Nickname:
    The Slang Gang
    Leader:.Smackdown.
    Main Focus:Drug dealing- mostly super-drugs
    Legal Status:All members have criminal records
    Base of Operations:West Liberty Street Underpass, Norfolk, VA
    Main Area Covered:Liberty Street, Norfolk, VA
    Known Members:
    First Story Appearance:CCC 75/ .Paulette & Chaffin: The War on Wishes #1: The First Wish is Free.
    Creator:.Chris Bishop.
    As explained by Detective Gragg Chaffin:
    "The Liberteens operate from an underpass on West Liberty Street. It's part of a parking lot. They have super powers, and they're nicknamed the Slang Gang, because they're all named after a slang term that goes with their powers. Like their leader, The Pusher. He's telekinetic, AKA he can push things with his mind. Earlier this year The Pusher was forced out of the gang, and Dylan Smack took over. His alias is Smackdown, and he's super strong thanks to the drug Vig."

Story Canon next comment box. :^D

BumpInTheNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By BumpInTheNight
    No Caption Provided
    Paulette & Chaffin: The War on Wishes

Smackdown makes a deal with The Wishing Demon for The Liberteens to sell Wish- wishes in a pill. The only conditions are that they have to give each buyer their first pill for free, and each buyer only gets three pills. They can charge as much as they want for the second two pills, but before selling a buyer the third pill, they must tell them that they'll lose their soul after making their third wish.

Paulette & Chaffin were invesitgating Wish, because people are turning up dead all over. Heironymous & Salt show up on behalf of the US Treasury, because Wish is causing an economic crisis. The four have to work together with heroes from the Real Life Superhero Project to take down The Liberteens, and stop the drug. They all fight the gang at the West Liberty Street Underpass, and take them into custody. Death's Head Moth wishes the Wish out of existence.

Known Associates next comment box. :^D

BumpInTheNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BumpInTheNight
    BumpInTheNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BumpInTheNight
    No Caption Provided
    Concepts:
    • Magic
    Creatures:
    • -
    Locations:
    • West Liberty Street Underpass
    • Libert Street
    • Norforlk, Va
    Objects:
    • Wish
    Teams:
    • -
    Unnamed:
    • -

Creation next comment box. :^D

BumpInTheNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BumpInTheNight
    No Caption Provided

I had written a more generic gang for my entry to CCC #75, and I had them using slang that I knew was outdated (read: it was from when I was a teenager). I let a friend read the initial scene in the warehouse, and he had a problem with the slang as well. What he basically said was that my gang sounded corny. I was trying to figure out how to fix that problem when I remembered The Slang Gang. What if my gang had corny use of slang, because that was part of their thing? So my generic gang became the Slang Gang. But that name though...

The Slang Gang has been on my list for a long time, and I've considered it more of a placeholder name, because what gang is going to call themselves that? It's been my placeholder name though, because my teams usually fit some kind of theme. The theme for this team was that their individual names all come from slang terms. So I've held them aside for years trying to come up with a better name.

Wanting to use the Slang Gang for this entry, I wracked my brains while I was writing, trying to brainstorm anything that would sound better than The Slang Gang. I started thinking about different team names on my list of characters, and I thought of The Liberteens. I started to discard it, but thought about it a little more.

The Liberteens have been on my list for a long time too. Taken from the word "libertine," I've always wanted the Liberteens to be something like Marvel's "Young Allies," or DC's "Young All-Stars;" all-American teen superheroes. My problem has always been that the definition of libertine suggests villains. But how do you make a name that sounds like "liberty" represent villains?

I started trying to reason that out, and it clicked. Lots of gangs (at least ones in fiction) are named after the street they consider their turf- like "5th Street Dragons," or something like that. What if that was the case here? What if the Liberteens' turf was "Liberty Street?" I liked that a lot. One hold up- my story was set in Norfolk, Virginia- a real place.

A quick check on Google, and I discovered that there was indeed a Liberty Street in Norfolk- broken into E Liberty St and W Liberty St. A check of Google Maps, and I found the picture of the underpass that you see in The War on Wishes #3, and I decided that this is where the gang operates from. And because I needed to explain their names and my use of dated slang, I kept The Slang Gang as a nickname that they're known by.

It's a long and winding train of thought sometimes, but I'll be honest: I have a lot of fun getting there. (Source)

Cameos/ Minor Appearances/ Mentions in the next comment box. :^D

BumpInTheNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BumpInTheNight
    No Caption Provided
    -

-

(Spacer)

Non-Canon Stories next comment box. :^D

BumpInTheNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BumpInTheNight
    No Caption Provided
    -

-

(Spacer)

Thanks for reading. :^D

BumpInTheNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BumpInTheNight
    BumpInTheNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BumpInTheNight
    The Liberteens
    The Liberteens

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.