Follow

Carol Danvers

Character » Carol Danvers appears in 4389 issues.

After encountering the Kree hero Captain Marvel, Carol Danvers was accidentally subjected to otherworldly radiation that transformed her into a superhuman warrior. Calling herself Ms. Marvel, she established herself as one of the most powerful and prominent heroes and respected member of the Avengers. She has now adopted the mantle of Captain Marvel for herself.

It's Official! Ms. Marvel is the new Captain Marvel!

• 152 results
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By InnerVenom123

@The Dark Huntress said:

Yes...heaven forbid not every female has the entirety of her legs show or is flashing some T&A. Eyeroll

Her original look would be fine if they added pants to it.

And it would look much, much better than this.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#102  Edited By Strider1992

I like the costume but the mask on the other hand has to go! God that's ugly lol!

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#103  Edited By dernman

This is my favorite. Here she also has her own symbol.

Jetshade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By Jetshade
    @Vance Astro said:
    Is there a big deal being made over Ms.Marvel being Captain Marvel? She's still Ms.Marvel,The company is just changing her name as a marketing gimmick.It's Marvel..what do you expect? Don't let that be the reason you don't read it.I really hope this book does well when it comes out.It's time Marvel has a premier female superhero that can compete with Wonder Woman,Supegirl,Batgirl etc.Not saying it's a given that she will but I'm hoping.Carol deserves the recognition.Her book was amazing before Dark Reign ruined it.
    I agree. Like I said above I'm going to at least give the book a chance before passing complete judgment. I still hate her new look though.

@Vance Astro said: 
    The comic.I don't care what she wears as long as Carol is in her own book.

Commendable, but I don't really believe it. Comic books are a graphic medium and what a character wears and how they appear is a huge part of who they are.  If Bruce Wayne started fighting crime in a pink koala costume, he wouldn't really be Batman anymore, would he? And you can bet there would be readership fallout. I'm exaggerating to make a point, but the point needs to be made. You can say you don't care what a favorite character wears, and maybe you don't initially... but at some point, you will.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#105  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Jetshade said:

I agree. Like I said above I'm going to at least give the book a chance before passing complete judgment. I still hate her new look though.

I don't think there is anything wrong with her look.I think more of the problem is that she's taking someone's mantle instead of being built as her own character but like I said, it's Marvel..what do you expect? A good artist can make just about any costume look good though, not to say I actually have a problem with the new costume in the first place as far as how it looks.When Ross first put out the images of Bucky's new costume..I hated it.Once other artists got their hands on it,I started liking it.

@Jetshade said:

Commendable, but I don't really believe it. Comic books are a graphic medium and what a character wears and how they appear is a huge part of who they are.  If Bruce Wayne started fighting crime in a pink koala costume, he wouldn't really be Batman anymore, would he? And you can bet there would be readership fallout. I'm exaggerating to make a point, but the point needs to be made. You can say you don't care what a favorite character wears, and maybe you don't initially... but at some point, you will.

I was exaggerating also,my point was only that that whether you read the book or not shouldn't be based on whether you like her costume.I hated MOST of the redesigns for New 52 but I still read their new books.The costumes aren't so far off from their original designs that a big deal has to be made about it.I think her look is being more scrutinized than the fact she's taking Captain Marvel's mantle without good reason.Why does their need to be a Captain Marvel? What does change her name,hairstyle,and haircut do for her enemies? That's what I have a problem with.Marvel will do anything for a gimmick.
    mythogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By mythogma

For all those complaining about Carols hair being short Kelly Sues official statement about Carol's new hairdo from her twitter account: "It's not short. It's slicked back. Artists have interpreted that differently."

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Strider1992

@ReVamp said:

Let me reiterate.

• Carol Getting a book: Yes
    • Carol's Costume: No.
    • Carol being Captain Marvel: No.

I don't think her costume is that bad. Depends on who's drawing it:

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#108  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

love it ^^

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#109  Edited By ReVamp

@Strider92: I think you're actually quite right, that suit does look much better now. I hope they really go somewhere with this series. While its true that I think that the name of Captain Marvel isn't necessary at all for the character of Carol to grow and thus because of this I don't think its the right direction, I still think that something good can definitely come out of this and hell. I fkcing love me some Carol, so I want to see her book do good.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#110  Edited By X35

Now that art I like a lot more ^_^

Still don't really see the need for the new costume/haircut.

