User Lists: 1268

Edited By cbishop
    DateThe Color Guard #3ViewRead the...
    01/27/17A Family Affair, Part 3(Blog) (Forum)Disclaimer
    RatingRating explanationLast Issue:
    TMurder and death discussed.A Family Affair, Part 2
    Try to Keep It Straight:

Two challenges as you read:

1. Keep it straight which Color Guard members have which parents, and how they're all related.
    2. If Super-American is at nine o'clock, figure out the seating arrangement for the game.

Why? Why not? It's just a fun thing to do. The answers will be at the end of this chapter. -cb

"Well, it took me awhile to find out," Blue Lady confessed. "I'm adopted, and they wouldn't tell me. I finally got mad and threatened someone with a little electroshock therapy--" She stopped when Super-American looked at her disapprovingly. She hunched in her chair a little, and said, "I'm not proud of it." Then straightening back up, she very quickly added, "But it did work! They told me who my mom was, and I knew she was Green Sorceress' sister! So I tracked down Golden Arrow, and--"

"--Green Sorceress. Blue Bolt was your mother?"

"--Green Sorceress," said Super-American, looking just as shocked as Purple Tigress had. "Blue Bolt was your mother?" he asked, his hand shaking as he set down his beer.

"Dad? Are you okay?" asked Green Ghost.

Not answering, he asked Blue Lady, "Who was your father?"

"I... I don't know," she answered. "My adoptive parents didn't know, and neither did the orphanage." Pointing right, she continued, "I was about to say- I tracked down Golden Arrow to see if he would know, but he said his mom didn't like to talk about her sister."

"Yes, they were a bit estranged, I'm afraid," Super-American said weakly.

Blue Lady looked at him oddly, and nodding hesitantly, she finished, "I never did find out."

Super-American sat in stunned silence. Then very quietly, he said, "A 'family affair,' indeed."

"Dad?" asked Green Ghsot.

He turned to his son with wide, haunted eyes.

"Dad? What's wrong?"

"Your mother. She died when you were born."

"Your mother," he started. "She died when you were born."

Green Ghost started to look deeply concerned. "Yeah, dad, I know," he said gently. "You've shown me pictures, but you never really talked about her."

"Grief," his father said simply. Turning to Blue Lady, Super-American said, "Would you take off your mask, please?"

The room was very quiet. Blue Lady didn't know what to say. After a few long moments, she reached up with both hands, and slowly removed her mask.

The old man gasped, as did his son. Green Ghost said, "Oh my God. Dad...the pictures--"

Super-American put one hand on his son's arm. "You... you look so much like her," he said to Blue Lady, putting his other hand up to his mouth, trembling. "They--" his voice broke with a sob. "They told me you died with her."

"What are you saying?" she said angrily.

"Dad, what are you saying?" Green Ghost asked, not quite able to accept the implication.

"You had a twin sister that didn't... that they said didn't make it."

Turning back to his son, hand still over his mouth, he lowered it slowly and said, "You didn't know her, but Blue Bolt was your mother. You had a twin sister that didn't..." Looking back at Blue Lady, he corrected himself, "that they said didn't make it." The group was stunned once again. "My dear girl..." he reached a shaking hand across the table, and haltingly, she reached out and took it. "I'm so sorry. I didn't know."

She half-smiled, still not knowing exactly how to react.

Going from shock to anger, Super-American added, "I don't know why they told me you had died, but I will find out. That I promise you."

"We'll find out," added Green Ghost, just as somberly. When Blue Lady looked to him, the full realization finally hit him, and his face changed as he shouted, "Holy crud! I have a sister!" He turned to mist and flowed across the table, solidifying between her and Golden Girl, and giving Blue Lady a hug. She was shocked for a moment, but then hugged him back.

"We're going to need more beers."

"We're going to need more beers," said Silver Streak, and before anyone could answer, he was back handing them out. Popping the top on everyone's beers at super speed, he raised his bottle, and said, "A toast! To family!"

