I Wish You Could Remember

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Edited By cbishop

RANKED 3rd BY VOTERS IN CHARACTER CREATION CONTEST #26!

DateThe OrphanViewRead the...
    04/25/15I Wish You Could Remember(Blog) (Forum)Disclaimer
    RatingRating explanation
    MGun violence; murders. Arms dealing. Fighting. Petty theft.
    The Claw of the Crab
    The Claw of the Crab

Benjamin "Benny" Factor is not a nice man. He's been a gangster since he was old enough to make his own bad decisions. He began as muscle for pushers, then started dealing drugs himself, and eventually went into moving all kinds of merchandise- chiefly, guns. He was referring to himself as being in "import/ export" before that became a bad joke. It soon became a legitimate claim though, just to cover his illegal activities. Underlings wound up running the illegal stuff for him so he couldn't be connected to anything, and before he knew it, he was a respected businessman, and the cops weren't able to prove jack.

That doesn't mean that his hands were clean. Far from it. His organization- the illegal one- started being harassed by a vigilante known as The Blue Crab. She broke up a handful of important deals with a blue spotlight of a crab claw and a lot of fighting. She dropped off the radar for awhile, but was finally caught by Horace and Harry Fly, when she tried to bust up a weapons deal. They called Mr. Factor in, and Benny put the cap in her himself.

What was she even doing back in costume?
    What was she even doing back in costume?

Horace Crabb was shocked when the police showed up at his door, and devastated when they told him that Merilyn was dead. He knew that she was The Blue Crab, but a gunshot? After all the crime she had stopped over the years? After all the things she had seen with The Statesmen? He wondered numbly who they would get to represent Maryland now. Then the weight of realization crashed in on him, and he wondered what the hell he was going to tell the girls. They were only four and five. How do you tell children that their mommy is gone? What was she even doing back in costume? She had only been in remission a few months. He slumped into a chair and buried his face in his hands. The detectives made their condolences and departed.

And this is how Cancer was born.
    And this is how Cancer was born.

Merilyn's death ate at Horace for a year. The police were no closer to answers than they were when she was killed, and the girls were only starting to approach normal again. He was fed up. He dragged a footlocker from the closet, fished a key from the top drawer of Merilyn's dresser, and opened it up. He couldn't fit into her costume of course, but he could make use of her spotlight and her mask. He pulled leather motorcycle pants from the closet, along with a bomber jacket with his Zodiac sign on it. A pair of steel toed boots, his riding gloves, and the gun from his nightstand drawer. It was time for some answers. And this is how Cancer was born.

Horace made more waves and did more damage than his wife had done, in a short amount of time, because he was willing to use more violent methods. He rattled Benny's crew. They knew Cancer was someone out for revenge, because he was using The Blue Crab's old spotlight, and he made it known he was looking for her killer. No one dared give Benny Factor up though.

Anger makes a person careless though. He hadn't been at it a year when Cancer was caught and taken to Benny Factor at one of his dockside warehouses. They got on a boat, motored out past the three mile limit, and unmasked the vigilante. Benny capped Horace with his own gun, and tossed both over the side. Police found him washed up on the beach a day later.

Child Protective Services
    Child Protective Services

Later that night, police showed up at the door and whisked Annie and Sandy Crabb off to Child Protective Services. A social worker named Theresa, appalled that the officers hadn't told the girls what was going on, found that she now had the unpleasant task of telling these children that their father was dead. Sandy cried, but Annie was numb. She called her sister a crybaby and became angry with the social worker. Terrie let them cry and scream for two hours before they were worn out, and then they were taken to a state orphanage while authorities tried to find next of kin.

The girls were made wards of the state when no relatives were found. This lasted for a couple of years, until a janitor named James yelled at Annie for walking across his wet floor with muddy shoes. She scuffed her shoes all over the floor, then kicked the janitor in the shin. He grabbed for her, but she pulled away and kicked him in the other shin. Jim lunged forward, but slipped on the wet floor and fell. On the way down, he hit his head on the corner of the metal wringer of his mop bucket. Then he hit the floor, and he didn't move.

Annie grabbed Sandy's hand and ran, and they left the orphanage. Sandy protested, saying they could tell the headmistress that it was an accident, but Annie insisted they had to run. She said they would separate her and Sandy if they knew what happened. So they ran. When they couldn't run anymore, they hid in an alleyway, and at eight and nine years old, this was the beginning of them living on the streets.

...he hadn't felt it come off of his wrist.
    ...he hadn't felt it come off of his wrist.

They had been living on the streets for four years when Benny caught Sandy trying to lift his wallet. When she tossed Annie his watch he was surprised and impressed, because he hadn't felt it come off of his wrist. Harry caught Annie before she could get away. Benny took his watch and wallet back, but instead of getting angry with the girls, he offered them a meal. Figuring it was better than getting arrested, they nervously accepted.

