Follow

Carol Danvers

Character » Carol Danvers appears in 4390 issues.

After encountering the Kree hero Captain Marvel, Carol Danvers was accidentally subjected to otherworldly radiation that transformed her into a superhuman warrior. Calling herself Ms. Marvel, she established herself as one of the most powerful and prominent heroes and respected member of the Avengers. She has now adopted the mantle of Captain Marvel for herself.

Ms > Captain

• 62 results
    Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

Am I the only one that doesn't like the name/look of Captain Marvel as much as when Carol was Ms. Marvel?

I mean some times Carol looks cool as Captain Marvel, but because none of the artist at Marvel are instructed on what her actual hair cut is, and it changes every time a new artist draws her she usually looks like an ugly troll doll or something.

And Ms. Marvel sounded way cooler as a name then Captain Marvel to me.

What do you guys think? I feel like pretty much everyone is in love with her new look/name, but I'm not.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By w0nd

i know people who hate it. I dont mind it.

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind the look change...though I definitely prefer the long blond hair.

However, she will always be Ms. Marvel to me.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

To me there will only ever be 2 captain marvels and no offence to Carol but she isn't one of them.

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

I love it. Give it time; "Ms Marvel" was around for 40 years, we've only had a year of "Captain" Marvel. Personally, I prefer her with the long hair, Dexter Soy made the look work.

What I really want to see is the Kree helmet more, she tends not to use it in her own title.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By dernman

Don't like her being Captain Marvel, her Rainbow Brite costume, or her hairstyle.

Soupnazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing about being Ms. Marvel is that at the end of the day, it is the female equivalent to Captain Marvel. That's how it was presented--"my costume ties me to Captain Marvel, so my name can be Ms. Marvel" is a rough paraphrasing of the name's in-comic introduction. (I think--I've only ever seen the scan.) Not that it's not a nice name, but let's face it: Mar-Vell has been dead for 20 years, and Carol Danvers is a strong-willed, forefront character. There's simply no reason for her to retain the Ms. Marvel name, not when it makes her merely the equivalent, the next thing. As Kelly Sue DeConnick put it (more or less), it's not longer "I am the equivalent of," but "I am." I simply don't get why people wouldn't see that as a step up.

As for the costume, well, I think it's fantastic. The colors are bright and bold, and it actually covers her body. There's this one group of four panels I've seen multiple times where Carol is talking to Steve. They're just hanging out, being friends, you know, and in the last panel it shows them from the back, and as they're being all casual and friendly... she's standing there with most of her butt exposed. The old costume simply wasn't the sort of thing I can imagine anyone wanting to wear around the house, let alone Carol Danvers of all people. While whether or not you think it looks good or not, I hardly think it can be argued that the new costume is worse based on anything but aesthetics. And really, isn't being true to the character more important?

The hair, meanwhile... I really don't care. The difference in how her hair is drawn has become sort of a running joke in the circles I'm in, and I like it--it's funny and I really don't judge a character based on what their hair looks like. (Okay, so maybe it was a bit distracting in The Enemy Within 1... but that's the only time.)

Don't worry, though, Teerack--you aren't alone. Sales for Captain Marvel are already below the end of Carol's last solo run, and have been for a few months now. And while I'm sure there are people who love the look and name but don't care for DeConnick's writing, judging from what I've seen I don't doubt that there are tons more who threw a hissy-fit and didn't even try the series.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

You're not the only one, I hate it with an intensity. I could accept the name cause she has gone by it in the past in House of M, but the costume coupled with it is just unbearable. She looks like a star trek reject and the hair only adds to this effect.

Then theres the fact that her current series has been terrible, it's all over the place and so are the artists, it started with some real talent but has devolved into a child with parkinsons scribbling on paper.

She didn't need to change her name she became a hero in her own right, and then theres the way they handled it. They changed her name and costume then 3 months later release the TIE IN where they tastlessly ressurect Mar-vell a character people have wanted back for years, JUST so he could die again in the very next issue after passing on his mantle and it wasnt even worth enough for the main event, no they did this on the side lines

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

When I first saw pictures of the new look, I didn't really like it, but I got used to it pretty quickly, and I've been liking the series so far, apart from some art issues. I liked the previous costume, when drawn properly, but I like the new one too. And the name change is fine, and does kind of make sense. Seeing as the name Captain Marvel has become a name that passes from person to person, Carol seems worthy of it, and as Ms. Marvel was a name taken on to be similar to Captain Marvel, in the absence of a Captain Marvel, it makes sense that the title would go to her.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Love it !

