Wild Western: The Legend of Johnny Smokers #4

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 1091

Edited By cbishop

RANKED 1st BY VOTERS IN CHARACTER CREATION CONTEST #24!

DateThe Legend of Johnny Smokers #4ViewRead the...
04/09/15Where All Rivers Run(Blog) (Forum)Disclaimer
RatingRating explanationLast Issue:
TNot so much violence- guns, knives, teeth or clawsTwo Rivers

Two Rivers rocked a bit, his hands raised palms up before him. He then clasped his hands together, shook them slightly, and plopped them in his lap as he looked to the sky through the top of the wigwam. The stone left his face as he searched for the right words, but finally just said, “Graycloud was a great help in fighting Coyote, this time.” For once, it was Two Rivers that didn’t meet Johnny’s gaze.

“My horse?” asked Johnny. “He saved me back at the cabin, but he was injured. How did he help you here?”

The shaman raised his eyebrows as he stared out the opening of the teepee, and he said, “Graycloud has much changed since he was a colt.”

Johnny had never seen Two Rivers be evasive before. It would have been funny, if it weren’t so frustrating. “Two Rivers! What happened to my horse?”

“You will see…in time,” answered the shaman. Then clearly changing the subject, he held up the broken necklace from the wolf man that was slain by Coyote. “Do you know what this is?”

“I was hoping someone could tell me,” Johnny answered honestly. “All of them wore one, including this Coyote.” He looked at it laid over Two Rivers’ hands, and noticed its crescent design in the middle, curving downwards with the curve of the beads.

“It is the eye of the wolf,” answered Two Rivers.

“It looks like the moon,” said Johnny.

“Are they not the same?” asked the shaman.

Johnny furrowed his brow, but answered, “Sure, I guess.” He was actually a little aggravated with the wise man bit at the moment, but he figured that was because he hadn’t eaten a decent meal in a month, so he tried not to let it show further. Realizing how hungry he was, he decided to change the subject himself, and he asked, “What’s the possibility of getting some grub?” Two Rivers smiled.

A couple of weeks later, Johnny was up and around, moving easily. He had been practicing at throwing Coyote’s knife, and was getting pretty good. He’d shown a remarkable talent for the javelin as well, but almost none for the bow and arrow, but that was probably because he was so much weaker than usual from having lain around for a month. Or maybe it just wasn’t his weapon.

He put the knife back in its sheath, and for the first time, it occurred to him to wonder where the sheath had come from. He hadn’t gotten a good look at it that night, but he was fairly certain this was the same one worn by the Indian wolf man. He looked at it closely. It did carry Coyote’s crescent moon mark. He strode purposefully to the center of the village where Two Rivers sat on a log. A couple of braves had followed closely behind when they saw Johnny heading for the shaman with a knife, but they were waved off by Two Rivers. He pulled the knife from the sheath and jammed the blade into the dirt before him. Holding out the sheath, he demanded, “How did I get this, and where are my guns?

Two Rivers only glanced at the sheath, but nodded to the braves behind Johnny, one of whom ran off. The old man pulled a pistol from under his blanket, and handed it to him butt first. The butt had a crescent moon carved in it. “We were not able to simply turn him away while you slept. The knife was not ours to return, so we told him that he must return for it when you awaken. But Coyote is the trickster, so he does not trust easily. He asked for something in return, in case you did not wish to give it back. We gave him your guns.” Just then, the brave returned with a gunbelt.

Johnny took it, looked it over briefly, and said, “And my belt and holsters?”

“And he gave you the sheath for his knife, and his belt and holster” answered Two Rivers, “in good faith. He is a trickster, but often fair in his dealings.”

FAIR?” shouted Johnny. “He took my family, Two Rivers!”

Two Rivers shook his head lightly. “You took his first.”

Johnny was stunned. He stared at the shaman in disbelief.

“Running Rivers was promised to Coyote by her grandfather, my father,” continued Two Rivers. He raised his eyebrows and shrugged, “What do you think Running Rivers was running from? All rivers run from something and to something else.” He fixed Johnny with a look, and said, “Coyote is often fair.”

Johnny hung his head low and whispered, “Of course. That’s why she was willing to change her name. She was hiding.” Johnny was silent for a minute, and the village waited for his silence to be over. Finally, he breathed deeply, jammed the pistol into its holster, and strapped on the gun. He picked up the knife, sheathed it, and placed it on his other hip.

“You will return that to Coyote?” asked Two Rivers.

“If he wants it, he can come and get it,” answered Johnny, and he turned to leave. A squaw met him with Graycloud, and he took the reins and began walking out of the village.

Two Rivers called after him, “Take heed, Johnny Smokers! You must return that blade and gun to Coyote! As long as you carry them, death and smoke will follow.”

Johnny looked back to the shaman and answered, “They can follow. They just need to stay out of my way.” Then he turned again to leave. The village watched him go.

With his tribe standing around him, Two Rivers watched also. He muttered the soft prayers of a shaman, then spoke quietly, “The Great Spirit run alongside you, Johnny Smokers.”

Next Issue: ?-
Please let me know what you think, and thanks! -cbOriginally Presented In: CCC #24.
cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cbishop
Read more Wild Western:Wild Western Roundup
OC Names:
CharactersCharactersObjectsTeam
  • Coyote*
  • Graycloud
  • Great Spirit
  • Smokers, Johnny
  • Smuckers, Maria (Running Rivers)
  • Two Rivers
  • unnamed father of Two Rivers
  • Coyote's Gun
  • Coyote's Knife
  • unnamed tribe
*Public Domain names can be used in an OC capacity.
Comic Characters used in this fic:
CompanyCharactersLocationsTeams
Non-Fiction:
  • -
  • -
Public Domain
  • -
.Full Fan-Fic Index. (My library of fics)

Thanks for stopping in! :^D

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cbishop

tbe

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

@cbishop: As long as you carry them, death and smoke will follow

What an excellent present! :)

Let's see chapter 5 now

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: "Present?" lol, welllll...

When I originally came up with this idea, Smokers was supposed to have two guns from Coyote. I changed it to a knife because of the picture I used for CCC 24, and added one gun back in for the presentation here. I still kind of want it to be two guns, but I just couldn't bring myself to work the knife out of the story. Still thinking about it.

I want to get my other Wild Western idea out before going on to chapter 5, but we'll see what happens.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Me smokem peacem pipem while waiting on next chapter. Beum faster and no forgetum horse. Or all Indian nation smokem all your tobacco.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arthurkerr: That's an awful stereopipe...I mean stereotype.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop said:

@arthurkerr: That's an awful stereopipe...I mean stereotype.

never was good at stereo music. I prefer my old record player. Sorry....will try harder next time....

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#8  Edited By dngn4774

YES!!!

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

Awesomesauce

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cbishop

@wildvine said:

Awesomesauce

Thanks. ...Now, I just have to figure out what happens next. lol I know pretty much how it ends, but it's the parts between here and there. I'll figure it out though. :)

Wim_Garnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Wim_Garnet

I'm VERY curious to learn what's going on with Graycloud. Thanks.

I've finally met my goal of reading all of Wild Western, only to finish a month after everyone stopped writing it. Such is life. I hope you or others come back to it sometime.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wim_garnet: I definitely want to get back to Johnny Smokers, and Batkevin74 had challenged me to write something new for this group, so I have another idea I still have to get to. So whether anyone else does or not, I want to get back to this at some point. The forum tends to be a little mercurial though- frantic on this project until the next project comes along. <shrugs> We'll see. :)

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just bumping this chapter to go with the ones Batkevin' bumped recently.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.