Benny talked to them while they ate. Like any gangster worth his chops, he had cops on his payroll. He knew that Cancer and The Blue Crab were Horace and Merilyn Crabb. So when he learned Annie and Sandy's names, he connected them as the orphaned children immediately, and had an idea. He offered to take them in, promising they'd never have to live on the streets again, and that they could even learn his business if they wanted. Benny figured it would be sweet revenge to turn his enemies' kids into gangsters. When the girls accepted, he smiled to himself. They'd be turning over in their graves.

Annie knew who Benny was too though. And she also had an idea.

Benny was true to his word, as it served his revenge. He taught the girls everything about his illegal businesses, and they came up much the same way he did. They started as runners for various things, mostly drugs, and they reported to Horace Fly. Although Benny kept a close eye on what he considered his personal project of corrupting these girls.

Horace taught them how to shoot.
    Horace taught them how to shoot.

Annie didn't like Horace Fly. He had the same name as her dad, but he was a jerk. She called him Horse Fly, which he didn't much care for. His brother, Harry, she liked. He was called Harry the House, because he was so big. Sandy pointed out that this would make him House Fly, and Harry thought that was funny. Harry taught the girls how to fight, and Horace taught them how to shoot.

Annie played Benny's game, and she and Sandy kept him close. All the while, Annie kept focused on the memory of her father talking about Benny Factor and his involvement in her mom's death. Sandy still woke up crying over it sometimes, and Annie had called her crybaby so much that the term had become affectionate between them. So much so that Crybaby had become her nickname. She cried at everything- happy moments, sad movies, and even when she was angry. So Annie kept her eyes and ears open, looking for any information she could to prove that her dad was right. She wanted to give her sister a reason to stop crying.

They were not completely unaffected though. Sandy kind of fell into a bodyguard role for Benny, and Annie became one of his most trusted enforcers. Benny considered their corruption complete when they started killing for him. Sandy only killed to defend Benny from attack, but Annie actually carried out hits for him. She became known as The Orphan.

The sick son of a...he took pictures!
    The sick son of a...he took pictures!

They worked for Benny for ten years before Annie finally ran across the information she had been looking for. Actually, she didn't find it herself. One of Benny's enemies had sent an enforcer of their own named The Mute to steal the contents of his safe. Sandy was stalking her through the halls of the office when The Mute got the drop on her.

Before she could fire, Annie cocked a gun to her head and said, "I've been made an orphan once. I didn't care for it much. Drop the gun." Taking The Mute's weapon and taking back Benny's documents, Annie leafed through them, and found the proof she had been looking for- pictures. The sick son of a... he took pictures! She let The Mute go.

I wish you could remember this moment as much as I will...
    I wish you could remember this moment as much as I will...

Benny was throwing a party- a charity function for his legitimate businesses. He had to keep up appearances, after all. This was a New Year's Eve party that he hosted every year in his penthouse. It was tradition that he personally set off the fireworks from the roof of the neighboring building. It was there that Annie and Sandy confronted him.

Annie cracked him across the jaw with her gun, and threw the pictures down in front of him. Sandy held him at gunpoint so he didn't try anything. He pleaded. He begged. He bargained. And when none of that worked he became angry. "I've been like a father to you!" he shouted.

Annie looked at him coldly and said, "A father, Benny? I'm an orphan, remember?"

The hope left Benny's face as Annie turned away. He looked up at Sandy again. With fat tears streaming down her face, she looked at him coldly and said, "I wish you could remember this moment as much as I will..."

And that was when Benny Factor died.

Next: The Last Loss.-
    Please let me know what you think, and thanks! -cbOriginally Presented In: CCC #26.

Story and characters owned by Chris Bishop, copyright 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cbishop
    OC Names:
    Characters:
    • Crabb, Annie (Orphan, The)
    • Crabb, Horace (Cancer)
    • Crabb, Merilyn (Blue Crab, The)
    • Crabb, Sandy (Crybaby)
    • Factor, Benjamin "Benny"
    • Fly, Harry (Harry the House; House Fly)
    • Fly, Horace (Horse Fly)
    • James
    • Mute, The
    • Theresa
    • unnamed detectives [2]
    • unnamed enemy of Benny
    • unnamed headmistress
    Objects:
    • Blue Crab's spotlight (The Claw of the Crab)
    Teams:
    • Statesmen, The
    Comic Characters used in this fic:
    CompaniesLocations

Non-Fiction:

Picture credits:
    PictureCredit
    No Caption Provided
    Chopped, colors inverted, and circle added in MS Paint. Color for circle sampled from claw color. Claw came from...
    No Caption Provided

