Follow

Captain Atom

Character » Captain Atom appears in 809 issues.

Nathaniel Adam was coerced into an experiment which bonded alien metal to his skin and sent him 18 years into the future, giving birth to Captain Atom, a superhero fueled by the Quantum Field.

Is Captain Atom a God ?

Avatar image for kid_omega_prime
    Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kid_Omega_Prime

I was doing some reserch on Captain Atom and I found something very interesting.

Captain Atom's metal skin is tied into the Quantum Field, which enables him to absorb and manipulate infinite amounts of energy, for an infinite amount of purposes the amount of which he can do is limited solely by his will power and imagination. He truly reinforces this fact when he realized that the Quantum Field is completely under his control and he can do anything he wishes. With this realization he tests his powers and by simply thinking of it, he is able to instantly create a replica of our Earth from nothing, complete with life. His power was such that he was able to easily create his own replicas of Superman, Flash, Firestorm and even his own Spectre. His power is such, that he went even further and by simply thinking of it, was able to instantaneously create an entire universe out of nothing, and just as easily destroyed it, but he has never used this level of power again as a result of him mentally limiting himself. Captain Atom's energy absorption power is second to none in the DCU, as he is able to absorb any form of energy and store it in his person. Captain Atom can fire and control energy of any form. He commonly manipulates his energy into force field bubbles, or explosive bombs, but the most common form is a simple blast. Over the years, Captain Atom has become an expert at his energy manipulation and can fire from any point on his body, though he usually uses his hands for ease of aiming. He can fire in multiple directions at once or from every point of his body at once. Several times he has "detonated," releasing a massive amount of energy at once, destroying objects within a certain radius.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Rumble Man

@Kid_Omega_Prime: Creating a universe alone should give you recognition

doomsilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By doomsilver

He seems to have God-level power.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I think if Thor could be called a God, Captain Atom should be.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Static Shock

@Rumble Man: @Kid_Omega_Prime: It's important to note that the universe he created wasn't in the physical plane. It was in the Quantum Field, the realm that fuels his power. Check the page for more information.

@Adnan said:

I'm pretty sure he almost destroyed the Wildstorm Universe too at one point. From what I've read, his power is inconsistent. Seems to be one of those characters who are "as strong as the writer requires them to be", if you get what I mean.

He almost did, but that was because of the Void reaction that Apollo set off in his body. Power-wise, one could argue that he's a bit inconsistent at times.

gavinification

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gavinification

Having power does not make you a god. Being a god makes you a god. Ares is a god who isnt as powerful as galactus who isnt.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rumble Man

@gavinification: How does one 'become' a god, there are also myths and religions about a human receiving enlightenment to achieve godhood

gavinification

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gavinification

@Rumble Man: Being widely accepted as a god makes you a god. And if you are talking about Buddha him being enlightened does not mean that all buddhists see him as a god, only the chinese I think. Buddhism by itself doesnt have a god.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rumble Man

@gavinification: you mention the chinese, there we go godhood. Gods do not depend on human recognition.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By KainScion

wow. dc creates another god-like character. they sure dont make a lot of those. how original.

gavinification

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gavinification

@Rumble Man: You contradict yourself.

You say that because one chinese form of buddhism, which is not the majority of buddhists so does not constitute being widely accepted as a god as I said, recognises buddha as a god therefore he is a god. Then you say that gods don't depend on human recognition.

What else do they depend on to call themselves gods if not recognition? Another condition of being a god by the way, you have to call yourself one.

God is just a word for a certain group of beings, in marvel anyway. Power is not the criteria for being in that group.Im sure its similar in DC seeing as I know the pantheons exist in DC and they also have more powerful cosmic beings.

*May as well add one more condition, the other gods have to accept you as well.

I think that more or less eliminates all the powerful "mortals" that might get worshiped as gods or set them selves up as gods. Which was intentional on my part.

Afro_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Afro_Warrior

@KainScion:

Captain Atom's been around since the 60's and his ties to the Quantum field aren't anything new. So no. They haven't created a new god like character.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By KainScion

@Afro_Warrior: if you'd read my comment carefully i said created another god-like character not a new one. they reinvented him as a god-like character.

Dex_Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dex_Starr

@KainScion:Don't you have anything better to do than to troll DC character forums?

Avatar image for mathematicscore
    mathematicscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mathematicscore

@KainScion:@Afro_Warrior: And to be clear, Captain Atom was not a DC property when he was created, he was a Charlton Comics character, later acquired by DC.

Walker696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Walker696

Being powerful doesn't make you a god, if that's the case then a lot of beings in a lot of comics would be considered Gods. He has godlike abilities but that doesn't make him one. I'm not gonna argue about what makes a being a god because lets be honest no one really knows but all we can go on are stories and belief and you have to ask your self this, do you think DC would really try to make him a god or are they just putting him on Dr. Manhattan levels? The latter seems more realistic to me.

tamasuburo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do not believe that he himself is a god, but a person with the same abilities would be. His powers stem from the Quantum Field and to my understanding he has very little knowledge on the subject. If he were more intelligent he would be more powerful. Although if he was smarter the entire D/C Universe may be different.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Well technically no but he's pretty much a god in all but name.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I think if Thor could be called a God, Captain Atom should be.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain Atom is more powerful than many of the "so-called" gods.

Avatar image for baron_von_santa
    Baron_von_Santa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Baron_von_Santa

but power does not make you a god, it is just a title. i know a god of hedgehogs. and i know lucifer.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is a god? its something that is worshipped...captain atom is not worshipped as far as I know...I don't think he is a god, although he has "god-like" powers...

lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lol

he have godlike powers at least in the quantum field but....

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Saint_Sophie

@bezza: Ohmigosh I know this was almost a year ago and you probably already know, but I couldn't help myself.

That is what a "god" is.

It's a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes/affairs.

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: Ohmigosh I know this was almost a year ago and you probably already know, but I couldn't help myself.

That is what a "god" is.

It's a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes/affairs.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Seems like it.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

He's at the level of gods in the DCU, but he himself is not one.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is what a "god" is.

Ok....

Kind of weird getting called out over something you said nearly a year ago...

.more importantly, when is captain atom coming back?! His New 52 comic was short lived but great!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.