Idk why do they think taking a character who's close to becoming iconic and then giving her a complete redesign in hopes of making her more iconic is a good move >.<

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Strider1992

@X35 said:

Idk why do they think taking a character who's close to becoming iconic and then giving her a complete redesign in hopes of making her more iconic is a good move >.<

I agree. I was simply trying to show that her new costume and hair isn't really as bad as everyone is thinking. Just give her to a better artist and voila.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By X35

@Strider92: I do really like that art (Dodsons ftw), and if we get back to the Carol/Spidey relationship AWESOME....... but no matter what, no matter how many great artists make the new look look fantastic, i don't think there's any sustenance at all to the argument that giving her a new costume was a productive move at all.

It's like if you invented the wheel, and it was quite popular in underground circles and then it started crossing over to the mainstream and people were starting to recognise the wheel as an awesome invention and then the you suddenly decide "I'M GOING TO MAKE IT SQUARE".

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Strider1992

@X35 said:

@Strider92: I do really like that art (Dodsons ftw), and if we get back to the Carol/Spidey relationship AWESOME....... but no matter what, no matter how many great artists make the new look look fantastic, i don't think there's any sustenance at all to the argument that giving her a new costume was a productive move at all.

It's like if you invented the wheel, and it was quite popular in underground circles and then it started crossing over to the mainstream and people were starting to recognise the wheel as an awesome invention and then the you suddenly decide "I'M GOING TO MAKE IT SQUARE".

I think Avenging Spider-man 9 (the comic that cover is from) is going to be the only one of that series i'm going to pick up. Carol and Peter's dialogue is always pretty fun to read.

I'm still gonna miss Ms Marvel though. Marvel seem to being doing that with a few characters recently. Kaine becoming the Scarlet Spider for example. They should have let him keep the name Tarantula and build his own character rather than simply have him take over Ben's mantle (who he was trying to kill 90% of the time I might add lol). I have the feeling that i'm gonna get the same feeling reading the new Captain Marvel as I do reading Scarlet Spider even though i'm enjoying that series immensely.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By X35

@Strider92: I don't have a problem about her taking up the Captain Marvel name.......it was an idea they toyed with as far back as like House of M......but it's kinda just that they spent so long establishing Ms Marvel costume/look and it was going so well, like if this series had her in her classic costume, it could've helped her and could've been like her big break through... but as i said i think it's just counter-productive to render the last 8 or so years of building up identity and recognition in Ms Marvel to then toss it to the wayside like this >.<

As for Kaine, totally agree. Love the book, but it's such a horrible idea on Marvel's part....its basically just a big tease for the people who wanted an actual Scarlet Spider book

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Strider1992

@X35: Ah I see what your saying now. Yeah that is pretty pointless spending all that time building up her character, establishing her as a respected member of the marvel world and then suddenly deciding "You know what? Lets give her a new title and costume derived from a currently dead hero. Screw the ones she's built for herself! Our idea is better!"

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By PrinceIMC

Maybe this is the first step to getting a Captain Marvel movie. There wouldn't be a point doing a Captain Marvel movie that focuses purely on Mar-Vell since he's been dead for decades. If they're working on a script where Carol meets an alien and becomes Captain Marvel that'll get people to go out and read a book with her in it.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

#117  Edited By TDK_1997

I don't have any problems with the fact that she will be Captain Marvell but Marvel better change the costume because it is awful and no matter how many artists make it,it still SUCKS!

Lion_Heart22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Lion_Heart22

The costume is bland and generic, but could have some potential. My problem is with the hair. She looks like a rejected design for Power Girl. I wouldn't be surprised if it actually was a rejected redesign for Kara Zor L.

That, and the author is extremely disrespectful of the history of Ms Marvel. She talks trash about her old costume, because OMG that's so sexist! Nevermind how she had become her own character far from the Mar-vell spinoff character she used to be. Nevermind she had become a great hero, with her own distinguished looks, symbol, career and attitude. Your female character can be as srong and independent as she wants, but if she's showing skin, brother, that's a negative stereotype!

