Follow

Cassandra Cain

Character » Cassandra Cain appears in 879 issues.

The daughter of two notorious assassins, David Cain and Lady Shiva, Cassandra left her father as a child after she killed a man and saw his pain and fear while he died. After saving Commissioner Gordon's life, she became the new Batgirl with Batman and Oracle's blessing, and was later adopted by Bruce Wayne. She would later give the role of Batgirl to her friend Stephanie Brown, and became Black Bat. In the New 52 and Rebirth, she takes the alias of Orphan.

It should've been her...

X9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By X9

instead of Starfire in RHATO....

I know it's too late for that comment, but, still, I had to share it :(

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Twentyfive

She more than likely won't be returning in the new Universe.

X9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By X9

@Twentyfive said:

Why not?!

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Twentyfive

@X9: That's a good question. Maybe DC doesn't want things to play out like they did before.

That's why Superman might not get back with Lois Lane.

X9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By X9

: Well, I'm not saying she has to be Batgirl, I'm ok with Black Bat or any other identity... I just think she's a good character who could provide great story-arcs...

Maybe she'll be back. Not now, but someday

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Twentyfive

@X9: Yeah. Hopefully.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By theTimeStreamer

@X9: in a year or 2 shell be back.

MrShway88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MrShway88

Cassandra Cain was, is, and will always be the best Batgirl.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SmashBrawler

Why are you guys acting like these characters won't be coming back? Back in the 80's DC said Supergirl, Krypto, Kandor and other elements of the Superman mythos would be gone for good after COIE.

Were are they now? Oh, yeah...

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By InnerVenom123

@X9 said:

@Twentyfive said:

Why not?!

Didio doesn't like her.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Mercy_

Editorial hates Cass :(

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By rav4

Add to that the fact that Lady Shiva, her mother, has been de-aged to be Dick's age...

so unless they remove her as Shiva's daughter, she wouldn't be showing up as anything more than, like, a five year old girl at best.

Black Coda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Black Coda

If she ever does come back they'll have changed everything about her that made her cool in the first place.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Hazlenaut

I think she will do one punch joke on Jason Todd. Just like Batman did with Guy Gardener. You want her team up with a social path and a former drug addict, unless the retcon fixed that. In second thought she should be with bird of prey. Think of reaction of her teaming up with Misfit.

X9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By X9

@Ravager4 said:

Add to that the fact that Lady Shiva, her mother, has been de-aged to be Dick's age...

so unless they remove her as Shiva's daughter, she wouldn't be showing up as anything more than, like, a five year old girl at best.

@Black Coda said:

If she ever does come back they'll have changed everything about her that made her cool in the first place.

Hum...so, yeah, she'll take a few years to come back...but come up with a new story for her could work...I mean, that's what they're doing with pretty much every character.

Black Coda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Black Coda

@X9: Could work, sure. The World could end tomorrow to but I'm not banking on it. She'll come back as some shell of a character. She wont be a move reading super ninja capable of hanging with Batman. She wont be the daughter of Lady Shiva (which means its doubtful she'll be the daughter of David Cain). Start taking those elements away and its no longer Cass Cain is it?

KingofMadCows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KingofMadCows

@SmashBrawler said:

Why are you guys acting like these characters won't be coming back? Back in the 80's DC said Supergirl, Krypto, Kandor and other elements of the Superman mythos would be gone for good after COIE.

Were are they now? Oh, yeah...

While it is likely that she will be back, most fans don't want to wait 20 or 30 years for it to happen.

Although, as much as I'd love to see Cass come back, the chances that she will be well written while the current editorial staff is still around, especially DiDio, is very low.

Clearly, the editorial do not like Cass. They wanted her to turn evil after Infinite Crisis and decided to hire Beechen, who knew nothing about the character and had never read her series, to write that story. Then they decided to get Beechen again to do her miniseries to try to make up for the mistakes he made. They pretty much intentionally sabotaged her and constantly thwarted her chances of coming back.

Writers, like Gail Simone and Scott Snyder, have actually said that they wanted to use Cass but were told by the editorial that she was off limits. Snyder said that he created Harper Row because they wouldn't let him use Cass.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Mercy_

@Ravager4 said:

Somebody had a theory somewhere with how that could still work somehow. I'm gonna try and dig it up.

