5th Column Comics: Heironymous in Indigo, Part 3 - Prince of Dragons

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Edited By cbishop
    DateHeironymous in Indigo, Part 3ViewRead the...
    08/06/17Prince of Dragons(Blog) (Forum)Disclaimer
    Note: This is a crossover. Heironymous does not normally take place in Indigo or the 5CC universe. -cb
    RatingRating explanationLast Issue:
    TGuns. Allusions to previous violence.The Samurai

After the beating she took at the hands of Ascalon, Crystal Salt had woken up in Indigo City General with severe pain in the left side of her head. Since she had last been in a foundry in the Iron Circle, and didn't know the details between then and now, she feigned memory loss while she tried to figure out what was going on. It was the memory loss with no apparent cause that made the medical staff decide to hold her for twenty-four hour observation, just to rule out concussions or brain damage.

She had asked how she had gotten to the hospital, and she was informed that a man with a Middle Eastern accent of some kind had carried her into the ER. Seeing her badge on her belt, they started work on her immediately, and when a nurse returned to have the man fill out the admissions paperwork, he was gone. They had found her medical card in her wallet, and taken care of the paperwork themselves. The Secret Service had been contacted and apprised of her condition, but they had not yet been able to reach her partner, Agent Heironymous.

All said and done her jaw was bruised well into the bone, with a possible hairline fracture. It left her with a massive, nasty-looking dark bruise from her chin to the top of her left cheekbone, and the swelling to go with it. The doctor had informed her that it might give her a glass jaw until it healed up, and that the glass jaw might become permanent if her jaw should be broken before it could heal. They told her she didn't have a concussion, and advised medical leave with bed rest until she was completely recovered.

Released from the hospital at the end of the second day, Salt was mad as hell, and went back to the hotel to see if she could find Heironymous. When she arrived, she found Heironymous laid out shirtless on the far bed, his shoulder bandaged, and him sleeping or unconscious. On the closer bed, a man sat with his back turned to the door, looking over his shoulder at her. His hair was pulled back in a pony tail with a severe widow's peak, he appeared to be in fighting trim, and was dressed in an impeccable suit by Don Wenauer.

Drawing her weapon and pointing it at the man as she kicked the door closed behind her, she winced as she said, "Who are you?"

The man stood slowly, his hands held out in front of him. Speaking in a slight accent, he answered, "I am the Prince of Dragons in human form."

"Prove it," demanded Crystal.

Pointing to a slight cut across his throat, he said, "The samurai gave me this at the foundry." When Salt still looked doubtful, he gave a low, animalistic growl which she had only heard before from Heironymous.

Relaxing her aim, and then holstering her weapon, she said, "Another dragon. How come you're not as old as Heironymous?"

The Prince of Dragons smiled at that. "We can choose whatever human form we wish. He could look younger if he desired."

"Hm. Then why doesn't he?" she said with curiosity.

"Age has its advantages," he said plainly. "It lends an air of wisdom, experience, and leadership, but belies his true power. That causes enemies to underestimate him."

Crystal nodded slowly, closing her eyes for a moment as swallowing made her jaw ache. "Fair enough," she said finally. "I take it you were the one who carried me into the hospital?"

"What makes you say that?" asked the Prince.

"Your accent is Turkish," said Salt, "and the nurse told me the man who brought me in had a Middle Eastern accent. You also haven't asked who I am. So you must know me from somewhere. In Indigo, that can only be from the foundry. So you must be the one who brought me to the hospital."

The Prince nodded once. "You are very good," he said quietly. "I see what he likes about you. If you knew who I was though, then why did you doubt me when I told you the truth?"

"It's always good to get as much information as possible so that you're sure," she said with a painful smile. "And now I know how they got a dragon into Indigo without raising any eyebrows. What about the foundry? Where are all of the trolls?" she asked.

Shifting slightly to a more relaxed stance, the Prince smoothed the edge of his lapel with one hand. Pointing to Heironymous, he said, "I did what he asked of me. They're gone, and I made sure there were no traces of us left in the foundry. Indigo City will never know we were here."

Standing silently for a moment, Crystal pointed to the empty bed and asked, "Do you mind?"

"Please," said the Prince, sweeping a hand towards the bed as he stood aside. "I only met him here to help with his wounds, and let him know the situation at the foundry. I've been watching over him while he slept, waiting on you to return. Now that you are here, I can take my leave." He nodded once more as she sat down on the end of the bed, and then he headed to the door. Before exiting, he said, "Do not take this unkindly, Agent Salt, but you look as if you could use some rest as well."