Also: Oh no, we'll make her more independent by returning her back full circle towards Captain Marvel!

Listen lady, Superman and Batman wear manthongs over their pants and no one's complaining. You can't build upon something if you don't respect what has come before. That's the mistake the movie-folks always make "Oh, that costume is just silly. Put a bunch of leather and zippers on it!".

I'm not saying it'll blow. I trust the character and I like that she's getting this much attention soon because Carol Danvers is one of my favorites, but I don't want her to become a cheesy posterchild with political discourse for women's liberation. Let her be the great, strong character that she is, not strong man or strong woman, but strong character.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By X35

@Lion_Heart22 said:

I don't want her to become a cheesy posterchild with political discourse for women's liberation. Let her be the great, strong character that she is, not strong man or strong woman, but strong character.

No Caption Provided
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#120  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Strider92 said:

@ReVamp said:

Let me reiterate.

• Carol Getting a book: Yes
    • Carol's Costume: No.
    • Carol being Captain Marvel: No.

I don't think her costume is that bad. Depends on who's drawing it:

No Caption Provided
    LOVE IT!!!

She looks way better without the mask/helmet and her hair doesn't look as short in this image! Plus I love Dodson's art!!! ^___^
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By ReVamp

Well, it does kinda look like Power Girl now...

Also, I love the Marvel in front with Spidey behind. Love it very much, I don't know if I even mentioned that actually.

daedalus25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#122  Edited By daedalus25

@X35 said:

The Carol/Peter relationship can't work. Spider-Man is by far the more popular of the two characters, arguably the most popular Marvel character there is. When people read a Spider-Man comic book, they want to see Spidey in the spotlight. They want him to take out the villain and be the big hero of the story. The problem is that Ms. Marvel is many leagues above him in power level. Every time she appears in his book, the writer will have to come up with some contrived excuse for her not simply punching the villain into space or knocking him unconscious with a single blast. It worked much better when Spidey was with Mary Jane or Black Cat. Sure a writer can accomplish Spider-Man shining above Carol once or twice. But after a while it just starts to appear ridiculous.

I will of course 100% agree that this costume and name change for Ms. Marvel is utter nonsense. It's being advertised as a "promotion" for her, but it is very much the opposite. She's going from her own identity to a Captain Marvel wannabe. I was reading her bio here on this site and came across a section that said exactly what I've been trying to tell people (describing her black and gold costume):

After a battle that briefly reunited Carol with her old flame Captain Marvel, her original Ms. Marvel costume was badly damaged. Carol decided that she had finally come into her own as a superhero, and wanted a new costume that was uniquely hers rather than being a reflection of Captain Marvel's.

I can't support the new Captain Marvel book at all. The sooner sales flop on this book, the sooner Marvel realizes this is a BAD IDEA, and Carol needs to go back to being Ms. Marvel where the fans want her to be. I only hope the last sentence from that same quoted section holds true here:

The costume became Ms. Marvel's signature look, and though Carol would set it aside on certain occasions (once when she became Binary, and another time when she changed her code name to Warbird), she has always gone back to this costume.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By X35

@daedalus25: Idk i think a talented writer could easily make it "work". I mean, last time they were kind of an "Item" it wasn't even featured in his book much. They don't have to be in each other's arms 24/7, so she wouldn't exactly be tagging along to fight Shocker or Sandman exactly but when Ms Marvel would interfere in Spidey's outings it could be played up as an interesting parallel to all of Peter's previous relationships (particularly Black Cat) where he's very much been the one "of power" so to speak. it's also a welcome and completely different type of relationship for Peter which is surely only a good thing.

i'm not saying they should do this, but i defo think a talented writer could make the relationship work. i would say it worked well when they were setting it up, to the point that people still remember it and wish for it to be readdressed.

Ms Marvel #47
    Ms Marvel #47
    Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Strider1992

@daedalus25: I agree the power difference is going to make it nigh impossible for that pairing to work. Even though the banter between the two had been quite amusing and I don't mind the personality difference. They just won't be able to make a plausible story out it. They'd need to choose someone around his powerlevel to keep the whole thing within the realms of possibility. Spider-woman for example.