"To family!" shouted the group, raising their bottles, and clinking them all around. Then they all sat down and threw their cards in.

White Panther passed the deck to Red Rocket, who started dealing and said, "Well, it seems we all need to get to know each other even better. So Super-American, what about that long story of why you never joined The RBC?"

"Ah," said Super-American. He took a long pull on his beer, set it down, turned it in his fingers a few times, and then said, "That's been a closely guarded secret." The group waited silently, and he finally sighed. "Well, the truth is I couldn't join The RBC, because it might have messed up history too badly. Once I met and saved Blue Bolt? And then fell in love with her? There was no way I could join."

"But it would have messed up history too badly before you met her?" asked Purple Tigress, her feline irises shining as she tilted her head.

"...Golden Knight and Silver Knight are my great-great-great grandfather and grandmother, several times removed."

"Yes," said Super-American, taking a deep breath. "My history. You see, Golden Knight and Silver Knight are my great-great-great grandfather and grandmother, several times removed."

The group gasped.

"That..." started Golden Girl. "That means..." she shook her head in disbelief.

"Yes," said Super-American. "My family line comes through you. You're my ancestor as well."

"Oh-ho, wowww!" shouted White Panther, throwing his cards on the table. Laughing he said, "Just... wow!"

Pointing to Green Ghost, Super-American said, "And his. And hers," he said pointing at Blue Lady. "None of us could even exist without you."

"And you saved Blue Bolt," said Golden Girl, "which saved Purple Plague, which kept Golden Knight from going to jail, which allowed me and Tigress to be born..." she shook her head with the implications.

Realizing where it was going, Golden Arrow laughed and said, "Which means they couldn't exist without you!"

"WOW!" shouted White Panther.

Golden Girl looked at Super-American, clearly reeling from this information, and although her mouth moved trying to form words, she found herself speechless. He nodded at her, answering her unvoiced question. She shook her head slowly, backing up in her chair a little, and then she fainted.

"Golden Girl!" shouted Golden Lad, catching her before she fell over. Setting her up in the chair and patting her face lightly, he said, "Golden Girl! Golden Girl!" Then realizing something, he looked at Super-American, and asked, "Wait-a-minute. Does that mean...? Am I...?"

"Wait-a-minute. Does that mean...? Am I...?"

Super-American winced and nodded. "Great-great-great--"

Golden Lad passed out.

"WOW!" shouted White Panther.

Red Rocket fell back in his chair and stretched his arms up with a cheer of "Woooo! Best. Poker night. Ever!" and laughed with the rest of the team.

Please let me know what you think, and thanks! -cbOriginally Presented In: CCC #49.

Story and characters owned by Chris Bishop, copyright 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#1  Edited By cbishop
    OC Names:
    This story was about revamping Public Domain characters, and they are all listed under the "Comic Characters used in this fic" tab. That left very few OC Names, but here they are:
    LocationsTeams
    • unnamed orphanage
    • Color Guard, The
    • Rainbow Bridge Club, The (RBC)
    • unnamed adoptive parents
    • unnamed hospital staff
    • unnamed orphanage staff
    Comic Characters used in this fic:
    CCC #49 comments for Family Affair (Try To Keep It Straight):

...It was a difficult race IMO, and I was able to narrow it down to a top 2 (excluding myself of course):

1. BlueEcho: interesting characters and rich atmospherics

2. cbishop: great flow and character appreciation

...In the end, I give the slight edge to BlueEcho, but IMO, cbishop pulled away as a clear 2nd-best (at least), surpassing batkevin74 and Renzoa, so if I voted 10 times, cbishop might have won 4 of the 10 voting rounds. So it was a tough call for me. But that's my vote...

Abishai100

@cbishop: That was a fun read, really they all were but you get my vote.