A tired breath escaping through her nostrils in place of a laugh, Crystal said, "You have no idea. Thank you for getting me to the hospital, and for helping my partner."

"Heironymous looked after me for many years. It was the least I could do. Good day, Ms. Salt." He smiled briefly, and then left, closing the door softly behind him.

She leaned out gingerly to twist the thumb lock on the door, and then laid back tiredly on the bed. She closed her eyes for a few seconds, taking a few deep breaths, then turned her head towards her sleeping partner on the other bed. "Lucy," she said softly, "you got some 'splaining to do." Then she fell asleep.

Next Issue: Shocking Pink Dragon.
    Please let me know what you think, and thanks! -cb

Story and characters owned by Chris Bishop, copyright 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cbishop
    Read more 5th Column Comics:5th Column Comics Library
    OC Names:
    CharactersLocations
    • Ascalon
    • Heironymous
    • Prince of Dragons, The
    • Salt, Crystal
    • Wenauer, Don
    • Indigo City General*
    • Iron Circle, The*

*These belong to 5CC, but I named them. :)

Comic Characters used in this fic:
    CompanyConceptsLocationsTeams
    5CC (fic group)
    • -
    • Indigo City
    • Indigo City General
    • Iron Circle, The
    • -
    Non-Fiction:
    • -
    Public Domain:
    • -
    • -
    .Fic-O-Pedia: cbishop. (My library of fics)Fic #184

Thanks for stopping in! :^D

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cbishop

The Origins Behind the Origins (or how some of these characters got their names):

Iron Circle, The

When 5th Column Comics was going strong, Batkevin' gave us a map to work with, so we'd have a general idea how the city of Indigo was laid out. I took one of the roundabout spots on the map, and called it The Iron Circle- the city's industrial/factory complex. I generally think of this as belonging to the group, but if it's not obvious by now, I like to note the ideas I come up with. lol

Prince of Dragons, The [SPOILERS]

The Prince of Dragons is the son of Heironymous. As much as I like setting up a good legacy, I think the Prince of Dragons is probably fated to die. I've always had the idea that there's something off about him.

For one, in the first part of Heironymous in Indigo, Heiro' tells Crystal that she's there to be a snack for the dragon. She takes it as a joke, but it wasn't. When Ascalon attacks, and Heiro' has to go after him, he first tells the Prince "deal's off," and tells him to take care of Crystal, or answer to his father (Heironymous is his father- they have a weird way of addressing each other).

The "deal" was: for helping the dwarves smelt the iron, the Prince would get a human to eat. I know it sounds inhuman, but that's just it- he's not human, and neither is Heironymous. He did get to eat some of the dwarves at the end.

Generally, I think the Prince might be insane- as royalty, he's grown up feeling entitled, and his near-invulnerability and immortality make him feel that he can get away with anything he wants. So far, I've written him as obedient to his father, but there's probably something else lurking there.

As for his name... Prince of Dragons is the only name I've given him so far, and his sister only has the name Princess of Dragons. You can blame Marvel's Iron Fist and DC's Great Ten for this. Iron Fist had a character in Kun-Lun named "August Personage in Jade" in something I read in the 80's, and the Great Ten had a few cool names like "Mother of Champions, August General in Iron, and Immortal Man in Darkness." Mother of Champions especially grabbed me- mostly, I thought, "Who thinks of something like that?" lol

But the idea of names that more describe than impress really stuck with me, and every now and then, I think of one that might work like that. One I'm still working on in the back of my head is "Mother of Presidents" (after a nickname of Virginia). She hasn't appeared yet, but I'll think of some crazy story to include her in one of these days. ;)

Wenauer, Don [SPOILERS]

Gay fashion designer, based on the wordplay of these Christmas song lyrics: "Don we now our gay apparel." That joke has gone around regularly in my characters' universe, but not one to miss a zinger, Don just picks it up, and uses it for an ad. At Christmas, he takes out a double page magazine and billboard ad. The words "FA LA LA LA LA" in bold black letters fill the white bacgkround, and a male model wearing one of his suits and a Santa hat leans against one of the F's, his head tossed back, laughing. It's a hit.

That's all for now! Thanks for reading. :^D

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 230

bump

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.