Clive Barker Returns To Comics In 3-D

Avatar image for gmanfromheck
Posted by gmanfromheck (42520 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided
Clive Barker has taken on different sorts of mediums.  He has been a brilliant novelist for some time now.  His movies have generated a bunch of sequels.  He is also an amazing painter/artist (check out his Abarat books or The Thief Of Always to see his art and paintings).  Clive Barker has worked on comics in the past.  In the 90s, Marvel adapted Hellraiser and Night Breed.  Clive also worked on Marvel's Razorline book, Ectokid.  We've also seen adaptions of The Thief Of Always and The Great And Secret Show at IDW.
 
Yesterday, IDW announced that Barker is making his return to comics with Seduth.  Coming in October, this horror comic (with the art team of Gabriel Rodriguez and Jay Fotos from Locke & Key and co-writer Chris Monfette) will be coming at us in 3-D.  According to IDW: 

In Seduth, Barker tells the tale of celebrated architect Harold Engle, who first glimpses the small cloud of darkness inside a glittering, priceless diamond, without any knowledge of the terrible plague contained within. Seduth follows Engle on a surreal journey through murder and madness to the very heart of existence and a terrible, impossible choice-to unravel the very fabric of the world, or to save it?

Clive Barker, himself, even gave his thoughts on the project:

I have always felt that comics as a medium are still in a relatively early stage in their development-there are so many roads still to be taken. It is a medium which can afford to take risks, and we're taking them. This is, in more than one sense, a dream project.  It is my first chance to co-produce with my best friend Robb Humphreys on a story that really touches our shared interests in the power of hallucinations and visions.  It also brought me together with Chris Monfette, who will certainly be a part of my creative life for many years to come if I have any say in the matter.  Add the art of Gabriel, the color of Jay and the amazingly mind-blowing talents of Ray Zone, this fulfills my dream of Seduth completely. 

What do you think?  Are you in the mood for a good horror comic?  Are you a fan of Clive Barker's?  Do you like 3-D comics?  Seduth will be a 32-page comic with no ads.  3-D glasses are included.
Avatar image for haloking343
#1 Posted by HaloKing343 (1355 posts) - - Show Bio

Horror comics haven't ever appealed to me. The genra of horror is best in films, where you can see things jumping out at you from corners. Next are novels, where the horror of it is entirely up to your interpretation. 
 
But horror in my opinion as never been too good in the comic medium. l wonder why l'm so strange.
Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
#2 Posted by defaultdefaultdefault (16426 posts) - - Show Bio

oooooh yes bebe! thank you G-man. hey, you read Creepy #1 yet?

Avatar image for gmanfromheck
#3 Posted by gmanfromheck (42520 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE said:
" oooooh yes bebe! thank you G-man. hey, you read Creepy #1 yet? "

 I have not.  I should track it down.
 
@HaloKing343 said:
" Horror comics haven't ever appealed to me. The genra of horror is best in films, where you can see things jumping out at you from corners.  "
But with a 3-D horror comic, you can have things jump out at you...okay, maybe it's not the same.
Avatar image for haloking343
#4 Posted by HaloKing343 (1355 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:  

@HaloKing343 said:
" Horror comics haven't ever appealed to me. The genra of horror is best in films, where you can see things jumping out at you from corners.  "
But with a 3-D horror comic, you can have things jump out at you...okay, maybe it's not the same. "


Probably not.
Avatar image for gmanfromheck
#5 Posted by gmanfromheck (42520 posts) - - Show Bio
@HaloKing343 said:
" @G-Man said:  

@HaloKing343 said:
" Horror comics haven't ever appealed to me. The genra of horror is best in films, where you can see things jumping out at you from corners.  "
But with a 3-D horror comic, you can have things jump out at you...okay, maybe it's not the same. "
Probably not. "
Maybe they could get someone to yell "boo!" behind your shoulder when you least expect it?
Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
#6 Posted by defaultdefaultdefault (16426 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for jadedfool
#7 Posted by JadedFool (21 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm looking forward to this.
Avatar image for 1eyejoker
#8 Posted by 1eyejoker (56 posts) - - Show Bio

The lamest kind of horror just relies on things jumping out, that's only good if you wanna hear people squeal like pig. If you're looking for something that'll put a real fright in you, literature is the best. Read some of H. P. Lovecraft's work.
Avatar image for hertelism
#9 Posted by Hertelism (7 posts) - - Show Bio
@HaloKing343: Your not Strange its just not your thing, as for me I love Horror/Comedy Comics it goes really well together like the Walking Dead series and Buffy the Vampire Slayer but idk sometimes Horror can be done really Corny but Mr.Barker is a Horror God so should be a fun read. 
Avatar image for foxxfireart
#10 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3645 posts) - - Show Bio

This makes me think of this experiment you can do with a horror movie. Watch a horror movie, but turn off the sound. You will find that without the sound and the music it's just not frightening.
If they go for the psychological aspect it's one thing, but slasher horror would just blend in with all the ultra violent comics out there.

Avatar image for ryanwh
#11 Posted by ryanwh (370 posts) - - Show Bio
@FoxxFireArt said:
" This makes me think of this experiment you can do with a horror movie. Watch a horror movie, but turn off the sound. You will find that without the sound and the music it's just not frightening. If they go for the psychological aspect it's one thing, but slasher horror would just blend in with all the ultra violent comics out there. "
Well that's not true. A lot of horror movies would be better without the music giving away every cue.
Avatar image for media_master
#12 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be neat to see a review of this

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.