Follow

Civil War

Story arc »

Following a catastrophic tragedy caused by superhumans, the US Government passes a Super-Human Registration Act that requires all super-powered individuals in the country to reveal their identities, disclose their powers and personal details, and register as government employees or risk indefinite incarceration. This causes a deep rift in the hero community, with some backing the Act while others oppose it.

Tackling This Huge Arc - Assistance Requested!

Mediant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By Mediant

So now, years later I'm trying to get into the Marvel Universe and I decided I want to start just before Civil War and work my way through the Civil War Arc. After doing some research I've come to realize what a huge task this actually is. I've seen the recommended reading order. I plan to use that, but I'm not interested in reading all of it-- the X-Men and Fantastic Four sections for example. 
    My question for those in the know is: Do I need to read every issue of the Arc to understand what's going on? Can I pick and choose the ones I'm interested in and read those 'in order' and still be ok? 
    I'd like to limit myself to: 

• The Road to Civil War TPB    
    • Civil War TPB
    • Captain America: Civil War
    • Civil War: The Amazing Spiderman
    • Civil War: Iron Man
    • Ms. Marvel: Volume 2: Civil War
    • New Avengers Vol. 5 - Civil War

As far I can tell, I should be able to start there and not be lost. 

Thoughts?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I think you could get by just reading the Civil War TPB. Marvel and DC both tend to use the tie in books to elaborate on the individual heroes perspectives. Personally, I think they're a waste of money.
    Mediant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mediant

So I can really just pick up the Civil War TPB and everything else is not required reading for understanding what going on?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

@Mediant:
    Pretty much.
    Mediant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mediant
    @Jake Fury: Good to know. Thanks!
    Tainted-Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Tainted-Cell

My advice would be to START with Civil War TPB. If you like it enough and are still interested in the tie-ins, then Frontline would be my next pick. Have to agree that the New Avengers issues were sorely lacking, with a general lack of focus extending from Luke Cage to Sentry, to Spider-Woman (well, not so much...) in separate and wholly unrelated events, with Luke's being the most relevant to the actual Civil War trade.

Spider-man is pretty good, and I would almost say it's an essential companion to the Civil War trade, considering how one of the issues starts abruptly with not much clarity or explanation. Surprisingly, of all the Civil War tie-ins, X-Men is the least important (and really just focuses on Bishop being Bishop).

Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Final Arrow

What I would suggest is check out the civil war tpb. If you find a story that comes up and you want to find out more about then buy the series of comics that follow that. There is a great story featuring Ben Grim and what he did during the whole Civil War which had nothing to do with the Main story it was just a bit of fun and I loved it. But you can pick and choose from the TPB what would be interesting from the TPB and go on. Frontline wont get much of a mention so im going to suggest picking that up anyway, but read Civil war and see if you actually like it first.

Tainted-Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Tainted-Cell
    @Final Arrow said:
    " What I would suggest is check out the civil war tpb. If you find a story that comes up and you want to find out more about then buy the series of comics that follow that. There is a great story featuring Ben Grim and what he did during the whole Civil War which had nothing to do with the Main story it was just a bit of fun and I loved it. But you can pick and choose from the TPB what would be interesting from the TPB and go on. Frontline wont get much of a mention so im going to suggest picking that up anyway, but read Civil war and see if you actually like it first. "
    Dude! :P
    @Tainted-Cell said:
    " My advice would be to START with Civil War TPB. If you like it enough and are still interested in the tie-ins, then Frontline would be my next pick. "
    Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Final Arrow
    @Tainted-Cell said:
    " @Final Arrow said:
    " What I would suggest is check out the civil war tpb. If you find a story that comes up and you want to find out more about then buy the series of comics that follow that. There is a great story featuring Ben Grim and what he did during the whole Civil War which had nothing to do with the Main story it was just a bit of fun and I loved it. But you can pick and choose from the TPB what would be interesting from the TPB and go on. Frontline wont get much of a mention so im going to suggest picking that up anyway, but read Civil war and see if you actually like it first. "
    Dude! :P
    @Tainted-Cell said:
    " My advice would be to START with Civil War TPB. If you like it enough and are still interested in the tie-ins, then Frontline would be my next pick. "
    "
    LOL great minds

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.