Follow

Carrie Kelley

Character » Carrie Kelley appears in 123 issues.

In the Dark Knight Returns, Carrie Kelley sought out Batman and earned the right to fight alongside him as Robin using her home made costume. She later took up the mantles of Catgirl, Batman, Batgirl, and Batwoman.

Awesome Toy Picks (Classics): Carrie Kelley Robin

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Each week we take a close look at a comic book collectible. That means taking it out of the package. This week we decided to look back at an older figure. With the rumor that we could see the Carrie Kelley version of Robin in the upcoming Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, we figured why not take a look at the figure from the Batman: The Dark Knight Returns line?

No Caption Provided

As you can see, this package isn't in the best condition. I actually picked it up earlier this year at C2E2, right around when she appeared in BATMAN AND ROBIN #19. Because of the condition, it was super-cheap.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

It might sound bad, but I honestly can't remember if I bought all the figures in this set. I know I have Batman and Superman (and even did a feature on them HERE back in September 2011). I can't remember if I also got Carrie and Joker. Carrie comes with a piece of sidewalk and a lamppost. The 'light' even glows in the dark. Each figure comes with a piece of sidewalk that can be connected.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

As in the comic, you can see the figure retains her unique look. How about that hair, huh? The classic Robin costume is something to see. Regardless of it being Dick Grayson's original outfit, it just doesn't seem right for a guy. Even on Carrie, it's a little too much (or perhaps too little). It's great to see it, especially considering this look, with the pixie boots, has been erased from continuity in the New 52.

No Caption Provided

It's a pretty simple character. There isn't very much in terms of articulation. You can move her head, arms, right wrist and legs. That's it. This is a figure that you're not really going to 'play' with.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

She doesn't stand on her own either. Her hair makes her top heavy. But there is a peg that can be put in her foot and she can stand on the sidewalk, ready for display.

You can see that she does come with her slingshot. It's permanently in her hand. It does have an actual rubber band attached. I was worried that it would be in a somewhat deteriorated state. But after being in the package all these years, it's still in good shape.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The face is a little haunting. It's like she's just staring off, like she don't care. The glasses instead of a mask is one thing that sets her apart from the others. They're pretty big glasses but it adds to her look.

You can see the how the bright yellow cape just looks so good.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The weather was a little wacky when I was taking pictures. The sun starting coming out. The figures from this line are probably better suited in gloomier weather but the bright colors do look good in the sun.

No Caption Provided

This figure may have been out for a while but it's still a good looking figure. It's not clear what role, if any, she'll play in the New 52. Will we see her return in the pages of BATMAN AND ROBIN? Is she going to appear in the upcoming Batman/Superman movie? We'll have to wait and see. You can still find this figure on eBay and possible on dusty shelves at your local comic shop. It's definitely worth having in your collection.

That's it for this week. Next time we'll return to looking at a newer release. Let us know what you thought about this retro-look at a collectible.

InFamous_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Not feeling this figure man. Some angles make her look like a man with a ice cream hair cut.

deadcool_XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By deadcool_XD

@infamous_wolf: I totally agree with you, it does look like a man. I mean seriously, it looks like Napoleon Dynamite had a bad hair day.

No Caption Provided

-What are you going to do today Napoleon?

-Whatever I feel like I wanna do. Gosh!

-...And that is dressing up as a female robin, with a male head.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

hope she becomes robin one day , seeing as she is in the N52 I hope she does

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

@soa said:

hope she becomes robin one day , seeing as she is in the N52 I hope she does

Agreed. After Tim and Dick, she's my 3rd favorite Robin.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By gmanfromheck
    viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wish they would have released an armored batman figure from the Dark Knight Returns.

Croi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Croi
    No Caption Provided

Numbuh1Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got that figure for my last birthday. I really dig it.

Floyd_Fenris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

deadcool_XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11  Edited By deadcool_XD
    COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By COBRAMORPH

while I consider a Robin to be a Bat-boy/Lad , I wouldnt have minded if she a future Batgirl. They just need to slutty up her appearance a bit, she looks like a man from every angle. She looks better in the New52, but seeing as how TDKR is set 20 years in the future, she shouldnt exist yet. I hate when comics dont respect the timelines. I just wish DC would use the ame-comi versions instead of the main-stream costumes

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Beiber?

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#17  Edited By The Impersonator
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

All I can see is a mix of Andy Warhol and Peter Pan, doused in New Wave(ry). I think it's awesome, haha.

Avatar image for thebattlecalculatot
    TheBattleCalculatot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

wallis_comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By wallis_comics

I read the dark knight returns and I'm eager to own figure one of dark knight members.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.