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm alright with the costume. The weird helmet Pink-esque mohawk look bugs me, but I can live with it.

But I much prefer the title 'Ms. Marvel'. Aside from it being catchier (alliteration!), we've already got Captain America and Captain Universe, so a third Captain makes the Avengers lineup sound redundant. I realize this sounds petty and is possibly more related to the Avengers than to Carol, but it bugs me :P

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love it !

Me too.

To me, she owns both names -- I love her costume and hair, just need to make sure the artists keep her looking good. It's a shame about the numbers for her series -- I really enjoy it and is in my top five for sure.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AweSam

Ms! Shazam should be Captain Marvel.

Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lykopis

@fuchsia_nightingale:

I wish more books were like that. I think it's what's missing in most of them.

Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis: If it doesn't have spikes and fire it isn't appealing :P

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soupnazi said:

The thing about being Ms. Marvel is that at the end of the day, it is the female equivalent to Captain Marvel. That's how it was presented--"my costume ties me to Captain Marvel, so my name can be Ms. Marvel" is a rough paraphrasing of the name's in-comic introduction. (I think--I've only ever seen the scan.) Not that it's not a nice name, but let's face it: Mar-Vell has been dead for 20 years, and Carol Danvers is a strong-willed, forefront character. There's simply no reason for her to retain the Ms. Marvel name, not when it makes her merely the equivalent, the next thing. As Kelly Sue DeConnick put it (more or less), it's not longer "I am the equivalent of," but "I am." I simply don't get why people wouldn't see that as a step up.

I really hate how suddenly everyone thinks Carol is defined by a character that's died 30 years ago, because Marvel decided to use that reasoning to explain the name change.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By DanialCarroll

You're definitely not the only one. As @soupnazi said, the sales of her book have plummeted (#12 only did 18k), so I think Marvel will see this as a sign that the new direction didn't work. Sure it has its fans, but based on the numbers, they're obviously in the minority.

ShadowX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the costume, name, and series( although ive only been able to but the first trade due to limited budgets.)

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the name. I like the costume. I like the hair. Come at me nerds!

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have picked anyone of these before i would have even settled on what they went with...

Soupnazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

@soupnazi said:

I really hate how suddenly everyone thinks Carol is defined by a character that's died 30 years ago, because Marvel decided to use that reasoning to explain the name change.

And yet you prefer Ms. Marvel, which defines her as Captain Marvel's female equivalent. But if you can't be bothered to respond to what I'm actually saying, I don't think I'll continue responding at all.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I love it because she deserves to be the primary bearer of that mantle. Her previous title of "Ms. Marvel" was problematic because it defined her as a distaff counterpart. This is no longer the case, and I like "Captain Marvel" more than "Warbird" or "Binary".

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Teerack

@soupnazi said:

@teerack said:

@soupnazi said:

And yet you prefer Ms. Marvel, which defines her as Captain Marvel's female equivalent. But if you can't be bothered to respond to what I'm actually saying, I don't think I'll continue responding at all.

No I liked her as Ms. Marvel because I thought her character stood on her own two feet. When Mar-Vell died they had characters living in his shadows. First it was a Monica Rambeau, who sense then has taken her own names and become a real stands up character, and then after that was his son.

Mar-Vell also died in the early 80's when Marvel's only over lapping events where the infinity stuff. Now Marvel has one or two major events a year. It was Ms. Marvel who was there in House of M, Civil War, World War Hulk, Secret Invasion, Dark Region, Fear Its Self, Avengers vs. X-Men, etc. she did a lot. Ms. Marvel was Carol's mantle and any hero should feel honored to take up the legacy once Carol dies or retires.

It's a huge slap in the face to her character to say she needs to become Captain Marvel to symbolically become someone else's "equal."

