I picked up on the subtext of addiction being a demon (heroin, addiction to eating), but I'll have to watch it again to read more into it.

If only we could get a Midnite and episode 4 mixer.

TomHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TomHunter

I really want to see the character of JASON BLOOD / ETRIGAN appear in this series!!!!

And I totally agree that this was the best episode yet!

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@superguy1591: Not sure what it's about but either the next episode or the one after is John and Papa Midnite teaming up against something. Could be interesting.

Quite liked this episode, although I'm with Mat on this one, Zed wasn't at all compelling here.

Blackice709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this episode was kinda boring... maybe because i was sleepy at the time? :P

kevinn111111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigl said:

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
    feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By feedonatreefrog

Wow. This episode was awesome. Mega fan service as well. I don't see 'villain of the week' as a weakness. That's just like how Hellblazer started.

Zed is indeed the low point though, both the character and the actress, as hot as she is. I hope they don't feel the need to keep her around in each episode. Chaz isn't after all. I also like the idea of John having a revolving door of supporting characters.

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DrF8

Geez, i think i must start watching this series...

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

I agree that this was the best episode so far, and I liked that it used John's lore to elevate itself from the usual villain-of-the-week stuff. But I'm disappointed that Chas doesn't really seem involved in this show.

strangetales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best episode so far. Really enjoying the series.

I agree with a lot of the previous stuff mentioned with the lack of Chas And I could do without Zed

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really liked this episode.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#31 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Definitely the best episode yet. Thought the final scene was handled very, very well.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drfate said:

Geez, i think i must start watching this series...

Yes you should, this series is in danger it needs as many views as possible.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Now this is more like it.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

#34  Edited By akbogert

"I loved the moment when John walks into a meat locker and sees two dead bodies and changes the number of days before last incident."

Yup.

brentac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm probably done with the show. As I stated last week, I have never been a big Constantine fan and have 5 other comic shows that I am enjoying more.

Hopefully those of you who are fans of the character continue enjoying the show. For me, out of four episodes two of them (102 and 104) were really boring for me. One was entertaining (103) and the pilot was weak.

I'll probably read recaps in case any other DC characters I like show up. But I'm guessing they won't as I'm not big on DC magic characters in general.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@brentac: Funny enough is that DC Magic is way more deep that Marvel Magic but Marvel Cosmic is more deep than DC Cosmic

For me, This is such a great episode :)

brentac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By brentac

Well for what it's worth I'm not big on Marvel magic characters either.

Which is funny as I have nothing against magic in stories in general. Just the specific DC/marvel characters never "spoke" to me.

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really liked this episode, they got the tone just right it's a really moving show

Constantine doesn't kill or abandon his friends, but he gets the job done, even if it costs him everything. This show has really taken off, and while its not so much a superhero show, I think it's way better than Supernatural or crap like that, where the demons and ghosts are so ridiculous.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

The show is becoming better and better with each episode and I love that fact. Not that I am an expert or anything but I think that from all of the DC shows currently on air this is the best one.

Hit_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Couldn't make it all the way though episode 3. Didn't like 1 or 2 but judging by the posts on here. I think I'll give 4 a go.

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dat ending tho

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was pretty good episode, it's just I already read it in comic form which that form was better. I may be remembering the comic wrong but I felt Constantine screwed Gary way worse in the comic.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

DC Domination!

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was by far the strongest episode. As a long-time fan of the comics, this was a great adaption. Some parts actually freaked me out a bit. If this show continues to grow at this rate, it'll be a hit. I just hope it hasn't already lost it viewership.

Avatar image for tearofthedragon
    TearoftheDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brilliant episode, a 5. Loved the adaptation of the Hellblazer story and the emotion that showed John for what he is, the b'stard that will shoulder the burden off doing what is needed, no matter what. The meat locker scene was great as was the trip(loving some of the effects, although the Angels wings looked a bit iffy in more light). Agree with Zed being a weak link at the moment, need to get her into fishnets and a top hat ASAP but loving Matt's Constantine, nailing it for me. Hope it continues in this way but moving away from villain of the week format. I would love too see a crossover with American Gothic, bring back Lucas Buck my favourite character on screen, a battle of wills and deception would be off the chain(even if unofficially using the actor/sheriff design but never saying his name).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.