I also agree that Ms Marvel's costume was so much better than this one and that her character has basically been thrown out the window by Marvel for no good reason. I was just posting that picture to show that sometimes a good artist drawing it can make it look better (Yay Dodson) as everyone seemed to be acting exceedingly negative towards the suit even though it isn't that bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- The Captain Marvel title should have went to someone who needed the exposure, many comic readers know Ms Marvel a lot better due to her recent importance than Captain Marvel considering his day in the sun was a while ago

daedalus25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By daedalus25

@X35 said:

@daedalus25: Idk i think a talented writer could easily make it "work". I mean, last time they were kind of an "Item" it wasn't even featured in his book much. They don't have to be in each other's arms 24/7, so she wouldn't exactly be tagging along to fight Shocker or Sandman exactly but when Ms Marvel would interfere in Spidey's outings it could be played up as an interesting parallel to all of Peter's previous relationships (particularly Black Cat) where he's very much been the one "of power" so to speak. it's also a welcome and completely different type of relationship for Peter which is surely only a good thing.

I would agree if this were in another book (like in her own or Avengers), but that cover is from Spider-Man's book. And I would to think if my girlfriend were in danger, I'd rush to her side to save her. It would only make sense for Ms. Marvel to do the same, no matter how small the threat seemed to be.

daedalus25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By daedalus25

@Strider92 said:

@daedalus25:I also agree that Ms Marvel's costume was so much better than this one and that her character has basically been thrown out the window by Marvel for no good reason. I was just posting that picture to show that sometimes a good artist drawing it can make it look better (Yay Dodson) as everyone seemed to be acting exceedingly negative towards the suit even though it isn't that bad.

I've actually seen an image that made the new costume not look that bad in my eyes:

No Caption Provided

The hair makes a BIG difference! It's still inferior to her current costume. But if they kept the hair, I might give the new look a chance.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Strider1992

@daedalus25: Yep long hair definitely works better.

fivestarga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By fivestarga

@hectorsquall said:

OH MY F-ING GOD!!! That looks AWFUL!!! (the new look I mean)

@War Killer said:

I would have rather her gone back to her original look as it was based off of Mar-Vell's costume anyways.
    Ms.Marvel #39
    Ms.Marvel #39

THIS! That was a great look, it would have been 1000x better.

First DC messed up with Power Girl's new look (outfit AND face) and now Marvel does the same with Ms. Marvel!

Two of my favorite female characters!

No Caption Provided

You realize the Ms. Marvel on the top in the red body suit is NOT Carl Danvers but Karla Sofen (Moonstone) inpersonating her.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @fivestarga said:

You realize the Ms. Marvel on the top in the red body suit is NOT Carl Danvers but Karla Sofen (Moonstone) inpersonating her.

That is Carol's original costume though.
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#131  Edited By dernman

I think the black one is best out of all of them. Also I said this before but she spent years trying to get out of Captain Marvel's shadow and not be a spinoff character or whatever you call it. Now she has finally reached the point where you don't thin Captain Marvel when you think of her and you go and throw he right back into his shadow.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Dernman said:
    I think the black one is best out of all of them. Also I said this before but she spent years trying to get out of Captain Marvel's shadow and not be a spinoff character or whatever you call it. Now she has finally reached the point where you don't thin Captain Marvel when you think of her and you go and throw he right back into his shadow.
    She's not really in his shadow because he's not around to cast one.Ms.Marvel is the dominant frontrunner for Kree Hybrids.
    hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By hectorsquall

@Vance Astro said:

@fivestarga said:

That is Carol's original costume though.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was going to say. I chose it because that's one of my favorite pic with this costume ;p

@fivestarga: Nice avatar btw!

@daedalus25 said:

I've actually seen an image that made the new costume not look that bad in my eyes:

No Caption Provided

The hair makes a BIG difference! It's still inferior to her current costume. But if they kept the hair, I might give the new look a chance.

Agreed 100%. That looks 1000x better than the other pics in the previews. If they choose an artist who doesn't make her look like a drag queen I will probably give this look a chance ;p

Just to be clear, I have no problem with drag queens and I don't mean to insinuate that all women with short hair look like them. It's just that Ms. Marvel is a great female character who is supposed to be strong, confident and "sexy". There's a lot of women who look beautiful with short hair but Ed McGuinness did'n't make a great job showing us that with his covers for Captain Marvel #1 and Captain Marvel #2.

