Follow

Cassandra Cain

Character » Cassandra Cain appears in 879 issues.

The daughter of two notorious assassins, David Cain and Lady Shiva, Cassandra left her father as a child after she killed a man and saw his pain and fear while he died. After saving Commissioner Gordon's life, she became the new Batgirl with Batman and Oracle's blessing, and was later adopted by Bruce Wayne. She would later give the role of Batgirl to her friend Stephanie Brown, and became Black Bat. In the New 52 and Rebirth, she takes the alias of Orphan.

Why Cassandra Cain is Awesome

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

Edited By batmannflash

Hope you all had an amazing Thanksgiving! Today, I'm writing about a character that I am thankful for: Cassandra Cain, as part of my blog series, "Why ___ is Awesome." (for a lack of a better title).

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

1. Special

Cassandra Cain stands out because she's so different from most of the Bat-family. For starters, she's Asian. She was raised by the League of Assassins (like Damian). Her costume was frightening and different from the other Batgirls. Cass doesn't even care much about her secret identity or having a social life. She didn't know how to talk earlier in her career. She always had an air of mystery to her since she was never one to talk a lot. Cass has a tough girl attitude with a kind heart. She is one of the most famous Asian comic book superheroes and the first Batgirl to receive a solo series because she is so special and unique.

2. Character Depth and Background

Cass is a girl with a troubled past. She is the daughter of deadly assassins David Cain and Lady Shiva. From birth she was raised to become the perfect bodyguard for Ra's al Ghul. She was raised to be a killer, with an almost inescapable fate. What I love about Cass Cain is that she is a poor girl running away from her past, trying to change, and trying to put it all behind her. As a kid, she never got choices. But now, she's able to make choices, and she chooses to be a vigilante, part of the Bat-family. I see great character depth in her, knowing that it hurts her to not have a "real" childhood and be bred into a killer. She's constantly seeking redemption and putting the past behind her. I always feel sympathetic for her, which is why she's such a compelling character.

These scans are all you need. Cass vs her father, Cass Cain in Batgirl (Vol. 2) #6

3. Hardcore Ninja

What more can I say? Her fights are some of the most entertaining fights among the Bat-family because of just how impressive she is. Cass never learned how to speak as a child, but instead was taught by her parents to develop an uncanny body reading ability, able to read body language and react accordingly. Throughout the years, she has shown incredibly feats of speed and hand to hand combat that even impresses Batman himself. Cass possesses a tough attitude and has many times been completely unfazed in the heat of the moment when shot by guns.

4. Indomitable Will

No Caption Provided

Something that really got my respect was Cassandra's extreme dedication and indomitable will. When a psychic rewired her brain, she could finally talk, but at a cost. She had lost her amazing body reading ability and had to start from scratch. There's this one panel (see right) that really sticks to me, which was when Batman was helping her regain her body reading ability. He would fight her, in hopes that Cass would be able to predict his movements. Unfortunately, she got punched in the face again, and again. But she took Batman by shock when she would not stop the exercise, not even giving up after being hit so many times. Her strong sense of will is something that makes her really special. Something else I recall was when she was training immensely for an upcoming fight between her and her mother, the great Lady Shiva. No one thought that she could do it. But guess what? Cass trained harder than anyone. In the end, she finally beat Shiva.

Cass vs Shiva in Batgirl (Vol. 1) #73

No Caption Provided

Well? What are your thoughts on Cassandra Cain? Like what you've read? Read more: Why _____ is Awesome

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

That last picture always tears me up, Nice blog

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By batmannflash

@ultrastarkiller: The picture gives me chills. Thanks! I'm actually proud of this one.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Nice blog.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Yes finally :D, great work!

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BUMP

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're preaching to the choir, man. Still, it's nice to see.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She is a human yet she nearly killed Supergirl. Of course she is awesome!

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonsmith said:

I know, maybe so. But she is so underrated

She is a human yet she nearly killed Supergirl. Of course she is awesome!

Yeah that was insane. But I didn't like that she was evil due to some weird "evil shot"

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know, maybe so. But she is so underrated

Oh, most definitely. Personally, I was holding out for her return before Stephanie Brown. Given Cassandra's role in training her and turning her from Spoiler to Batgirl, I think it's really odd and wrong that they're bringing her back before Cass.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonsmith: I personally like Steph more than Cass, to be honest. But I totally see what you mean. Cass should come before Steph. It's pretty odd that they're doing it the other way around

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15 the_stegman  Moderator

I like Cass, but she's always been my least favorite Batgirl. I'm not a fan of the "I was raised to be a living weapon, so I don't know how to be normal." Characters, to me, Steph and Babs have more personality.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By batmannflash

@the_stegman: Truthfully, same with me. Cass is my least favorite Batgirl, and I do like Steph and Babs more. But I still think Cass is awesome.

I've written about Steph before and I plan to write about Babs one day

nobodyisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is the final scan from?

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nobodyisemo:

Batgirl Vol. 2 issue number 6 (the final issue of Cassandra's series before Stephanie Brown's)

nobodyisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmannflash: Thank you! And you're welcome for the follow, but you deserve it after all of the rad stuff I see that you do!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.