JamieWolfe7

@jamiewolfe7: Thanks. :)

cbishop
    .Fic-O-Pedia: cbishop. (My library of fics)Fic #175

Thanks for stopping in! :^D

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cbishop

Note: You may have to open the images in another tab to see them any bigger. I've gotten mixed results. -cb

Answers to the seating challenge:
    Poker table seating, clockwise with Super-American at nine o'clock:-
    1. Golden Arrow
    2. Blue Lady
    3. Golden Girl
    4. Golden Lad
    5. Gunmaster
    6. Woman in Red
    7. Black Beauty
    8. Silver Streak
    9. Super-American
    10. Green Ghost
    11. Purple Tigress
    12. White Panther
    13. Red Rocket (so between 12 & 1)
    Poker Table Seating
    Poker Table Seating

Continued in the next comment box! :^D

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How they're related: Color Guard couples

We'll start with the easy one first - the team's couples:

• Green Ghost & Purple Tigress
    • Golden Girl & Golden Lad
    • Woman in Red & Gunmaster

Note:

• Golden Lad has no other ties to the group.
    • Gunmaster has no other ties to the group.
    • ...that we know of.
    No Caption Provided

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How they're related: Rainbow Bridge Club and others of that generation
    No Caption Provided

Now things get a little bit complicated, but we're not dealing with the kids yet...