...Crab Claw, by mikeroush on deviantart.com.
    No Caption Provided
    Found via Google Images, this came from The Mad Grad Student's Coping with Rejection in Research, but appears to be flipped and cropped from...
    No Caption Provided
    ...silhouette of a man sitting with his head in his hand, apparent origin clipart.me.
    No Caption Provided
    Used MS Paint to edit, invert colors and save as jpg. Looks to have come from...
    No Caption Provided
    ...thoughtyoumayask.com, the link there leading to blogspot. Found via Google Images.
    No Caption Provided
    Found via Google Images, pic link led to pixgood.com, the link there leading to Tony Lloyd Police and Crime Commissioner Greater Manchester, although the pic wasn't readily found there.
    No Caption Provided
    Found via Google Images at MVMT Black/Gold Watch, on thegadgetflow.com. That's right: you too can have a watch like Benny Factor's! ;)
    No Caption Provided
    Used MS Paint to edit, flip, and invert colors. Came from...
    No Caption Provided
    ...Gun Outline Drawing on gunbase.com. Found via Google Images.
    No Caption Provided
    Stock photo - blank of picture borders and polaroids, on 123rf.com
    No Caption Provided
    Lady In Red, by Cintia on Inprnt.com.
    CCC #26 comments for I Wish You Could Remember:
    CommentWho
    Happy birthday @cbishop all I got you was this vote :)batkevin74
    @batkevin74: That's okay, it's just what I wanted! :D

And if anyone else was thinking of getting me a vote, don't worry, I can always use more! ;)

cbishop
    .Fic-O-Pedia: cbishop. (My library of fics)Fic #082

Thanks for stopping in! :^D

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cbishop

The Origins Behind the Origins (or how some of these characters got their names):

Crabb, Annie (The Orphan)

The origin of this character is a little twisted, but it started off with Little Orphan Annie. I thought of orphans in movies set in London being called "street urchins," and then thought of "Little Urchin Annie." That made me laugh, so now I had to have it as a character. I needed a reason for her to be called that though, so I thought of "urchin" also meaning "crab" - INCORRECTLY, as it's short for "sea urchin," which looks more like a drenched hedgehog. Anyhow, moving on...

So, now I called her Annie Crabb, and she was an orphan that people called Little Urchin Annie. But how did she wind up an orphan? Well...

Crabb, Horace Shoe (Cancer: The Crab)

...they find her dad washed on a beach, that's how! Which I got from the tendency of horseshoe crabs to wash ashore. Incidentally, I didn't say it in the story, but his middle name is Shoe.

Until this story, I hadn't considered why his dead body was out there to wash up on shore, and I didn't have him being Cancer I wrote this. I came up with that when I decided that his wife was...

Crabb, Merilyn Bleu (The Blue Crab) [and The Claw of the Crab]

wordplay: "Maryland blue crab." Her maiden name is Bleu, and she's from Maryland. Seemed like the perfect candidate to be the State's official hero. Unfortunately, she gets killed, and that sends her husband down the bath to becoming Cancer.

The Claw of the Crab was just a necessity of the story. Something to spotlight on walls to scare criminals, kind of like Spidey's belt light, but also something that Horace could pick up that would identify him as connected to The Blue Crab.

Crabb, Sandy (Crybaby)

I always wanted a character that cries when they're angry. The visual of them crying and firing just seemed cool. I thought of it before the movie Crybaby, and before Arsenio Hall's character in Harlem Nights, but they both beat me to it. Oh, well.

She got added to the family when I came up with the wordplay on "sand crab." I had planned for Annie to blow Benny away when she dropped the "orphan" line on him, but it worked better to have Sandy do it. Made her less of a side character.

Factor, Benjamin "Benny"

wordplay: "benefactor." Of course, he's anything but.

Fly, Harry (Harry the House; House Fly)

wordplay: "hairy fly; house fly."

Fly, Horace (Horse Fly)

wordplay: "horse fly."

Mute, The

I picture her as sort of a ninja-mime-looking character. What I have a really hard time not thinking of is DC's "Muse," from the 1988 Blue Beetle series.

James

I needed a janitor, so I named him after the one I used to work for when I was nineteen. The character's fate is not meant to be a reflection on the man. Sorry, Jim.

Theresa

The social worker, Theresa, is named for a cousin of mine who is in social work. She goes by a nickname though.

Statesmen, The

Closest comic comparison is Marvel's "Initiative," AKA "Fifty States Initiative." There's also a comic from the late 1980's called "New Statesmen" that had a similar idea, but failed miserably, because they were trying to write the next Watchmen. I was unaware of that title until the last couple of years.

This idea predates both of those though, because I came up with them as a kid, going through the World Book Encyclopedias on my shelf, trying to find ways to turn states into superheroes. I'm pretty sure this started with Alabama, because it's known as "the yellowhammer state." I discovered this after Marvel published Eternals #3 which showed Phastos on the cover weilding a yellow hammer that looked a lot like Thor's. So, my character weilded a yellow hammer and was pretty much a Thor clone, but in a costume modeled after the Alabama state flag as most of the state hero costumes were then. That idea kind of went away with time.

Calling them The Statesmen came in 2010, shortly before I discovered "The Statesman" in City of Heroes. <sigh> I'd change it to "National Guard" maybe, but Big Bang already has the "National Guardsmen." I keep thinking on new names, but for now, they're still the Statesmen.

That's all for now! Thanks for reading. :^D

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 230

LOL, this has had 1,073 views, and not a single comment. LMAO.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cbishop
    No Caption Provided

I Wish You Could Remember hit 2,400 views May 18, 2022. Thanks for looking, and/or reading. It's appreciated. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.