I can't believe after such a rich career of super heroing people think so little of her to think going by Ms. Marvel means she's defining herself by Captain Marvel. Knowing her character she'd probably punch someone in the face for saying that.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dh69: Concept B is so cool :o

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By dernman

@teerack: We seem to agree on this. Also a common argument is "it's being more true to the character for her to wear this new costume" yet conveniently ignoring that if they had such a problem with the old one they could have simply turned the thigh highs into pants and the gloves into sleeves going from there and not only staying truer to her then this new costume but causing less problems with many of her fans.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like her as Capt. Marvel. Why not, she's earned it? Ms. Marvel sounds 60's throwback like she should be flying with the Big Red Cheese

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By ReVamp

I like the look, but the name change could have been done without. I don't really mind it, and I kinda like that she's "THE" Captain Marvel now, but it felt somewhat spontaneous when it was done, as if kind of to boost her credit, like she wasn't an already A-List hero or something. And when many consider her the premiere Super-heroine (like the counterpart to Wonder Woman, if you will) in the Marvel Universe (regardless of whether you agree), I just felt it didn't do her that much good.

Though on the other side, it gave her a new title, so I really can't complain, looks good to me.

Soupnazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Soupnazi

@teerack:

"Mar-Vell also died in the early 80's when Marvel's only over lapping events where the infinity stuff. Now Marvel has one or two major events a year. It was Ms. Marvel who was there in House of M, Civil War, World War Hulk, Secret Invasion, Dark Region, Fear Its Self, Avengers vs. X-Men, etc. she did a lot. Ms. Marvel was Carol's mantle and any hero should feel honored to take up the legacy once Carol dies or retires."

Fair point.

"I can't believe after such a rich career of super heroing people think so little of her to think going by Ms. Marvel means she's defining herself by Captain Marvel. Knowing her character she'd probably punch someone in the face for saying that."

The name Ms. Marvel was conceived as the equivalent to Captain Marvel. That's the name's origin, and that's why I think the name is defined by Captain Marvel.

"Also a common argument is "it's being more true to the character for her to wear this new costume" yet conveniently ignoring that if they had such a problem with the old one they could have simply turned the thigh highs into pants and the gloves into sleeves going from there and not only staying truer to her then this new costume but causing less problems with many of her fans."

I read that they initially tried that, but decided against it since they wanted a bigger change. For reference, here's a quick mockup I made with your suggestion:

No Caption Provided

If we're looking at it aesthetically... notice how it looks kind of plain? Monotone? Without the contrast color of her skin it ends up looking weird. To combat that, you could have an accent color in the shoes and gloves, which would look like this:

No Caption Provided

Which doesn't look that bad, but the yellow looks out of place. Remove the lightning bolt, though, and you have nothing there, so it makes sense to bring back the star, which has a more concentrated design that looks nice when paired with some red and yellow. At which point you've reached the new costume.

I looked at my issues of Captain Marvel again, and there's some discussion on both the name change and the costume change in the Rap with Cap section in the first few issues. Since I'm hoping you guys didn't stay away from the book just because of the name and costume change, I'm sure can read that to get more information on the change. There was also some stuff in an interview with Kelly Sue DeConnick and the series' editors for a women in comics course, but I can't find it. Maybe someone else knows what I'm talking about?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I like Ms. Marvel.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Teerack

I really wish they at least let her keep her own lightning bolt symbol. :[

@soupnazi said:

@teerack:

The name Ms. Marvel was conceived as the equivalent to Captain Marvel. That's the name's origin, and that's why I think the name is defined by Captain Marvel.

I know that was like the origin of it, but at the same time look at Bat-Girl. She used to be Batman's side kick and her name comes from his name, but sense then she's become her own hero, and when she lost her legs two girls became Bat-Girl in her place, and they felt they were honoring her name, not Batman's. To me the name change makes about as much sense as if Batman's name was something unisex like Captain Bat, and then when he died Barbra deiced to just go "Okay now I'm Captain Bat." because what best way to prove you're not defined by someone else is to dress up as them, use their name, and symbol. The whole thing just seems really contradictory.

Soupnazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Soupnazi

@teerack: I feel as if you're arguing against a point I'm not trying to make. I don't really disagree with most of what you're saying, so at this point I'd rather agree to disagree on some things.

micahparadise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Carol Danvers as Ms. Marvel! i am not a fan of the Captain Marvel uniform or her hair cut. To be honest , i think she works better on a team book rather than in her own title.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By darthfury78

I love Carol Danvers as Ms. Marvel! i am not a fan of the Captain Marvel uniform or her hair cut. To be honest , i think she works better on a team book rather than in her own title.

It depends on the writer's ability to make Carol's solo stories fun to read. Although we haven't seen any of her solo adventures outside of the Avengers Universe for quite some time.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind, at all. If anything, the title Captain Marvel is an honor, simply being the Ms. sounds degrading.

daedalus25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By daedalus25

I like her as Capt. Marvel. Why not, she's earned it? Ms. Marvel sounds 60's throwback like she should be flying with the Big Red Cheese

That's a bit hypocritical since the "Captain" moniker is even more of an archaic throwback. Carol isn't a Captain in ANY sense of the word. At least Captain America, Captain Atom, Captain Marvel (Mar-vell), etc. were all actually ranked as a Captain. There is no EARNING a superhero title of "Captain" any more than she earned the right to be called "Ms. Marvel".

The name change was plain and simple of ploy of Marvel to hold onto exclusive rights for the name "Captain Marvel" by having one of their characters use the name. They were bringing back Mar-vell, but that was causing a bit of a backlash, so they decided to give the name to Ms. Marvel in hopes that it would help bolster her character. Ironically, I think it's done quite the opposite.

Ms. Marvel was already a strong independent character who stood on her own two feet and was viewed as her OWN hero. By changing her to Captain Marvel, all they did was make her out to be a second-hand remake of a majorly popular hero. It's like when DC made Nightwing into Batman for a while. Yes, Dick Grayson started linked to Batman at the start, but when he became Nightwing he became his own hero and nobody viewed him as merely another Batman anymore.

Likewise, Ms. Marvel changed her costume nearly 40 years ago for the sole purpose of distancing herself from Captain Marvel. Over the decades, she became her own hero, and by the 2000s, nobody was even thinking about Captain Marvel anymore when they saw her.

This whole Captain Marvel charade is a big flop, and Marvel needs to revert her back to Ms. Marvel as soon as possible. She's still Ms. Marvel in other media such as television shows and video games. And I'm sure Marvel realizes how big a flop her Captain Marvel book was compared to Brian Reed's Ms. Marvel title that lasted 50 issues.

I know that there are some "Captain" Marvel fans out there. You'll find fans of practically anything in this world. But you guys had your fun with this little experiment. The rest of us want our tried and true superhero back. Bring back Ms. Marvel!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 the_stegman  Moderator

I don't mind it, I actually prefer her new costume too.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love everything about the change.

strejda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daedalus25: What about Colonel Marvel? That does actually fit her rank and sounds more like she's doing her own thing.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the name of a character and her aesthetic features are what keeps you away from the Captain Marvel book, then you are not a fan of the character, Ms. or otherwise. Carol Danvers is still Carol Danvers -- it's ridiculous to claim the character is "ruined" just because of a name change, haircut and uniform.

TheWolverine04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheWolverine04

She'll always be Ms. Marvel to me. The name change is pointless, and her new costume and haircut need to go away.

This is how I like Ms. Marvel.

No Caption Provided

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

It is more authority to be captain. What authority rank is she anyway? I get that you miss old novelties but she has been leader. She is part of the US government and S.H.I.E.L.D so she is not civilian.

daedalus25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strejda said:

@daedalus25: What about Colonel Marvel? That does actually fit her rank and sounds more like she's doing her own thing.

That would definitely make more sense than "Captain" Marvel, but it would be pointless for 2 reasons.

1. Ms. Marvel fans still want her as Ms. Marvel. Changing it to anything else is undesirable.

2. The whole reason for the change was so that Marvel would have a character named "Captain Marvel."

The best solution would have been to create a brand new "Captain Marvel" or use one of the previous Captain Marvels again. And leave Ms. Marvel alone.

daedalus25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis said:

If the name of a character and her aesthetic features are what keeps you away from the Captain Marvel book, then you are not a fan of the character, Ms. or otherwise. Carol Danvers is still Carol Danvers -- it's ridiculous to claim the character is "ruined" just because of a name change, haircut and uniform.