• Super-American married Blue Bolt.
    • Blue Bolt & Green Sorceress are sisters.
    • Green Sorceress married Golden Archer.
    • Madame Strange (villain) married Tom "Doc" Strange (villain).
    • Green Sorceress was killed by the Bronze Terror.
    • Doc Strange went to prison. Madame Strange divorced him.
    • Golden Archer & Madame Strange fall in love...
    • ...get married and change their names to Golden Knight & Silver Knight.
    • Doc Strange gets out of jail, and wants to see his son. To keep from violating his parole, he disguises himself as Red Torpedo. Winds up fighting with Golden Knight.
    • Silver Knight realizes what's happening, and stops fight. Convinces Golden Knight to keep secret, and they bring Red Torpedo onto team.
    • Scarlet Phantom joins team, meets Red Torpedo. They fall in love, and get married.
    Meanwhile...
    • Purple Plague (villain) is married to Black Cat [1] (villain).
    • They split. He may have died. He may have gone to prison, and she divorced him. Or she just divorced him, and he went his own way. We don't know what happened.
    • Black Cat [1] falls in love with White Indian. Changes her name to Black Angel, and they get married.
    Get it? Got it? Good. 'Cause my head's spinning a little.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cbishop
    How they're related: Parents of the Color Guard, Part 1
    No Caption Provided
    Getting more complicated now, but this chart is as simple as I could make it. The explanation for the chart... not so much...
    • Green Sorceress & Golden Archer had Bronze Man.
    • Green Sorceress is killed by Bronze Terror.
    • Bronze Man doesn't want name association, so changes his name to Golden Arrow, after his dad.
    • Madame Strange (villain) & Tom "Doc" Strange (villain) had Silver Streak.
    • Doc Strange goes to jail. Madame Strange divorces him.
    • Golden Archer & Madame Strange marry, become Golden Knight & Silver Knight.
    • Golden Knight & Silver Knight have Golden Girl.
    • During fight with Green Dragon & Black Dragon, Golden Girl accidentally empowers teen who becomes Golden Lad.
    • Golden Girl & Golden Lad marry. Many generations from now, their line results in Super-American.
    Meanwhile...
    • Doc Strange gets out of jail. Wants to see his son.
    • Doesn't want to violate parole, so creates new identity of Red Torpedo. Comes looking for son. Winds up fighting Golden Knight.
    • Silver Knight stops fight, gets Golden Knight to go along, and they induct Red Torpedo onto team.
    • Scarlet Phantom joins team. Meets Red Torpedo, they fall in love, and marry.
    • Red Torpedo & Scarlet Phantom have Red Rocket & Woman in Red.
    • Red Rocket & Woman in Red are separate births, but we don't yet know which one is older.
    In the meantime...
    • Silver Streak grows up angry.
    • Hates it that Doc Strange is in jail.
    • Hates it that Madame Strange became a hero, and got remarried.
    • Hates Golden Girl because of this, and comes gunning for her.
    • Golden Girl accepts him as her brother, which is all he really wanted - family.
    • Silver Streak joins the Color Guard.
    Separate from all of that...
    • Purple Plague (villain) & Black Cat [1] (villain) had Purple Tigress.
    • Purple Plague (villain) & Black Cat [1] (villain) split for reasons unknown.
    • Black Cat [1] (villain) falls in love with White Indian, and changes her name to Black Angel (hero).
    • White Indian & Black Angel have White Panther & Black Cat [2].
    • White Panther & Black Cat [2] are separate births, but we don't yet know which one is older.
    Aw crud... time loop shenaningans!...
    • Super-American comes from his future to Rainbow Bridge Club's present.
    • Saves Blue Bolt from being killed by Purple Plague, changes history.
    • Marries Blue Bolt, and they have twins- Amazing Man &... aw crud...
    • Blue Bolt dies giving birth, and Super-American is told girl twin died with her.
    • Amazing Man winds up helping Color Guard, and press dubs him Green Ghost.
    • Amazing Man keeps Green Ghost name so he can join Color Guard.
    But what's this?...
    • Girl twin- Blue Lady- did not die, but wound up at an orphanage.
    • She was adopted from the orphanage.
    • She eventually wants to know who her parents are.
    • Neither her adoptive parents nor the orphanage knew who her father was.
    • They were able to tell her that her mother was Blue Bolt.
    • She knew that Blue Bolt was Green Sorceress' sister.
    • She knew Golden Arrow was GS's son, and tracked him down seeking info on Blue Bolt's husband.
    • Because Green Sorceress & Blue Bolt were estranged for reasons uknown, GS didn't talk about BB.
    • Golden Arrow didn't know anything about his aunt or her husband, so search came to a halt.
    • Blue Lady joined the Color Guard.
    Much like Silver Streak...
    • Purple Tigress becomes bitter that Purple Plague is gone.
    • Hates it that Black Cat [1] became a hero, and got remarried.
    • Hates White Panther & Black Cat [2] because of this, and comes gunning for them.
    • Fights until Black Cat [2] unmasks, and she sees how much she looks like Black Cat [1].
    • PT tells BC [2] that she's beautiful.
    • BC [2] doesn't want to hurt PT, so she changes her name to Black Beauty.
    • Purple Tigress is invited to join the Color Guard, but she rejects offer.
    • She attacks a couple of more times, until Green Ghost joins the team.
    • Having a bit of a crush on Green Ghost, she finally joins the Color Guard.
    • Green Ghost & Purple Tigress become a couple.
    Whew! I think that's got it.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cbishop
    How they're related: Color Guard siblings
    No Caption Provided

To make things a tiny bit simpler, I'm only going to use the characters' final names.

