Follow

Carol Danvers

Character » Carol Danvers appears in 4389 issues.

After encountering the Kree hero Captain Marvel, Carol Danvers was accidentally subjected to otherworldly radiation that transformed her into a superhuman warrior. Calling herself Ms. Marvel, she established herself as one of the most powerful and prominent heroes and respected member of the Avengers. She has now adopted the mantle of Captain Marvel for herself.

Isn't "Captain Marvel" is a HUGE step back for Carol?

• 77 results
    vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@vascillator: Well still good to see ya :)

(only other guy I know who loves Wonder Man)

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nate-grey:If she would be the first hero named like that I wouldnt even mind, but under those circumstances I find it demeaning exactly the other way around heh

@captainmarvel4ever: Yeah hes super powerful and wildly unpopular how could I not love him ;)

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@vascillator: Hahahaha, oh I get the feeling you and I would get along very well in real life :)

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Hehe, if Ill ever organize a Wonder Man fan convention Ill give you a shout ;)

Nate-Grey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vascillator: For an ordinary woman, maybe. For a military woman, no.

I think this is one of those situations where neither of us is going to be swayed.

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nate-grey: Seems so ;) I dont consider her military rank to have had any impact on the name change. In the comics she took it cause it was Mar-Vells title and the real reason is the Marvel/DC lawsuit ofc.

Nate-Grey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vascillator: I think it did. And the Captain Marvel name had last been used 4 years prior to Carol taking the name, by the Skrull Captain Marvel, only 1 year if you count the Captain Mar-Vell of the Cancerverse. I don't think it was likely to go out of copyright any time soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-57af58bda2d61
    deactivated-57af58bda2d61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nate-grey: Well they seem to be forced to put out books with that name to keep it, I mean all the former Captain Marvels kinda give away how desperate they must have been.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

@outside_85: Like you can see from the picture above Ms these days is much more than just the counterpart to Mister and also anything but degrading. Quite the opposite actually.

Carol was Colonel not Major that was a screwup somewhere in a comic. And you gotta decide if its due to her military rank or not, cause if its not (which is the more likely thing) then her title is just symbolic and worth nothing.

A single magazine cover and name doesn't mean anything.

I was reading off her wiki and it says major, which I think I have seen in a book somewhere as well, do the air forces even have colonels? And actually we don't because Marvel can change the reason behind it with the very next issue if they wanted to. Fact is that it is serves multiple purposes, homage to at least 2 other people and a reminder that Carol actually had a rank in the armed forces. Whereas Ms is a polite way to avoid asking whenever she is married or not. And if you pulled it out into 'Miss', you be using it because she didn't have any other titles... which she does.

Nate-Grey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they were really that desperate, they'd put out a miniseries about some of Mar-Vell's past adventures or something. That said, the various series have been mixed in quality until now - though Peter David's series was delightfully surreal.

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Theres actually the whole female liberation movement behind that, so its a bit more than just a cover.

As for the title:

No Caption Provided

So its not her military rank and a honorary form of address is better than some thought up title imo.

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nate-grey: Well they dream of having a really successful superhero with that name. If they have to put out the name anyway why not make money with it. So far its only been dreams.though.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Theres actually the whole female liberation movement behind that, so its a bit more than just a cover.

As for the title:

No Caption Provided

So its not her military rank and a honorary form of address is better than some thought up title imo.

It's just a magazine and it was named in the 70'ties, around the same time Carol showed up. It's a case of a title that was fine once, not still being so when there are better alternatives today.

Well that's one instance. Regardless both ranks are above captain so damage is the same. And in my opinion 'Captain' is a better title than 'Ms.' that she may not specifically be a ranking captain doesn't matter so much since the name is one she inherited, there's plenty of background stuff support it as a homage and she at the end of the day still actually has a rank, it's just higher... unlike a few Majors I can think of.

Nate-Grey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vascillator: The whole 'demoted' thing was a joke, you do realise that? And Captain is at least an acknowledgement of her military service.

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By vascillator

@outside_85: Well it comes down to personal taste for the Captain title then. To me its a lame and inferior title. In the end she took it cause of Mar-vell and that makes her a copy cat title user, which is a downgrade over having anything original.

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nate-grey: i said nothing about Caps joke, she said shes a Colonel thats the point. And its not, it would be if they used her actual title, its an acknowledgement of her being a Mar-Vell gender swap.

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
    redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of feel it was stupid to have her go back to that name, only because Billy has been associated with that name for forever, I'm actually interested to know how Marvel would have even had a case since Captain Marvel(Shazaam) predates Marvel's Captain Marvel(and the trademark) by over a decade

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redbird3rdboywonder: Heres a nice readup on the whole thing, also explaining why Marvel needs to keep a Captain Marvel book going. To sum it up every single Captain Marvel character in Marvel comics only exists for the sole reason to secure the trademark.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2005/08/18/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-12/

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
    linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's extremely clear that the answer to this is... no.

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
    redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redbird3rdboywonder: Heres a nice readup on the whole thing, also explaining why Marvel needs to keep a Captain Marvel book going. To sum it up every single Captain Marvel character in Marvel comics only exists for the sole reason to secure the trademark.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2005/08/18/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-12/

Thank you. So while DC owned the copyright of the Captain Marvel name, Marvel releases the books to trademark it. I understand now

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Well it comes down to personal taste for the Captain title then. To me its a lame and inferior title. In the end she took it cause of Mar-vell and that makes her a copy cat title user, which is a downgrade over having anything original.

And to me its the other way around; that Ms marks her as the inferior counterpart to a male character, which is both damaging and horribly untrue since no one gives a hoot about Mar-vel :) Regarding originality... I have to pass Ms as well, since it's just Captain Marvels code name minus one word and tagged on another.

Anyways, shall we agree to disagree on this matter? :)

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It was a step back for me. If they really wanted to "advance" they wouldn't have use Captain Mar-Vell's name.

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Yeah I guess we wont come to terms with that ;)

Nate-Grey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vascillator: I think it's going to have to be agreeing to disagree here, too. This argument is getting very circular.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind, I kind of like it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.