Follow

Carol Danvers

Character » Carol Danvers appears in 4390 issues.

After encountering the Kree hero Captain Marvel, Carol Danvers was accidentally subjected to otherworldly radiation that transformed her into a superhuman warrior. Calling herself Ms. Marvel, she established herself as one of the most powerful and prominent heroes and respected member of the Avengers. She has now adopted the mantle of Captain Marvel for herself.

carol danvers, marvels leading lady?

micahparadise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just wanted to hear from my fellow viners on this matter.

Do you think marvel knows what to do with carol danvers?

It felt like when she took the Captain Marvel title that marvel was trying to make her akin to what wonder woman is in the dc universe. However by reading her stories it just doesnt seem like they know what to do with her.

First she got lost in the many characters in jonathan hickmans avengers then she was placed in the guardians of the galaxy. At first i thought it was a weird grouping but after much thought carol has outerspace origins (the acquiring her ability by a kree machine and then the repowering to become binary by the brood).

I personally think she could be a major character in the marvel universe if some good writers get a hold of her.

what do you think?

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree. I think that writer Kelly Sue had the opportunity to make her into a unique character by keeping her grounded. Instead, she made Carol into a Space Cop. I think that she wants to bring Carol to Binary era roots. Another thing that she could have taken advantage of was her developing friendship with Peter Parker, which has interest a lot of readers. For example during her run on Avengers Assemble, Kelly Sue could have used Spider-Man, Black Widow, and Spider-Woman for her stories, as well as another Captain Marvel and Spider-Man team-up. But she never did any of that before the series got cancelled.

I do agree that under Jon Hickman, most of the Bendis era character line up got lost in the stories as he had way too many characters, with a preference on the lesser known characters.

I think that Kelly Sue should have worked with Carol working at the Pentagon was Director of Intergalactic Relations that could have tied into to Guardians of the Galaxy.

micahparadise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthfury78 I love that Director of intergalactic relations angle!!!

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mark_Stephen

I'm old enough to have bought the characters first title when it came out and I liked her then and for a long time after that. Now I still think of her as the hypocritical fascist of civil war and after that Tony's puppet leader in Avengers and I'm no longer a fan of the character. At the moment she does have potential. But marvel is pushing nearly all of it's female characters so I think she's getting a bit lost in the crowd. KSD is a good writer and she's got support from a fan base. On the other hand the entire marvel universe is about to die so while Carol is off in space having adventures and saving people it's really pointless as all the people she is saving are going to be wiped out in the incursion anyway, or at least a lot of them. Maybe after the reboot marvel can build something with her, but right now the marvel writers at the event level are more concerned with tearing things down than they are with building things up.

micahparadise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its just so sad as i think carol always had the potential to be marvels female flagship character. Even at her debut and her first codename Ms. Marvel i thought that was what they would eventually be steered in that direction (she carrying the Marvel name).

It did take me a while to finally like the captain marvel name and new more military like outfit when marvel "rebooted" her ( especially seeing as her ms marvel outfit made her a feminine bombshell).

And mark you are right. Marvel is focusing on strengthening and highlighting their female characters ( hence the all female xmen team, storm series and now spiderwoman) But hopefully marvel will focus more on carol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

I think now Storm is probably the main female characther of Marvel because her popularity. But if Captain Marvel´s movie will be good film, she probably will have big role on movies and in the comics. But i dont be suprise if Miss Marvel or Medusa started to be consider the most important female characthers.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It all depends on who appeals to the public more. Storm is better known, but only as a member of the X-men. Heck the woman who tried to murder Carol -Rogue- is better known and Carol's only known to the public as Ms. Marvel (in at least 3 cartoon series). Marvel can push her with the stolen name but at this point there's no guarantee that she'll catch on.

fps_dean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I have always felt like her supporting cast and motivation has never really been solidified. I think Kelly Sue's run has been great at answering who is Carol Danvers, but by making her a space job, her place in the world seems to be wherever she feels like being. Where characters like Spiderman, Thor and Iron Man have their supporting cast and their place in the world clearly defined...

micahparadise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius hmm I never thought of Medusa. Marvel has been doing ALOT with her recently and have really developed her character as a strong female lead character. But I don't think Medusa has the fan base for marvel to make that move. I did a Medusa threat last year and it seems as though persons do not like Medusa or her power set. :( (I personally like her)

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

@micahparadise:

Medusa is pretty much Marvel´s Black Canary. But Marvel Cinematic Universe seems to push characther´s popularity higher and if Inhumans and Inferno and Ms. Marvel arent the main characther, it´s possibel she also will get a push as well. Her powers has potencial who says that she doesnt start create hair creations like Iceman. But Medusa seems also train her physical and mental attributes to protect her people.

micahparadise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's confirmed a Carol Danvers movie is in the work for 2018 so we may see marvel Pushing her more to the forefront.

linkjt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's confirmed a Carol Danvers movie is in the work for 2018 so we may see marvel Pushing her more to the forefront.

I hope so.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.