Thank God he's only working on the covers for this book (and cover art is known to be misleading) and the interior artist can probably tweak the look a little bit ;p

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By X35

I'm really going to miss Ms. Marvel representing the ultimate woman and being an aspirational figure. :'(

Ms. Marvel #27 by Greg Horn
    Ms. Marvel #27 by Greg Horn
    WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#135  Edited By WW-Fan

aww why can't they just use the old costume it looked so much better!

Avatar image for invisible_witch
    Invisible_Witch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Invisible_Witch

The new old isn't so bad..

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#137  Edited By gravitypress

Lame look. To bad Photon didnt get her name back.

Protoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Protoon

I think this is a great move from Marvel and I can't wait!!!

I think Carol is the best female character Marvel has (and one of my favourite characters period) and I am so happy that she's back in the spotlight.

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Crimsonlord53

How come when you put her in spandex leggings she ends up with thunder thighs?

Yuck.

Still miss the boots.

TheCommissar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#140  Edited By TheCommissar

I prefer Ms. Marvel's black costume, but the new one isn't too bad, as some alternate takes on Carol in it has shown, either with the lack of a mask, the return to her longer hair style, or both. What mainly bothers me is that when I look at that costume, I don't see Ms. Marvel, nor do I even see the influence of Captain Marvel (as in Mar-Vell). Instead I see some kinda pseudo-Superman look, which just isn't right. I'm most definitely not saying that she looks like some kind of Superman rip-off. Certainly not. Just that it kinda feels like that sort of generic super hero costume style.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By primebonnick

i don't like the new look she doesn't look as hot sigh. Oh well so does this mean no chance for she and spider man getting together, cause damn spider better be careful she doesn't punch him into space. Still if she does change costume sigh i hope they make her keep the long hair its suits her better. I will miss the black costume i had so many fantasies about that, now she will be captain marvel and not her own superhero like she wanted too. Kinda poor character development to me

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Strider1992

@Primebonnick said:

i don't like the new look she doesn't look as hot sigh. Oh well so does this mean no chance for she and spider man getting together, cause damn spider better be careful she doesn't punch him into space. Still if she does change costume sigh i hope they make her keep the long hair its suits her better. I will miss the black costume i had so many fantasies about that, now she will be captain marvel and not her own superhero like she wanted too. Kinda poor character development to me

I dunno Dodson seems to have pulled off her new look very well:

TheCommissar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#143  Edited By TheCommissar

@Strider92 said:

@Primebonnick said:

She looks better with in those pictures, probably in part because her hair is longer, but the new costume still makes me think more Superman than Ms.---er, "Captain"---Marvel.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#144  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @TheCommissar said:

@Strider92 said:

@Primebonnick said:

She looks better with in those pictures, probably in part because her hair is longer, but the new costume still makes me think more Superman than Ms.---er, "Captain"---Marvel.

Is that Rikki Barnes? O_O
    No Caption Provided
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Crimsonlord53 said:

How come when you put her in spandex leggings she ends up with thunder thighs?

She had thunder thighs before.
    Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Strider1992

@War Killer: Dunno. We'll have to wait for Avenging spider-man 9 and 10.

ChaosMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By ChaosMarvel

I see they haven't completely dropped the Spider-man and Ms Marvel thing. I wish they'd either do something about it or get some closure on it because its pretty annoying tbh.

Avatar image for capelesscrusader
    capelesscrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

Actually got a chance to read the first issue when Kelly Sue Deconnick came to town this month. It looks pretty sweet.

I wrote a pretty good summation over on my website if anyone wants to check it out. Found out what the first arc is going to be about. Was also told that Carol's addiction will NOT be a major factor in this title. Guess it was decided that she'd beaten that demon and deserved to move on.

CapelessCrusader.org

fullmetalquach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By fullmetalquach

i love that she has her own book now, but that costume is so bad, especially compared to all of her old ones, and id prefer her as ms marvel

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good - Marvel is taking another shot at a female led solo series

Bad - Not sure it's going to survive unless they tie it into something to spur interest

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.