What?? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. You can call her Carol Danvers all you want, but this ISN'T the same person. Any competent writer who has written Carol in the past would NOT have her changing her name to be Captain Marvel or wearing a costume similar to his. As I already stated, 40 years ago Carol created her iconic black costume so that she WOULDN'T be associated with Captain Marvel. She is Ms. Marvel and she is proud of that. The current Captain Marvel book is nothing more than poorly written fanfiction. It's because I'm such a fan of Ms. Marvel that I refuse to read it. I've spent 1000s of dollars supporting Ms. Marvel, so your claim that I'm not a fan is rather insulting.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

@daedalus25:

Wait she wants to avoid being associated with Captain Marvel, yet she still has the name Marvel. Couldn't she used another name so to be not associated with him?

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

It's an insult to Carol that she's been reduced to a legacy character.

Though that whole stupid series has been an insult to Carol.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis said:

What?? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. You can call her Carol Danvers all you want, but this ISN'T the same person. Any competent writer who has written Carol in the past would NOT have her changing her name to be Captain Marvel or wearing a costume similar to his. As I already stated, 40 years ago Carol created her iconic black costume so that she WOULDN'T be associated with Captain Marvel. She is Ms. Marvel and she is proud of that. The current Captain Marvel book is nothing more than poorly written fanfiction. It's because I'm such a fan of Ms. Marvel that I refuse to read it. I've spent 1000s of dollars supporting Ms. Marvel, so your claim that I'm not a fan is rather insulting.

Don't agree with you -- either you are a fan of the character or you're not. I can understand why fans of Spider Man aren't purchasing Superior Spider Man because it's not Peter Parker -- Captain Marvel is still Carol Danvers. I like her new look and I like her taking ownership of the Captain Marvel name. But hey, you have your opinion, I have mine.

I have enjoyed the series so far and plan to continue supporting it despite declining sales indicating it's going to be cancelled soon. That's what fans of a character do. If this new rendering of Carol is translated by you as not being the character you are a fan of, so be it -- I can recognize that. To me, this is still the superhero I have enjoyed for years and hopefully will continue to do so, regardless of costume and name change.

TommyJones1945

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally agree with the OP. That butch isn't Captain marvel. Hate the hairstyle, hate the helmet, hate the costume, so...I hate basically every new thing they employed. Carol will always be best known as Ms Marvel, where she was actually decent to look at. Besides this is the real Captain Marvel.

No Caption Provided

daedalus25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis said:

@daedalus25 said:

@lykopis said:

Don't agree with you -- either you are a fan of the character or you're not. I can understand why fans of Spider Man aren't purchasing Superior Spider Man because it's not Peter Parker -- Captain Marvel is still Carol Danvers. I like her new look and I like her taking ownership of the Captain Marvel name. But hey, you have your opinion, I have mine.

I have enjoyed the series so far and plan to continue supporting it despite declining sales indicating it's going to be cancelled soon. That's what fans of a character do. If this new rendering of Carol is translated by you as not being the character you are a fan of, so be it -- I can recognize that. To me, this is still the superhero I have enjoyed for years and hopefully will continue to do so, regardless of costume and name change.

"Either you are a fan of the character or you're not?" What kind of nonsense is that? You can be a fan a character as written by most authors and not a fan of how others have treated them. It doesn't make you not a fan of the character. Just because you choose to blindly follow a character despite how badly an author chooses to butcher her, it doesn't make you a better fan. If someone decided to take over writing Batman and decided to have him run around in a pink leotard and shine rainbows at villains, would anyone who decided to stop reading not be a true Batman fan?

If you enjoy this new direction Carol has been taken in, then fine I respect your opinion. But don't pretend you're a better fan because of it. Carol Danvers isn't a real person. It's not like she could stand up for herself and say, "Hey! There's no way in hell I would put on that marching band outfit and call myself Captain Marvel." She does whatever her current writer tells her to do. So just because a "fan" likes a character as written by a majority of authors, it doesn't mean he has to like what EVERY author does to her. So cut it with the judgmental accusations already.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.