@KingofMadCows said:

Writers, like Gail Simone and Scott Snyder, have actually said that they wanted to use Cass but were told by the editorial that she was off limits. Snyder said that he created Harper Row because they wouldn't let him use Cass.

This is what breaks my heart. It's not like there's a lack of interest (both of the aforementioned have been very public in saying how much they love her (and Steph) and have reached out with requests to use them). It's all Editorial .

mpierce2690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mpierce2690

Hasn't the current rumor been that she's going to appear in Batman Inc? Either way, I'm sure that we'll see her, just like we'll see Wally West and Stephanie Brown, the question is only "when?" Personally, I think that we'll see Wally sooner than the other three, but at least Stephanie has some evidence as returning as Spoiler. Wasn't her bio as Spoiler used in some New 52 handbook or background piece recently?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By TDK_1997

I'm fine with Starfire but she indeed needs to return but that won't happen.

X9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By X9

: She can still be Shiva's and David's daughter, it'd only take a longer time for her to show up again. Maybe a younger version of Cass... I wouldn't mind seeing her and Damian kicking ass. In fact, I think these characters are meant to know each other.

Plus, I've heard rumors she'd appear in Batman Inc :P

I'm just saying her story will probably change, but I trust they will be wise enough not to destroy the character.

I'd rather wait a longer time to read good stuff of Cass than have her showing up now with mediocre story-arcs...

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By danhimself

reading through this thread just made me sooooo angry

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MrShway88: Cassandra Cain was, is, and will always be the best Batgirl.

I second this motion.

mpierce2690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mpierce2690

@ChaosAgent said:

I miss Cass, and Steph.

Speaking of Wally, I'm still waiting for him to make his grand re-appearance...I do agree that his inclusion into the New 52 will happen sooner (IF he does return) than the returns of Cassandra, Stephanie, Donna, Jade (whose return seems almost impossible), or any other desired character.

If I remember right, I think Dido was saying that he's waiting for the right story for Wally to return, and Francis Manapul has said more than once that he's got a proposal for Wally's return on DC's desk.

KingofMadCows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KingofMadCows

@mpierce2690 said:

@ChaosAgent said:

I miss Cass, and Steph.

Speaking of Wally, I'm still waiting for him to make his grand re-appearance...I do agree that his inclusion into the New 52 will happen sooner (IF he does return) than the returns of Cassandra, Stephanie, Donna, Jade (whose return seems almost impossible), or any other desired character.

If I remember right, I think Dido was saying that he's waiting for the right story for Wally to return, and Francis Manapul has said more than once that he's got a proposal for Wally's return on DC's desk.

Yeah, but DiDio lies all the time. He's been saying that they had "big plans" for Cass every year since 2006.

Hklb95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hklb95

@X9: @X9 said:

: She can still be Shiva's and David's daughter, it'd only take a longer time for her to show up again. Maybe a younger version of Cass... I wouldn't mind seeing her and Damian kicking ass. In fact, I think these characters are meant to know each other.

Plus, I've heard rumors she'd appear in Batman Inc :P

I'm just saying her story will probably change, but I trust they will be wise enough not to destroy the character.

I'd rather wait a longer time to read good stuff of Cass than have her showing up now with mediocre story-arcs...

i would hate to see another hero Damian's age. dc got rid of characters that age when they had the titans grow up in the comics before the new 52. Damian is the only character that should exist that is that young in the comics and that is only because based off the past that the character has he was born to be robin

Hklb95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hklb95

@ChaosAgent said:

I miss Cass, and Steph.

I think they should turn wally into impulse and that he should take over the role that Bart did not take in the new 52

Batmandemon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Batmandemon23

If people are worried about the De-ageing of lady shiva, then why not just make cass her younger sister so that way she can retain a genetic connection with shiva while still being within tim's age range.

FinalAvalanche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FinalAvalanche

@Batmandemon23 said:

If people are worried about the De-ageing of lady shiva, then why not just make cass her younger sister so that way she can retain a genetic connection with shiva while still being within tim's age range.

For that matter, why not make Cass Shiva's niece? In the old DCU Shiva had a deceased older sister, Carol, if I remember correctly.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.