Follow

Comic Book Care

Concept » Comic Book Care appears in 52 issues.

Advice from other collectors on how to care for and store your books.

Stacking comic boxes - How high is too high??

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

So I have very limited space for my comics. I currently have one long box and 5 short boxes, all pretty much filled. The time is coming for another short box. All five short boxes are stacked on top of the long box. I feel like they are getting heavy and could possibly collapse. Or even worse, slowly bend all the comics on the bottom efore I even notice. Most everything is bagged and boarded but that is no defense against gravity and pressure.   

All my Silver Surfer comics are in the long box. I would be devastated if they were to be harmed.  

So the question is: How high can you stack them before something gives? Anyone have any experience in this matter? Surely some of you have far more comics than this. 

Avatar image for black_lantern_mar_vell
    Black Lantern Mar-vell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I've got about 6,000 comics.  All I use are the long boxes.  I keep them stacked 4 high in the same place for years.  Never had an issue with bending.  I think you're probably good, but I wouldn't go much higher.
    jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By jamesewelch

I think if  you wanted to be safe, I would stack the boxes crosswise at each level - like Jenga game. That way the weight would be distributed a bit better. I don't know if you could do that with a mix of short and long boxes. I only have 4 long boxes and will probably need to get another long box soon. I'm stacking mine 2x2 right now, but I had the same question about it.

Clara Mass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Clara Mass
    @Black Lantern Mar-vell said:
    " I've got about 6,000 comics.  All I use are the long boxes.  I keep them stacked 4 high in the same place for years.  Never had an issue with bending.  I think you're probably good, but I wouldn't go much higher. "
    Liar!  Most of my comics are good condition but once in a blue one gets bent and I get hysterical lol
    Avatar image for black_lantern_mar_vell
    Black Lantern Mar-vell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Well I've got 14 long boxes for all my regular sized stuff.  I actually do have 1 short box, that's what I keep the odd sized stuff in like Magazine sized comics (IE Conan Saga) and small paper back sized stuff (IE Archie Digest).  Been collecting since I was 11, I'm 37 now.  Again, I think you're good.
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#6  Edited By cbishop

I gave up the long boxes, because they're so freakin' heavy and unwieldy, when they get full.  I have close to 100 short boxes and magazne boxes.  I usually stop at 4 high, but it really depends on where you stack them.  I have a closet in an unused bedroom where I can store boxes 5 to 7 across (I forget), and 5 high, because they're all the way across the closet - there's nowhere for them to lean.  Out in the middle of the room, I stop at 3 or 4 high, because they lean a little more, sitting on carpet with no wall to support them.  I've noticed the box tops crush in just a tiny bit when stacked four or five high, but I've never had a problem with them falling through or bending any of my comics.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I've sealed myself in my room with mine

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By tonis

faced the same problem when I rearranged all my longboxes too.  
    I switched to a drawer based system so I could simplify access and do the stacking. With the cheaper housings I've found about 5 high to be the breaking point. The bottom boxes start to bow out from the weight. With some light boards in between each row for distribution I might be able to get 6 high but it'll make more sense to add another column than another row at that point. It looks something like this

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c80832cdb7ee
    deactivated-5c80832cdb7ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hell I have Alot of comic books too homie.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.