Silver Streak, Golden Arrow, & Golden Girl:
    • Golden Arrow's parents are Green Sorceress & Golden Knight. Green Sorceress is killed.
    • Silver Streak's parents are Red Torpedo & Silver Knight. Red goes to jail, Silver divorces him.
    • Golden Girl's parents are Silver Knight & Golden Knight.
    • Golden Arrow is half-brother to Golden Girl, due to Golden Knight being father to both of them (different mothers).
    • Silver Streak is half-brother to Golden Girl, due to Silver Knight being mother to both of them (different fathers).
    • Golden Arrow & Silver Streak are stepbrothers, due to Golden Knight (GA's dad) & Silver Knight (SS's mom) marrying.
    • Golden Arrow & Silver Streak may be around the same age.
    • Golden Girl is younger than Golden Arrow & Silver Streak, but older than Red Rocket & Woman in Red.
    Silver Streak, Red Rocket, & Woman in Red:
    • Silver Streak's parents are Red Torpedo & Silver Knight.
    • Red goes to jail, Silver divorces him. Red gets out of jail, marries Scarlet Phantom.
    • Red Rocket's & Woman in Red's parents are Red Torpedo & Scarlet Phantom.
    • Silver Streak is half-brother to RR &WR, due to Red Torpedo being father to all three of them.
    • Red Rocket & Woman in Red are close in age- the difference is only 1-4 years- we don't know the exact difference yet.
    • Silver Streak is older than both of them.
    Purple Tigress, White Indian, & Black Beauty:
    • Purple Tigress' parents are Purple Plague & Black Angel. They split.
    • White Panther's & Black Beauty's parents are White Indian & Black Angel.
    • Purple Tigress is half-sister to WP & BB, due to Black Angel being mother to all three of them.
    • White Panther & Black Beauty are close in age- the difference is only 1-4 years- we don't know the exact difference yet.
    • Purple Tigress is older than both of them.
    Super-American first: (this isn't on the chart above)
    • Golden Girl & Golden Lad sired a generational line that led to Super-American.
    • This makes Super-American the grandson (many times removed) of Golden Girl & Golden Lad.
    • Super-American comes back in time, marries Blue Bolt.
    • This makes Super-American the brother-in-law of Green Sorceress.
    • Green Sorceress was married to Golden Knight- GS was killed.
    • Golden Knight was married to Silver Knight- they sired Golden Girl.
    • This makes Super-American the great-grandson (many times removed) of Golden Knight & Silver Knight.
    • This means that Super-American was brother-in-law to the first wife of his great-grandfather (many times removed).
    Now for Green Ghost & Blue Lady:
    • Super-American & Blue Bolt had Green Ghost & Blue Lady.
    • Green Sorceress & Golden Knight had Golden Arrow.
    • This means that Golden Arrow, Green Ghost & Blue Lady are first cousins.
    However...
    • Golden Arrow is Golden Knight's son.
    • Golden Knight is also father to Golden Girl.
    • Golden Girl is Golden Arrow's half-sister.
    • Golden Girl's family line leads to Super-American.
    • Super-American fathered Green Ghost & Blue Lady.
    • This means that Green Ghost & Blue Lady are ALSO great-nephew/niece (many times removed) of Golden Arrow!
    So...
    • Golden Arrow is first cousin to Green Ghost & Blue Lady, due to Blue Bolt being his aunt.
    • Golden Arrow is also uncle (many times removed) to GG & BL, due to Golden Girl being his half-sister.
    • ...even though GA, GG & BL are all about the same age.
    But wait...
    • Since Silver Streak is Silver Knight's son.
    • Silver Knight is also mother to Golden Girl.
    • Golden Girl is Silver Streak's half-sister.
    • Golden Girl's family line leads to Super-American.
    • Super-American fathered Green Ghost & Blue Lady.
    • This means that Green Ghost & Blue Lady are ALSO great-nephew/niece (many times removed) of Silver Streak!
    • ...even though SS, GG & BL are all about the same age.
    One more connection to twist your noodle with...
    • Silver Streak is step-brother to Golden Arrow.
    • Golden Arrow is BOTH uncle (many times removed) and first cousin to Green Ghost & Blue Lady.
    • Though technically not related to Green Sorceress, because they are all around the same age, Silver Streak MAY refer to GG & BL as his cousins too.
    • I say this, because once your family has this many splits and remarriages, if you like each other, you stop worrying about "step" and "half," and just call them what they would be without those prefixes.
    It's complicated.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How they're related: Parents of the Color Guard, Part 2
    No Caption Provided
    This is all the information on the parents and who they sired that I've given above. This chart includes all of the name changes too. I had to make this chart so I could figure out the other charts, and as it is, I still messed up the Siblings chart a couple of times. lol
    The important thing about this chart is the breakdown of the parents' marriages and splits. It helps me keep track of which kids are older than the others.

Let me know how close you got! -cb :^D

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.