Castiel, often shortened to Cas, is a powerful Angel of the Lord who saved Dean Winchester from Hell, on the archangels' command. It was his job to help prevent Lilith from breaking the 66 Seals that, once broken, would release Lucifer from his cage in Hell. Once Castiel learned that his fellow angels wished to free Lucifer anyway so the Apocalypse can commence, he went against his angelic brethren and died trying to help Dean prevent Sam Winchester from breaking the last seal.
After he was killed by the archangel Raphael, Castiel was resurrected by God and joined Sam, Dean and Bobby Singer in a quest to prevent the brothers from becoming the vessels of elder archangels Michael and Lucifer. After helping end Armageddon and being killed by Lucifer in the process, Castiel was resurrected by God once more and was promoted to the higher rank of Seraph.
Castiel waged a second civil war in Heaven to prevent Raphael from restarting the Apocalypse. Castiel teamed up with the demon Crowley to take abundant souls from Purgatory. Castiel absorbed millions upon millions of souls, including Leviathans, from Purgatory. The power was so great that Castiel effortlessly killed the archangel Raphael. However, the evil souls had warped Castiel's mind, causing him to proclaim himself as the new God and proceeded to wipe out all of Raphael's followers, while killing innocent disbelievers on Earth.
Succumbing to a rapidly deteriorating vessel because of his inability to contain the millions of souls, Castiel eventually agreed on the advice of Dean to release the souls back into Purgatory. While seemingly successful, it turned out that the Leviathans, one of God's most powerful creations from Purgatory, held on to Castiel, and overtook his vessel. Castiel died after the Leviathans abandoned him to seek human hosts. But apparently he was resurrected by God once again. Dean later discovers Castiel as an amnesiac healer named Emmanuel. Upon absorbing Sam's madness from his time in Hell in order to save the Winchesters and atone for what he did to Sam, Castiel became insane and fell into a coma. However, he awakens with his sanity mostly restored and a signal was sent to all angels upon the discovery of the Word of God and the appointment of a new prophet. Cas then aids the Winchesters against Leviathan leader Dick Roman and while they seemingly kill him, Cas and Dean are transported to Purgatory as an after effect.
Months later, Dean returns from Purgatory but Castiel does not. While his status was unknown at first, it's revealed that Cas was on the run from Leviathans and chose to forgo escape from Purgatory with Dean because he saw staying as penance. However, he was eventually freed by angels under the orders of a mysterious but powerful angel named Naomi. He rejoined the Winchesters and became a hunter himself. Castiel learned that Naomi was controlling him ever since he left Purgatory and was forcing him to find the angel tablet, no matter the costs, even if he has to kill Sam and Dean. Castiel then teamed up with the angelic scribe Metatron when the angel said he could close the gates of Heaven. After collecting the heart of a nephilim and the bow of cupid, Metatron is captured by Naomi but escapes and kills her, only for Cas to discover Metatron's betrayal and plan to cause all angels in Heaven to fall to Earth.
Metatron stripped Cas of his angelic grace in order to expel all angels from Heaven. Castiel spends the next three months on Earth as a human. After being captured and tortured by a rogue angel named Malachi, Castiel stole the grace of his right hand man, Theo, and becomes a common angel. Castiel begins a search for Metatron and Gadreel while being pursued by other angels. Eventually he kills rebel leader Bartholomew and assumes command of his angelic faction, but a deception by Metatron makes him lose the trust of his army. Cas teamed up with angels Gadreel (reformed) and Hannah to infiltrate Heaven and destroy the angel tablet, which would cut off Metatron's godly power. Though successful, Dean and Gadreel were killed. He left Heaven as he doesn't want to be a leader and was dying due to his burning-out grace. Castiel has since reclaimed the remnants of his grace, making him a Seraph (with broken wings) once again.
Powers & Abilities
Castiel posesses extraordinary abilities and is one of the most powerful supernatural beings the Winchesters have ever met. Not only does Castiel have all the powers of regular angels, which includes dream walking, smiting lower level beings, telekinesis, teleporting and time travel, but his angelic power runs independent of Heaven and can therefore use all of his angelic abilities despite being a fallen angel. Castiel, formerly a common angel, is a Seraph, a higher ranking sub-species of angel. Cas lost all of his angelic abilities when Metatron stripped him of his grace and rendered him mortal and powerless. Cas has since however, regained all of his power as a Seraph excluding teleportation, apporting, and time travel due to his wings being broken.
- - Castiel can bend time much easier than as a regular angel, and also could freeze time, including demons.
- – Castiel is immune to age and illness as well as most forms of physical harm on Earth.
- – Castiel's true visage is far more hazardous and far more terrifying to creatures such as humans, demons, and other earthly monsters. Castiel was able to combine this with the use of his holy white light to force the King of Hell Crowley to retreat.
- – Castiel can become invisible to humans at will. He used this ability to spy on Dean living a normal life and again when trying to see how much Dean, Sam, and Bobby have learned about his alliance with Crowley.
- – Castiel is able to manipulate a person's mind, being able to create, erase or alter memories or simply alter their perception of events altogether. He easily tore down the mental dam inserted by the horseman Death on Sam that protected him from the memories of being tortured in Lucifer's Cage. Though he was unable to cure Sam from the resulting madness, he was able to transfer the mental damage from Sam to himself. Cas is also able to show a person the true version of their memories, not just the version they choose to remember. This is shown when he makes Dean see what really happened when he escaped Purgatory.