Follow

Catwoman

Character » Catwoman appears in 3421 issues.

Catwoman is a fictional character originating from DC Comics. Under the costumed alias of Catwoman, Selina Kyle, is a cat burglar with an on-again, off-again, romantic relationship with Batman. She is shown as a woman who is very strong-willed, independent and morally dubious.

Will the real Selina Kyle please stand up?

Avatar image for chipsnopotatoes
    chipsnopotatoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By chipsnopotatoes

This week was a busy one for Selina Kyle. She was featured in no less than four high profile Bat books: Batman - The Return, Batman Inc, Batman, and Streets of Gotham.

Reading all four of them, I've come to the conclusion that this character has a multiple personality disorder, probably the result of one mindwipe too many.

Here are a few permutations of her:

1. Batman: Visually, Tony Daniel's Selina is a stunner in this one sided pale pink chiffon gown. I would never have thought pink was her color, but Tony makes it work.

At a DC artist panel, he said he learned to draw women by copying his mother's Vogue magazines. I'm sure that's why he takes every opportunity to put Gotham's finest females in formal wear. No complaints from me. I love this elegant Selina.

However, personality-wise, this is Selina at her haughtiest. In one panel, she tells a prospective contributor to her charity that his hands smell like wet socks and, in this one, she's equally nasty to Dick. I'm guessing she resents the new pecking order in Gotham, i.e. being told off by a kid she watched running around in pixie boots and shorts while growing up. And that remark about Bruce! Something tells me their reunion would be more like War of the Roses if Daniel were ever to write it. Not sure I'd want to see that.

2. Streets of Gotham: Dini/Nguyen's Selina has spent the past year or so keeping a low profile and making sure her room mates stay out of trouble. While Bruce was 'dead', she's done nothing really remarkable except chase missing dogs and the like.

This Selina, who's clearly still in love with Bruce, has her romantic reunion with him in her work-out wear and in the presence of a bed-bug bitten Harley.

3. Batman The Return/Batman Inc: Morrison/Paquette's Selina acts like she hasn't had her heart cut out in the past year or had to depend on two other villains as a crutch. She confidently maneuvers down a cable to Dr. Sivana's lair where she cracks a safe in no time and steals a shiny bauble that's apparently worth more than a diamond.

She's full of verve and sass while fighting along side Batman. During downtime, she lounges around in his suite swigging a bottle of the best Domaine Paquette-Lacombe in nothing but a sports bra, bikini and black lace-up knee high boots. Perfect attire for work-out and/orplay.

By the way, she also doesn't blink an eyelash when he calls to tell her he's back from the dead. Nothing fazes this woman.

I hope this Selina is here to stay.

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1  Edited By Amegashita

So many writers, not enough characters.

Avatar image for themilkywaydude
    TheMilkywayDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TheMilkywayDude

I definately agree I think its just too many bat books going, I mean i love batman but how are all these diffferent writers meant to write the same character exactly the same? Its realy annoying and that happens with other characters as well i find. Once in a while something will happen in one book and a different series set just after wont even mention what happened in the other one. obviously there are exceptions but I reckon the Bat-library is getting a bit crowded now.
    batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By batman_is_god

Tony Daniel needs to draw dick like an acrobat. He looks more like Batman than himself.
    Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By Silkcuts

As much as I love the Bat Universe, the problem is there is too much cross-overs.
    Part of the reason is there are two things happening: (1) Grant Morrison't reboot (2) everything else.
    I consider Grant's stuff key Batman mythos since he is spear heading everything, everything else is just good stories.  I loved Heart of Hush, the Dini and Dustin combo is one of the best consistent teams.  With Selina's heart being ripped out, I am pretty sure that was Dini's idea and now Morrison's hence the ignoring of that.  Even in Batman Inc, when she was in her "Work out" attire, I forgot about the heart until you pointed it out.  Grant's team ignores that fact, like it didn't happen.  Does she have a scar from Heart of hush?

This awkward blend is why I miss Vertigo with it was DCU Fringe.  The stories were their own and not tied to main continuity.  With all the books being in the same universe, you are right, will the real Selina stand up?  I love her most in Grant's Vision... but I am biased since that is the only one I am reading monthly, no disrespect to the other series, I have most of them in trade or will.  Too much to read, not enough time.

I loved what you said about the Grant version:

"She's full of verve and sass while fighting along side Batman. During downtime, she lounges around in his suite swigging a bottle of the best Domaine Paquette-Lacombe in nothing but a sports bra, bikini and black lace-up knee high boots. Perfect attire for work-out and/orplay.

By the way, she also doesn't blink an eyelash when he calls to tell her he's back from the dead. Nothing fazes this woman.

I hope this Selina is here to stay."

Could not say it any better myself.  Great Blog.
    Cheers
     - Silkcuts
    chipsnopotatoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By chipsnopotatoes
    @Silkcuts:   Thanks!

It's weird that they're not using Morrison's stuff consistently across the batbooks, but I can understand why. Depending on the character he writes, fans are either enamored (Damian) or enraged (Jason Todd, Talia). So maybe the editors seek to balance it out with other writers' interpretations of these characters so fans have options. Kind of like a cafeteria plan :D

To be honest, I was apprehensive about how he would write Catwoman and my first reaction upon reading it was "I need to process this.". After I went through it a couple of times, I totally loved his take on the character. Cat noises aside, she's funny, sexy, and competent. So full of joie de vivre that's been missing since her 90's series. I just wish he'd gotten to her at the start of his run. Would have saved her being involved in some really awful stories and me a lot of grief reading them.  I'm actually happy that he ignored Heart of Hush/Sirens completely. I'm not a fan of either of those books or how she's written in them. Basically, the opposite of Grant's Selina.

Hopefully, given the positive fan response, his Selina will be used across ALL the bat books. Until now, many Catwoman fans  have been very unsatisfied with how she's been portrayed. You should hear the caterwauling in her DC forum. LOL. 

p.s. I do agree with you on the Road Home stuff being extraneous. Plus with the weird scheduling, it just created so much confusion on which book to read first. I think I will follow your lead and just read Inc. going forward.
    Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Silkcuts

No Problem :D
    I like your choice of words :D
    Cafeteria plan, you don't mind me using that do you?

I could use a friend who love Selina and you have a love for her alright. 

chipsnopotatoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By chipsnopotatoes
    @Silkcuts:  Heh! I'll look out for "cafeteria plan" in your future reviews :D
    Re Selina: Is it that obvious? *grins*
    Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Silkcuts
    @chipsnopotatoes:  no it is, Don't see everything ..lol
    mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mpgeist

Liked Morrison's take the most but didn't mind Dini's issue either.  I like that Selina called Bruce on the carpet.  Granted, he still ended up avoiding the issue but we can't get everything we want.

chipsnopotatoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By chipsnopotatoes
    @mpgeist:  The preview where she smacks Harley while liplocked with Bruce was cute.
    Sir Duke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11  Edited By Sir Duke

My personal favorite is Paul Dini's Catwoman, no question.  I love a good romance story, and I love the portrayal of Selina and Bruce as star crossed lovers and true soul mates.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By entropy_aegis

Daniel draws a fantastic selina but INC selina can steal stuff from Sivanas lair,that's arguably her greatest showing of thievery(spelling).
    m7md-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By m7md-gamer
    No Caption Provided

@chipsnopotatoes: hi i'm new at the comic vine can you please tell me for what comic this photo

No Caption Provided

and what comic is this they so cute

No Caption Provided

and this one too

i know i know i'm so fan of the're relationship please tell me what comic are these photo in plz

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.