Follow

Christopher Yost

Person » Christopher Yost is credited in 526 issues.

American comic book and TV writer and producer. Currently writing Scarlet Spider and Superior Spider-Man Team Up. He was also one of the writers of Thor: The Dark World.

Favorite Comic Runs RESULTS: Christopher Yost's SCARLET SPIDER vs. X-FORCE

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Christopher Yost, the master of anti-heroes! This week, we wanted you all to reflect on two of his Marvel runs which focus on brutal heroes: SCARLET SPIDER and X-FORCE. Despite both revolving around characters that aren't "traditional" heroes, the two runs are quite different and bring completely different advantages. One did massive work to expand upon Kaine's world and the other dove deep into Wolverine's stealthy and lethal team which was full of cool characters (most notably X-23!). We strongly recommend reading both, but we wanted to know which one you prefer and why. Voting has been open since Monday and now the poll has been locked. In the end, the clone of Peter Parker took a moderate lead!

No Caption Provided

Yost did a tremendous job giving Kaine so much more depth. Watching Scarlet Spider try to figure out what to do with his life and the power he possesses was both a thrilling and emotional experience. From the first issue to the very last one, Yost made sure this book was loaded with entertainment. But it was hardly all action and emotional hits, though. The writer was sure to scatter a good amount of laughs throughout the ride... who can forget drunk Armadillo or the Santa Robbers fight?! Additionally, the book fleshed out Kaine's world by giving him a solid supporting cast. Hummingbird is beyond lovable and we grew to legitimately care about the people close to the anti-hero.

It's very unfortunate the run came to an end, but at least Kaine and Aracely are now continuing their adventures in Yost's latest run, NEW WARRIORS. Now, let's go see what the community had to say about these two runs!

Jonny_Anonymous

"Scarlet Spider.

Who knew Yost could take a character I didn't really care about and give him the mantel of my favourite spider-man ever and then go on to make me like him MORE than Ben in the first place."

ClawFist

"Man, both of these runs were great... but I'm gonna have to give it X-Force. Yost really made the name and team "X-Force" matter in my eyes. Before Yost, X-Force never really got my attention accept for the characters on the team and I really only hoped they'd pop-up in other X-Titles cause I just didn't care about X-Force. Yost changed all that, and then it was followed up by the X-Force: Sex & Violence mini and the superb Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender. Yost really just turned the whole way I looked at X-Force as where in Scarlet Spider (which don't kid yourself, I do love) I was already invested in the name. I expected and hoped Scarlet Spider to be good and it didn't disappoint. So again, my vote goes to X-Force cause it changed my entire outlook on the brand."

No Caption Provided

GraniteSoldier

"Got to go Scarlet Spider. Just the way Yost gave Kaine such a gruff but likable personality and really made me care about a character that originally felt like a second rate Spider-Man is a testament to his work. Kaines become one of my favorite characters and his solo was all too short in my opinion.

Yost is at least continuing his legacy of excellence with Kaine in New Warriors."

RD189

"I loved both to death, and both ended way too soon.

X-Force though had the advantage in art. Clayton Crain and Mike Cho did some of their BEST work ever for Marvel on that series. That scene with Angel lying on the pile of corpses with the light shining down on him... down right biblical. And the scene where Kimura tortured X-23 with a god damned chainsaw, just brutal!

The problem I had with X-Force is that it just got bogged down with the lead in to Second Coming, that I felt Yost and Kyle weren't able to fully explore some of the stories they had planned before Rick Remender took over.

Scarlet Spider has the props for some of the finest character work I've ever read. J.M Demantis may have made Kaine, but Yost gave him the voice and the definitive run he deserved. That was consistently the best book of the month when it was on the shelves. It was fun, it was dark, it was violent, it was everything you could expect from, arguably, Marvel's best writer at the present moment.

If I had one complaint to make about Scarlet Spider, which falls squarely on the editors, was why Kaine was backed into his own little corner and not allowed to interact with the universe at large. It made sense story wise, but the Sibling Rivalry story could have been epic if they had hit on it earlier and allowed to expand into Superior.

Heres hoping Yost gets a shot at the Kaine/X-23 crossover we all would part our dearly earned money for!"

No Caption Provided

Here's the poll results. Nice to see a mere 1% isn't a fan of either!

• Scarlet Spider 47%
    • X-Force 37%
    • I'm ashamed to admit I haven't read either one and won't be able to before Friday 8%
    • I love both of them 6%
    • Sorry, I'm not a fan of either story 1%
    No Caption Provided

That's it for this week, Viners! Be sure to check the homepage on Monday for a brand new edition of this segment. In the meantime, go ahead and tell us your favorite moment from these stories. If it's a big spoiler, please be sure to use the appropriate spoiler tags! Do you want to suggest a future match-up for this segment? Tell us below or via twitter.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Scarlet Spider Smash, he-he.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Looks like I need to read Scarlet Spider.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Huzzah!

Red-X17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Red-X17

I'm glad scarlet won, but I also feel sad that X-Force didn't..... Sight this is what happens when awesome books collide. No real winner.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Phaedrusgr

How many times have I read the whole Scarlet Spider (Kaine) saga, only God knows...It's one of my favourite runs. Yost's work is always pretty interesting, but with Kaine he took it to the next level...

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@redx17 said:

I'm glad scarlet won, but I also feel sad that X-Force didn't..... Sight this is what happens when awesome books collide. No real winner.

Or both win because it potentially gets more people to give them a shot.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I don't think I've read something of Yost's I havent enjoyed.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CaptainHoopla

Kaine riding a bull through a rodeo to take on Armidillo...classic.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainhoopla: Weirdly enough, this was one of my favorite issues. I think it was partially that I really wanted Kaine to finally get the balls to ask Annabelle out.

Bluecatcinema

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scarlet Spider was a terrific lead. Seeing Kaine struggle with his own methods against the sense of responsibility he inherited from Peter really made things interesting. It's too bad it was ended, but at least we can still see him in New Warriors.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 k4tzm4n  Moderator
    thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By thatlad

Anyone who voted for Scarlet Spider hasn't read X-Force. I mean I really liked SS but X-Force was awesome

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

Didn't vote, but since the Kyle/Yost X-Force was actually the very first thing I read when I got into comics, I'd probably be biased (that and its featuring of their character X-23, who is my favorite, would push it over the edge). But I love Yost's Kaine, and you can count me in the group that is angry at Marvel for not letting me give them money in return for a Kaine/Laura book in Yost's hands.

ClawFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh WOW, I didn't expect my name to be up there. Awesome! Thank you. I meant every word. Scarlet Spider might of won, but if people check out both of these series, there's really no losers. They're both simply great runs.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Kaine riding a bull through a rodeo to take on Armidillo...classic.

And he got the girl at the end.

CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By CombatSpoon86

Yes, Scarlet Spider won. So happy it did. Nothing against X-force bc I liked the series alot (even with Second Coming tie in and that terrible NecroshaX) but Yost just brought a whole other it factor to Kaine and the stories were top notch that didn't get bogged down to any of the big events. It also sort of helps for me that he was stationed in Houston (Hometown). Good Job Scarlet Spider. Hope people gets to read this underrated series.

Avatar image for admiral_ironbeast
    Admiral_IronBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think I've read something of Yost's I havent enjoyed.

THIS

matanui123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By matanui123

Oops! Although I'm a little late, I'll comment anyways. I believe it was grim hunt when Kaine fought Kraven and it was a Kraven slaughter fest on all the encounters. This tell me that Kaine in inferior to spiderman and I don't believe spiderman could accomplish this for the majority therefore Kaine can't.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.